5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He has a habit of closing off attackers while also giving them the opportunity to do whatever they want with the ball, it's very infuriating.

Overall, he did a decent job today but needs to be upgraded.

Augustus Gloop

Looks like I'm on my own but I thought he was poor today. Sloppy in possession, conceding soft, needless fouls, not closing players down quickly enough on the edge of the box. He's fine when he's in the centre of the pitch but the closer he gets to our box the worse he is. I can still see why Solskjaer trusts him though, I'd imagine he and Fred will be our first choice midfield for a long time now.
Ultimately your opinion is your opinion, but with the “soft, needless fouls” I thought he was so unlucky to be penalised for them. He commits these “fouls” so high up the pitch anyway would these not just essentially go down as tactical fouls?

And I thought his distribution, generally, was so intelligent.

Just my thoughts!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His passing was much improved in the first half today, it was back to what he was doing in the early part of last season where he was surprising a lot of people with his distribution. Unfortunately it started letting him down again in the second half.

The question is whether he was good in the first half because Everton was giving him space and then struggled when they stepped it up in the second half, or whether Everton took over in the second half because he started struggling? Chicken or egg situation.

laughtersassassin

He is ok. He needs to learn to pass forward cause he is honestly abysmal at it.

He barely tries it and when he does he gives it away every time. Can't have a midfielder incapable of passing imo.

Toad

He barely tries it and when he does he gives it away every time. Can't have a midfielder incapable of passing imo.
Good squad player for me, I agree with your passing comment. At one point he tried 2 forward passes in the space of 10 seconds and gave them both away. The second one leading to us having to defend.

laughtersassassin

Good squad player for me, I agree with your passing comment. At one point he tried 2 forward passes in the space of 10 seconds and gave them both away. The second one leading to us having to defend.
Yeah he did the exact same thing a few weeks ago too. After that I don't think he tried a forward pass again

Augustus Gloop

Called it.

Every player gave away silly passes today.

Did you miss Scott’s diagonals like his one to Rashford in the first half or his balls to Pogba and Shaw in the second half or do we rate players in 10-second periods?

Roboc7

He was decent enough today, Bruno and Fred made up for his limitations. Passing isn’t getting better consistently but a couple of decent ones at least today.

Kag

Called it.

Did you miss Scott’s diagonals like his one to Rashford in the first half or his balls to Pogba and Shaw in the second half or do we rate players in 10-second periods?
But McTominay has form for missing these sorts of passes; usually in our own half; usually contributing to a chance at the other end. It’s why, in spite of his obvious qualities and determination, he remains a cause for concern in a midfield like United’s. He’s far too sloppy.

The diagonals remain a bit of a red herring. The same sort of outlook convinced people that Rooney could play in midfield when he couldn’t. They look fantastic on the tele but, in all honesty, they’re an easy pass to make at that level, especially when given time on the ball. It’s also about utilising them in a way that rips open the opposition. That’s what separate your Scholes’ from your Shelvey’s.

McTominay has work to do; there’s no agenda going on here.

Devil may care

The British pundits have decided he's a crucial player for us now, he was ok, not as good as Fred and he wouldn't start in a title chasing team either, but his passing today was better than usual.

Toad

Called it.

There is nothing to call.

Scott made some good passes I agree and I am not judging him on 10 seconds (my wife does that enough), I am judging him on his consistency. This is the sort of mistake he makes on a regular basis and needs to improve.

If we look at Fernandes as an example, he gave away the ball a lot but also creates massive amount of goal scoring opportunities or key passes as it were so it’s justified that he makes the risky passes to provide us with this. McTominay doesn’t make a lot of key passes, he caused us to defend. If he makes those passes it’s not like we are clean through on goal, there is still a lot of work to do. If he fails them passes then it could easily lead to us conceding so does the risk/success balance really justify trying harder passing when you know you stand a massive chance of conceding possession?

McTomimay will be a good squad player, he has great attributes and a good mindset, if he doesn’t improve his forward passing he will need to adjust his play to suit the team better, basically by not passing forward to put it simply.

I’m not hating on McTominay like you are suggesting. I am pointing out what I see on a regular basis. I like him as a player and want him in the squad but if you see something on a regular basis then improvement need to be made and pointed out.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He’ll get absolutely slaughtered on here and elsewhere for giving the ball away twice in 30 seconds, no matter how decent he was for the rest of the game.
I know the bit you're referring to, and it annoyed me at the time, but I actually think he was really quite poor in the 2nd half. With players like him you still at least get the graft and work rate when not having the best time on the ball though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Looks like I'm on my own but I thought he was poor today. Sloppy in possession, conceding soft, needless fouls, not closing players down quickly enough on the edge of the box. He's fine when he's in the centre of the pitch but the closer he gets to our box the worse he is. I can still see why Solskjaer trusts him though, I'd imagine he and Fred will be our first choice midfield for a long time now.
I don't think you can play Fred without McTominay...and vice-versa. They're a symbiotic pairing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Really want him to be tried as RB or CB. Think he could make an excellent defender.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't think you can play Fred without McTominay...and vice-versa. They're a symbiotic pairing.
Agreed. Even if one of them has a poor performance I'd still keep playing them. I said it in another thread but you always know exactly what you're going to get when you play them and we could use that sort of consistency at the moment.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

To pass forward there needs to be passes available, its not just a one sided problem.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Agreed. Even if one of them has a poor performance I'd still keep playing them. I said it in another thread but you always know exactly what you're going to get when you play them and we could use that sort of consistency at the moment.
This is because none of them are CDM. They are both energetic CM that together provide a defensive midfielders balance.

We saw this last season - they were our best midfield partnership that could only be taken over by Matic by himself when in form and energy.

We play Fred with anyone else and that energy gets unilateral and the other side gets run through like cake.

Dante

Average bang
The British pundits have decided he's a crucial player for us now, he was ok, not as good as Fred and he wouldn't start in a title chasing team either, but his passing today was better than usual.
What's your nationality? Does it allow you to give a fair opinion about McTominay?

arthurka

Thought he was very sloppy with his passing today. But he and Fred are probably our best midfield setup.

Do you think because he’s British he’s being given fairer treatment than if not?

eire-red

On one hand, McTominay's limitations on the ball are glaring, but his graft, work rate and intensity have such a huge effect on the other hand. He can play poorly, but still offer something to the team, not something you can say about many of our players.

It's a tricky one, Pogba and VDB provide all of the creativity and subtlety that McTominay lacks, but none of the bite and energy that we often so desperately need. So what's more important?

For me, when McTominay and Fred don't play then I feel we're exposed in midfield, and by extension our defence. We could probably upgrade on McTominay, but for me he would still be an important squad member.

For example, I would be looking to buy two midfielders, a deeper one to replace Matic and a more rounded midfielder to replace Pogba. Therefore, 4 players that can play in a midfield two, and providing a solid base for Bruno to do his thing.

Devil may care

What's your nationality? Does it allow you to give a fair opinion about McTominay?
I'm English, it's pretty clear Martial gets treat different to Rashford, McTominay is treat different to Fred who is clearly a better player, Maguire is treat different to Lindelöf despite him making just as many errors, and these are just our players, I'm sure other clubs have similar situations when it comes to British media bias regarding their players. I would say my assessment of his performance today was perfectly fair, nothing I've seen from him and Fred make me believe they're starters for a team that genuinely challenges for major trophies, but they're solid squad player's.

Do you think because he’s British he’s being given fairer treatment than if not?
Yes, I think they are hyping him beyond what he is and rarely give Fred the credit he deserves.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
In a world where Jordan Henderson scratched and clawed his way to captain of a Premier League and CL team - Scott can find a way to be a decent starting player for a title chasing team.

Time is on his side.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm English, it's pretty clear Martial gets treat different to Rashford, McTominay is treat different to Fred who is clearly a better player, Maguire is treat different to Lindelöf despite him making just as many errors, and these are just our players, I'm sure other clubs have similar situations when it comes to British media bias regarding their players. I would say my assessment of his performance today was perfectly fair, nothing I've seen from him and Fred make me believe they're starters for a team that genuinely challenges for major trophies, but they're solid squad player's.

Yes, I think they are hyping him beyond what he is and rarely give Fred the credit he deserves.
Load of bollocks - everyone has been raving about Fred. Rashford is better than Martial and Maguire is better than Lindelof - has nothing to do with being British.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Not sure where this is coming from. Fred is rated by all of us as a main starter for important games. Even in the back of last season he replaced Matic in the Europa League semi final.

Rashford is rated because even in his worst games he can pull out a match winning moment and a bit more versatile among the front 3. He’s also more match fit at the moment.

load of bollocks mate.

commentators were praising Fred today. Indeed Mcmanaman said he would have been MOTM if it wasn’t for Bruno.

however, if you only listen to views that support your point of view, it will continue to be reinforced.

in terms of Martial and Rashford, it’s actually just our fans that continue to compare them, or ‘support’ one over the other.

Devil may care

In a world where Jordan Henderson scratched and clawed his way to captain of a Premier League and CL team - Scott can find a way to be a decent starting player for a title chasing team.

Time is on his side.
Liverpool get away with dog soldier midfielders because of what their fullbacks provide on the ball, we don't have that and need more from central midfield.

Load of bollocks - everyone has been raving about Fred. Rashford is better than Martial and Maguire is better than Lindelof - has nothing to do with being British.
No they haven't and you have the right to your opinion on which players are better, that was irrelevant, the point is all of them have had plenty of bad performances over the last year, difference is Martial and Lindelöf get it in the neck for their bad games, where as it's crickets from the British media when Maguire and Rashford play badly, which is equally as often.

Dante

Average bang

So by your nationalistic logic, that must mean your anti-Scottish bias makes it impossible for you to judge McTominay fairly.

Devil may care

Not sure where this is coming from. Fred is rated by all of us as a main starter for important games. Even in the back of last season he replaced Matic in the Europa League semi final.

Rashford is rated because even in his worst games he can pull out a match winning moment and a bit more versatile among the front 3. He’s also more match fit at the moment.
Im not talking about fans, I'm talking about the British pundits. Likewise with Rashford, my point wasn't about who is better when playing well, the point is Rashford has plenty of poor games for us where he's a bit of a headless chicken, but the pundits rarely ever criticize him for those games, where as Scholes, Neville and co can't wait to put the boots into Martial when he's poor.

Devil may care

So by your nationalistic logic, that must mean your anti-Scottish bias makes it impossible for you to judge McTominay fairly.
Why would him being Scottish matter to me? Not everyone is a nationalist, if I was then surely i should be hanging off Rashford and Maguire's nuts over Martial and Lindelöf, but I'm not, so there you go. It's pretty clear a lot of the England old boys are nationalist, I don't know how you can deny that.

Liverpool get away with dog soldier midfielders because of what their fullbacks provide on the ball, we don't have that and need more from central midfield.

No they haven't and you have the right to your opinion on which players are better, that was irrelevant, the point is all of them have had plenty of bad performances over the last year, difference is Martial and Lindelöf get it in the neck for their bad games, where as it's crickets from the British media when Maguire and Rashford play badly, which is equally as often.
did you miss the media and Maguire from only a few games ago?

it’s like the BBC, if your left you think it’s biased to the right, if your right you think it’s biased towards the left. You are hearing and seeing what you want to see and hear.

Devil may care

did you miss the media and Maguire from only a few games ago?

it’s like the BBC, if your left you think it’s biased to the right, if your right you think it’s biased towards the left. You are hearing and seeing what you want to see and hear.
I saw the pundits after our games, I hear the commentary during our games, they clearly skew towards British players when it comes to how they go in on a players performance.

Dante

Average bang
Why would him being Scottish matter to me? Not everyone is a nationalist, if I was then surely i should be hanging off Rashford and Maguire's nuts over Martial and Lindelöf, but I'm not, so there you go. It's pretty clear a lot of the England old boys are nationalist, I don't know how you can deny that.
For the same reason you believe it would matter to 'British pundits'...

laughtersassassin

To pass forward there needs to be passes available, its not just a one sided problem.
Yes there does but this game isn't the one to make that argument when Fred managed to find plenty of those through the lines passes

OverratedOpinion

I like the lad.

I think he is very lucky to be viewed as part of "Fred and McTominay" which reaps the rewards of us being far better whenever Fred plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.