5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okey

Take a bow Scott. And more of that please. I'll be surprised if he's out injured. It didn't look like a proper groin strain. More like his crown jewels took a hit and left him with lingering discomfort. Game was ending so he could afford to come off and rest. We'll wait and see anyway...

Hoboman

He is box-to-box powerhouse, not holding midfielder or part of double pivot. Give him freedom to make attacking runs, chase and press opposition and he will continue flourish further.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think he should run forward more in games where the opponent plays like a turtle. He looks unstoppable when he runs forward, similar to Yaya Toure when he chased around his birthday cake.

simplyared

Motm by a mile today. Not just because of his two goals but his overall performance. He's so valuable to the team. Love his attitude! Wears his heart on his sleave. He was a warrior today and more than anything when he's on the pitch our opponents know they've been in a battle. Tall, srong gritty midfielders who can put it about and get you goals like he can are feckin priceless.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Those were some finishes, many strikers don't have that!

AneRu

He is box-to-box powerhouse, not holding midfielder or part of double pivot. Give him freedom to make attacking runs, chase and press opposition and he will continue flourish further.
I think he and the team could benefit more if we had a prime Michael Carrick beside him - a player capable of running games, be creative with the ball and with top notch defensive skills. That would free him a bit to press or run with the ball whilst the team wouldn't suffer creatively like we tend to do when we play him and Fred.

I think when Pogba leaves we need to ditch this experiment of an offensive 8 and play Scot as the defensive Box to Box mid alongside a cultured DM.

He was immense today and he has shown this before but I think the challenge comes when we shoehorn him as a DM. We know he can drive the ball and score a few. I hope this signals a return to form and his injury is not serious.

Reiver

What a performance. I've always believed he's capable of that. Now he needs to play like that consistently. Get in!

Alemar

Best game of his professional career, by far. 2G+1A plus monstrous gameplay.

dalriada

Never understood the agenda against Scott by some people here, which has been around since Jose brought him into the first team. He has that box to box capability and likes firing shots in from outside the box. It would be interesting to see if we use him that way again, but I suspect Leeds are a bit of a on-off team in the EPL under Bielsa and there won't be many games where he gets those opportunities.

Ekeke

Great engine and continuing to be more of a goal threat than many DMs (and especially the one playing with him most often, Fred)

I hope this isnt a one off in terms of how great he was though. Leeds really play into his and Fred's strengths. So I hope he has another game at 80% of this level in the next couple of games too against a team that isnt so open.

Zoo

Well like Ole said he has played as a striker in the youth teams and is a good finisher. He has the tools to be a top box to box midfielder.

Ranie

I absolutely love this guy. He’s improving every season and he was world class today. Good control on the ball, good forward runs, with and without the ball, and excellent finishing in the opening minutes. As usual he worked his socks off. Am I going to far if I say he could be regarded as a club legend one day in the future?

Augustus Gloop

He’s had a poor season so far but that was his best performance for us by a mile. I doubt him and Fred will ever get as much space in midfield again but they made it count.

Mctominay got to showcase his strengths today, he isn’t a holding midfielder and doubt he ever will be.
Strongly disagree he’s had a poor season. He definitely hasn’t. He’s been important for club and country.

Dan_F

Hopefully this helps to end the myth that he’s a defensive midfielder. He’s a proper box to box player. It was great to see him more confident on the ball today, hopefully he can build on that.

tjb

I think he and the team could benefit more if we had a prime Michael Carrick beside him - a player capable of running games, be creative with the ball and with top notch defensive skills. That would free him a bit to press or run with the ball whilst the team wouldn't suffer creatively like we tend to do when we play him and Fred.

I think when Pogba leaves we need to ditch this experiment of an offensive 8 and play Scot as the defensive Box to Box mid alongside a cultured DM.

He was immense today and he has shown this before but I think the challenge comes when we shoehorn him as a DM. We know he can drive the ball and score a few. I hope this signals a return to form and his injury is not serious.
Not really an experiment, we had Pogba. The problem we have is that we have to find a DM who can recycle possession at a high level, its not easy to find.

always_hoping

Probably his best game in the United shirt today, two fine goals and a great assist. Hopefully he's not out long with his groin injury.

GMoore23

This. Make Fred the sole holding midfielder as he offers feck all in the final third anyway.
Give Mctominay more freedom to bomb forward and the goals and assists will follow. He's always had an excellent finish on him.

Trequarista10

We've seen glimpses of Scott's finishing in the past, good to see him having the license to drive forward today both with the ball and without the ball.

Can he push on and become a top quality box to box midfielder?

If we found a young Matic regen to partner him with to protect the defence and dictate possession, Scott could play as a rampaging box to box player. I think Scott has been unfairly judged at times as a defensive midfielder, and although it's true he needs to improve his distribution, possession game and defensive positioning, it's also not his position. Hopefully he can put all the pieces together.

SSSSnake

I always questioned who would partner Fred in the middle and going on this performance it’s Scotty all day long. Those driving runs through midfield are something we lack and was great to see him get on the goal sheet twice! Let’s hope he can keep this consistency going. Well played.

I always questioned who would partner Fred in the middle and going on this performance it’s Scotty all day long. Those driving runs through midfield are something we lack and was great to see him get on the goal sheet twice! Let’s hope he can keep this consistency going. Well played.
not just based on today, but think the question very soon will be who partners McT.

Zen86

Those surging runs really overwhelmed Leeds today. If he can keep those up, he could be the midfielder we’ve been looking for. He has the potential to be a brilliant box-to-box midfielder.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Undoubtedly his best career performance today. Helped out by the fact that Leeds left enormous spaces, but i hope that he takes some confidence from this and realises just how powerful a runner he can be when he wants to be. My feeling has long been that we hadn't yet since half the potential of this player and hopefully he can kick on from this.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has calmly bossed games before in his United career but never to this extent. Actually the best player on the pitch today. I have to say that him being able to do that surprised me more than it should. He has come such a long way.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If McT can maintain this level of intensity and skill, McFred is the perfect combination, don’t really even need a new CDM. But it’s a big IF that both can maintain this level.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Captain without the armband. I love that him and Bruno are in the heart of the team. We’ve had no leaders for too long

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Comfortably his best game for us. Was some performance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Remember how he played
vs Barcelona
vs Spurs
vs City
vs PSG

And then think before you say he's a limited squad player.
Man, I still haven't forgot how solid he was against Chelsea that time with Jose. For a DM to have had that effect is quite something. He did regress a bit in terms of performances, for a while at least, but he's often been underrated on here.

Green_Red

Showed what he can do today. Good to see because he put in a few flat games in the early part of the season. Quality today in the middle. Great interview at the end too.

The United

What I was impressed with him in that game was that how he carried the ball all the way to 6 yard box.

I think he should do that more. He has strength and seems to have good control on the ball. Having someone carried the ball from deep would open a lot of spaces up for our forwards and makes Bruno's job easier.

Mindhunter

He has been brilliant today. Really happy for him as he deserves all the praise he is getting. He was up for it and gave 120% today - making runs from one end of the pitch to the other and getting on the end of through balls, dribbling past players, smashing the ball into the net.

He tends to hide for periods in games and is a safety first player in general but today he was either looking to release a runner or to run with the ball and dribble past players. He has been clearly instructed to do so today and given the license to get into the box. I hope this is a marker in his career and he gets himself up a level or two from here. That would be truly amazing for a homegrown player to be a mainstay of our midfield for the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.