6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

For me he's wooden and one dimensional. Not saying he's a bad player but don't get the fact the a DM needs to not have the ability to do more. For me he's just a young Matic.....
You haven't answered my question. What traits make a good midfielder?

As far I can see, McTominay possesses a number of them, but maybe you have a different definition to me.

Based Adnan

For me he's wooden and one dimensional. Not saying he's a bad player but don't get the fact the a DM needs to not have the ability to do more. For me he's just a young Matic.....
As if that's such a bad thing :lol:

SteveW

Has to be first choice this season. Easily better than all others we have barring Pogba (which is kind of shocking tbh)

Litch

You haven't answered my question. What traits make a good midfielder?

As far I can see, McTominay possesses a number of them, but maybe you have a different definition to me.
Midfielders come in many guises and with many different traits so 'good' is too subjective. For example, Pogs divides opinions about whether he's show pony to world class and everything else in between. Maybe it's just me but it feels we now have an exceptence of mediocrity where players that shouldn't be near the first team are described in ways like we are talking about Roy Keane. I'm old enough to remember the negativity associated with Carrick because of who played before him and the quality that was around him then. Carrick is everything the Scott does and more, and when we were good that wasn't even enough.....nice lad, honest and trustworthy to give 100% but that's how far we have fallen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm warming to him, he isn't great but he could be solid which in itself is great for us.

Based Adnan

Only if you rate Matic....
Only on here would you find fans moaning that an academy product looks like the younger version of a player who has won the league twice as an uncontested starter and was among the best DMs in the league

AshRK

He is really starting to impress me. Good lad and more than decent footballer.

Litch

Two-time Premier League winner Nemanja Matic wouldn't be the worst player to emulate.
Young version of the current Matic as a young Matic was better than Scott will ever be....

Based Adnan

Young version of the current Matic as a young Matic was better than Scott will ever be....
22 year old Matic went on loan for a season to Vitesse. Previous to that he had played only 3 games for Chelsea and the rest of his games in the Slovakian league.

Stop talking shite when you haven't got a clue.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McSauce was very McSaucey today. ;)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is a big guy but not immobile, good defensively and keeps things ticking in the middle. Can press high and win the ball as well as take up positions to cover for other players. I'd say in style he is the perfect player to play alongside Pogba. He could have a bit more flair offensively and raw talent to his game yes, but his style, consistency and personality will make sure he plays a lot of games for this club and I for one look forward to it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love him I do. Not only was he solid in the tackle, but played some nice passes in between the lines of a narrow Perth side. Good game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm warming to him, he isn't great but he could be solid which in itself is great for us.
More than anything I think he's consistent, and we could do with a bit of consistency.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
More than anything I think he's consistent, and we could do with a bit of consistency.
That's the key for me. I think he could develop into a midfield version of Irwin. Never going to be amazing, but will give you constant 7/10 performances and that's what we need right now to get back on track.

Raven

Midfielders come in many guises and with many different traits so 'good' is too subjective. For example, Pogs divides opinions about whether he's show pony to world class and everything else in between. Maybe it's just me but it feels we now have an exceptence of mediocrity where players that shouldn't be near the first team are described in ways like we are talking about Roy Keane. I'm old enough to remember the negativity associated with Carrick because of who played before him and the quality that was around him then. Carrick is everything the Scott does and more, and when we were good that wasn't even enough.....nice lad, honest and trustworthy to give 100% but that's how far we have fallen.
You've avoided answering my question again. You clearly haven't a clue. Just to reiterate what he's good at when it comes to being a midfielder.

1. Solid touch
2. Ability to shield and hang onto the ball.
3. Moves the ball quickly.
4. Positionally very good and people find it hard to get past him.
5. Passes between the lines well.
6. Joins in well when attacking.
7. Calm and collected on the ball, usually makes the right decision.

He is a 22 year old lad playing as a major part of the first team squad for Manchester United. Most midfielders, even the big ones, are not as accomplished as Scott at this age. Your lack of faith in Scott really says a lot about your understanding of the game.

The way I see it, at worst Scott becomes a John O'Shea type squad player, at best he becomes an important member of the first XI.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

You be avoided answering my question again. You clearly haven't a clue. Just to reiterate what he's good at when it comes to being a midfielder.

1. Solid touch

He is a 22 year old lad playing as a major part of the first team squad for Manchester United. Most midfielders, even the big ones, are not as accomplished as Scott at this age. Your lack of faith in Scott really says a lot about your understanding of the game.

The way I see it, at worst Scott becomes a John O'Shea type squad player, at best he becomes an important member of the first XI.
Scott is also very tenacious and brave when going for the ball, the opposition do no want to go into a 50-50 challenge with him, he's becoming an absolute unit.

Raven

Scott is also very tenacious and brave when going for the ball, the opposition do no want to go into a 50-50 challenge with him, he's becoming an absolute unit.
Yeah, absolutely right. I see him being an important player for us this season in the starting XI.

dev1l

Does simple things well. Nothing out of this world but you need someone like him in the team

haram

If you dont rate McTominay you should probably go watch another sport. Or stop watching sports entirely.

Prongsy

McDominate will win manutd trophies as a captain. I just know it.

NO WHITE TEXT!

FujiVice

If you dont rate McTominay you should probably go watch another sport. Or stop watching sports entirely.
May have been the only player who stepped up in those last 10 games. His stock was raised during that period. Same cant be said about many others.

KennyBurner

Made a carrickesque pass today right between the lines. The only other player I see doing that is Fred. If this kid is going to be a star from the future we need him to start now rather than later. He needs to emulate rashford and work his socks off this season. Good thing he is still on a low contract. Has something to strive towards.

R'hllor

Regardless of people opinions about the guy, he has something that many in our squad of pricks lacks.

Prongsy

You've avoided answering my question again. You clearly haven't a clue. Just to reiterate what he's good at when it comes to being a midfielder.

1. Solid touch

He's really remarkably good at number 2. and in many ways than one. He is unfazed by any situation he is under, when it comes to receiving the ball, and not just now or last year. Right from his first games one and a half years ago, he's had this consistency. He is often the guy who concedes possession the least number of times. and even in spaces that are almost insane, he somehow comes out composed. sure, even if he uses his physicality here and there to do it, but hey, you got a body. use it. nothing wrong if you do. actually more footballers don't do this any more. Its never unfashionable for a footballer to be able to do that. I frankly wouldn't mind signing SMS for whatever obscene money he would warrant, just because he has this incredible beast of a body that he can use and combine it with skills akin to pogba, and you have a terrific footballer. Now Mcsauce is not that level yet. but I do remember Jose actually commending him at end of his first year, or rather before the end of the season, before he scored eventually, that "McTominay does everything I ask of him, except score. and that is because I dont ask him to. I wonder if he might be fantastic in that also". but he wasn't going to try him as a number 10 any time soon. and whatever. but ultimately that was the point. he still has a very understated appeal as a player who can do things in final third, but, even other wise, he is very composed, calm, and really is one of the best players with whom you can play any kind of football. He wont be your creative player, but he can do all sorts of things, and he can do them all with least number of touches. hey, Darren Fletcher was able to too, remember a hattrick of rooney vs bolton game where one of the goals was first time amazing chipped through ball of Fletch. I sincerely believe McTominay can do that. But he wont go around playing he has to be a playmaker, or have this tendency to dictate tempo or dwell on the ball. and people may forever not get him because of that. silly f*ckers. He has pretty much been my proper Fletcher replacement in truest sense who gets this economy of touches nailed, and he is actually built bigger than Fletch and can also use his body and presence. if he was German, or if Schweinsteiger played half as good as this kid in his time here, people would miss that fecker for another 5 years like we still reminisce about Henrik larson at times.

Coops73

I’m liking him more and more. Didn’t seem to put a foot wrong.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
May have been the only player who stepped up in those last 10 games. His stock was raised during that period. Same cant be said about many others.
He's been steadily improving since he debut, he very rarely has a bad game. I was quick to judge him initially but he's proven me and so many others wrong so far. I think he'll be quietly underappreciated for a while but will keep doing his job effectively and consistently, he's a very good professional on and off the pitch. He's a big reason why I don't think losing Herrera is the end of the world.

Also, McSauce might be the worst nickname I've ever heard.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He and pogba played really well together deep.

They seem to be on the same wave length and he helps do the dirty work but also keeps the ball movement at a high speed.

I think he should be first choice right now alongside pogba, especially if we’re going to play 4231 regularly

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The current Matic is slow to react & ball watching only instead of work his shocks off. Mctominay is the opposite of that, very poor comparison.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Made a carrickesque pass today right between the lines. The only other player I see doing that is Fred. If this kid is going to be a star from the future we need him to start now rather than later. He needs to emulate rashford and work his socks off this season. Good thing he is still on a low contract. Has something to strive towards.
Well, doesn’t really matter imo. To me, he doesn’t look like a type of player who will ask big wages.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Think he is suited to the bigger games, simple instructions and make use of his physical attributes, doesn’t read the game that well but is disciplined and hard working.

That will buy him some time but he’ll have to kick on at some point and I’m 50/50 whether he can that or not if he wants to play regularly. Other than Pogba (when he’s in mood) all our midfielders are basically do a job and make do players and he’s firmly in that bracket at the moment.
I would have agreed with you, but I think that in the latter part of last season he really did start showing signs that he was in the process of 'kicking on'. His ability on the ball and his use of the ball seemed to improve dramatically, and for the first time I started seeing him as possibly reaching the level required to be a starter for us. Of course he has to maintain that and hopefully improve on it further, but he really did impress me in the last month or two of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.