Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Starts in a back three for Scotland. Excuse my ignorance but is this a first for the national side?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This is his second outing as a CB.
Managers just seem to love putting him further and further away from goal.
He was a damn forward for the u18's!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is his second outing as a CB.
Managers just seem to love putting him further and further away from goal.
He was a damn forward for the u18's!
He seems to be falling between a couple of stools. He's got a very good shot on him but is not creative enough to play further up the pitch, lacks the passing and reading of the game to excel at CDM and now Scotland are trying him at the back. He doesn't seem to have nailed down a role in the team yet.

Augustus Gloop

Thought he was class tonight. His positioning was so much better. Some fantastic balls between the lines from RCB as well. People will criticise and say he missed an easy header but he remedied that with a penalty in the shootout at the end!

Enfant terrible

Not bad at all, a little bit passive for my taste but I think that was due to a weak opponent.
Some very nice through balls though. Very aware of his positioning.

I look forward for the match with Serbia. I am curious to see his output as a CB versus a significantly stronger opponent.

Pav1878

Interesting to see him as a CB.

Are there any decent CBs in the championship we can sign by the domestic deadline?

Mr PG

Calm down guys. Teden Mengi will be better than Upamecano. Kid's got all the tools. Blistering quick, better on the ball than any other CB I can recall and he's aggressive like Bailly but controlled aggression.

Foxbatt

Calm down guys. Teden Mengi will be better than Upamecano. Kid's got all the tools. Blistering quick, better on the ball than any other CB I can recall and he's aggressive like Bailly but controlled aggression.
I hope he is not suicidal like Bailly and does not switch off like him.

GazTheLegend

McTominay at centre back is an interesting experiment and looks to be working for Scotland. To be fair he's too good to not be in the first eleven there but he is NOT as good as McGinn or Gilmore. Scotland randomly being stacked with CL quality midfielders coming through and fairly shite centre backs means that was always a possibility but can we say we are doing any better at the back? He'd work in a 3 for sure.

Bwuk

McTominay at centre back is an interesting experiment and looks to be working for Scotland. To be fair he's too good to not be in the first eleven there but he is NOT as good as McGinn or Gilmore. Scotland randomly being stacked with CL quality midfielders coming through and fairly shite centre backs means that was always a possibility but can we say we are doing any better at the back? He'd work in a 3 for sure.
Gilmour doesn't get a game for Scotland, and McGinn plays at #10 for Scotland.

Not comparable at all. He's done well the last two games at CB for Scotland. Poor opposition though.

GazTheLegend

Gilmour doesn't get a game for Scotland, and McGinn plays at #10 for Scotland.

Not comparable at all. He's done well the last two games at CB for Scotland. Poor opposition though.
Who is it in the centre of the park then? Think I remember it being Christie, isn't it? Not gonna lie didn't watch the last two games but Christie is another good player

Bwuk

Who is it in the centre of the park then? Think I remember it being Christie, isn't it? Not gonna lie didn't watch the last two games but Christie is another good player
It was 3-4-1-2, first game was McGregor & Jack, the second was Fleck & McLean. McGinn played at 10 in both. Christie was out with COVID.

Bestietom

Him and Fred together are a very good midfield. I hope we get to see more of the partnership going forward.

Won't mind seeing a 4-2-2-2 formation with a double pivot of Mctominay and Fred with pogba and bruno axis in front of them as providers.

Add a couple of attacking full backs and we may have an alternate working system.
Against Newcastle I would like to see this system tried with Rashford and Greenwood as front 2. But Fred and VdB instead of McTominay.

Bwuk

Another good performance at CB vs better opposition.

Bwuk

Maybe he’ll be an option at CB this season? It’s not like the bar for our CBs is high...
Couldn’t do any worse than the current lot at the moment, but it’s a world of difference between playing CB in a deep back 3 against poor international sides vs playing in high back 2 vs premier league sides.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's doing well but take into account that he's playing as a 3rd CB in a heavily defensive set-up.

Dante

Average bang
Started as a defender in the last 5 internationals, with Scotland only conceding 2 goals in that run.

He's a not a CB in a back 4. But in a back 3 where his job is to press aggressively, and dribble the ball out of the back... he'd very good, imo.

Shaw-Maguire-McTominay

That's actually quite a progressive back line that should also be able to hold its own defensively. I'd fancy it to be more secure than Maguire plus Bailly/Lindelof.

Champagne Football

Switching to a back 3 might be Ole's best bet going forward in tougher games, even if it means a more defensive approach.

..Scott-Maguire-Lindelof
WanB--Matic-VDB---Telles
..............Bruno
....Greenwood...Rashford

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I feel Mctomminay can play as a CB, I feel Matic would be better in a back 3 than Mctomminay.

I dont see what the benefit of playing Mctomminay there is over Matic.

If Matic plays in a back 3 then it frees up that extra centre midfielders space for Mctomminay or Fred.

Bwuk

Whilst I feel Mctomminay can play as a CB, I feel Matic would be better in a back 3 than Mctomminay.

If Matic plays in a back 3 then it frees up that extra centre midfielders space for Mctomminay or Fred.
Matic and Maguire in the same defence is far too slow, we couldn’t play any sort of high line.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

Pace

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do we need pace in a maximum of a 5 man defence?

You & @Bwuk are probably right but I think the quantity can cover the problem personally.

I dont see any difference between Lindelof & Maguire in a 4 man defence with Matic playing in front to them all playing in a 5 man defence. It actually makes Matic come out in to CDM positions rather than having to fall back in to CB positions.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Do we need pace in a maximum of a 5 man defence?

You & @Bwuk are probably right but I think the quantity can cover the problem personally.

I dont see any difference between Lindelof & Maguire in a 4 man defence with Matic playing in front to them all playing in a 5 man defence. It actually makes Matic come out in to CDM positions rather than having to fall back in to CB positions.
I think as football becomes more and more fluid, the "numbers" in a formation matter less and less. Scott, whether or not he plays in a back 3, or a midfield 3 will contribute to all 3 phases of play, and his mobility is a definite advantage over Matic, his aerial ability is a definite advantage over the likes of Shaw, Lindelof, Fred and the likes.

Of course the above mentioned have advantages over Scott, but his physicality is definitely a huge plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.