6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgipep

Typical performance. He’s a big game player when you want to play a defensive game and need a defensive 8 to put in a shift. But against a weaker side with the majority of possession he’s a nothing player, he offers nothing with the ball. Crystal Palace’s midfield are better with the ball. And he still isn’t a holding midfielder and never will be. Just 5 minutes of Matic and you see everything he has needed for the role, Scott has none of it.
He is too eager to do stuff when on the ball. I hope he works on that and having Matić on the training field is the best example to learn from. Otherwise, we should use him in a more advanced position where the expectations are different. Coincidentally, it might also mean he plays significantly less.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Feel sorry for Scotty. He's not a DM at all. He's actually had his best moments in a utd shirt in attack with some long range rockets.

He should be the first choice back up for Pogba so he can play the B2B role. Fred is more suited to do what Matic does.

Craig Ward

Was a tough night for him.

He was poor positionally and looked shaky on the ball.

To defend him a little, we started the game atrociously and all our players looked too casual.

I wouldnt bash him too hard - he's still young and learning. I was surprised Fred didnt start ahead of him saying that and the difference when matic plays DM is clear as day.

Maybe McTom isnt best suited to DM, but he can certainly do better there. It's all about reading the game and being disciplined - something Matic does superbly. He'll have better days there, but it was an off night for him

Craig Ward

This. McTominay and Fred are both decent players in their own right but a Matic replacement who always balance to Pogba and Fernandes they are not. I would be happy to sell Fred this summer and get a player similar to Matic in.
Odd comment, why would you sell Fred? He's better than McTom and was our best midfielder before lockdown.

We need a good squad, not a good X11.

I agree - we may need to sign a DM to replace matic, but i suspect we wont do that until next summer.

romufc

Feel sorry for Scotty. He's not a DM at all. He's actually had his best moments in a utd shirt in attack with some long range rockets.

He should be the first choice back up for Pogba so he can play the B2B role. Fred is more suited to do what Matic does.
Agreed, again he is still very young. He came into the team when there was poor quality and thought yeah I can hack this. Coming back from lockdown, reality has kicked in when but this is what I like, you cannot break into a Manutd team just like that.

McTominay will improve, he now knows the quality it would take to play in this team.

This. He's a box to box. You could see in the second half before he got pulled when he and Pogba swapped that he was far better suited to playing in the channels and pressing the midfield, rather than sitting deep and trying to dictate play. If anything, he needs to be Pogba's replacement and we need to get Fred in to be rotation for Matic.

My feeling is that Ole is hoping he can turn him into a Matic style midfielder (except more mobile) but that's not going to happen for a few years.
Spot on. That’s what people don’t see. The boys only 22! There are countless midfielders that spent their formative years as a box to box or even as an attacking midfielder (like Matic himself) before learning the DM role as they mature as a player into their mid/late 20s.

Highfather_24

Odd comment, why would you sell Fred? He's better than McTom and was our best midfielder before lockdown.

We need a good squad, not a good X11.

I agree - we may need to sign a DM to replace matic, but i suspect we wont do that until next summer.
Here's the thing. We have a spot for 3 midfielders in the starting lineup. So a proper squad should have say, 6 starting midfielders to choose from, 2 for every role. Then you have academy products like Garner, Levitt etc.

Our starting midfield is Matic, Pogba and Bruno.

DM : Matic
CM : Pogba
AM : Bruno

Apart from them we have Fred and McTominay, who are both CMs, and not DM like Matic. They are both box to box energetic midfielders. So we definitely need a backup for Bruno(whether that be someone like Pereira or someone we buy like Grealish). We need a new DM, who can compete with Matic, because Fred/McTominay have looked unconvincing playing as the deepest midfielder. So that leaves space for just one more player, who will deputise for Pogba.

So that has to be either Fred or McTominay.Take your pick. Fred is the better player currently, but he is 27. McTominay has his better years ahead of him.

Josh 76

Said it before and will say it again.
He plays well when he is the under dog. Meaning a tackle is cheered by all the fans against City or Liverpool and some how he becomes man of the match, but against most of the teams that's expected and won't get the applaudits.

RashysTekkers

Spot on. That’s what people don’t see. The boys only 22! There are countless midfielders that spent their formative years as a box to box or even as an attacking midfielder (like Matic himself) before learning the DM role as they mature as a player into their mid/late 20s.
Agree to this. Many established DMs in the world came good in their late 20s and played well into their mid-30s. Pirlo, Scholes, Carrick, De Rossi are just a few examples.

Hughes35

Bit of a strange player really. I really like him but he's not great at just sitting in front of the back 4, protecting and using the ball like Matic does or Carrick did.

Against the big 6 and the better teams in Europe he's possibly the first name on the team sheet though.

red4ever 79

Bit of a strange player really. I really like him but he's not great at just sitting in front of the back 4, protecting and using the ball like Matic does or Carrick did.

Against the big 6 and the better teams in Europe he's possibly the first name on the team sheet though.
Darren Fletcher always played against the big teams and did well also. I am also in two minds with Scott. Doesnt suit a CDM role at this moment in time that's for sure. He cant pass through the lines and doesnt take up the correct positions. That's not to say he cannot get better though and improve. He is not a starter for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Said it before and will say it again.
He plays well when he is the under dog. Meaning a tackle is cheered by all the fans against City or Liverpool and some how he becomes man of the match, but against most of the teams that's expected and won't get the applaudits.
That's not true. he plays well when the game is open, like it was against teams like Norwich and other big teams. When we play against defensive teams, he is poor. He lacks vision to play line breaking passes, something Matic is good at but Matic slows down the game a lot.

Ideally we should sign someone for defensive midfield position who can play quick passes and let the game flow. Fred is good option IMO and should be given chances as DM.

Sylar

He did a job. It allowed us to the ability to not play Matic whole game which is a plus. He wasnt at his best, but he got minutes in again. And with a few games left, its useful for him to be there to allow rest for more key players.

boxykronikle

Giving him benefit of a doubt. The whole league didn't play for so long and it's only natural for one to lose momentum.

Him and Fred were our best midfielders during the absence of Pogba and Matic.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The problem I have with McTominay is that I don't really know what he excels at. It isn't his passing or vision, but I don't think he's good at destroying either. Needs to be doing better if he's going to make it at United as the bar is being raised again.
He’s really good at being from our academy. :lol:

Robbie Boy

Played his best stuff when he's more B2B as he gets himself about. When he has to be disciplined and sit in front of the back four he's awful. No idea why some say he can be groomed to take the DM role as he has no redeeming qualities in that position.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Even if he can be groomed to play as a DM (which I doubt) now is not the time to do that. We are not a top team with lots of good players to have the luxury of experimenting with players positions and seeing if they can come good.

Kostov

He was decent at best, couple of shocking passes which is criminal to displace at this level. Massive downgrade from prime Matic imo. We are fools to go into next season and to no reinforce the CDM position.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You'll never know sir;). Players develop differently. We'll just have to wait and see.
Tactics, positioning, strength...those are things which player can upgrade. Technique and skill they can't.
And he is not young boy. He will be 24 next season. With 24 players are finished products more or less.
Riding on passion train get you fans sympathy at the beggining but it ends soon. He is bottom club quality and should be nowhere near first United team. Skill wins you titles, not passion

Shark

@NotShark
Tactics, positioning, strength...those are things which player can upgrade. Technique and skill they can't.
And he is not young boy. He will be 24 next season. With 24 players are finished products more or less.
Riding on passion train get you fans sympathy at the beggining but it ends soon. He is bottom club quality and should be nowhere near first United team. Skill wins you titles, not passion
He's quickly turning into the new Tom Cleverly for me, not really good at anything he does and overrated by the majority on here. Also posters talking like he was great while Pogba was injured, but fail to look at some of the horrid results to fodder with him in the team. Fred is a much better midfielder.

abkmufc92

He's quickly turning into the new Tom Cleverly for me, not really good at anything he does and overrated by the majority on here. Also posters talking like he was great while Pogba was injured, but fail to look at some of the horrid results to fodder with him in the team. Fred is a much better midfielder.
He's worse than Cleverly but the standards have dropped so much at this club that he gets a free ride just because he came from the academy.

He will be 24 in December and doesn't excel at anything and I really doubt that within the next couple of seasons he will be significantly better than what he is now.

Fred is a much better player and should be starting when Matic or Pogba are out of the team.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
This is same guy that early on in the season was our main midfielder. We struggled when he was injured.

Now after one bad game and we’re writing him off.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is same guy that early on in the season was our main midfielder. We struggled when he was injured.

The early season praise was massively hyperbolic, and we didn’t struggle when he was injured either - Matic came into the team and improved it.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
The early season praise was massively hyperbolic, and we didn’t struggle when he was injured either - Matic came into the team and improved it.
I must be getting too old for this. Hyperbolic. I had to google that. If I remember correctly we did struggle in his absence.

E-mal

He isn't as creative or technically gifted and will stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to the players in front of him.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is some revisionism going on.

He was never our main midfielder and Matic was better than him when he came in.

Web of Bissaka

What's your next excuse/revisionism? Clearly you just don't want to rate him at all.

McT's out from (Dec 27th to Feb 18)

United when he's injured, up until Bruno joined.
Win 2-0 Burnley​
Lost 0-2 Arsenal
Draw 0-0 Wolves​
Lost 1-3 City
Won 4-0 Norwich​
Won 1-0 Wolves​
Lost 0-2 Pool (playing with 5 defenders)​
Lost 0-2 Burnley​
Won 6-0 TR​
Won 1-0 City (playing with 5 defenders, we were outplayed but won, Matic scored a freak great goal)​

Before injury, vs "top" teams:
Won 4-1 Chelsea
Won 1-0 Leicester
Drew 1-1 Arsenal
Drew 1-1 Pool (playing with 5 defenders)​
Won 2-1 Chelsea (playing with 5 defenders)​
Won 2-1 Spurs
Won 2-1 City

We struggled without him in big games.

Let's just forget about those and pretend he's not important.
Let's change the story to suit the reality you're forcing yourself to imagine to be the real truth.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

He's worse than Cleverly but the standards have dropped so much at this club that he gets a free ride just because he came from the academy.

He will be 24 in December and doesn't excel at anything and I really doubt that within the next couple of seasons he will be significantly better than what he is now.

Fred is a much better player and should be starting when Matic or Pogba are out of the team.
Wow. Typical.

I like to see opinions with different perspectives but this is just pure laziness.

Do people have short term memories or something? Memories about early season and last season performances disappear just like that.

Recency bias.
I do admit his form since he's back from injury is poor though, except the goals.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He's not at his best at the moment but to write off his influence over the rest of the season is moronic. Same for Fred, some idiots writing off his contribution too. Tragic really, now we've got Pogba and Bruno, everyone that went before is unworthy of respect. Mctominay assumed responsibility when things were a bit shit for us, to an extent that few young players do. Things will be rough again, lads. Character in our squad, in our young players is a good thing. He has it. He'll be a valuable squad member for us.

DoomSlayer

McTominay is getting a similar treatment to Rashford. He doesn't have the same level of talent, but I'm 100% certain Scott will be a valuable squad player for our team in the long-run and will continue to improve on his inconsistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.