6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

I refuse to agree with everyone else. He is easily good enough for a team challenging for top 4. Either one of him or Fred wouldn't feel like a liability if they played alongside Pogba and another creative mid. They would probably look fine also with someone like prime ozil ahead of them. There is no point in winning the ball back and getting it to Andreas/Mata/lingard.

It's similar to our cb's in that they are not a good balance. As shit as Bailly is and as young as Tuanzebe is they complement Maguire better than Lindelof does.

NWRed

He was shocking yesterday. Not alone in that but he was poor from the first minute. His pass completion stats must be appalling.

He was shocking yesterday. Not alone in that but he was poor from the first minute. His pass completion stats must be appalling.
As good as he was vs. Chelsea, he was as poor vs. Bournemouth.
Shocking display, Fred was much better and he’s taking loads of stick.
Andreas was our worst player though, absolutely pants.

settembrini

There is no point in winning the ball back and getting it to Andreas/Mata/lingard.
This is a succinct explanation of our biggest problem this season.

37 appearances between them this season. 0 goals, 2 assists! Stats like that shouldn't even be possible.

Just imagine how much better off we would have been had we managed to get Dybala :(

Wasnt great today but I hope hes not injured. We have zero depth in his position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He wasn't good today, too many misplaced passes especially the easy ones. Hopefully he isn't injured, we will have to rely on Garner to start vs Brighton.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He wasn't good today, too many misplaced passes especially the easy ones. Hopefully he isn't injured, we will have to rely on Garner to start vs Brighton.
Will almost certainly be Pereira in central midfield.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's the type of player we would due to the grit and determination he offers the midfield.

The alternative is Matic :nervous:

Augustus Gloop

I thought he was decent tonight. Always looking to move it forward. Passing was loose at points but considering how often he was on the ball it was good enough

I think the decision to take off Fred is cause Ole is so reliant on Scott, he’s a safer pair of hands

dbs235

He's been overrated in recent weeks due to being better than Fred and Perreira basically. Not trying to bash him - he is what is he is. A hardworking player who gives his all for us, which in our current state is important. If we want United back to where we were, we need a midfield that can take on the best in Europe. He obviously won't be that level.

Andersons Dietician

I want adventurous passing but seriously some of his passing today was just stupid. Absolutely no chance of him executing them. Prime Xavi,Scholes and Iniesta couldn’t make some of the things he was trying. Looked at times like he was just kicking it off the opposition.

Roboc7

Needs to just keep practicing his passing, it’s so poor for someone who is playing simple passes most of the time.

Him and Fred are lacking in quality but at least they are mobile and work hard. It’s not good enough but it’s something and alternative is Matic.

Augustus Gloop

Some harsh reactions in here!

but aye to kick on to the next level
You don’t want everyone blowing smoke up his ass.

with that said I still thought he was 7/10 tonight and good.

Based Adnan

He was trying more creative passes through the lines and, as it's not in his natural game, he gave away a few sloppy balls. I don't actually mind that because games like today are the games to try something outside of your comfort zone. A few were really good particularly in the first half. It shows intent and you don't improve without trying.

Really hope he's not injured. He's a vital player for us.

Reddevildans

Rather have players who pass forwards and play those high risk through balls through the midfield. As long as he doesnt do it in our own half. I've noticed a higher percentage of forward passing from him. Just needs to execute it better.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I will never critizice a midfielder who misses a high risk pass that has the chance to open up the defence, but missing as many simple passes as Scott has done in these two last games is unacceptable. He really needs to focus on developing that part of his game.

RuudTom83

Ole is going to have all these young players absolutely knackered after Christmas if he keeps playing them every game.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I heard some chanting when he came off injured. I sincerely hope it was this:

We're fecking gay!
We're fecking gay!
Gay for Mc-fecking-Tominay!
I want him deep, deep inside me
Gay for Mc-fecking Tominay!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Think this game exemplifies him perfectly, plenty of effort and drive in him, and has some really good moments, but its also sprinkled with poor decisions. Hes only 22 though and if he keeps improving hes going to be a useful player.

LoneStar

He's been overrated in recent weeks due to being better than Fred and Perreira basically. Not trying to bash him - he is what is he is. A hardworking player who gives his all for us, which in our current state is important. If we want United back to where we were, we need a midfield that can take on the best in Europe. He obviously won't be that level.
I disagree. Do Liverpool have world class midfielders playing for them? They won the CL last year, and have been a dominant force for two years now.

What you need is a functional midfield. When we don’t have a playmaker or a creative midfielder, of course he will look a bit bad because he is pretty much the whole midfield. Bring in some competent midfielders around him and he’ll look a whole another level.

With Pogba potentially leaving and our other midfielders being shite, he is the only starter I can think for next season. And if he continues to improve, I see no reason why he can’t be a starter in a top team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Needs to just keep practicing his passing, it’s so poor for someone who is playing simple passes most of the time.

Him and Fred are lacking in quality but at least they are mobile and work hard. It’s not good enough but it’s something and alternative is Matic.
How do people rate his passing compared to say, a Kante or Ndidi? Theres not many high quality midfielders I can think of who are poor/mediocre passers. It's my one worry with Mctominay.

In Rainbows

I disagree. Do Liverpool have world class midfielders playing for them? They won the CL last year, and have been a dominant force for two years now.

What you need is a functional midfield. When we don’t have a playmaker or a creative midfielder, of course he will look a bit bad because he is pretty much the whole midfield. Bring in some competent midfielders around him and he’ll look a whole another level.

With Pogba potentially leaving and our other midfielders being shite, he is the only starter I can think for next season. And if he continues to improve, I see no reason why he can’t be a starter in a top team.
This is true, but it's not like Klopp didn't want to improve the midfield. That's why he got Fabinho, Keita, and almost got Fekir (failed medical).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How do people rate his passing compared to say, a Kante or Ndidi? Theres not many high quality midfielders I can think of who are poor/mediocre passers. It's my one worry with Mctominay.
Tbf to Kante he is very good passer. Completely on different level compared to Ndidi and McTominay.

dbs235

Fabinho is pretty much considered world class now and Henderson and Wijnaldum contributed a lot to Liverpool's UCL run last year. Won't be a popular opinon on here but Henderson is a bit underrated to be honest.

Craig Ward

I echo a lot of the comments on here, he's the best of our midfielders currently and by some distance, but that's not saying he is the answer.

My issue with McTom is has a certain skillset and he's trying to be more than what he is capable of (currently anyway).

Against Partizan, his work rate was unreal, his tackling/positional play/interceptions were very good, his willingness to get on the ball was always there, and to be fair, he did try and play it forward more often than not. BUT...….

I felt he was over eager to be on the ball, often coming way to deep or too wide - he must have put so much running in his legs to pick up needless balls. for example - nearly running 20 yards to take the ball off maguire or Rojo from a yard away when neither of them were under pressure. Maguire is capable of bringing the ball out isn't he? its an asset to his game, what we were missing, no? I sometimes felt he was over complicating the play by doing that - in essence he's run backwards to move the ball sideways to Fred while the back 4 are naturally kept deeper cos they haven't stepped out with the ball. Sometimes its more effective to let the ball come to you (while ensuring your not marked and in a position to receive it of course)

So there are flaws, but there will be. I could pick more flaws in Fred's game than Scott's to be fair. Not just to make this about McTom, although it is his thread but I have to mention passing. The passing against Partizan was frankly, abysmal. He wasn't the worst, but he was very guilty of simply gifting possession back. As a central midfielder, you cannot be that wasteful.

The kind of passing Mctom displayed just will not cut if against quality opposition. That's a massive issue with his game.

On the positive though, he's turned into a very important player and long term he will be in or most certainly around the squad. He will get better with age and with better players. If we harbour any hopes of future success, as hard as Fred & Periera work we simply need better quality incomings to the squad. So the future is bright for "McSauce" - he just needs to sharpen up his passing/ball retention and he'll be fine

He's a good player

KennyBurner

I feel like we’re being harsh on him. Hasn’t been great these past 2 games but it’s all a Learning process. It’s better he makes those shitty passes now and learns from them.

right now his biggest issue is his control of the ball. It’s way to sloppy. It’s not as bad as Fred’s but still to loose. He kicks the ball way to far in a tight knitted midfield which gives the opposition a chance to dispossess him. If we had a better attacking midfielder he wouldn’t always try and force the issue which leads to sloppy passes occasionally.

right now I’m very happy with how he’s progressing. He is very consistent and that’s what you want especially from a midfielder.

Alfie092

Mixed game from him but he will continue to get better.

If McTominay and Fred play alongside Pogba in a midfield 3 (or Pogba as a number 10) I believe they will look significantly better. It's clear at this moment in time they are not close in terms of the creativity Pogba gives you. Let Pogba focus on the creativity and that way McTominay and Fred won't feel the pressure of having to be the players in midfield to create chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.