Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I’m curious about your claim on Fletcher’s talent; the guy was slated for his first few seasons as fans (myself included) couldn’t work out what Fergie saw in him. Slowly he blossomed. His talents, as far as I could see, were work rate, temperament, stamina, tactical discipline etc. He was neat and tidy, but never a Scholes or Carrick on the ball.
I have to agree with this. In fact Mctominay is the much better player at the same age for me.

Tarrou

Imagine how today’s caf would react to the first few seasons Fletcher had with us

It would be apocalyptic

Tarrou

It was still pretty ugly back then.
and then in true caf style he went from a Championship player to world class :lol:

I can see lots of similarities with Fletcher in fairness, but he early United career definitely wouldn't be one of them

Mr PG

You give away the ball twice or thrice trying to make things happen and that’s all that sticks in people’s minds.

I noticed the team is trying one or two touches minimum which takes getting used to and everyone was recovering a lot quicker when we lost the ball as opposed to crystal palace.

Scott is a lot better upfront and his game suffers when he always has to cover for Pogba. Ole was crazy to sub him against crystal palace as Pogba is too risky and sure enough we conceded soon thereafter.

Mr PG

Towards end of last season Fred and Scott were our best midfielders. Fred unfortunately got judged against PSG, Arsenal, Chelsea etc as he only played the bigger games now Ole has a blond spot on him.

Augustus Gloop

76 percent. FFS.
Ordinarily that would be bad reading but he did get a 7.8/10 on the same site (whoscored.com) second only to Dan James. His passing was iffy but his all-round game against Soton was good.

It’s weird because other than a couple of longballs that fell just short and a couple of balls he hit out of play, his passing seemed ok. First half he stroked a few passes forward straight out of the air accurately

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Played the full 90 earlier against Belgium and is getting panned by the Scottish fans for being dreadful. Anyone watch the game?

Roboc7

Played the full 90 earlier against Belgium and is getting panned by the Scottish fans for being dreadful. Anyone watch the game?
He wasn’t very good in either of the international games but not many Scotland players were in fairness. Looked a very average player last night, just doesn’t have the passing range and not suited to role he was playing.

He wasn’t very good in either of the international games but not many Scotland players were in fairness. Looked a very average player last night, just doesn’t have the passing range and not suited to role he was playing.
What role was he playing?

Augustus Gloop

Theyre just scapegoating. Robertson is getting the same stick.

He wasn’t exactly good, not too many players look good in a 4-0 defeat, but his passing was pretty crisp and accurate. What I took from it is he is gonna look very sharp for man united in Saturday

romufc

Holding midfielder but struggled to track runners in both games. Looked poor in possession which was combination of poor movement around him and his limited ability on the ball.
I think KDB has that effect, he can make the any player look ordinary tbf.

Roboc7

I think KDB has that effect, he can make the any player look ordinary tbf.
True but he had same issues against Russia and KDB isn’t stopping him from being able to pass the ball. Not his fault he clearly isn’t a holding midfielder but seems to have found himself being classified as one.

El Zoido

Imagine how today’s caf would react to the first few seasons Fletcher had with us

It would be apocalyptic
He was rubbish for years, then eventually turned in to a really top class footballer. Think he was 26-27 before he was any good.

dbs235

That's because he is a very average player, it's easier to spot for Scotland.

romufc

True but he had same issues against Russia and KDB isn’t stopping him from being able to pass the ball. Not his fault he clearly isn’t a holding midfielder but seems to have found himself being classified as one.

Yep, but Scotland don't really have talented midfielders, strikers either.. McT is not one you look for inspiration, he is a work horse.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is lucky that we have Lingard in squad so escapes criticsm. He is not first 11 player. And i don't think that he has potential to be better. Especially for playing in midfield two where his biggest flaw is so obvious( too weak on the ball).
On a positive side; he is perfect example of squad player. You need player like him who will be happy for playing 20-25 games per season and who will do basic job. Useful player but nothing else.

flappyjay

He is lucky that we have Lingard in squad so escapes criticsm. He is not first 11 player. And i don't think that he has potential to be better. Especially for playing in midfield two where his biggest flaw is so obvious( too weak on the ball).
On a positive side; he is perfect example of squad player. You need player like him who will be happy for playing 20-25 games per season and who will do basic job. Useful player but nothing else.
To be fair to him one of his biggest assets is his energy and by being played as a holding midfielder both us and Scotland are limiting him. Pressing high and winning the ball is more his style rather than seating deep and shielding the defence. More like a poor man's Ngolo Kante if you will

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be fair to him one of his biggest assets is his energy and by being played as a holding midfielder both us and Scotland are limiting him. Pressing high and winning the ball is more his style rather than seating deep and shielding the defence. More like a poor man's Ngolo Kante if you will
To be fair it’s been said that his positioning is excellent, so he should be able to play the defensive role.

I think he’s most useful getting forward too personally, more of an athletic Fellaini if you like. He’s just not very good though, which is his biggest problem. It’s hard to hide from that in central midfield, wherever you are used. You are expected to have the ball and do well with it.

romufc

Once Lingard is out the team, I can see you lobbying for McT as the new scapegoat.

I don't see what he has done wrong? Maybe back your players for once?

JohnnyLaw

Once Lingard is out the team, I can see you lobbying for McT as the new scapegoat.

He’s actually made some really important contributions in the last two games for us including winning a penalty against Palace and for instigating the foul that resulted in the sending off against Southampton. Both of those games should’ve been won due from his actions.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

What does that even mean? I should say that he is top class or say nothing? Well, then basically most threads would be empty. Did i say that he is dross? Did i say that he is donkey, clown or some other word with which posters describe players? No. I don't understand what is your point here.

romufc

What does that even mean? I should say that he is top class or say nothing? Well, then basically most threads would be empty. Did i say that he is dross? Did i say that he is donkey, clown or some other word with which posters describe players? No. I don't understand what is your point here.
That makes sense, I cannot expect you to back players if you don't know the meaning.

He is lucky because Lingards form so he escapes criticism? McT He has justified his place in the first 11, brings energy and pressing. Make makes you say he is lucky to be in the first 11?

He is 21 but has no potential to be better? So you know he has hit his ceiling?

Weak on the ball? what stats have you to prove that?

I actually didn't say you said any of that? all I asked is to back the players.

romufc

He’s actually made some really important contributions in the last two games for us including winning a penalty against Palace and for instigating the foul that resulted in the sending off against Southampton. Both of those games should’ve been won due from his actions.
Exactly, but because he isn't a player who has 5 star skill or silky passing he is worthless.

Most successful teams have players like him who don't need the limelight and let others play.

Roboc7

Exactly, but because he isn't a player who has 5 star skill or silky passing he is worthless.

Most successful teams have players like him who don't need the limelight and let others play.
He has his uses but you won’t find a successful team with a player as ordinary as Mctominay starting. That’s the big issue which isn’t his fault and isn’t going to change anytime soon.

We need to just recognise him for what he is someone who is doing his best but is a very average player who only starts because we don’t have anyone else and aren’t very good. He’d be sweating on making the bench if he was a Leicester player this weekend but guaranteed to start for us.

Hopefully next season and beyond he is not playing as much but has found a role in the squad because in certain games if we’re playing a midfield 3 he could be very useful.

romufc

He has his uses but you won’t find a successful team with a player as ordinary as Mctominay starting. That’s the big issue which isn’t his fault and isn’t going to change anytime soon.

We need to just recognise him for what he is someone who is doing his best but is a very average player who only starts because we don’t have anyone else and aren’t very good. He’d be sweating on making the bench if he was a Leicester player this weekend but guaranteed to start for us.

Hopefully next season and beyond he is not playing as much but has found a role in the squad because in certain games if we’re playing a midfield 3 he could be very useful.

That is quite unfair on him tbh. Liverpool played with Milner and Henderson.

Delph played LB for City.

We wont the league with Cleverly.

Raven

I think he's feeling the pressure at the moment, it's been his first couple of games as a guaranteed starter. If he can start being a little more calm and composed under the press, like he was last season, he'll be a cracking player.

romufc

I think he's feeling the pressure at the moment, it's been his first couple of games as a guaranteed starter. If he can start being a little more calm and composed under the press, like he was last season, he'll be a cracking player.
Yep, I agree all we need is the team to start winning and the mood here will change.

I want our front 3 to develop into something special because on paper and talent they have skill and pace with all 3 being able to interchange yet all 3 bring something different to the table too.

Roboc7

That is quite unfair on him tbh. Liverpool played with Milner and Henderson.

Delph played LB for City.

We wont the league with Cleverly.
It’s not unfair at all it’s his level, said before you can count on one hand teams in league he’d start for regularly. If we had good midfielders he’d be nowhere near the team but reality is we don’t.

There’s no point pretending he’s the next Carrick or other such nonsense and creating false expectations he’s just fortunate that our midfield is a shambles but that’s not his issue. I hope he sticks around as a squad player but if he’s still a starter next season and beyond then we’re in trouble.

romufc

It’s not unfair at all it’s his level, said before you can count on one hand teams in league he’d start for regularly. If we had good midfielders he’d be nowhere near the team but reality is we don’t.

There’s no point pretending he’s the next Carrick or other such nonsense and creating false expectations he’s just fortunate that our midfield is a shambles but that’s not his issue. I hope he sticks around as a squad player but if he’s still a starter next season and beyond then we’re in trouble.
Only time will tell on how good he is or can be for Mnautd.

Raven

Yep, I agree all we need is the team to start winning and the mood here will change.

I want our front 3 to develop into something special because on paper and talent they have skill and pace with all 3 being able to interchange yet all 3 bring something different to the table too.
Everyone's getting used to a new system, it was never going to be a painless transition. We do have weaknesses in this team, midfield being one of them unfortunately, but as McTominay settles into his first team role, and potentially Fred or Gomes gets a look in, that could change significantly.

Santos J

Very good, bit sloppy on the ball at times but overall a good performance still.

Status
Not open for further replies.