Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because it exposes his weaknesses. He's neither creative nor a good passer of the ball. These games aren't made for gim
And these kind of games are most of our games in season.
He is not good enough to play in first 11. Just he is not. I respect his energy, character and passion but he is too much limited on the ball to be first choice United midfielder.

cyberman

Holy crap fans are quick enough to jump on him.
Cant beat that little bit of confirmation bias. At one stage we had 28 efforts on goal, our DM wasnt the problem.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He'll be perfectly fine if the team has a creative fulcrum to play around, either its Pogba or a better #10.
I don’t think a good number 10 is enough for this team. I mean, it will help play creative passes, but as a team, we wouldn’t be much better in possession if we drop a class 10 into a team that can’t pass or isn’t comfortable on the ball.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don’t think a good number 10 is enough for this team. I mean, it will help play creative passes, but as a team, we wouldn’t be much better in possession if we drop a class 10 into a team that can’t pass or isn’t comfortable on the ball.
I don't think this team even has to be dominant in possession if all they are trying to do is get the ball from defence to attack quickly and letting the wide players get in 1 on 1 situations.

When teams do sit deep, it makes it far easier to keep possession in midfield but they still need a good #10 to thread those passes through and some of the wide players also need to make runs beyond the line of defence, which they seldom do now.

Devil may care

Worked hard, made some decent passes through the lines, lost some runs and had a couple of sloppy passes, so a mixed bag from McTominay today.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think this team even has to be dominant in possession if all they are trying to do is get the ball from defence to attack quickly and letting the wide players get in 1 on 1 situations.

When teams do sit deep, it makes it far easier to keep possession in midfield but they still need a good #10 to thread those passes through and some of the wide players also need to make runs beyond the line of defence, which they seldom do now.
We need to have more strings to our bow. We can’t score 100 goals a season on the counter. And a number 10 in a team with players who can’t pass and move is half as effective I think.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
His worst game for some time. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to learn that the heavy challenge early on knocked him a bit silly. He’s decision making was frequently questionable today.

Josep Dowling

He seems to be a Park Ji Sung style of player. Great against the better sides but when you are playing teams with a deep defence he hasn’t got the creativity required.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He seems to be a Park Ji Sung style of player. Great against the better sides but when you are playing teams with a deep defence he hasn’t got the creativity required.
For a top team, our whole side generally sets up with this inferiority complex. In front of the back 4, of our current XI, I’d say everyone except Martial and Rashford’s main attribute is ‘running’.

We have defensive full-backs, a double pivot of workhorses in midfield, a 10 in the team to press and tackle and a set up to counter attack.

The next phase of development of this team needs to tweak the ethos to being front runners and setting the pace of the game rather than plucky underdogs. It’s the transition that has happened with Leicester this season and they have handled it well so far. The key has been putting more footballers in their midfield, which transforms the whole ideology of the team.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought he did well. Some great through ball from him and a few good defending as well. Could got an assist from his pass to Bissaka.

croadyman

Yeah I am starting to get the impression that you only see the best of him in the games against the better sides where we have to press them, however in games where the defence and midfield just sit deep like we saw today unfortunately he just isn't as effective. I fear it will be a very similar scenario in our next three league games before the new year trip to Arsenal who like to play which will give Utd the space they crave so much.

Sylar

Think he (and Fred) could do with an experienced midfielder with them to help them in game (so they arent forcing things or keeping calm in situations).

The problem also is he pretty much has to start every game due to our options and has no chance of resting (coming on as sub or even just resting a game).

OldTrevil

I like his energy, and if he focuses mainly on being a midfield workhorse, and at the same time improving his ball control, passing and positioning in transition, then he would be invaluable to the team long term. From what I have seen of him, he is a CM/number 8 and not a DM, especially in a team that wants to play from the back and efficiently deliver the ball to our nimble and technical players further ahead. As someone said earlier, he can be like a Ji Sung Park type CM. Peak Darren Fletcher also comes to mind as a player Scott should be looking to model his game around. He's certainly not in the line of a Makelele, Kante or Busquets type of DMs.

Bojan11

Can’t believe people think he should be a regular starter. He can’t pass forward and is only good when we playing as underdogs. That’s when he doesn’t have the ball much.

Kag

There’s more to being a Manchester United midfielder than being a bulldog against a better City team. That was a regression back to how he looked when he first came into the team.

We need better in the long-term. A lot better, in all honesty.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Very poor today. Did not look motivated at all. Probably thinking about what santa will bring him Chrismtas night.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sums up how our standards gone to shit. He is labelled as future captain, already fans hero etc... but why? Because lad has passion and plays with his heart? It should be normal thing for every player.
I am sorry but it is not enough for me. Quality is something what Man Utd player needs to have. And he doesn't have it. Weak on the ball, average ball control, average technique, zero creativity and average passing ability. Plus under pressure he is fecked.
I get that he is local lad, United through and through but he should be squad rotation at best

Red_toad

Very poor performance, Ole needs to get a player in who he can rotate McTom and Fred with. We can't just start both of the week in week out for 90 minutes.

King Eric 7

Ole had a better player than him but chose to let him go. McT is too inconsistent to be a mainstay in the team right now, but our midfield has been gutted to the bare bones so he has to start all the time. It's a shame to see him playing this badly as I think he's a much better player than this.

El Zoido

Still a young lad. Problem is that you need absolute consistency in centre midfield, Roy Keane barely had a bad game in his career. When Scholes had a “bad” game he was still often the best player on the pitch. In modern days, you have Kante, who is a picture of consistency.

Unfortunately with McT, when he plays badly, he gives the ball away constantly and opposition players waltz through him. You just can’t get away with it.

predator

Youth NITK
Technically he is an average premier league midfielder. He runs his cock off though as is passionate which is great at times.

I do like Scott alot but I'm just being honest.

RedIan

He was poor today and poor last game too.. not quite looking the saviour of midfield atm. He is a decent player but at a huge club like united is he good enough? Not sure, should be a back up player imo Same as Fred imo. We need better quality I’m afraid to challenge for titles.

Roboc7

He’s a very limited player and it means there are a lot of games where you don’t need him. In other games he’d be one of first names on team sheet. He just doesn’t have skill set a lot of the time, he’s clearly a good player to have in the squad but we have too many like that.

BigBebe

I think he is far better than he showed today. He is still relatively inexperienced and I think that we have put too much pressure on him.

Boneli

It was probably his worst performance for us today. I’m sceptical that he’s fully fit since his injury, because the work rate is there, but his passing has been woeful since he’s been back. Maybe he needs easing back in.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Had a really poor game. Nothing he tried worked out for him. Had a couple of world class involvements on the ball but far few between and it is not enough. Especially since he didn't manage to put his body to use, and couldn't have won many balls today. Worst thing was that his spirit seemed muted, somehow. Very disappointing and weird, what changed?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Ole had a better player than him but chose to let him go. McT is too inconsistent to be a mainstay in the team right now, but our midfield has been gutted to the bare bones so he has to start all the time. It's a shame to see him playing this badly as I think he's a much better player than this.
Fellaini?! No chance, I’d have McT over him any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.