Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Playing him at CB in a 3 man defence away to West Ham in a must win match, when we had Bailly and Darmian on the bench - then stating after the match "we have no good defenders"... yes 2000% i'd say that was a political move.

He then did it again at home to Southampton I think it was? and he got subbed at HT. We didn't see Scott again all season.
You're a good bloke and I like your posts but what is ridiculous is that you think serial winner Jose Mourinho would blow a (what you called) "must win" match just to showcase to the world that McTominay is shite at playing CB. His job was under threat ffs.

He was being played as a striker at U23 level before Jose brought him in for christs sake. Starting games is definitely a sign of confidence regardless of where he was being played. Jose obviously saw him as more disciplined than Bailly and Darmian and his physical presence was integral because we were conceding many set pieces last season.

"we have no good defenders" last season was a seriously valid point, I don't know why you're mocking it. Even now Lindelof seems very suspect to aerial battles. McTominay for presence alone was needed with how many cheap corners we conceded.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You're a good bloke and I like your posts but what is ridiculous is that you think serial winner Jose Mourinho would blow a (what you called) "must win" match just to showcase to the world that McTominay is shite at playing CB. His job was under threat ffs.

He was being played as a striker at U23 level before Jose brought him in for christs sake. Starting games is definitely a sign of confidence regardless of where he was being played. Jose obviously saw him as more disciplined than Bailly and Darmian and his physical presence was integral because we were conceding many set pieces last season.

"we have no good defenders" last season was a seriously valid point, I don't know why you're mocking it. Even now Lindelof seems very suspect to aerial battles. McTominay for presence alone was needed with how many cheap corners we conceded.
Honestly? Yes. I think Jose was being a spoilt brat at that point.

Did we need to play a 3 man defence away to a struggling West Ham? no way.

For whatever reason (only Jose will know) he went from playing him as a midfielder to a CB. He's never played there in his life.

Mctominay LOOKED like he's never even played it in training, was completely out of his depth.

Instead of Jose holding his hands up and saying he made a mistake, he went on a rant about not having any defenders, even though he had 2 on the pitch and 2 on the bench.

Yes Jose is caniving enough to do something like this on purpose with an alterior motive, I truly believe that. Go back to the match threads / post match and read the comments, many people agreed the same thing at the time.

You have to remember the Mctominay of NOW, is very different to the one that was playing then.

romufc

Yeh agreed. I just pointed out, act like that on the field isn't a sign of a "leader".

Was Lukaku a leader also? pointing, clapping, shouting at teammates.
Actually Lukaku only clapped and shouted when the ball is played to him and he mis controlled it. Not when the ball is out of play and someone is out of position.

And NO just because he points to people he is not a leader.

If you watch in game, he does what a leader does, gets on the ball and wants to play.

He takes charge.. when the team is on the backfoot nothing happening, he will pick the ball from CB's and drive, trying to lift everyone.

Yes, he might lose it once or twice but that is how you grow.

That is why fans call him a leader.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Actually Lukaku only clapped and shouted when the ball is played to him and he mis controlled it. Not when the ball is out of play and someone is out of position.

And NO just because he points to people he is not a leader.

If you watch in game, he does what a leader does, gets on the ball and wants to play.

He takes charge.. when the team is on the backfoot nothing happening, he will pick the ball from CB's and drive, trying to lift everyone.

Yes, he might lose it once or twice but that is how you grow.

That is why fans call him a leader.
My post was referring to that clip. Shouting on others and looked angry are not a sign of leader, especially for a player with his only 1st season as starter. He hasn't proved anything yet. It's not whether he's an actual leader or not.

Last edited:

Njord

Would like to see him and Pogba in a midfield with a holding player behind them. I think that would bring out the best of both. Will be intersting to see if Garner could be that player.

If McTominay were moved higher up the pitch I could see him being extremely effective with a high press, winning the ball back in attacking positions. He would be a big threat with runs into the box or down the right channel, and also with his shots from outside the box. Can see him becoming a more industrial version of Gerrard/Lampard, with maybe less skill, but more physique.

luisnani86

In all fairness - I thought his passing was pretty awful today (much worse than Fred's - although I gave them the same rating as McT was much more combative and worked harder) and I'm shocked to see he's higher rated overall than Rashford who I felt played with confidence and hardly had a poor touch all game.

Ekeke

66% passing accuracy today. Says it all really.

Mid table player.
Before today his season average in the premier league was 80%. Not what you'd expect from a player who takes the simple option with his passes. Without a doubt an area that needs improvement

Roboc7

Very good last two games, absolutely useless today. Games like that highlight all his weaknesses and he looks no different than every other midtable midfielder in the league.

Has to work on his passing, it’s so erratic especially as he isn’t really playing difficult passes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not a good game from him but asking for consistency from a 22 year old midfielder isn't something you can rely on

Ban

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll have a good game in a month, and you can praise him as the new Keane/Robson again.
Yeah I never did that but you couldn't wait for a game like this to come back with that kind of silly suff.

AneRu

Combative but awful on the ball, surprising that he and Fred last the ninety.

marktan

His passing is a bit off but I'd like to see him take on players more. When he starts running he's hard to stop. Needs to realise his physicity especially out wide can cause provlems for teams.

Does seem to rush passes a little too. I think the quality is there but the maturity is not.

Untd55

66% passing accuracy today. Says it all really.

Mid table player.
His passing success in the Premier League is only 79% overall, and that is not including today. How anyone thinks this guy is good enough is beyond me.

He is so easy to dispossess as well. People complain about Fred, but this guy might as well be an opposition player with how often he passes to the opposition.

I could name players in the Championship that do exactly what he does. He is so painfully average.

Classical Mechanic

His passing success in the Premier League is only 79% overall, and that is not including today. How anyone thinks this guy is good enough is beyond me.

He is so easy to dispossess as well. People complain about Fred, but this guy might as well be an opposition player with how often he passes to the opposition.
I say this a lot in this thread but he’s pretty useless against packed defences because he’s technically limited. He needs the game open and intense to show his qualities.

AFC NimbleThumb

The opinions on this guy are so extreme.

She’s an alright player, doesn’t particularly excel at any one thing but recycles possesion adequately.

Why people need to build someone up as the next [insert name] confuses me; this isn’t the squad to be drawing comparisons with legends.

Andersons Dietician

Another game again where he just lets people run off him or watches danger develop and does nothing about it. I think it’s the 74th minute where Wilson is right in front of him and he can see it all developing and he only tries to get at him when it’s way too late and already happened.

couple of other times he was just jogging back when we are in danger and he does this game after game. He really doesn’t seem to like defending facing his own goal. Maybe he is just gassed but last game Fred was sprinting past him to get at people and did it again today. That’s just not on.

Aouer-United

Mctominay has to be squad player next season, it's fecking disgrace that everyone thinks he should be the first team on the player and buy midfielder to build around him, especially for one of the biggest clubs in world. WE deserve much better midfielder who can pass and defend so well and able to control the midfield.

El Jefe

Today's performance reminded us that he's still Scott Mctominay. He has deserved the praise he's received over the last month or so but he's a good player and that's it. He's still far below the required quality to dominate games week in week out.

Redo91

Let’s be honest himself and Fred just reverted to their usual standard today. They had been playing beyond themselves beyond those games. That level of performance was never going to be sustained.

Ban

From a great player to squad player next season and never gonna make it. Why can't we have a middle ground on him.

Untd55

I say this a lot in this thread but he’s pretty useless against packed defences because he’s technically limited. He needs the game open and intense to show his qualities.
That is the issue that makes him nowhere near good enough for Manutd. A Manchester United midfield, at a minimum, should be technically gifted, particularly if they are in the first team.

We have fallen from Carrick and Scholes (two great passers) to McTominay, who has a 21% chance of his pass not reaching a teammate.

Mcking

He's good at putting himself about, but there is a reason we struggle to dominate territory with him as our no.1 midfielder. An average talent.

Idxomer

Another game again where he just lets people run off him or watches danger develop and does nothing about it. I think it’s the 74th minute where Wilson is right in front of him and he can see it all developing and he only tries to get at him when it’s way too late and already happened.

couple of other times he was just jogging back when we are in danger and he does this game after game. He really doesn’t seem to like defending facing his own goal. Maybe he is just gassed but last game Fred was sprinting past him to get at people and did it again today. That’s just not on.
Spot on. Even when he's having a good game, the hovering around the ball without actually doing anything happens a lot. Look for evidence Cantwell's early chance in the Norwich game.

Classical Mechanic

That is the issue that makes him nowhere near good enough for Manutd. A Manchester United midfield, at a minimum, should be technically gifted, particularly if they are in the first team.

We have fallen from Carrick and Scholes (two great passers) to McTominay, who has a 21% chance of his pass not reaching a teammate.
I agree, really he should be that useful squad player brought in to do a job against bigger sides that want to play football, where the midfield is up and down most of the game.

Bojan11

The over the top praise he was getting was ridiculous. Some think he should be future captain.

He can’t pass and is clueless when he’s got to be a bit more creative with his passing. He’s nowhere near good enough.

Ban

The over the top praise he was getting was ridiculous. Some think he should be future captain.

He can’t pass and is clueless when he’s got to be a bit more creative with his passing. He’s nowhere near good enough.
Thing is, he shouldnt be the most creative midfielder on the pitch. That shouldn't be his primary job.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Disappointed performance today but he’s been playing a lot lately. 5 games in 2 weeks. Needs a rest in Europa league this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.