5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Probably his best non scoring game. Usually not our midfielder who gets on the ball the most. Our most touches with 58 and 2nd most passes behind Bruno with 41

Had some good moments too, a nice turn a few dribbles and some ball winning

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good game today, every player to a man was very good.

Sylar

He's very composed when pressed, although he didn't have a great second part of that first half. Much much better second half and as his passing was so good as he dropped a few times you could see it was upsetting city and their attempts at pressing high up

McDominate

Brad2020

Solid on his defensive role today, acted like a brick wall for City, good checking and blocking.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The man marking job he did on Gundogan today was terrific, well done Scott.

Adamsk7

Played great today. If his passing was just 10% crisper and more adventurous he’d be one of the best midfielders about. Still plenty of time to develop further

Aouer-United

Mctominay, Fred, Rashford and AWB were really not good today, especially on the ball. If we didn't take chances and they did. These players would be viewed differently.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Continues to remind me of Darren Fletcher and how he started his United career. Not quite the talent of other midfielders but works hard in midfield, makes runs into the box at times, eventually became a really important player in big games who could be relied upon.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Huge fan as his performance threads probably show, and today I thought he was great again.

Did seem to be struggling physically after the 1st 10 minutes... every time there was a break in play he was panting with his hands on his knees. Hope he is OK!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Mctominay, Fred, Rashford and AWB were really not good today, especially on the ball. If we didn't take chances and they did. These players would be viewed differently.
I thought he was superb defensively, worked his balls off and put lots of pressure on City players at the right time. Made some big blocks on shots, intercepted a few balls, got in some important tackles and his pressing created ball winning opportunities for his team mates. The one thing that let him down badly was his passing. If he can improve his passing quality over time he has a chance to become a very good midfielder.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've been skeptical of him but he had a good game today. And while I've said that Fred has more ability on the ball than him, that couldn't be further from the truth yesterday. Fred was the one giving it away with every touch, and Mctominay was a lot more competent

Brightonian

Always takes around two games to play himself back into form after returning from injury and it seems he's pretty much done that. Noticeably better second half than first. Should be as saucy as ever from here.

marktan

Love him. One of he first names on the team for me.

If Scotland hadn't qualified for the Euros I would've wished for him to spend 6 hours every day in the summer just pinging the ball about practising his passing. Once he gets that to a higher standard he'll be some player.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I find it strange that such a good dribbler can be a poor passer. It's really the only thing missing for him to be a world class box to box player.

Our best midfielder yesterday because of his great defending, but maybe I'm taking Bruno's penalty taking ability for granted with that statement.

romufc

I have hope his passing will improve. We have seen him improve his dribbling and positioning over the course of the season.

With passing, I feel as if the whole team lacking passing ability not just McTominay. The number of times AWB, James, Bruno, Rashford, Fred, McTominay give the ball away is not good enough.

There must be something that can be done to improve the passing as a whole.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Just a typical McTominay performance in a big game - he's a proper leader out there in those types of games. Him and Pogba were looking like building a solid partnership prior to the latter's injury - easily our best pairing at the moment

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I thought his progressive play (movement, dribbling, passing) as a whole was very good yesterday. The only misplaced pass I remember was from the edge of the area towards the left wing, and it was more that the recipient was flat footed and the ball was intercepted. Could be wrong though!

RuudTom83

Both Scott and Fred can compete with anyone in the league on their day...it's just constancy doing it every week that they lack, which is still a criticism you can label at most players in the squad tbf.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I have hope his passing will improve. We have seen him improve his dribbling and positioning over the course of the season.

With passing, I feel as if the whole team lacking passing ability not just McTominay. The number of times AWB, James, Bruno, Rashford, Fred, McTominay give the ball away is not good enough.

There must be something that can be done to improve the passing as a whole.
From my experience it's very rare for a player to improve certain abilities as a senior player, and passing is one of them. Hope he proves me wrong. His touch is good, so who knows.

I don't think those are good comparisons to make. Most of those are attacking players that (should) take quite a bit more risk. I'll give you Fred and AWB.

Matt851

Needs to improve his passing but undoubtedly a better player than fred. His ability to take the ball in tight spaces is really good which helps against the likes of city

romufc

From my experience it's very rare for a player to improve certain abilities as a senior player, and passing is one of them. Hope he proves me wrong. His touch is good, so who knows.

I don't think those are good comparisons to make. Most of those are attacking players that (should) take quite a bit more risk. I'll give you Fred and AWB.
But when you struggle to get the ball to Rashford and Bruno, when they get it they force it which makes it harder for the team.

We need a midfielder who can pass well.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Needs to improve his passing but undoubtedly a better player than fred. His ability to take the ball in tight spaces is really good which helps against the likes of city
How is he undoubtedly better player than Fred? He covers less ground wins less ball with same number of mistakes, playing basic passes otherwise and yet he´s udoubtedly better player than Fred and praised to no end like he won it for us while offered nothing but shocking passing keeping us under pressure for 80 minutes. I am just baffled how biased or stupid people can be here. Really rather fans of McTominay than Man United. And I am not saying fred had a good game passing wise, certainly his mistakes are exagerrated and noone of his fans here notice how pooor passe McTominay way yesterday, really. When I see how much Fred helps off the ball to win the ball back and force players to make mistake and regain possession it is a big difference between him and McTominay alone.

Thanks to him we won some dangerous counters yesterday but noone remembers that because McTominay was better before the game started. Really sad to see people having either such low level of understandign of the game or extreme bias towards some players.

youmeletsfly

If he can deliver that week in week out and improve his passing, he has a place in this team.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
How is he undoubtedly better player than Fred? He covers less ground wins less ball with same number of mistakes, playing basic passes otherwise and yet he´s udoubtedly better player than Fred and praised to no end like he won it for us while offered nothing but shocking passing keeping us under pressure for 80 minutes. I am just baffled how biased or stupid people can be here. Really rather fans of McTominay than Man United. And I am not saying fred had a good game passing wise, certainly his mistakes are exagerrated and noone of his fans here notice how pooor passe McTominay way yesterday, really. When I see how much Fred helps off the ball to win the ball back and force players to make mistake and regain possession it is a big difference between him and McTominay alone.

Thanks to him we won some dangerous counters yesterday but noone remembers that because McTominay was better before the game started. Really sad to see people having either such low level of understandign of the game or extreme bias towards some players.
Ergo "Anyone that disagrees with me is a moron".

They're both shit passer. It's true that Fred wins more balls (more interceptions and recoveries), but McTominay is stronger in duels, better in the air and is a goal threat. For people that prefer McTominay, the latter outweighs the former.

He's also a bit younger and therefore probably more likely to improve.
I'm sure there's some favouritism, he's homegrown after all.

If you want to make the case that Fred's endless stamina outweighs McTominay's strengths or that the stats are misleading, go for it.

Augustus Gloop

For the amount of criticism he gets for his passing, I thought it was exceptional this evening. Was let down by some poor poor performances around him.

MU655

I thought he was dreadful today. Very lucky not to be sent off for the freekick; that was a definite second yellow.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
On his own today in the middle. Did his best.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Interesting how this thread is yet again quiet. He really is a player out of his depth. He's a Stoke player who is so lucky for timing and Mourinho liking tall strong players with attitude to give him a chance while we had no midfielders. And fair play to the lad he stepped up, however if he went to some average team in the championsship he wouldn't lift them one bit. He's so average and pretty shocking at some elemtens of the game too.

Can't cover the ground, is slowto show up fotthe ball and first few meters are key in football, while his positioning and sense of danger is very poor, can't press properly due to that - for that alone he should never play deep for us, yet people think that he's strong he can play as a DM but he's bypassed so often fails to close down players quickly enough.

Can't pass to save his life, shocking to see some posters to praise him for some of the basic elements of every AVERAGE midfielder let alone MUFC player, he either passes two meters next to him or loses the ball. Again some dangerous counters from that or from a lose touch. His dribbling is also very hit and miss and that's his biggest strength.

Questionable at set pieces, lost tracking his man and can't use of his height.

If we accept him starting as many games for us as he does currently, we will never ever be any close to getting back to the best club in the world what we should be no fecking top4 team with english lads who work hard enough bullshite. Only excuse for him is that he had Matic next to him today who was probably even worse, which is something to say.

Can't imagine conceding so many chances and control of the game to poor Milan side without their best players with a proper midfield

Roboc7

After a really good second half against City he was really poor tonight and very lucky not be sent off. Too often he just isn’t good enough and tonight he looked out of his depth.

Zoo

Very lucky not to get a second yellow. Poor game but wasn’t helped playing next to Matic.

Idxomer

The team is never controlling any midfield with him playing and as long as Ole has a hard-on for players like him, the football will remain awful and he can forget about winning any trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.