6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

His dribbling at speed and ability to draw fouls is great. You can tell he grew up learning to play football as a midget.

KennyBurner

Fair enough. Personally, I think his passing is consistently at the same level, which isn’t very good. I’m not sure what the stats say, but I imagine the percentage isn’t very high.

I am warming to him for sure, but objectively speaking, I think the praise being lavished on him is extremely excessive. But I appreciate that from all corners, I am becoming something of a lone voice in that respect. Sometimes I wish some of us could watch the same game together, rather than me seeming like a ‘McTominay hater’, because it really isn’t making much sense to me. Like, I think Fred has easily been better than him this season, but the consensus seems very different. I watch games where I see him give the ball away a lot and genuinely think ‘I hope people are not too hard on him’, only to come into his thread and see a chorus of ‘amazing, future captain’ etc.

My main concern is what him as a mainstay means for the unit - the midfield trio. I think to control possession you need players of a technically high level in tandem. Having a class number 10 is only half the story unless he has an 8 who he can bounce off and play his triangles with.

Now I’ll talk about what I do like. He has great energy for a start, so him and Fred in there together makes us an uncomfortable team to play through. He has a good shot on him as I mentioned before, and I see him as a player with a goal threat. He has a good attitude to the game, and a physical presence. Ultimately, I see him as a more modern and useful version of Fellaini for us. He will get goals, he has nuisance factor, and crucially, more energy than Fellaini. But he is not a ‘world class talent’ or ‘could walk into most starting XIs’ as I’ve seen, which isn’t a criticism. He could never play for a Pep team, for example, as he cannot pass a ball to a high enough level. This is a fact, not a point of ‘hatred’, his passing and use of the ball is consistently not good enough.

I think we could theoretically have a midfield with him doing a ‘bit of everything’, Pogba doing some creating, and Fred doing the shielding, and while that is the best we can hope for now, and a layman view is that their qualities compliment each other - I don’t think it’s the best unit. For me, a great midfield needs at least two very good passers, as the notion of having just Pogba to create doesn’t really work. Especially when we don’t even have full backs who are very good on the ball, Pogba can’t just get the ball and ‘create’ - before the killer ball, he needs people to play with, in all areas. Ultimately, I’d like a midfielder better on the ball than Scott, but with a similar energy. I think Sean Longstaff was identified as this player, and he is an example who has the technical ability for him and a good 10 to bring the best out of each other.
Your definitely not alone. He was poor on several occasions against spurs but still much better than anything pereira offers in the same position. I think the forum is more lax on him because he is from the academy and this is his first season at the top which is fair. Lets not also forget that he was our best player earlier in the season which helps his case when judging him on his recent poor performances.

In regards to Fred he was pretty poor at the start of the season but is now comfortably having much better performances than mctominay the last couple of games. I dont think fred is having a better season though because i have much higher expectations in regards to mctominay who is still developing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Your definitely not alone. He was poor on several occasions against spurs but still much better than anything pereira offers in the same position. I think the forum is more lax on him because he is from the academy and this is his first season at the top which is fair. Lets not also forget that he was our best player earlier in the season which helps his case when judging him on his recent poor performances.

In regards to Fred he was pretty poor at the start of the season but is now comfortably having much better performances than mctominay the last couple of games. I dont think fred is having a better season though because i have much higher expectations in regards to mctominay who is still developing.
It is one thing to be ‘lax’ on Scott, and another to proclaim him one of the best midfielders in the league. There’s a massive bias to him over Fred, which I understand a little, although they are both United players and it shouldn’t be a competition. He wasn’t our best player earlier in the season. In fact, he started the season very poorly, which has just been airbrushed out. Again, this is not agenda posting, the threadmarks are there, you can go back to the early games and everyone was (very politely) suggesting he ‘could do better’. He was poor against Chelsea, Wolves and Palace (although I think he had a good spell against Palace in the second half), and this isn’t me making it up - this is what people were writing back then. He consistently gives the ball away, and these days, it’s forgotten within 5 minutes of the end of a match, or even 5 minutes later within a match - whereas early in the season it was at least forgotten by the next game.

I have nothing against Scott. I just see him differently to the rest of the country it seems. He’s a first XI player who should be upgraded with one of more quality to me, although I no longer feel he needs to be let go as I used to. But for me, the praise is extreme. I’ve read he’d get into any team in the league, the new Keane, new Carrick (I mean, has anyone not seen Carrick pass a ball?!), and after Brighton, I read that Pogba has never had a performance like that for us, another game where he gave the ball away repeatedly. It seems like I’m now on some anti-Scott crusade, but I’ve never seen anything like the overhype he gets here. For me, if he were English, he’d get nowhere near the national team.

Fred wasn’t even in the team at the start of the season. He had a couple of poor games with the B team in Cup competitions, but other than that, he’s played at a higher level than McTominay for me, and in the games where both have played well, he’s played better. I do agree that he should be held to a higher standard than Scott, as should Pogba etc, but I think he actually produces a higher standard than Scott, so the comparison should be between him and those in the league who are better. Anyway, ultimately, there is only ‘the’ standard at United. We can’t really have one standard for some players and one for others. You either meet the United standard or not, I don’t think we should be lavishing praise on players for doing well for their level, we’re not a school competition.

Scott doesn’t pass the ball well enough for a Manchester United midfielder, he may we’ll have games where he has passed it well by his own standards, but since when was that the bar? If you play CM for United, the bar is Scholes, Carrick or Keane when it comes to passing a ball, not Andreas Pereira. To be better than him isn’t the job description. We won’t stop looking for a midfielder until we have one as good as Scholes, Carrick etc. That’s how I understand it to work. Below that, you can be a squad player perhaps, but if you find yourself in the XI, just know that you are a player who will be looked to be improved upon at some point. Otherwise all we have done is lowered the bar to be a regular United midfielder, and I’m sure we agree that none of us want that.

Last edited:

cyberman

When was he poor against Chelsea? Our midfield dominated Wolves as well.
Theres a crusade and theres an agenda to follow. We cant just say he is playing really well and move on. No, our DM has to be Busquets and Keane all in one.
His level of improvement over the past 18 months has been fantastic to see but minds are already made up.
Just say you dont like his type of player and move on although theres few ball playing DM that even play at the elite level anymore.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Theres a crusade and theres an agenda to follow. We cant just say he is playing really well and move on. No, our DM has to be Busquets and Keane all in one.
His level of improvement over the past 18 months has been fantastic to see but minds are already made up.
Just say you dont like his type of player and move on although theres few ball playing DM that even play at the elite level anymore.
Agreed, Wolves were shocking that game, they were saved by an absolute worldie from Neves but that was about the only chance they created.

He's got a few areas of weakness but overall I'm incredibly happy with him and his development.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wasn't his best game but he is better than that and I am confident he will be a mainstay here for years.
Not a very good performance today... hes better than that
Not his best, but it is hard to control midfield with a half fit partner, while Jlingz and Pereira were all over the place.
Better in the second half but he didn't look after the ball well enough overall. Both him and Pogba need to improve on that because we were losing the midfield battle because of that.
He was really poor in the first half, better in second once we were few goals up. I can see why there is a place for him as a squad player but he’s miles off the level needed to start regularly in a two man midfield.
One of his poorer games. Big fan of him but today he was too casual at times.
Much better 2nd half after a dodgy first half. Might just have been nerves but his passing was very off early on.
When the ball is passed to him with an above average speed, it bounces off his leg. He needs to work on his control imo.
Sloppy and nervy first half, but good second. I guess it remains to be seen if he and Pogba can work in a MF 2, but unfortunately i think we will miss Herrera as the season goes by
He was decent today but not good or great. Worried about centre mid, pogba was class
Not good enough and never will be.
He wasn’t at his best today - gave the ball away sloppily at times, especially in the first half. Grew in to the game a bit but still below his level. Must be hard in a midfield with Pogba and Pereira because one is so unpredictable and the other is a bit shit.
Mixed on him. His level isn't quite where I see us wanting to be but he's a decent option for now.
Not at his best, him and Pogba being poor on the ball was a big problem in the first half. He will get plenty of chances this season, but he needs to do better.
He's just a taller Cleverly really - tidy enough player and a good squad option to have but not quite good enough to be a real top-drawer CM for any team with big aspirations. However, as long as he's putting in a shift and allowing the more gifted lads to play, good on him.
One of his worst games of the last six months, but he was still decent so that's not a bad thing if that can be his lowest levels.

Did seem a bit strange that he seemed to be playing on the left and Pogba on the right. Didn't notice if that continued in the second half but it definitely seemed that way in the first.
These are all from the first two pages after we played Chelsea. No comment from @Rozay here, and all forgotten immediately and later placed in the file of ‘Scott McTominay great games’.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
With all the things he brings he doesn't need to have Iniesta level passing, the same way Mascherano didn't need to. It's about how you use the qualities you have to properly effect a game of football. McTominay has recently showed the ability to command his area and win the midfield battle. Midfielders that'll dominate like that are rare these days, which makes them more valuable despite inferior passing to someone like Pogba, who with all his skills really struggles to impose himself in games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With all the things he brings he doesn't need to have Iniesta level passing, the same way Mascherano didn't need to. It's about how you use the qualities you have to properly effect a game of football. McTominay has recently showed the ability to command his area and win the midfield battle. Midfielders that'll dominate like that are rare these days, which makes them more valuable despite inferior passing to someone like Pogba, who with all his skills really struggles to impose himself in games.
It is never okay for a central midfielder to regularly give the football away. On Wednesday it led to us conceding a goal. I agree that he doesn’t need to pass like Iniesta. Which is why I didn’t mention Iniesta. I just mentioned the passing of those who have played the role for this same club, before him. That’s the standard. Keane couldn’t pass like Iniesta. The Manchester United midfield standardnof passing is not Iniesta - but it is something. It’s up to others to decide what side of that line Scott falls on, I’ve obviously expressed my own opinion on it best I can.

I don’t understand this word ‘dominate’ either. The Iniesta you speak of, along with Xavi ‘dominated’ their area of the field. Manchester United (and other top clubs tbh) should not keep setting up our midfields to take the ball away from the other team. We need maybe one player to focus on that, and his passing does not need to be of the level of the other two, but it does need to be of the level of Manchester United. How often did Mascherano give the ball away? How often does Kanté?

For what it’s worth, I think Scott certainly has a role. His strengths are more without the ball than with it, which isn’t uncommon in football, even at top clubs. I think you play one ball winner personally, as a top club, who aims to control a game and take it to the opposition. Being realistic, there will be a few games where you feel you can’t do that. In those games, you need two ball winners I think, and I’d start Scott in the Nou Camp away every time. To me, Fred recovers the ball more than him, and passes to his teammate (slightly) more often. I’d have him in DM and someone who is more of an all rounder (but better on the ball than McTominay) alongside Pogba, or variation of, if he were to leave. Then we can actually ‘dominate’ a game. Against average teams as well as just frustrating good teams. Why shouldn’t other teams be setting up their midfields to stop us playing? Are we not Manchester United?

Not sure what you mean by a Scott McTominay being ‘more valuable’ than Pogba either. Again, I think that depends on the team. For a top team who aims to control the ball and the flow of the game, then the better ball user would be of greater value. I think we need to move away from this inferiority complex in midfield where we set up to frustrate. For such a team, perhaps McTominay is indeed more valuable.

Thiagoal

I’m absolutely shocked that some posters here are still criticising elements of his game! The difference between our Brighton / Spurs performances as opposed to the two he was missing is ridiculous!

He provides strength, height, determination and an attitude that our team feeds off and takes us up a notch! His driving runs through the middle are also so dangerous- Keane comparisons are obvious (whose passing range was never Pirlo levels either)

I would make him club captain when Young leaves as he is a player our new look team needs as the backbone behind it! We desperately need a backup as our performance levels drop substantially when he’s absent

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It is never okay for a central midfielder to regularly give the football away. On Wednesday it led to us conceding a goal. I agree that he doesn’t need to pass like Iniesta. Which is why I didn’t mention Iniesta. I just mentioned the passing of those who have played the role for this same club, before him. That’s the standard. Keane couldn’t pass like Iniesta. The Manchester United midfield standardnof passing is not Iniesta - but it is something. It’s up to others to decide what side of that line Scott falls on, I’ve obviously expressed my own opinion on it best I can.

I don’t understand this word ‘dominate’ either. The Iniesta you speak of, along with Xavi ‘dominated’ their area of the field. Manchester United (and other top clubs tbh) should not keep setting up our midfields to take the ball away from the other team. We need maybe one player to focus on that, and his passing does not need to be of the level of the other two, but it does need to be of the level of Manchester United. How often did Mascherano give the ball away? How often does Kanté?

For what it’s worth, I think Scott certainly has a role. His strengths are more without the ball than with it, which isn’t uncommon in football, even at top clubs. I think you play one ball winner personally, as a top club, who aims to control a game and take it to the opposition. Being realistic, there will be a few games where you feel you can’t do that. In those games, you need two ball winners I think, and I’d start Scott in the Nou Camp away every time. To me, Fred recovers the ball more than him, and passes to his teammate (slightly) more often. I’d have him in DM and someone who is more of an all rounder (but better on the ball than McTominay) alongside Pogba, or variation of, if he were to leave. Then we can actually ‘dominate’ a game. Against average teams as well as just frustrating good teams. Why shouldn’t other teams be setting up their midfields to stop us playing? Are we not Manchester United?

Not sure what you mean by a Scott McTominay being ‘more valuable’ than Pogba either. Again, I think that depends on the team. For a top team who aims to control the ball and the flow of the game, then the better ball user would be of greater value. I think we need to move away from this inferiority complex in midfield where we set up to frustrate. For such a team, perhaps McTominay is indeed more valuable.
You're purposefully misunderstanding me mate. Ok. Consider this, McTominay is playing in the same team as Pogba did and if neither managed to keep the ball very well in this setup maybe it has something to do with their role and lack of playing alongside a well balanced partner? Pogba isn't playing right now and McTominay doesn't pretend to do what he does passing wise but he is quite good at driving forward with the ball and knowing when to slow down and when to attack. He is far from the finished product too so I can't understand your hesitation to give it up to him. This whole "expectations at Man Utd" angle is a bit weird, even if you tried to nuance it here. You're sort of saying McTominay is good but he has such bad passing abilities, like it is such a huge weakness for him that he can never be a player at Man Utd IF we want to win the league again. This is ridiculous because it is never about just one specific ability, but the whole package. Using him losing the ball at times as evidence for him not being "United level" reeks of an opinion influenced by the "unfair" criticism Pogba has gotten for the exact same thing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You're purposefully misunderstanding me mate. Ok. Consider this, McTominay is playing in the same team as Pogba did and if neither managed to keep the ball very well in this setup maybe it has something to do with their role and lack of playing alongside a well balanced partner? Pogba isn't playing right now and McTominay doesn't pretend to do what he does passing wise but he is quite good at driving forward with the ball and knowing when to slow down and when to attack. He is far from the finished product too so I can't understand your hesitation to give it up to him. This whole "expectations at Man Utd" angle is a bit weird, even if you tried to nuance it here. You're sort of saying McTominay is good but he has such bad passing abilities, like it is such a huge weakness for him that he can never be a player at Man Utd IF we want to win the league again. This is ridiculous because it is never about just one specific ability, but the whole package. Using him losing the ball at times as evidence for him not being "United level" reeks of an opinion influenced by the "unfair" criticism Pogba has gotten for the exact same thing.
Your the one on some Pogba nonsense here, which was obviously your intention when you opened this thread. You can struggle to understand as much as you like at this point, I’ve articulated my views best I can.

cyberman

Agreed, Wolves were shocking that game, they were saved by an absolute worldie from Neves but that was about the only chance they created.

He's got a few areas of weakness but overall I'm incredibly happy with him and his development.
Fans just need to admit they don't like his type of player and let that be that. Its ridiculous that he helps dominate big midfields from the DM position and posters are quick to run on here with passing stats. He was the best midfielder on the pitch v Barca at OT for example yet hes getting dug out for Chelsea at home and not getting praise for Chelsea away. Its clear agenda posting for me.
Nevwr lost a big 6 game with Scott in the side.. I mean..
All round midfielders are dying a death. We shouldnt suddenly expect Scott to be one

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This for me, is more important than any stat about passing percentage or whether he hits key passes yada yada.

He just has the ability to raise everybodys game. Sure he could be more technical, and I believe he will get that eventually. He has quick feet for a big guy, and obviously very confident and hard working.

We've lacked leadership, but with him and Maguire we're making good progress on that front. Scott is our future captain.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Your the one on some Pogba nonsense here, which was obviously your intention when you opened this thread. You can struggle to understand as much as you like at this point, I’ve articulated my views best I can.
Well I wasn't even satisfied with my reply! So take that!

Pughnichi

It is one thing to be ‘lax’ on Scott, and another to proclaim him one of the best midfielders in the league. There’s a massive bias to him over Fred, which I understand a little, although they are both United players and it shouldn’t be a competition. He wasn’t our best player earlier in the season. In fact, he started the season very poorly, which has just been airbrushed out. Again, this is not agenda posting, the threadmarks are there, you can go back to the early games and everyone was (very politely) suggesting he ‘could do better’. He was poor against Chelsea, Wolves and Palace (although I think he had a good spell against Palace in the second half), and this isn’t me making it up - this is what people were writing back then. He consistently gives the ball away, and these days, it’s forgotten within 5 minutes of the end of a match, or even 5 minutes later within a match - whereas early in the season it was at least forgotten by the next game.

I have nothing against Scott. I just see him differently to the rest of the country it seems. He’s a first XI player who should be upgraded with one of more quality to me, although I no longer feel he needs to be let go as I used to. But for me, the praise is extreme. I’ve read he’d get into any team in the league, the new Keane, new Carrick (I mean, has anyone not seen Carrick pass a ball?!), and after Brighton, I read that Pogba has never had a performance like that for us, another game where he gave the ball away repeatedly. It seems like I’m now on some anti-Scott crusade, but I’ve never seen anything like the overhype he gets here. For me, if he were English, he’d get nowhere near the national team.

Fred wasn’t even in the team at the start of the season. He had a couple of poor games with the B team in Cup competitions, but other than that, he’s played at a higher level than McTominay for me, and in the games where both have played well, he’s played better. I do agree that he should be held to a higher standard than Scott, as should Pogba etc, but I think he actually produces a higher standard than Scott, so the comparison should be between him and those in the league who are better. Anyway, ultimately, there is only ‘the’ standard at United. We can’t really have one standard for some players and one for others. You either meet the United standard or not, I don’t think we should be lavishing praise on players for doing well for their level, we’re not a school competition.

Scott doesn’t pass the ball well enough for a Manchester United midfielder, he may we’ll have games where he has passed it well by his own standards, but since when was that the bar? If you play CM for United, the bar is Scholes, Carrick or Keane when it comes to passing a ball, not Andreas Pereira. To be better than him isn’t the job description. We won’t stop looking for a midfielder until we have one as good as Scholes, Carrick etc. That’s how I understand it to work. Below that, you can be a squad player perhaps, but if you find yourself in the XI, just know that you are a player who will be looked to be improved upon at some point. Otherwise all we have done is lowered the bar to be a regular United midfielder, and I’m sure we agree that none of us want that.
nailed it. Spot on matey

DoomSlayer

I see, some fans are now jealous that McTominay is getting more praise than Pogba. If you don't laugh, you'd cry.

Thiagoal

I see, some fans are now jealous that McTominay is getting more praise than Pogba. If you don't laugh, you'd cry.
Hopefully they’ll support his next club when the inevitable happens and we can be left to appreciate the players that want to play for United!

He'sRaldo

And thus, out of absolutely nothing, Pogba vs Scott was formed.

The same way Martial vs Rashford was formed out of thin air as well.

Thiagoal

nailed it. Spot on matey
i was at the Brighton game and categorically tell you he did not give the ball away repeatedly and was the reason we totally dominated them! Some of our ‘fans’ are laughable

Alabaster Codify7

These are all from the first two pages after we played Chelsea. No comment from @Rozay here, and all forgotten immediately and later placed in the file of ‘Scott McTominay great games’.
I 100% standby the same comments. You reckon he's the main man? Good for you, accept 4-6th at best.

He's doing very well and I admit better than I originally assumed. But he is the Spoiler. He allows the better players to play and that will always be his role. And that isn't a bad thing in my eyes. If he keeps this up for me,he has a place as either a great rotation option or the unsung hero in a three. Combined with a silky passer or destroyer and an absolutely brilliant 10. If you think he's gonna be the former, that's your preorgative. I notice you didn't quote all these during his spell of being 'alright' and only after one top showing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I 100% standby the same comments. You reckon he's the main man? Good for you, accept 4-6th at best.

He's doing very well and I admit better than I originally assumed. But he is the Spoiler. He allows the better players to play and that will always be his role. And that isn't a bad thing in my eyes. If he keeps this up for me,he has a place as either a great rotation option or the unsung hero in a three. Combined with a silky passer or destroyer and an absolutely brilliant 10. If you think he's gonna be the former, that's your preorgative. I notice you didn't quote all these during his spell of being 'alright' and only after one top showing.
Not sure I, or you, know what you’re talking about with this bit mate.

I referenced your quote (amongst many others) in response to someone saying he was our ‘best player at the beginning of the season’ and asking challenging my assertion that he was not good against Chelsea. I’m in agreement with you. The threadmarks are easy enough to use, just reading the first page or two of his games towards the beginning of the season will show that people have now rewritten the consensus of the time. I can do the same for the game after Chelsea, and the game after that etc. Then everyone will just say he’s had a great start to the season and make passive aggressive remarks to anyone who suggests otherwise.

I like McTominay, for all his likeable traits which have been mentioned time and again. I’m just not ‘most in the McSauce’. He has strengths and limitations. For me, his strengths are what will make him a useful player for Manchester United, his limitations are what will, or at least, should, prevent him from being a fixture in the side. Unless of course he massively improves on the ball - in which case, why not be a United regular. But the hurry to sweep his passing and on ball ability under the carpet is odd, as other players are treated very differently here. The favouritism will wear off when they have a new academy midfielder coming through, at which point, everyone will just be left with the player they have in front of them, strengths and weaknesses. I reckon it’s at that point we can have a proper conversation about the matter, as there’s no point at this stage, he’s infallible right now.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some are yet to see it hey? This 22 year old is going to become another generational captain and legend of Manchester United like the ones we’ve had in the past 5 decades.

He embodies everything that is intangible about ‘Manchester United’. It’s just a bonus he is growing as a footballer at an exponential rate. It’s also of no coincidence we’ve yet to lose a top 6 game with him in the side.

Once again - he’s 22.

Thiagoal

Some are yet to see it hey? This 22 year old is going to become another generational captain and legend of Manchester United like the ones we’ve had in the past 5 decades.

He embodies everything that is intangible about ‘Manchester United’. It’s just a bonus he is growing as a footballer at an exponential rate. It’s also of no coincidence we’ve yet to lose a top 6 game with him in the side.

Once again - he’s 22.
Some people are in denial about his potential It seems! Truth is in one of our worst teams we’ve had for years he’s a bright beacon! Imagine what he’d do in a functional team with quality players around him

Shimo

Once again - he’s 22.
Don't think he'll ever convince some. He's come on leaps and bounds in terms of his passing IMO, takes more risks but, he might never have that really top level passing/vision that others think is more of a requirement.

For me in his role, if he can develop that, it's a bonus but, what we are getting now from him and Fred, it's just the perfect balance of what is needed in this setup. Both have incredible work rate to help cover defensively but, also that ability to also get forward as well. He has also learned how to control the tempo of the game a little better and his passing is far better than when he came on and just layed off the simple pass. He needs some work on awareness but, that will also come with time.

I have to say, when he first came on to the scene, didn't see much but, am convinced he is going to be a mainstay for a very long time in that midfield.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Don't think he'll ever convince some. He's come on leaps and bounds in terms of his passing IMO, takes more risks but, he might never have that really top level passing/vision that others think is more of a requirement.

For me in his role, if he can develop that, it's a bonus but, what we are getting now from him and Fred, it's just the perfect balance of what is needed in this setup. Both have incredible work rate to help cover defensively but, also that ability to also get forward as well. He has also learned how to control the tempo of the game a little better and his passing is far better than when he came on and just layed off the simple pass. He needs some work on awareness but, that will also come with time.

I have to say, when he first came on to the scene, didn't see much but, am convinced he is going to be a mainstay for a very long time in that midfield.
It's okay, I can understand why some are still in denial. I was one of those calling him Cleverly in his first few games but his meteoric rise since then has been undeniable and I am ok to swallow some pride to admit I was wrong. Some are still holding on for dear life. I get it.

Your bolded part is crucial. For someone that is 22, having that in your locker elevates you to a whole new league of midfielders. It is the key reason we haven't lost a single top 6 game with him in the side. If anyone needed a different perspective of what that just means - just rewatch the disastrous games with Perreira in midfield and then watch Scott's 'globality' of dominating a midfield.

Irwin99

The comments range from one extreme to the other but I really like him as a player and genuinely think he could be a first team player for a decade here in the right set up.

The one area that has to get a bit better is his passing consistency but he's got a lot of great attributes . His physical strength is excellent, he's got a great engine, can score a goal, good tackler. Put him with a deep playmaker and a good number 10 and I think he'd look even better.

Man City 1:2 Man Utd

Yagami

Good post resistant
HUGE credit to him. I saw him a lot in the academy and never thought he'd make it here. He's shut me right up!

Based Adnan

He can play so many different roles in that midfield. Provide a shield, box to box, further forward, pure DM. Whatever you need he can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.