6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

Southgate must be regretting it big time. Apparently sent him a text and essentialy said he will be behind Harry Winks, Nathan Chalobah and Lewis Cook. McLeish made his way to Carrington during the middle of the beast from the east storm.

arthurka

Stats don't tell the whole picture. You can play safe all game and have a 95% passing accuracy like Cleverley used too, but you go nowhere so whats the point? both he and Fred were forcing passes and trying to drive us up the pitch.

He did lose the ball once in midfield that I can remember, mainly from an awful pass from Lindelof that put him under pressure.

For the fact he's only trained for a few days, I was very, very happy with his performance. I think you're being massively picky and judgemental.
It was our 80m signing but you are totally right it was a really poor choice of passes from our CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was our 80m signing but you are totally right it was a really poor choice of passes from our CB.
We're probably talking a different part. Lindelof laid the ball off to him but under hit it really softly, so by the time it got to him he turned then Eriksen nipped it off him.

Tbh both he and Maguire were shite on the ball last night. Genuinely no different than Smalling was.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am so happy for the lad after all the grief our fan base has given him over the past few seasons. Patience is scarce commodity amongst football fans
Very well said. Like so many of our younger home grown players, one poor game and the criticism flows.
Of all the players in our squad, he has the best character.
Well done to him.

AshRK

With all due respect to Rashford , who has been phenomenal, for me McTominay has been our player of the season so far. Ole needs to make sure he is getting adequate rest and is not burnt out. But with his mentality I can see him playing every game without much fuss. Top personality. He will have his bad games but with his age and attitude he can only go up. Thanks Jose.

Classnordic

A really welcoming attitude, missed someone with grit and no bullshit mindset.

Adam-Utd

Wonder what Roy Keane thinks of him?

I loved how he seemed to start a fight with Kane, Alli and Gazzinigga in one match :lol: he just doesn't back down to anybody.

Did anybody else notice Alli tripped him up off the ball when Mctominay was running back to cover? sly little bastard. He did well to keep his cool.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Utterly obsessed with being the best he can be.

His character probably exceeds his quality but he's improving in front of our eyes and we can only hope it goes as far as possible.

We all hope that we're title challengers 5 or so years from now. If we are, he needs to have the quality to get in that side and if he does, he wears the armband.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wonder what Roy Keane thinks of him?

I loved how he seemed to start a fight with Kane, Alli and Gazzinigga in one match :lol: he just doesn't back down to anybody.

Did anybody else notice Alli tripped him up off the ball when Mctominay was running back to cover? sly little bastard. He did well to keep his cool.
Their Gk was just a twat, trying to hurt his ankle.

Btw McT vs Kane

Adam-Utd

Their Gk was just a twat, trying to hurt his ankle.

Btw McT vs Kane

He's genuinely becoming my favourite player right now. Having somebody in your team like that really does boost morale.

For a young lad he's very vocal too, no wonder Mourinho loved him. The sky really is the limit for him if he can keep working hard.

Canagel

Fred carried him yesterday. Weird to see all this praise
You're absolutely right (backed up by the stats) but some won't want to hear it because they already formed their opinions on him and it will look bad on them to go back on it. I would also argue the price tag make a huge difference when analyzing the performance.

Augustus Gloop

You're absolutely right (backed up by the stats) but some won't want to hear it because they already formed their opinions on him and it will look bad on them to go back on it. I would also argue the price tag make a huge difference when analyzing the performance.
Would you get Andreas back in next to Fred for City then? Can’t have any passengers for that

arthurka

We're probably talking a different part. Lindelof laid the ball off to him but under hit it really softly, so by the time it got to him he turned then Eriksen nipped it off him.

Tbh both he and Maguire were shite on the ball last night. Genuinely no different than Smalling was.
Yes probably, and I fully agree with you on our CB's.

Nick7

Bizarre. He absolutely was not carried by Fred if you actually watch the game instead of relying on stats.

Havak

Pokemon master
Last night actually wasn't one of his better performances, which is understandable having just come back from what looked like an awkward injury. However, he just seems to add an energy to the midfield and it's infectious. Fred looks more than three times the player he usually does when he's alongside McTominay in midfield. I'd really like to see those two with Pogba for a run of games over the festive period (hoping they can start together vs Everton, Watford, and Newcastle before our trip to Arsenal on New Year's Day).

RedCurry

There was a time last season people actually disagreed with me when I said McTominay is a better midfielder than Matic.

dogwithabone

Have to be honest I didn’t think he could become quite this good. He’s got great athleticism and looks to have the lot on the ball. Misjudged the weight of a few passes last night but he gives us that bite and physicality in midfield that we haven’t had for a long time. De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Rashford, McTominay, James, there’s the makings of a pretty handy team starting to emerge.

Still work, a lot of it, to do but last night we played with an identity and passion that’s been all too infrequent. Good to hear the crowd really backing the team and manager too. Any sort of positive result against City and our season may just be retrievable.

bsCallout

My favourite player.

I think he brings as much to this team as anyone. Not the best technically but is a driving force in this team.

Yesterday wasn't his best performance but his tenacity brings the best out of other players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He already has a very good shot on him. That said, with the ‘agenda’ accusations, I was reading all the glee over the last couple of pages afraid of being the one to raise the concern about the fact that he can’t pass a fecking ball anywhere near well enough. Thankfully a couple of others have mentioned it now. In all this unbridled praise, I’m here scratching my head that it doesn’t seem to bother people how often he gives the ball away. Reading the match day thread, I saw it mentioned throughout the game, and then came in here and the summary is ‘Roy Keane’s back’.

To me, he does a lot of things very well, but he isn’t good enough on the ball. My concern with the midfield is that we seem to be a ‘stop the other team playing’ midfield, even at our very best. A good performance is how often we broke up the play and all that stuff, and has been that way for a few years now, especially against the better teams. I think at our stature, we need to start moving towards controlling possession ourselves. I still see our midfield unable to make a lot of passes that would make the difference, and just the general play one-touch triangles etc. The emphasis on tackling, chasing, blocking and pressing is a bit too much for my liking.
I do agree somewhat, but I also think it's important to note how much McTominay has already improved in the last 12 months. Up until about March he'd regularly have great matches against top sides where he didn't have to do anything except harass and defend, but he pretty much never provided anything against lower teams that we were expected to beat. Then suddenly in the last couple of months of last season he started showing a significant improvement on the ball in terms of passing, touch and also driving the ball forward himself. There was a small period earlier this season where he seemed to go back into his shell, but overall he's continued showing that improved ability most of this season so far.

Of course the big question is - how much further can he improve? RIght now I'd say he's at or close to an 'acceptable' level most of the time, but hopefully he can continue improving and turn it into an actual strength.

Sanchez7

Physically dominant yesterday with great attitude. He did have a few bad moments where he got dispossessed in a dangerous area that could have cost us a goal though.

Eriku

Yeah - McTominays passing is actually very Keane-esque.

I feel a lot of people on the caf may never have seen Keane play in the flesh so your comparison has made me think . Keane did indeed drive a lot of forward passes through the lines the way Scott McTominay does.

They might have complained that Roy Keanes passing was poor too - because sometimes it was. I can’t really think of too many occasions where Keane directly -made- a goal, he had 33 assists in well over 300 games. But he always fizzed the ball in to the strikers or out wide and got things moving whenever he could - it was more the impetus he gave us and if you watch old Man Utd games it’s plain to see.

I’m extremely excited by McTominays continuing improvement. Scotland with him and McGinn will have one -hell- of a midfield. Man Utd look good with him and Fred even

Still think we need to sign someone to play next to him as I see Pogba getting sold.
The point in bold is a good one, I feel. We’ve been missing someone who, with a firm pass, can indicate that it’s time for some quick combination play.

dutchred

The point in bold is a good one, I feel. We’ve been missing someone who, with a firm pass, can indicate that it’s time for some quick combination play.
I agree. It's not always what he does, but the impact he has on the team's performance.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
He has his evident weak areas, but his defensive contribution can not be overstated. His positioning is great, and he links so well defensively with the CB's - something we're sorely lacking without him on the pitch, resulting in piss-poor defensive contribution from the central midfield. With McTominay on the pitch the CB's seem much more comfortable to push further up in the pitch when the opposition has the ball and alleviate him and Fred, ensuring a much smaller area in the central part of the pitch for the opposition work with.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I do agree somewhat, but I also think it's important to note how much McTominay has already improved in the last 12 months. Up until about March he'd regularly have great matches against top sides where he didn't have to do anything except harass and defend, but he pretty much never provided anything against lower teams that we were expected to beat. Then suddenly in the last couple of months of last season he started showing a significant improvement on the ball in terms of passing, touch and also driving the ball forward himself. There was a small period earlier this season where he seemed to go back into his shell, but overall he's continued showing that improved ability most of this season so far.

Of course the big question is - how much further can he improve? RIght now I'd say he's at or close to an 'acceptable' level most of the time, but hopefully he can continue improving and turn it into an actual strength.
Fair enough. Personally, I think his passing is consistently at the same level, which isn’t very good. I’m not sure what the stats say, but I imagine the percentage isn’t very high.

I am warming to him for sure, but objectively speaking, I think the praise being lavished on him is extremely excessive. But I appreciate that from all corners, I am becoming something of a lone voice in that respect. Sometimes I wish some of us could watch the same game together, rather than me seeming like a ‘McTominay hater’, because it really isn’t making much sense to me. Like, I think Fred has easily been better than him this season, but the consensus seems very different. I watch games where I see him give the ball away a lot and genuinely think ‘I hope people are not too hard on him’, only to come into his thread and see a chorus of ‘amazing, future captain’ etc.

My main concern is what him as a mainstay means for the unit - the midfield trio. I think to control possession you need players of a technically high level in tandem. Having a class number 10 is only half the story unless he has an 8 who he can bounce off and play his triangles with.

Now I’ll talk about what I do like. He has great energy for a start, so him and Fred in there together makes us an uncomfortable team to play through. He has a good shot on him as I mentioned before, and I see him as a player with a goal threat. He has a good attitude to the game, and a physical presence. Ultimately, I see him as a more modern and useful version of Fellaini for us. He will get goals, he has nuisance factor, and crucially, more energy than Fellaini. But he is not a ‘world class talent’ or ‘could walk into most starting XIs’ as I’ve seen, which isn’t a criticism. He could never play for a Pep team, for example, as he cannot pass a ball to a high enough level. This is a fact, not a point of ‘hatred’, his passing and use of the ball is consistently not good enough.

I think we could theoretically have a midfield with him doing a ‘bit of everything’, Pogba doing some creating, and Fred doing the shielding, and while that is the best we can hope for now, and a layman view is that their qualities compliment each other - I don’t think it’s the best unit. For me, a great midfield needs at least two very good passers, as the notion of having just Pogba to create doesn’t really work. Especially when we don’t even have full backs who are very good on the ball, Pogba can’t just get the ball and ‘create’ - before the killer ball, he needs people to play with, in all areas. Ultimately, I’d like a midfielder better on the ball than Scott, but with a similar energy. I think Sean Longstaff was identified as this player, and he is an example who has the technical ability for him and a good 10 to bring the best out of each other.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Fair enough. Personally, I think his passing is consistently at the same level, which isn’t very good. I’m not sure what the stats say, but I imagine the percentage isn’t very high.

I am warming to him for sure, but objectively speaking, I think the praise being lavished on him is extremely excessive. But I appreciate that from all corners, I am becoming something of a lone voice in that respect. Sometimes I wish some of us could watch the same game together, rather than me seeming like a ‘McTominay hater’, because it really isn’t making much sense to me. Like, I think Fred has easily been better than him this season, but the consensus seems very different. I watch games where I see him give the ball away a lot and genuinely think ‘I hope people are not too hard on him’, only to come into his thread and see a chorus of ‘amazing, future captain’ etc.

My main concern is what him as a mainstay means for the unit - the midfield trio. I think to control possession you need players of a technically high level in tandem. Having a class number 10 is only half the story unless he has an 8 who he can bounce off and play his triangles with.

Now I’ll talk about what I do like. He has great energy for a start, so him and Fred in there together makes us an uncomfortable team to play through. He has a good shot on him as I mentioned before, and I see him as a player with a goal threat. He has a good attitude to the game, and a physical presence. Ultimately, I see him as a more modern and useful version of Fellaini for us. He will get goals, he has nuisance factor, and crucially, more energy than Fellaini. But he is not a ‘world class talent’ or ‘could walk into most starting XIs’ as I’ve seen, which isn’t a criticism. He could never play for a Pep team, for example, as he cannot pass a ball to a high enough level. This is a fact, not a point of ‘hatred’, his passing and use of the ball is consistently not good enough.

I think we could theoretically have a midfield with him doing a ‘bit of everything’, Pogba doing some creating, and Fred doing the shielding, and while that is the best we can hope for now, and a layman view is that their qualities compliment each other - I don’t think it’s the best unit. For me, a great midfield needs at least two very good passers, as the notion of having just Pogba to create doesn’t really work. Especially when we don’t even have full backs who are very good on the ball, Pogba can’t just get the ball and ‘create’ - before the killer ball, he needs people to play with, in all areas. Ultimately, I’d like a midfielder better on the ball than Scott, but with a similar energy. I think Sean Longstaff was identified as this player, and he is an example who has the technical ability for him and a good 10 to bring the best out of each other.
You're definitely not a lone voice. I actually thought he was quite poor overall last night.
There was at least three/four occasions were he could have set up great counter attacking opportunities with relatively straightforward passes but messed them up
I was surprised to see all the rave reviews about his performance afterwards.

Overall, I think he's improving and could turn out to be a good player but, currently, he's way off and we need to be careful with building these guys up to be something that they're not, that's precisely how we end up paying the likes of Jesse Lingard £150,000 a week.

Devil may care

Good to have him back, he's an average footballer but has a great attitude and adds some grit to the midfield.

criticalanalysis

Agree with both points but I think even before that happens we may need to reign in the idealistic way of playing and 'settle' on a functional midfield that can compete in work rate and nuance (which is admitedly utterly reliant on Pogba here).

That's a big if too because we're not sure if OGS will be able to coach the team in the right way or have the tactics. However, I do feel with the right setup, the passing triangles, all round passing and movement can work well/improve because the idea is that a three in the middle, creates more compact areas of play i.e Fred/McTominay will have more options to play the quick 5-10 yard passes and have opportunities on the turn because Pogba/full backs will be closer. Not like now where Lingard/Mata seem to think they are 2nd strikers and are 20 yards away.

This team is crying out for Poch because the squad has all the players of varying mixed abilities and skillset that he should be able to utilise to a much higher standard than we've been seeing.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't think he's an average footballer.

His dribbling in tight spaces is fantastic, he knows where to put his body, he has surprisingly good acceleration and can drive forward very effectively. And obviously we know how good he is defensively.

His passing can improve, it has already notably improved since he's broken through and I don't see why it can't continue to progress. Developing an eye for goal too with a good shot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.