6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Wasnt our worst player thats for sure, but you'd expect better from both our deep CMs than this

I actually thought his passing seemed a bit sharper today and yet it's statistically lower than the other games .

He was decent today I thought. I think he will look a lot better in a more balanced midfield 3. It's very clear that he and Pogba don't work that well in a midfield two.

Sylar

Was involved in the key moments. The way he took the ball to lay it off to James for the opening goal was great.

He was the 'safe option' to come off as the final sub. But he was better than the other two midfielders and that includes Matic who just came on.

Devil may care

Plenty of effort and tried a bit more on the ball today, the fact is right now he's gotta start because he's the best option we have, that's a soberig thought but it's the reality of our shitty transfer window. He's a classic squad player of the type Fergie utilized so well, sadly Ole doesn't have the starting quality players to use him in the right way, and people need to realize he's not really a DM, he gets caught out positionally a lot as his natural game is a box to box workhorse.

RooneyLegend

He's trash, its that simple. No point expecting better. Him starting is the sort of decision that has me convinced Ole isnt the man for the job.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is okay. Problem is we are expecting too much from him.On an ideal world, He should be slowly getting into the team.

Flying_Heckfish

Plenty of effort and tried a bit more on the ball today, the fact is right now he's gotta start because he's the best option we have, that's a soberig thought but it's the reality of our shitty transfer window. He's a classic squad player of the type Fergie utilized so well, sadly Ole doesn't have the starting quality players to use him in the right way, and people need to realize he's not really a DM, he gets caught out positionally a lot as his natural game is a box to box workhorse.
Agreed, very much a squad player being asked to step up beyond his current capabilities. Lingard is the same but he is being payed as a first teamer and doesn't do his job as well as McT

passing-wind

Feel sorry for Scott, Solskjaer is ruining his development using him in a silly double pivot midfield with Pogba who has a poor defensive work rate. It's a recipe for disaster, a manager with a similar ethos to Poch would turn Mctomminay into a very useful player.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Some of you guys are bonkers IMO.

McTominay is a very useful player, he just shouldn't necessarily be in our starting 11 week in week out yet.

Foxbatt

I felt sorry for him. He was the midfield today. He was the only one. What do you expect him to do? He was supposed to defend, box to box, and create too?
He is only a decent player and is supposed to do all these things by himself.
There is no way that he is able to do these things and should not expect him to do these things. He is a good squad player in the mould of O'Shea, Phil Neville etc.

Devil may care

Agreed, very much a squad player being asked to step up beyond his current capabilities. Lingard is the same but he is being payed as a first teamer and doesn't do his job as well as McT
The other thing for McTominay is that he isn't playing with a midfield partner that can lead him as would usually be the case with a young player as inexperienced as he is. I like and rate Pogba but to me he's rarely at his best in a double pivot and certainly not a player to lead his partner as positionally he's suspct himself.

In Rainbows

Thought McTominay was the opposite of Pogba. Started off poor, where as I thought Pogba started off decent. Pogba finished the 1st half shockingly, and McTominay finished the 1st half well. Had a couple of good passes that properly got us into an attack. One was a great ball over the top for AWB.

2nd half, I thought he lacked quality. Think it made sense to take him off, as we needed another attacker, but if you were truly making a decision based on nothing, but objectivity, Matic should have came off over McTominay.

Hawks2008

Shouldn't be starting week in week out. fecking criminal not to have signed more midfielders. Whoever made that decision needs sacking

Based Adnan

Yesterday he:

Got the assist for the goal after some good link up play
Had a lovely cross for AWB which went just over
Had a lovely cross for James which he misshit
Got a Southampton player sent off with a good drive forward
Good defensive contribution throughout

Yes his passing could be better but there's time for that improve and he still created 3 good chances for us. Feel like people just blame certain players when we have a bad result regardless of performance. If he has that kind of game every week for us then I'll be happy.

JoaquinJoaquin

Goes through the motions too much, and has absolutely no influence on too many games to be considered a good prospect. He really impressed me in pre-season, but since the season started he has been very mediocre actually. He has kind of escaped harsh criticism as other players like Lingard and Pereira etc are worse.

Alabaster Codify7

Limited squad player who puts in a shift. In 2019, that's basically all you need to be a regular first team player at Man United. Sad, really.

ottosec

Has been one of our worst players almost every game so far. Is there really no one else who can play in his place?

Augustus Gloop

Yesterday he:

Got the assist for the goal after some good link up play
Had a lovely cross for AWB which went just over
Had a lovely cross for James which he misshit
Got a Southampton player sent off with a good drive forward
Good defensive contribution throughout

Yes his passing could be better but there's time for that improve and he still created 3 good chances for us. Feel like people just blame certain players when we have a bad result regardless of performance. If he has that kind of game every week for us then I'll be happy.
Yeah, basically this!

I think it might be beneficial if against Leicester we pop Pogba up top to CAM and stick someone alongside Scott. Let Scott do a box-to-box role.

I really think the amount of fouls he draws off the opposition is a key trait in itself. I mean the pen he won and the red card he “won” in the last 2 games speaks volumes. Use that!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is everyone comfortable with him being an automatic starter ? I really don't know how he went from sort of interesting young midfielder to automatic starter. How can it be that easy? It's hardly as though we have a worldie of a talent on our hands. Bizarre stuff. We've somehow gone from Matic (when he was good) - Herrera - Pogba to McTominay - Pogba, which is a fairly big downgrade when we needed to go up a few notches.

haram

The formation is the issue. You are asking two box to box players in Pogba and Scott to hold a deep lying role and a sort of DM role. Pogba has the ability to handle the ball in deep areas because of his ball retention skills (which vanished against Soton tbh) and Scott has the ability to make tackles and close spaces off quickly. That being said, they should be able to do this AND be able to raid forward. They are two players who can be useful in transition and they are totally limited at the moment.

Scott made the run that got Danso sent off. I think he made a run that won us a penalty the game before. He can use his athleticism in defence of course, but he needs to be able to use it going the other way as well. Both him and Pogba are worrying too much about holding as a two when there should be a third midfielder doing more of the holding.

When we have a goal kick for example, of course Pogba should drop deeper because he is our best player at holding the ball under pressure and springing the transition. Beyond that though he should be advancing and helping us to create further up. Scott then takes the secondary role as the other box to box and joins in when we are transitioning. At the moment, I really don't see enough of it because Scott and Pogba cannot really leave where they are playing because there isn't a 3rd CM covering. The CB should also be stepping in to help the 3rd CM, is that not the advantage of having a CB who is comfortable on the ball and stepping into midfield zones?

humdinger

I really like Scott and he deserves a place in our squad. It’s absolutely crazy that we have no other options to bring in when he struggles though.

haram

I did also say this high pressing high intensity game does not work over 90 minutes and definitely not over a whole season if you do not retain better possession of the ball. Adding another midfielder in there will help us keep possession. AWB also cannot be having 66% pass completion. The whole team needs to keep the ball better.

dev1l

He s not the finished article but I think he s on the right track.

SilverPaper on the Breeze

I've said repeatedly that Scott McTominay is the new Darren Fletcher. The thing about Fletch was, especially in the early days, he kept getting better. That's what I think young Scott is doing. He's not a world beater at the moment, but he's a better player now than he was 6 months ago. And he was a better player 6 months ago than he was 12 months ago. He's on the right path.

The other thing to note about him is his character. Ultimately, playing football for a club the size of United comes down to mentality; do you have the balls? Plenty of players have the talent, but not many have the talent and the temperament. So far this season, I've watched McTominay, who has less than 50 senior appearances, dish out absolute b*llockings to other players, cajole them and demand more. He's more of a captain than players a lot more senior than him that are no doubt earning a lot more money.

It might transpire that he's not quite talented enough to be one of the best in the world and the defensive midfield lynch-pin for a title winning side, but it won't be for lack of effort or off-field fannying about. At worst he's going to be a bloody useful squad player and exactly the kind of character you want to keep around.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've said repeatedly that Scott McTominay is the new Darren Fletcher. The thing about Fletch was, especially in the early days, he kept getting better. That's what I think young Scott is doing. He's not a world beater at the moment, but he's a better player now than he was 6 months ago. And he was a better player 6 months ago than he was 12 months ago. He's on the right path.

The other thing to note about him is his character. Ultimately, playing football for a club the size of United comes down to mentality; do you have the balls? Plenty of players have the talent, but not many have the talent and the temperament. So far this season, I've watched McTominay, who has less than 50 senior appearances, dish out absolute b*llockings to other players, cajole them and demand more. He's more of a captain than players a lot more senior than him that are no doubt earning a lot more money.

It might transpire that he's not quite talented enough to be one of the best in the world and the defensive midfield lynch-pin for a title winning side, but it won't be for lack of effort or off-field fannying about. At worst he's going to be a bloody useful squad player and exactly the kind of character you want to keep around.
Fletcher was always a talented player though, a lot more natural talent than McTominay has. We'll see how he pushes on, but I just don't really see it past being a squad player who can provide energy and a big body in midfield. He's decent in a lot of ways, but definitely just more of a box to box player, and I'm not big on him as a holding midfielder but that's what he'll be for the season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is everyone comfortable with him being an automatic starter ? I really don't know how he went from sort of interesting young midfielder to automatic starter. How can it be that easy? It's hardly as though we have a worldie of a talent on our hands. Bizarre stuff. We've somehow gone from Matic (when he was good) - Herrera - Pogba to McTominay - Pogba, which is a fairly big downgrade when we needed to go up a few notches.
Nope. Far too limited on the ball for me.

Thing is, though, I'm not arguing against him being a starter as of now because our other options are just as rubbish, if not worse. It's a sad state we're in as I don't see him getting into the majority of PL midfields, and here it's actually reasonable that he is a starter.

SilverPaper on the Breeze

Fletcher was always a talented player though, a lot more natural talent than McTominay has. We'll see how he pushes on, but I just don't really see it past being a squad player who can provide energy and a big body in midfield. He's decent in a lot of ways, but definitely just more of a box to box player, and I'm not big on him as a holding midfielder but that's what he'll be for the season.
I’m curious about your claim on Fletcher’s talent; the guy was slated for his first few seasons as fans (myself included) couldn’t work out what Fergie saw in him. Slowly he blossomed. His talents, as far as I could see, were work rate, temperament, stamina, tactical discipline etc. He was neat and tidy, but never a Scholes or Carrick on the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I’m curious about your claim on Fletcher’s talent; the guy was slated for his first few seasons as fans (myself included) couldn’t work out what Fergie saw in him. Slowly he blossomed. His talents, as far as I could see, were work rate, temperament, stamina, tactical discipline etc. He was neat and tidy, but never a Scholes or Carrick on the ball.
He wasn't a scholes or carrick but there's a big gap between them and McTominay... Cleverley IMO had more natural talent than McTominay, yet Cleverley was far from good enough (for various other reasons though). I just think he's really far off being good enough of a passer, he doesn't need to have amazing passing range, but his basic short passing is very inconsistent and as a central midfielder that's a huge red flag. We'll see, but I really don't see him ever being viewed as a starter past this season where he is the starter out of necessity because we just don't have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.