Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

God he was unfit wasn't he? :lol:

24 Prem appearances was the highest he managed.

Silvestre and McClair for sure got more than McTominay though.
Silvestre turned down a host of big clubs before signing for us (Liverpool included, Houllier actually called him in an effort to sign him) and let's not forget he scored twice against Liverpool in Rio Ferdinand's return from his ban in a 2-1 win against them. Club legend haha. I jest

Robbie Boy

Goals scored? Mctomminay 7 Rice 1

Why is that left off? Because it makes Rice look bad most likely.

Declan Rice for 70, 80m would be pure insanity.
It would be a horrible piece of business. I really wish Chelsea had of sanctioned the Rice transfer for Lampard. Now I have to live in fear that we will bid for him anytime his thread is bumped.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Goals scored? Mctomminay 7 Rice 1

Why is that left off? Because it makes Rice look bad most likely.

Declan Rice for 70, 80m would be pure insanity.
Because the question is not about who's better but about '' Does McTominay actually win the ball well? ''

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Because the question is not about who's better but about '' Does McTominay actually win the ball well? ''
Seems like he's not that much different yet scores way more goals.

Jesse Lingard has looked like Maradonna playing for West Spam. Remember that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Seems like he's not that much different yet scores way more goals.

I'm not sure how an attacking midfielder like Jesse can be viewed the same way as defensive midfielder like Rice. I think you have some issue with people who mentioned Rice mate. You need to get rid that habit.

I'm using Rice as a barometer of DM that wins tackles and conceded less fouls because the argument is to know whether McTominay can actually win the ball well. Rice's fouls conceded is 0.7 per 90 minutes while McTominay is 2.1. You don't want your DM to give lot of free kicks away especially in dangerous area. This concludes McTominay is not DM but more box to box because he conceded lot of fouls and score goals.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm not sure how an attacking midfielder like Jesse can be viewed the same way as defensive midfielder like Rice. I think you have some issue with people who mentioned Rice mate. You need to get rid that habit.

I'm using Rice as a barometer of DM that wins tackles and conceded less fouls because the argument is to know whether McTominay can actually win the ball well. Rice's fouls conceded is 0.7 per 90 minutes while McTominay is 2.1. You don't want your DM to give lot of free kicks away especially in dangerous area. This concludes McTominay is not DM but more box to box because he conceded lot of fouls and score goals.
He's a decent player. Didn't say I didn't rate him.

He's not an 80m pound player though. Don't think he's actually much better than what we have.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's a decent player. Didn't say I didn't rate him.

He's not an 80m pound player though. Don't think he's actually much better than what we have.
But that's not the discussion. The discussion is about '' Does McTominay actually win the ball well? ''
And if you compare McT to other DM like Rice for example, McT does not win the ball well.

Do you even read? :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But that's not the discussion. The discussion is about '' Does McTominay actually win the ball well? ''
And if you compare McT to other DM like Rice for example, McT does not win the ball well.

Do you even read? :lol:
He does though. Scott Mctomminay is a perfectly decent player. As is Rice. Mctomminay definitely has more strings to his bow too.

Our fans always rate players from lesser clubs. Remember when I was told how amazing Morgan Schneiderlin was. Turned out he wasn't that great.

No way would I spend 70m or 80m on a player who is at best slightly better than what we have.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He does though. Scott Mctomminay is a perfectly decent player. As is Rice. Mctomminay definitely has more strings to his bow too.

Our fans always rate players from lesser clubs. Remember when I was told how amazing Morgan Schneiderlin was. Turned out he wasn't that great.

No way would I spend 70m or 80m on a player who is at best slightly better than what we have.
Rice's fouls conceded is 0.7 per 90 minutes while McTominay is 2.1. 2.1 fouls per 90 minutes is lot of fouls means he doesn't win the ball well compared to DM.

Schneiderlin is irrelevant to the discussion and the thread.

Spending 70m or 80m on a player is irrelevant to the discussion and the thread.

You need to chill mate.

Lebo

Fred and McT remind me of Gattuso and Ambrosini. Players like that are valuable especially in big games. same as our own Darren Fletcher. Rice winning the ball back better doesn’t say much because he does it in a completely different setup.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

Fernadinho conceeds a lot of fouls but he is louded as the master of tactical fouls on here by the cafe, most of McT fouls could be classed as tactical fouls on the few occasions attackers get pass him, it's hugely sensible to bring an attacking player down and then regroup rather than letting him go, then try to chase back a dagerous situation as it develops.
If there is a way to categorize it into necessary or unnecessary fouls that would be good, because stats can't show you all that unless you're paying attention to the game.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Fred and McT remind me of Gattuso and Ambrosini. Players like that are valuable especially in big games. same as our own Darren Fletcher. Rice winning the ball back better doesn’t say much because he does it in a completely different setup.
Exactly my thoughts too, Most teams set up against us to defend and as a result our Midfielder have to learn the dark art of tactical fouls, which I've been Impressed by Mcfred not letting teams get a direct run on our CBs which we can all agree are not the fastest.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fernadinho conceeds a lot of fouls but he is louded as the master of tactical fouls on here by the cafe, most of McT fouls could be classed as tactical fouls on the few occasions attackers get pass him, it's hugely sensible to bring an attacking player down and then regroup rather than letting him go, then try to chase back a dagerous situation as it develops.
If there is a way to categorize it into necessary or unnecessary fouls that would be good, because stats can't show you all that unless you're paying attention to the game.
The main argument is about whether McTominay can win the ball well.

RobertoBaggio99

So Lingard was poor while at United with McTominay behind him but plays like Maradona at West Ham with Rice behind him, and this is an argument against Rice, how?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So Lingard was poor while at United with McTominay behind him but plays like Maradona at West Ham with Rice behind him, and this is an argument against Rice, how?
Yeah absolutely, Lingard looks like a good player because of a limited DM, nothing to do with his own performance level :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He also plays like Maradona with Noble behind him. Shall we sign Noble too?

ivaldo

Comparing him to Rice is a strange one. Their respective teams play very differently, and therefore are asked to fulfill different roles. Which is why McTominay scores more goals, plays more passes etc. If he was tasked to play in a more reserved manner, to sit deep and shield the defense more, then I'm sure we'd see stats similar to Rice.

Ekeke

https://gyazo.com/f7efc75cb35382b3ec214fd299a1b08f

What McTom is and isnt.

We can obviously expect some progression over the years. But for now he's a good player to have in the squad as one of the better things he does is clear the ball using his height. And we're weak in this area even with at least 1 if not 2 of our DMs being quite good in the air (McTom + Pogba, or swap in Matic for one) and he can get forward to be a goal threat doing particularly well in that respect.

We can also see that he's okay at taking up positions for intercepting, but 91 percentile for blocking which is standing in the way of the path of the ball. So he's doing well with blocking passing lanes and blocking some shots, giving some protection to the backline.

Other than that he's quite a standard general purpose CM who can run up and down the pitch

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Comparing him to Rice is a strange one. Their respective teams play very differently, and therefore are asked to fulfill different roles. Which is why McTominay scores more goals, plays more passes etc. If he was tasked to play in a more reserved manner, to sit deep and shield the defense more, then I'm sure we'd see stats similar to Rice.
Of course it is strange to you, because I was never comparing them as player like for like

I'm only using Rice as measurement of whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. I even made statement in my post that McTominay's defensive ability is more suitable as box to box while Rice is more suitable as DM.

ivaldo

Of course it is strange, because I was never comparing them.

I'm only using Rice as measurement of whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. I'm not comparing them as player like for like. I even made statement in my post that McTominay's defensive ability is more suitable as box to box while Rice is more suitable as DM.
Well yes, you are quite literally comparing them. You're using a comparison matrix to compare McTominay's defensive contribution to Rice's. :lol:

Rice's role is far more reserved than McTominay's, so naturally, he's going to have better stats in some areas and worse stats in others.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well yes, you are quite literally comparing them. You're using a comparison matrix to compare McTominay's defensive contribution to Rice's. :lol:

Rice's role is far more reserved than McTominay's, so naturally, he's going to have better stats in some areas and worse stats in others.
Forget about other stats because I made it last week not this week despite I posted it this week. I'm just lazy to re-create it again.

So I'm going to repeat this again, a poster on previous page asked whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. Thus, I posted that, by using Rice as measurement to show that McT does not win the ball well enough.

ivaldo

Forget about other stats because I made it last week not this week despite I posted it this week. I'm just lazy to re-create it again.

So I'm going to repeat this again, a poster on previous page asked whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. Thus, I posted that, by using Rice as measurement to show that McT does not win the ball well enough.
You are COMPARING McTominay's defensive contribution to Rice's. Therefore, you're making a COMPARISON.

So I'll repeat my point again, you're COMPARING the defensive contribution of someone playing as a box to box midfielder with one playing in a more reserved, defensive midfielder role. It's unreasonable to make that comparison when one of them is tasked with doing far more offensively, and is given more licence to take risks in a team that has comfortably more possession game to game. Surely you can see how flawed that is as a barometer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You are COMPARING McTominay's defensive contribution to Rice's. Therefore, you're making a COMPARISON.

So I'll repeat my point again, you're COMPARING the defensive contribution of someone playing as a box to box midfielder with one playing in a more reserved, defensive midfielder role. It's unreasonable to make that comparison when one of them is tasked with doing far more offensively, and is given more licence to take risks in a team that has comfortably more possession game to game.
Okay if it makes you calm down and happy. Not like it is relevant to me because it doesn't change the point. The point of the discussion wasn't about who's the better player, the discussion was about whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. :lol:

ivaldo

Okay if it makes you calm down and happy. Not like it is relevant to me because it doesn't change the point that the discussion wasn't about who's the better player, the discussion was about whether McTominay actually win the ball well or no. :lol:
I'm the second person you've told to chill on this very page for simply disagreeing with you. What an odd defense mechanism. :lol:

'I'm not comparing his stats with another but I'll use a comparison matrix to compare his stats with a player I'm not comparing him with.' As you were...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm the second person you've told to chill on this very page for simply disagreeing with you. What an odd defense mechanism. :lol:

'I'm not comparing his stats with another but I'll use a comparison matrix to compare his stats with a player I'm not comparing him with.' As you were...
Since you refuse to listen so what do you want me to say to make you chill and happy? :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And that's the hattrick! All on one page, as well. Impressive.

All the while arguing that measuring a players stats against another player is not making a comparison...
:lol: I already told you before okay mate you can call it comparison. What else do you want me to say until you are happy and chill?

Idxomer

Sorry but you can't be a United midfielder and not try to play Cavani there at the end.

Such a limited midfielder.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Every commentator/pundit seems to think he's had a brilliant season. He's painfully average on and off the ball. Fred for his many shortcomings at least tries to get on the ball and keep it moving. McTominay offers so little.

Zoo

He doesn’t get involved enough. Shows glimpses of what he could be but those are rare occasions, the rest of the time you’re left wondering what exactly he brings to the table.

UncleBob

Every commentator/pundit seems to think he's had a brilliant season. He's painfully average on and off the ball. Fred for his many shortcomings at least tries to get on the ball and keep it moving. McTominay offers so little.
I wish he tried less, tbh

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's clearly low on confidence, takes way too many touches, avoiding the risk, playing it simple. Both him and Fred are looking poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.