Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He'd be a good backup CM to have.

Sadly in our current state, people seem to think he's some top class CM. But anyway, he's a the least of our problems.

Treble

So what do you suddenly expect McTominay to carry our midfield and be a top player all of a sudden? He has clearly played himself into the squad and the first team, the problem is not that he managed to do that but the fact we do not even have any options far better than him. He does everything he possibly can to improve and that is good enough from him. He has done pretty well so far. The club desperately need new midfielders and the fact we went into the season needing McTominay to perform like a proven top player is pretty crazy. Such a gamble from the club and it is totally unfair to put that on the boy himself.
It's about his level as a player and his ceiling, not about whether he performs well in comparison with the level of the team. The fact he doesn't look out of place in this team shows the level of the team. Midtable-ish.

ottosec

Average player, overrated as feck for some reason. I am guessing it's because he's a big lad that always puts on a shift every time he plays and has a no-nonsense attitude. But he can't pass for shit and his positioning is all over the place. He needs a player like Matic next to him to cover the spaces he leaves open when he goes around chasing flies.

It's only a matter a time until he will have a dreadful patch that even the ones who think highly of him can't deny and he will end up a professional scapegoat like Lingard, Rashford, Welbeck, Cleverley, and many other donkeys before him.

Hawks2008

In an ideal world he's a squad player but now he is first choice. Don't think he's the long term answer.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s a mid table level CM. The fact that so many seem to think he’s good enough for us just shows how far standards have fallen.

Alabaster Codify7

He’s a mid table level CM. The fact that so many seem to think he’s good enough for us just shows how far standards have fallen.

This.
Scott's desire and commitment on the weekend, like other games, was unquestionable. But look at him running with the ball, driving through midfield, and the lack of technique and coordination. His limitations mean he'd actually be the IDEAL squad/rotation midfielder - academy product, 100% commitment, mucks in, puts in a shift.

But to have him as a guaranteed starter is to admit that we're settling for midfielders of the Brighton, Newcastle and Palace standard. Hard workers, reliable, but mid-table quality.

Based Adnan

There's nothing wrong with McTominay being a mid table player. He's a 22 year old academy CM ffs. The issue is the state of the squad which means McTominay has to play every game and is among the best midfielders in the squad.

From a development perspective he's coming on just fine and definitely has a place in the squad.

gza the genius

Looked like he was being asked to play the Pogba role at times which he clearly isn't suited to. I like Mctominay a lot but he's never going to be some creative savior to this midfield. He's good enough to be a cog in midfield or a great backup - instead with Pogba out he's being asked to be the main man while Matic and Pereira (or whoever else) shirk away from the responsibility.

Fracture90

I'm confused when it comes to MCT. I see him as a bulldog type of ball winning CMF, who can make an odd pass and run with the ball, but his offensive contribution is basically nonexistent. Don't see him being a solo DMF either and I don't think he's good enough to be a box2box CMF in a team with a traditional DMF and a creative MF.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm confused when it comes to MCT. I see him as a bulldog type of ball winning CMF, who can make an odd pass and run with the ball, but his offensive contribution is basically nonexistent. Don't see him being a solo DMF either and I don't think he's good enough to be a box2box CMF in a team with a traditional DMF and a creative MF.
Probably best thing is to train him to be traditional no 6. Playing as a water carrier by winning the ball back as protection in front of back four & recycle the ball. He has the composure to be given task to recycle the ball & keep the possession even when under pressure. Play him in midfield 3, with two midfielder who are not afraid to make forward passes on his left & right.

I see him as box to box at his current level but I think if he wants to stay at top club, I can't see him as a box to box but he might be able to make it as a traditional no 6. Just need to adapt the role & I think he will come good as a traditional holding mid.

SweetRightFoot

Probably best thing is to train him to be traditional no 6. Playing as a water carrier by winning the ball back as protection in front of back four & recycle the ball. He has the composure to be given task to recycle the ball & keep the possession even when under pressure. Play him in midfield 3, with two midfielder who are not afraid to make forward passes on his left & right.

I see him as box to box at his current level but I think if he wants to stay at top club, I can't see him as a box to box but he might be able to make it as a traditional no 6. Just need to adapt the role & I think he will come good as a traditional holding mid.
Completely agree. Strong, tall, not slow either, he should be focused on closing passing channels, shielding the defence behind him and recycling possession.

-----Pogba---Fred-----
----------Mctom---------

The above should be our preferred midfield set up, the players who lose the ball the most further forward and the players who don't like doing anything fancy with it further back. Really, really simple stuff to be honest.

Cloud7

The only person who can come out of today with their head held high really. James as well, but then he’s our best attacking player right now so I’ve come to expect it.

Bwuk

Only wish half the squad had his mentality. MOTM for us by a country mile.

MrBrightside1989

I thought he looked pretty good today, cracker of a goal and our only player who looked to be driving us forward.
Somehow has gone from an average squad filler to perhaps a future captain of the club...

Yagami

Good post resistant
When he got the ball in the edge of the area I just had a guy feeling he'd score. Overall, a good game despite that header he missed.

el3mel

Amazing strike. Feel bad for him as in the 3 matches he scored we didn't win. :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's a trier. Great goal and always gives his all. Not much else you can say really. I'm not convinced he's got the quality but I'd love him to prove me wrong. God knows we need something to give us hope about the future.

kundalini

Needed him to score his big chance from the corner we shouldn't have got as Dan James kicked the ball against his other leg. Apart from that, decent performance, super goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The type of performance Pogba should be delivering tbh

Head and shoulders our best player on the pitch tonight

AFC NimbleThumb

I always feel like I know where he’s going to pass or run. There was a point on the edge of our box where I called him losing the ball to then give a foul.

He would be an amazing 4/5th choice midfielder in a top squad.

I just don’t see the lofty expectations for him.

Kag

Look, the strike was marvellous. But he doesn’t get on the ball enough for a midfielder.

There’s lots to like about him in terms of drive but he isn’t an effective midfielder at this level. Not yet, at least.

mewnew11

Just a brilliant performance from him. Drove the ball and fought for it hard.

We have many problems and mctominay is not one. Future United captain I am sure

Dan_F

He’s never a defensive midfielder. Always looks best when closing down or running forward. Logically, a Carrick type number six who can break the lines, with Scott and Pogba ahead should be well balanced midfield.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He played well overall today but he has to be taking that chance in the second half.

acnumber9

When you only have two midfielders you need to get on the ball more than McTominay does. Decent squad player but it’s a problem that he’s comfortably first choice.

Martialfc

Bad when Mctominay is your best player. Shows us the current state of the squad.

Walters_19_MuFc

Get a deeplying playmaker next to him and watch him shine. He is a box to box destroyer.

Was fantastic tonight. Took his goal well too.

Roboc7

Great goal just like in Leicester game he was our best player despite not really having much quality (other than the goal). It’s just sheer will, determination and effort which we lack elsewhere.

He’s had a poor season but has excelled in the games against Leicester and Arsenal, suited to the bigger games.

Lemansky

I really like Scott. The main positive thing so far this season, will be a good player for us for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.