5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

Park would easily start for us on the right if he's playing in the current squad.

And my point is that he had shown in PSV that he can take up a more attacking role if needed. The only reason he took on a more defensive role with us is because he was up against Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani.

Scott wouldn't even be good enough to get 50 appearances for us if he had to compete for a spot in that squad.
Please tell us how would Park improve an already misfiring attack. He was a great system player. Put him in our team and he would look even worse than Lingard.

simplyared

Good player to have around. Always puts in a good shift. Can put it about as well. Tall gritty midfielders are worth their weight in gold. Needs to improve a bit technically i.e his passing ability, maybe get forward more, shooting from outside the box etc. Potential is certainly there!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lots of huff and puff but really needs to work on his forward passing. Gave it away a few times trying to thread the ball through tight spaces.

He's great for tight matches where it's a bit of a scrap but not quite as effective against teams that give you no space.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Lots of huff and puff but really needs to work on his forward passing. Gave it away a few times trying to thread the ball through tight spaces.

He's great for tight matches where it's a bit of a scrap but not quite as effective against teams that give you no space.
That is the next step he has to get to now, better forward passing, there was a few occasions where the switch was on but he bottled going for it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Please tell us how would Park improve an already misfiring attack. He was a great system player. Put him in our team and he would look even worse than Lingard.
Wow, you're just 'slightly' exaggerating things there. Lingard at his best played a similar role in our squad as Park but quite obviously not as good. Park would have been easily cemented as first choice over these last few years, and it's only the rise of Greenwood last season that would have started giving him competition. The fact that Greenwood (and Martial and Rashford) has struggled at the beginning of this season means he once again would most likely have been comfortably first choice again right now.

Comparing him to McTominay and saying he would look worse than Lingard or struggle to even make our bench is just showing a huge under-estimation of Park. Was he as good as Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Nani on his good days? No. But it's not like any of our current attackers (bar Bruno) is close to that level either.

hungrywing

Park would easily start for us on the right if he's playing in the current squad.

And my point is that he had shown in PSV that he can take up a more attacking role if needed. The only reason he took on a more defensive role with us is because he was up against Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani.

Scott wouldn't even be good enough to get 50 appearances for us if he had to compete for a spot in that squad.
That too, of course, but another reason being that he was an exceptionally good tackler for an attacker (maybe due in large part to his world-class spatial awareness, anticipation and workrate - all three probably linked).

If Ronaldo for example has 100 attacking ability and 10 defensive, and Rio has 100 defensive ability and 10 attacking, Nani 85 attacking and 10 defensive and so on. And then someone like Park has 65 attacking ability and 35 defensive ability. He's nowhere near as good as any of the former in their respective strengths, but overall, he's just as good as they are across all phases of play. Maybe I'm selling him short on the 65 attacking, but one gets the idea. (This has also given me a thread idea but that's neither here nor there)

Anyways, I think that's closer to what you meant to say. Not that Park was tasked with a more defensive role JUST because he wasn't as good as those other players in attack. He was a weirdly(?) good defender.

Heck, Ole's last goal for the club came by due to a Park interception, IIRC. Blackburn or Bolton.

Also, I think there was an interview where they said that Park's knee injury had something to do with the role shift as well. But I'm not sure about that one.

In our attack pre-Bruno you're probably just about right. Post-Bruno, however, I think Park leapfrogs Lingard and goes ahead by a not inconsiderable distance.

Park was so helpful defensively - either by directly tackling or harrying opponents into bad passes or by positioning himself to cut off everything but low percentage passes - that he allowed every defensive-minded player to always have the upper hand versus their designated markee.

Park + Fred in particular would be pretty decent against especially the big teams. Win the ball back, get it to Bruno, launch counter. Rinse and repeat.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying he'd shine. I'm just saying that post-Bruno, he'd leave Lingard in the dust.

And now back to Scott. Who I think is a great squad player.

thepolice123

Wow, you're just 'slightly' exaggerating things there. Lingard at his best played a similar role in our squad as Park but quite obviously not as good. Park would have been easily cemented as first choice over these last few years, and it's only the rise of Greenwood last season that would have started giving him competition. The fact that Greenwood (and Martial and Rashford) has struggled at the beginning of this season means he once again would most likely have been comfortably first choice again right now.

Comparing him to McTominay and saying he would look worse than Lingard or struggle to even make our bench is just showing a huge under-estimation of Park. Was he as good as Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Nani on his good days? No. But it's not like any of our current attackers (bar Bruno) is close to that level either.
Our main problems in attack are breaking down teams who defend deep and a non-existent right flank, and you seriously think Park would be a starter here?

His competition is VDB, Mata, Pogba, Cavani and Greenwood for the last attacking spot in the XI. I don’t think its an underestimation of Park to say that he would have struggled to make our bench.

Matt6677

People are gonna hop on the McTominay bandwagon now but I've always been a massive fan

Zoo

Honestly that was a performance that should be remembered for years to come. And I criticise him a lot.

RooneyLegend

Amazing stuff by him. Sure, Leeds don't actually have a midfield but he did dominate it. Motm by a mile.

el3mel

That's insane man. Hands down the best and most complete midfield performance I have seen from a United midfielder since Ferige retired. I'm not joking, it's how it's.

Madness. Absolutely insane performance.

acnumber9

Absolutely outstanding. The second goal was something any top player would be proud of.

Bwuk

Makes me laugh when people on here call him talentless. Brilliant player.

Rajma

Excellent today, but he normally thrives in the games like these where there’s space with hoof and poof type of football. Hopefully his injury is a minor as we will need him over this busy period.

Bobski

Best cm performance from a Utd player in years. He murdered Leeds with his running power, confidence built and his full game showed.

That match was a showcase for all round game, he is much more than a spoiler, could be a box to box monster. Looked like a cross between Khedira and Mattaus today.

Ollie Derbyshire

Hopefully that keeps a few McT haters quiet, he gets a lot of criticism on here but he has a lot about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.