6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBurner

Well, doesn’t really matter imo. To me, he doesn’t look like a type of player who will ask big wages.
Then he lacks ambition which is worrisome. Which human being doesn't want an improved contract/life? If he is good enough then you best believe he will demand a better contract when that times comes.

Not sure whether you are joking or being serious. Ambition to play football to win things or ambition to earn money? two different things. Giggs, Neville & Scholes wouldn’t ask high wages, in your definition they lack ambition.

If you like what you do then you enjoy what you do.

@UNITED ACADEMY my 10 comments have been used so I'll reply here. Football has changed significantly since the days of giggs and scholes. Comparing them now to players of today doesn't make much sense giving there is now more player power and marketability. Players have better agents and counselling with jorge mendes and that fat pizza guy lurking everywhere. If they both were playing today they will also demand vast amount of money especially when the likes of rashford/martial are reportedly on 250k.

You also forget that football is a Job so if the player is good enough, when contract negotiations begin they will demand what they feel they deserve in regards to other players. All that talk about playing for trophies goes hand in hand with money. Only time players choose trophies over money is when they already have the money.

In that case you don't have to worry much because there are other factors to ambition rather than higher wages. But yes, if he is good enough it is only fair that he is rewarded with a better contract. The Rashford type packet doesn't necessarily have to be the norm when it comes to young players.
Its the biggest factor so its very important.

Last edited:

Steven7290

Then he lacks ambition which is worrisome. Which human being doesn't want an improved contract/life? If he is good enough then you best believe he will demand a better contract when that times comes.
In that case you don't have to worry much because there are other factors to ambition rather than higher wages. But yes, if he is good enough it is only fair that he is rewarded with a better contract. The Rashford type packet doesn't necessarily have to be the norm when it comes to young players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not sure whether you are joking or being serious. Ambition to play football to win things or ambition to earn money? two different things. Giggs, Neville & Scholes wouldn’t ask high wages, in your definition they lack ambition.

If you like what you do then you enjoy what you do.

IrishRedDevil

A consistent, solid, hard working player. He will regularly give 6-7/10 performances. The team needs a player like him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

@UNITED ACADEMY my 10 comments have been used so I'll reply here. Football has changed significantly since the days of giggs and scholes. Comparing them now to players of today doesn't make much sense giving there is now more player power and marketability. Players have better agents and counselling with jorge mendes and that fat pizza guy lurking everywhere. If they both were playing today they will also demand vast amount of money especially when the likes of rashford/martial are reportedly on 250k.

You also forget that football is a Job so if the player is good enough, when contract negotiations begin they will demand what they feel they deserve in regards to other players. All that talk about playing for trophies goes hand in hand with money. Only time players choose trophies over money is when they already have the money.

Its the biggest factor so its very important.
Just because players like Giggs, Scholes & Neville are considered old school days attitude doesn’t mean it will never happen to a few player nowadays ever again.

Mctominay is sort of that type of player. I’m in shocked you don’t even think that way. The way how he plays on the field of working his shocks off. The interview after the Barcelona 1st leg game & also the interview during the pre season. Sounds to me a future captain attitude like the old days when we had Keane, Neville & Vidic.

On top of that he’s more focussed on football than social media & clothing. His last post on Twitter was last year.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Scotts coming along nicely. It's hard to know how much he can improve or become but I hope he keeps it up. He's played 31 games for us now, has played some big games and makes me feel good about the youth system. Hopefully he keeps working hard because no matter your talent, that's the foundation and maybe there is more to come. He's 22/23 and no one panics when he's in the team and so he passes the character test. He's played 31 games, at times we've been a shambles but he's not let that drag him down and that's credit to him.

KennyBurner

Just because players like Giggs, Scholes & Neville are considered old school days attitude doesn’t mean it will never happen to a few player nowadays ever again.

Mctominay is sort of that type of player. I’m in shocked you don’t even think that way. The way how he plays on the field of working his shocks off. The interview after the Barcelona 1st leg game & also the interview during the pre season. Sounds to me a future captain attitude like the old days when we had Keane, Neville & Vidic.

On top of that he’s more focussed on football than social media & clothing. His last post on Twitter was last year.
This is hilarious. You have come to the conclusion that because a player doesn't like posting on social media means he is old school and wont demand a better contract when the time comes? Him working his socks off is also a terrible take because the social media gurus Lingard and rashford work even harder? Should Lingard also be captain material?
My point remains that if he becomes a key player for us in the future he will demand a better contract and that's just natural for people in a work environment. Him being Old school/ Top Red doesn't change anything. This attempt at making him seem different is pretty poor to be honest. Lets also stop clinging to the old days as football has long since progressed and we're not Liverpool.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is hilarious. You have come to the conclusion that because a player doesn't like posting on social media means he is old school and wont demand a better contract when the time comes? Him working his socks off is also a terrible take because the social media gurus Lingard and rashford work even harder? Should Lingard also be captain material?
My point remains that if he becomes a key player for us in the future he will demand a better contract and that's just natural for people in a work environment. Him being Old school/ Top Red doesn't change anything. This attempt at making him seem different is pretty poor to be honest. Lets also stop clinging to the old days as football has long since progressed and we're not Liverpool.
You are hilarious. That’s not my conclusion, that was just my additional comment. Read the whole post!!

KennyBurner

You are hilarious. That’s not my conclusion, that was just my additional comment. Read the whole post!!
I did and the post was quite silly. Are you some sort of behavioral analyst? You compared mctominay to players like school/giggs/neville without much detail. Him keeping his head down, not posting much on social media and giving fantastic interviews according to you doesn't warrant any comparison.

In earlier posts you also stated he doesn't "look like" he will ask for better wages which makes me think you might be some sort of behavioral analyst? So are you?\\

Nowadays if a player is good enough when the time comes they will demand a better contract'. look at herrerra as a case example.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I did and the post was quite silly. Are you some sort of behavioral analyst? You compared mctominay to players like school/giggs/neville without much detail. Him keeping his head down, not posting much on social media and giving fantastic interviews according to you doesn't warrant any comparison.

In earlier posts you also stated he doesn't "look like" he will ask for better wages which makes me think you might be some sort of behavioral analyst? So are you?\\

Nowadays if a player is good enough when the time comes they will demand a better contract'. look at herrerra as a case example.
Herrera is on his final best career years. Can’t use that as comparison on a young player who hasn’t even hit 25 years old.

I don’t think my post is silly, they are reasonable. I compared them as old school character of how they normally do in old days and have given you plenty examples but you used Lingard which is very embarrassing comparison.

I’m in shocked that you can’t even see how silly your post that you used Lingard as comparison just because he works hard but you are ignoring how childish he is & how much focus he is on social media & branding. Completely the opposite of Mctominay.

If you are smart enough you should know this well enough that Lingard’s professional & maturity attitude as a football character are far behind Mctominay even though Mctominay is younger, should never be compared.

Lastwolf

Scholes didn't have an agent at points, I think that's unlikely today.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Scholes didn't have an agent at points, I think that's unlikely today.
Not really, it hasn’t been a year that we are losing one of our very professional footballer who also doesn’t have agent. His name is António Valencia. But having agent or non agent isn’t the point of the discussion.

Raven

I actually think McTominay is captain material in the making as well. Carries himself very well, is hard working and confident. Speaks with conviction and intelligence. He's also usually very important when he plays, even when the rest are poor.

Something just occurred to me though, I think we have quite a few leader type young players finding their feet or coming through at the moment. Players like Lindelof, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Gomes and Scott. I quite like what I'm seeing and I'm excited to see what happens in the next 3 years.

KennyBurner

Herrera is on his final best career years. Can’t use that as comparison on a young player who hasn’t even hit 25 years old.

I don’t think my post is silly, they are reasonable. I compared them as old school character of how they normally do in old days and have given you plenty examples but you used Lingard which is very embarrassing comparison.

I’m in shocked that you can’t even see how silly your post that you used Lingard as comparison just because he works hard but you are ignoring how childish he is & how much focus he is on social media & branding. Completely the opposite of Mctominay.

If you are smart enough you should know this well enough that Lingard’s professional & maturity attitude as a football character are far behind Mctominay even though Mctominay is younger, should never be compared.
Now this post was just a bit rude which shows your level of maturity. "If Im smart enough:lol:."

Ive already stated why your points aren't reasonable. I told you football nowdays is very different now than back then. if giggs/scholes/neville were playing today they would demand better contracts because they would have better agents/counselling. It has nothing to do with their character or love of football. You have suggested that mctominay wont do that when the time comes because its not in his character. Basically he doesn't post much on social media, is hardworking and gives fanatstic inetrviews is your reason for why he wouldn't. if mctominay gets better he will most likely get snapped up by a big company/agent who will try to market him and get better contracts for him. Thats just football today. Nothing to do with a players character. Its happened to rashford given his rise in profile and Mctominay isn't exempt because of his "old school persona" which you have suggested because of his workrate and interviews.

You're very smart but yet you discredit Lingard for what he does off the pitch rather on it. Why should we care if Linagrd is childish or not? Does it take away from the fact that he gives his all on the pitch? Lingard might not be the most talent driven player but people like you who try to discredit him for his off field antics are quite embarrassing.

Litch

You've avoided answering my question again. You clearly haven't a clue. Just to reiterate what he's good at when it comes to being a midfielder.

1. Solid touch
2. Ability to shield and hang onto the ball.
3. Moves the ball quickly.
4. Positionally very good and people find it hard to get past him.
5. Passes between the lines well.
6. Joins in well when attacking.
7. Calm and collected on the ball, usually makes the right decision.

He is a 22 year old lad playing as a major part of the first team squad for Manchester United. Most midfielders, even the big ones, are not as accomplished as Scott at this age. Your lack of faith in Scott really says a lot about your understanding of the game.

The way I see it, at worst Scott becomes a John O'Shea type squad player, at best he becomes an important member of the first XI.
Not avoided the question, midfielders like every single position on the pitch come with different attributes. No one size fits all. For some reason on Fan forums if you share a different opinion than others people think it you are automatically wrong and they are right (and condescending and rude with it). It's not a science and it's subjective. No one on here polarises opinions more than Pogba, so who's right in that instance. Maybe Real and CL multiple winning Zz might be better informed the Ste from Salford from behind his keyboard...who knows?
Maybe my barometer is different than some, yes he's improved but in my opinion Scott, Young, Smalling, Jones, Pereira are squad players and should be no way near the first team. I feel mediocrity is now the norm, and anyone that is above that we are paying 200k a week. We should be demanding more cause across the city and up the M62, they are. That's my barometer cause we are 20 points plus behind them playing Europa league and whilst we are not, we are falling more behind each season.
It's not his fault but he should not be the answer......

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Now this post was just a bit rude which shows your level of maturity. "If Im smart enough:lol:."

Ive already stated why your points aren't reasonable. I told you football nowdays is very different now than back then. if giggs/scholes/neville were playing today they would demand better contracts because they would have better agents/counselling. It has nothing to do with their character or love of football. You have suggested that mctominay wont do that when the time comes because its not in his character. Basically he doesn't post much on social media, is hardworking and gives fanatstic inetrviews is your reason for why he wouldn't. if mctominay gets better he will most likely get snapped up by a big company/agent who will try to market him and get better contracts for him. Thats just football today. Nothing to do with a players character. Its happened to rashford given his rise in profile and Mctominay isn't exempt because of his "old school persona" which you have suggested because of his workrate and interviews.

You're very smart but yet you discredit Lingard for what he does off the pitch rather on it. Why should we care if Linagrd is childish or not? Does it take away from the fact that he gives his all on the pitch? Lingard might not be the most talent driven player but people like you who try to discredit him for his off field antics are quite embarrassing.
Apologies for being rude but I expect you to think first instead of calling an opinion that you disagree as silly. I meant after all I said why I think Mctominay has such a character, you started using Lingard as comparison. That’s just very not smart way & very lazy way to make comparison.

Not sure why do you think I discredit Lingard’s off field. It’s not like I’m comparing him to Neymar’s off field. McTominay is an old school one, I’m shocked you are still persistent with Lingard & McTominay comparison as character. Ask everyone on this forum whether both character are even comparable, you will be in laughing stock.

I already told you just because football nowadays is very different doesn’t mean there is not even a single player who can be like old school player as a character. And Mctominay is one of those nowadays player with such a character.

My reasons are very much reasonable because those three show what kind of character he is. When I questioned whether you are smart enough to understand, you felt offended. You are a smart one aren’t you? You should be thinking why I have to mention all his interview to show you what kind of person he is when he is speaking, the way how he acts on and off the game also show you his professional & how much he is so focused on his football. Mention me what makes Neville to be good example old school character and you will see in similarity with Mctominay.

Makes more sense than yours of Mctominay will likely get snapped up by big company/agent. That’s not wrong but the player can still refuse the agent, he even refuses to play for England. The thing even less sense is that your claim of him not wanting higher wages means he lacks ambition.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I get the sense a lot of people dislike Scott and Maguire for reasons that aren't belonging to footballing ability.

Maybe it's the younger generation who fall for marketable players. Not players who are from Scotland, ginger, big or ugly. No matter how good he is at football his name is Scott McTominay - what a shit name after all.

Never mind Sean Longstaff - horrendous name how is he meant to be good at football? He's ugly too.

Marcelinho87

I find calling him average is quite harsh... He is never going to be a world beater but I don't think anybody expects him to be.

But he can go on and have a very good career in the mould of Butt, JSP or even Fletcher... All very good and important players in one way or another for Manchester United.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I get the sense a lot of people dislike Scott and Maguire for reasons that aren't belonging to footballing ability.

Maybe it's the younger generation who fall for marketable players. Not players who are from Scotland, ginger, big or ugly. No matter how good he is at football his name is Scott McTominay - what a shit name after all.

Never mind Sean Longstaff - horrendous name how is he meant to be good at football? He's ugly too.
To be fair, McTomninay is a stud. He is like a bigger version of Clint Eastwood's son. Great head of hair and very broad shoulders. Easily 1.92 - 1.94 m, 85-95kg.

Steven7290

more like you made an assumption about ambition=wage demand and I didnt agree. it doesnt have to be McT or anyone, just stating if he doesnt demand higher wage, he lacks ambition is a funny thing to say.

LoCalXT

If we don't sign a DM, he will take over Matic's spot.
Does his job with the ability he has, hard working and disciplined player that can sit behind Pogba and Bruno.

KennyBurner

I actually think McTominay is captain material in the making as well. Carries himself very well, is hard working and confident. Speaks with conviction and intelligence. He's also usually very important when he plays, even when the rest are poor.

Something just occurred to me though, I think we have quite a few leader type young players finding their feet or coming through at the moment. Players like Lindelof, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Gomes and Scott. I quite like what I'm seeing and I'm excited to see what happens in the next 3 years.
he might who knows? he is 22 now and this might be the season he tries tot establish himself. his contract expiers in 2023 and if he is good enough we have ample time before contract negotiations.
Apologies for being rude but I expect you to think first instead of calling an opinion that you disagree as silly. I meant after all I said why I think Mctominay has such a character, you started using Lingard as comparison. That’s just very not smart way & very lazy way to make comparison.

Not sure why do you think I discredit Lingard’s off field. It’s not like I’m comparing him to Neymar’s off field. McTominay is an old school one, I’m shocked you are still persistent with Lingard & McTominay comparison as character. Ask everyone on this forum whether both character are even comparable, you will be in laughing stock.

I already told you just because football nowadays is very different doesn’t mean there is not even a single player who can be like old school player as a character. And Mctominay is one of those nowadays player with such a character.

My reasons are very much reasonable because those three show what kind of character he is. When I questioned whether you are smart enough to understand, you felt offended. You are a smart one aren’t you? You should be thinking why I have to mention all his interview to show you what kind of person he is when he is speaking, the way how he acts on and off the game also show you his professional & how much he is so focused on his football. Mention me what makes Neville to be good example old school character and you will see in similarity with Mctominay.

Makes more sense than yours of Mctominay will likely get snapped up by big company/agent. That’s not wrong but the player can still refuse the agent, he even refuses to play for England. The thing even less sense is that your claim of him not wanting higher wages means he lacks ambition.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree. You've made your points which are all over the place to be honest. I dont know how you've brought neymar into the discussion regarding lingard but whatever. Ive also never compared lingards character to mctominays but their workrate. All Ive said is players nowadays will tend to negotiate a better contract if they have the ability and feel they deserve it. The increasing supply of agents and better counselling nowadays also feeds into that. You however have tried to twist what Ive been trying to argue so lets just call it a day. Its your opinion and I respect it.

Mctominay is looking very promising and Im hoping he establishes himself this season so we dont need to look for a Dm. Its also nice to have a 2x premier league winning Dm in matic as backup in the future if Mctominay can cement himself this season. Also from our Academy so thats a big plus.

Dazzmondo

Really hope Scott has a great season because I'm pretty certain now that we're not signing a dm this season. I respect his commitment and work rate, he always gives his all. I'm not convinced he's technically good enough but if he does go on to have a great season I'll be delighted. If we're stuck with Matic starting as our dm for the whole season I don't have high hopes for our season.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Automatic starter now. His feet just keep getting quicker every time I watch him play. Very composed and has also started playing Carrick piercing passes on the ground.

He’s clearly set in stone next to pogba as seen by the team selection of the ‘better’ team of the 2nd half vs Perth

Jonno

Agree with this completely.

haram

For me, he replaces Herrera rather than Matic.

This is partly true.

Stadjer

A big advantage he has over Matic is that he can actually run... i would still like another midfielder so the midfield can be Pogba with a combination of McT/Matic/Fred/new player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely think he's more of a box to box. Not sure his natural game is to be a sitting midfielder, and as a result, when he plays there, we'll probably look unorganized and sloppy in midfield (if he's the only defensive option in midfield).

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Impressive performance from him, especially considering he's playing a lot deeper than normal.
I trust him a lot more in that role than Matic, based on physicality alone.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Impressive performance from him, especially considering he's playing a lot deeper than normal.
I trust him a lot more in that role than Matic, based on physicality alone.
By the looks of things both he and Pogba will be playing deeper this season, I'd quite like to see how a midfield three of Gomes - Pogba - McTominay gets on.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
By the looks of things both he and Pogba will be playing deeper this season, I'd quite like to see how a midfield three of Gomes - Pogba - McTominay gets on.
Yeah me too.
I think if Pogba stays, we'll see that midfield a good few times over the season.
Wrong thread but I'm seriously impressed with Gomes, he's taken to the first team nicely.

Raven

Yeah, I think we controlled the game a lot more in the second half because Gomes wasn't being bullied like Mata was in the first.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks like his vacation training vids weren't just for views. Looks strong and prepared from the very start of the tour.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I realize the Fletcher comparisons are probably a bit lazy, but he reminds me more of him than any other midfielder we've had in the last while so.. yeah.

If turns out anywhere near as good as Fletcher then I'll be delighted.

Web of Bissaka

Not United quality so funny

One bad first touch back pass aside which put Lindelof(?) under pressure, that's a perfect complete good game. :devil:I'm digging the McPog combo, one have something which the other don't, vice versa, complete combination together. I think their positionings in different intervals are very good, doesn't crossover/mess up each other's.

Alabaster Codify7

I still dont really rate Scott, sorry. However, he's far more mobile and energetic than Matic so I would be all for giving him Matic's starting position from the off this season. If he pushes on a level, great, if he doesn't we prioritise upgrading CDM next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.