Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Huh? Because Pogba was diabolical and Matić was dead on his feet. Scott should have been on for one of them on 60 minutes, hes not as lackadaisical as either of them and wins most of his duels. Plus he’s a goal threat -why are you even questioning his introduction?
He is also not as good as them as we have seen since the break when hes played hes been poor

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's going under the radar for criticism but he's made no impact whatsoever since the restart.
Maybe his ok-ish form prior is as good as it gets for McTom ?

bondsname

I want this lad to succeed so bad I start making excuses for him. Maybe he needs a crowd to thrive? He has don't nothing since the restart it's a bit worrying.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The issue with Mctom ,and to some extent Fred, is the fact we now have two exceptional,and some could argue, world class midfielders in Bruno and Pogba and McTom is just nowhere near that bracket of class and its becoming painfully obvious when he has featured and deputised for either one of them.

United have,finally, got a standard of midfielder back at the club where the barrier in ability is being set and when McTom or Fred come on the gap in talent is apparent which coincides with their shortcomings.

If we bring in another talented midfielder then McTom and Fred have a real challenge on their hands which is exactly what we want and need.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The issue with Mctominay is that we want to be an attacking team now and asides from his outside shots he offers nothing useful in attack

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
But does he offer much defensively for us now ?

Unless he develops into a more cultured balanced midfield player, I cant see a great future or a particular long one for McTom at the club.
Much like Nicky Butt,eventually McTom will be surplus to requirements if we continue with this upward trajectory in finally bringing in top quality players back into the club.

Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You'll be here in a minute to slag him off. But he's a great squad player, still improving, very good in our counter attacking setup and probably lacking confidence with this new style we're adopting. He'll come good. If we had 5-6 of his level on the bench I'd be happy.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Felt we got better when Matic came on. Matic has the ability to see a pass forward.

Zoo

He did okay I suppose but he needs to be making of an impact. The switch of play was consistently on in the first half but he never went for it.

el3mel

He hasn't been as good as previously ever since the restart and I'm not sure why.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like McTominay, but I think his strengths are particularly suited for a style of football we are trying to move away from.

Bojan11

You'll be here in a minute to slag him off. But he's a great squad player, still improving, very good in our counter attacking setup and probably lacking confidence with this new style we're adopting. He'll come good. If we had 5-6 of his level on the bench I'd be happy.
5-6 of him on the bench? Really? We need more players who just pass side wards and backwards.

He’s too much of a safe passer. Never looks forward and that’s why he’d never make it here. As a CDM he doesn’t know where to position himself. Just look at him before the Zaha penalty incident.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
5-6 of him on the bench? Really? We need more players who just pass side wards and backwards.

He’s too much of a safe passer. Never looks forward and that’s why he’d never make it here. As a CDM he doesn’t know where to position himself. Just look at him before the Zaha penalty incident.
I don't mean clones, I mean of the same level. Someone who is useful to the team in a variety of situations.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like McTominay, but I think his strengths are particularly suited for a style of football we are trying to move away from.
He is young. He's played in a team that has setup like losers for months. He probably needs to learn to play in a good team. It's the first time he's doing so.

edgecutter

Been poor since the restart and it showed when he was replaced with matic the difference between the two players. He's still young and can improve so I won't be too harsh on him.

RedIan

Poor tonight for me. Maybe lost confidence or lack of match practice. Just didnt offer much matic makes him look ordinary imo.

peridigm

Been poor since the restart and it showed when he was replaced with matic the difference between the two players. He's still young and can improve so I won't be too harsh on him.
He only came back shortly before the lockdown didn’t he? Agree, he should be doing better as we’ve seen much better from him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is young. He's played in a team that has setup like losers for months. He probably needs to learn to play in a good team. It's the first time he's doing so.
He is just inherently a player whose strengths are at their strongest when he is in a side who don't have the dominant share of the ball, and his main role is to pass laterally. He'd be perfect for certain other systems.

Will he improve with time? Of course. Will he improve to the extent where he is a serious option for Manchester United? I don't believe so.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As i am saying since his first game; he is not a midfielder and from what i saw now he is especially not no6.
When he plays in midfield we lose possession. And it is not just because he lacks technique. He lacks vision and he is not confident with the ball.
G.Neville was right about him. He sees defender in him, not a midfielder.

Paul_Scholes18

His passing is very simple and not very creative. It effects us when we dominate the ball.
Hope he can find top form back again because he was making more forward runs before he got injured.

Mainoldo

As i am saying since his first game; he is not a midfielder and from what i saw now he is especially not no6.
When he plays in midfield we lose possession. And it is not just because he lacks technique. He lacks vision and he is not confident with the ball.
G.Neville was right about him. He sees defender in him, not a midfielder.
Declan Rice I’m telling you. Everything we are looking for in McSauce this guy has it.

Kag

He isn’t remotely good enough at the football playing side of things; this is an issue. He huffs and puffs and has a nifty burst of pace through the middle but it isn’t enough.

Matic made him look like a toddler in comparison.

KennyBurner

Not going to bash him. However he needs to reinvent his game on the ball. he doesnt know how to position himself for a pass. Look how matic drops deep to always provide a passing lane for De gea or our defenders. This guy would rather hide and leave pogba surrounded when we are looking for a pass.

This is also a coaching thing. We shouldn't have to look to the market after we have just signed him to a new contract.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Lost his mojo since he got dropped but I'm sure he'll come back into form
My feelings too. Hasn't hit the level he was playing at earlier in the season - same with Fred - but neither have been given a run in the team since the restart. Can't help but feel that they're suited to playing together, with both acting as box-to-box. Neither seems perfectly suited to the current preferred system. Still happy to have them in the squad. Nothing wrong with options.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Are you happy with our style after lockdown? We are waiting for that style since Fergie left. But that style comes with midfield where ALL midfielders are technically skilled. Put McT in it and you get first half of Palace game.

izec

Some want him to be a DM. I hope today showed that we need to buy one. Fred and McTom are not DMs. Period

Drainy

Its his footwork in midfield that doesn't impress me at the moment, he's not shifting the ball well out of his feet to set up the progressive pass so he needs to dribble or keep it simple.

One of his worst games for us. He needs to do a lot more to get that last midfield spot. He was always in the wrong position and too timid on the ball.

kiristao

He is a box to box type player who will be very useful in big games when we want that energy and extra protection. He isn't good enough as a DM as he doesn't read the game as well not is his positioning very good and isn't creative enough to play the more advanced role. Great squad player though.

Mainoldo

Really. He looked raw for me. But i watched him only few times tbh. I didn't felt that he has technique for being dmc
I was the same as you. But honestly after paying attention to him especially after quarantine.. he just needs better players around him. He can hold a defensive line in midfield by himself. Technique wise Carrick esq (comfortable on both feet and calm).

spiriticon

I think he is a great passer of the ball. He was spraying them about pre-lockdown. He's lost his confidence a bit but there's a passer in there I've seen it.

KjaAnd

He looked like he didn't have a clue what his job was tonight. Kept hiding behind opposition players in the buil-up and spent ages on the ball every time he received it. Never a DM but useful as an 8 in big games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He is a box to box type player who will be very useful in big games when we want that energy and extra protection. He isn't good enough as a DM as he doesn't read the game as well not is his positioning very good and isn't creative enough to play the more advanced role. Great squad player though.
All of this

CM

The deeper role really doesn't suit him. Dropping between the centre backs and playing out just isn't his game at all, and we unsurprisingly looked more assured once Matic took his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.