Squad Number: #39
Contract until: 30.06.2025
Contract option: Club option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Jun 23, 2020
Outfitter: Nike​

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's got a good attitude and works really hard, but if we're going to ever get back to the top he's not really the kind of player we can afford to be carrying. I see Nicky Butt and Darren Fletcher comparisons often, but on the ball he's pretty far off both if I'm honest. He turns 24 in December, so really should be entering his prime now. If he doesn't show good improvement on the ball this season I'd be tempted to cash in. He's the type of player teams like West Ham & Newcastle would be all over, and we could get a good £25-30m considering he's British. We need to show a little less sentiment with our academy players and get more ruthless if we are going to seriously challenge the likes of Liverpool and City.

mewnew11

He's got a good attitude and works really hard, but if we're going to ever get back to the top he's not really the kind of player we can afford to be carrying. I see Nicky Butt and Darren Fletcher comparisons often, but on the ball he's pretty far off both if I'm honest. He turns 24 in December, so really should be entering his prime now. If he doesn't show good improvement on the ball this season I'd be tempted to cash in. He's the type of player teams like West Ham & Newcastle would be all over, and we could get a good £25-30m considering he's British. We need to show a little less sentiment with our academy players and get more ruthless if we are going to seriously challenge the likes of Liverpool and City.
Scott is brilliant. Has qualities and fight which we require at the middle of the park. He will improve and start bossing games soon. You have got to give people chances and time to develop. Fred is a prime example of how players develop with time and confidence.

We need all the Scott's and Fred's in the squad to win and challenge for title. Sir Alex kept knew the importance of the Fletcher's and the parks and hence went

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Well, this was true for Fletcher and Butt, as well.

And I don’t think Butt was better on the ball than McTominay is now, to be honest. I started watching United in 2003, for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is actually good in tight spaces and has a nice touch and we all know the work rate and tackling and decent goal threat.

But his passing is pretty shit. Needs to improve big time.

Still good to have around and if he improves he can start ahead of Fred.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Want to see who we sign. He has his work cut out in getting regular games.
I prefer him playing against top teams where we sit back. He has tremendous energy getting round the pitch. He's one of those midfielders I think the team struggles when he sees a lot of the ball.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
People forget how instrumental he was in when the chips were down around mid season. Same applies to Fred. I like them a lot and will be happy to have them here as 20-30 starts a season reliable squad players.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

And I don’t think Butt was better on the ball than McTominay is now, to be honest. I started watching United in 2003, for what it’s worth.
Butt was pretty washed by 03, I think we sold him a year later? He was very tidy from about 97-02. Was arguably England’s best player at the 2002 World Cup. He actually kept Scholes out the side for a bit when they were first breaking through. In his prime was definitely better on the ball, especially his passing. Scott’s passing & control often let him down, despite sometimes looking fantastic at both, sometimes he’ll spray the ball 50 yards perfectly or take down a ball from space, other times (more often) he can’t control basic balls & will misplace 5-10 yard passes.

We’ll see how he develops, I’m not completely sold on him like the majority on here, and I am unbiased about our academy players or British players, unlike most United fans. Every player has to be good enough, no time for sentiment.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Want to see who we sign. He has his work cut out in getting regular games.
I prefer him playing against top teams where we sit back. He has tremendous energy getting round the pitch. He's one of those midfielders I think the team struggles when he sees a lot of the ball.
Midfielder who struggles with the ball. Enough said for me. Good thing that now he is 6th in packing order so he will not get many minutes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Saw some recent pictures of him training. Physically he looks in great shape.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Excellent when we don't have the ball, against better side, as his attributes are well needed. But when we have the ball, we don't have much space I would rather have Matic to balance the team for now.

I still hope he will improve in that aspect as he's clearly a big game player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He has a role to play for sure. Over a long season, there will be games where he will excel. Over the years I’ve seen us win big games with the likes of Phil Neville the MOTM in midfield.

ZupZup

Playing centre back this evening for Scotland on the right side of a back 3... could be interesting.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
[
Playing centre back this evening for Scotland on the right side of a back 3... could be interesting.
I don't rate Neville as a pundit but regarding this i agree with him. He said two years ago that he sees McT as central defender

Bwuk

Wouldn’t look into tonight’s performance at all, Clarke’s trying too hard to accommodate Tierney and Robertson.

He should be starting for Scotland in midfield next to McGinn, with Gilmour looking to break into that.

3 at the back with McTominay, Tierney and McKenna was stupid.

Bwuk

So was he shite then? What a surprise.
Don’t think he was shite the entire team didn’t have a clue.

Clarkes been hopeless for Scotland. Tries to shoehorn players in, and too often tries to play Old Firm players.

MileStolar

The thing with Scott and Fred is that their best games came in some big matches and also when they had continuity. Unfortunately I can't see him or Fred hitting the same levels as they did in season behind us simply because their game time will be limited and they are unlikely to string few games in a row.

MrBrightside1989

I like him as a player alot and want to see him develop more but do feel like he will need more game time than he will get. Just can't see him playing ahead of VdB, Matic, Pogba, Fred... I hope I'm wrong and he kicks on big style.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The thing with Scott and Fred is that their best games came in some big matches and also when they had continuity. Unfortunately I can't see him or Fred hitting the same levels as they did in season behind us simply because their game time will be limited and they are unlikely to string few games in a row.
Fred literally had one of his best game for us against Sevilla and that came without a run of games. Fred doesn't have much to worry about given his competition will be Matic and there is even a chance that Ole might start the season with him instead of Matic. Either ways even if Matic start the season as first choice, given his age and the need to rotate him, Fred will see plenty of game time.

McTominay is the one who will struggle to see game time due to having all of Pogba, VDB ahead of him. Had he managed to show that he'd be able to play in that deeper role when Ole desperately tried him there, he could have gotten a chance to see more game time, if not claim that spot into the starting line up. But after the experiment failed, Ole tried Fred and he showed Ole something promising in the semi final and was even picked in the final ahead of Matic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
:eek:
Fred literally had one of his best game for us against Sevilla and that came without a run of games. Fred doesn't have much to worry about given his competition will be Matic and there is even a chance that Ole might start the season with him instead of Matic. Either ways even if Matic start the season as first choice, given his age and the need to rotate him, Fred will see plenty of game time.

McTominay is the one who will struggle to see game time due to having all of Pogba, VDB ahead of him. Had he managed to show that he'd be able to play in that deeper role when Ole desperately tried him there, he could have gotten a chance to see more game time, if not claim that spot into the starting line up. But after the experiment failed, Ole tried Fred and he showed Ole something promising in the semi final and was even picked in the final ahead of Matic.
We were in final? :eek:

marktan

Playing him at CB just because he's big is madness. His best attributes are his ability to get up and down, break up play, and until he stopped playing also pick decent passes and the occasional goal. He was a fairly technical player in the youth team, he's still young and he needs regular minutes to develop. It'll be a shame if by signing VDB Scott gets less playing time, because there's a top player there but he needs minutes. He was one of our most important players for a stretch last season.

TheRedHearted

He’s gonna be learning from Bruno even more and with all the cup games he’ll be fine. Also when a big CL match comes up he may see a start in the premier league to rest other players. He’ll be fine and I’m sure he’ll be happy to play his part in an exciting season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Anyone watched him play today? He played as cb for Scotland.
I didn't watch the match but did he play as a CB in a 2 man partnership oras a CB in a back 3 almost like a CB/CDM hybrid player?

Bwuk

I didn't watch the match but did he play as a CB in a 2 man partnership oras a CB in a back 3 almost like a CB/CDM hybrid player?
Back 3.

Marshall
McTominay - McKenna - Tierney
Forrest - Jack - McGregor - Robertson
McGinn - Christie
Dykes​

That was the team.

MileStolar

He’s gonna be learning from Bruno even more and with all the cup games he’ll be fine. Also when a big CL match comes up he may see a start in the premier league to rest other players. He’ll be fine and I’m sure he’ll be happy to play his part in an exciting season.
I like him as a player but I can't see him having enough play time to play himself into some sort of form. Plus when the big game comes we have a better chance of winning it if we play Fred & Scott, but there is no way Pogba sits out a big game just for the sake of tactics and it might come back to bite us.
Also VDB seems to possess qualities similar to Scott's and improves on them even, so I can't see Scotty playing more or improving on this past season. Makes me sad cuz lad is a proper fighter and a leader.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Back 3.

Marshall
McTominay - McKenna - Tierney
Forrest - Jack - McGregor - Robertson
McGinn - Christie
Dykes​

That was the team.
It’s crazy they don’t play him in midfield, I would have thought he would have been their best player.

yan man utd

Sorry but no. Butt was an outstanding midfielder who held his own against any opposition. Fergie sold Ince to play him alongside Keane and famously said that Butt and Keane was as good as any other central midfield in the league.

he shone in Europe and was in a World Cup 11

he was an outstanding ball winner who could pass and beat a man and he could keep the ball in tight situations. His only weakness was goal scoring but you could rely on him to win the ball, retain it and distribute - he was dynamic and class in his prime and underrated in my opinion. McTominay has a fair way to go - I’m not saying sell him but it’s hard to see an outstanding quality in his game, or how he fits into the team. If his tackling / defensive play were up to scratch there would be no complaints but he does not get in ahead of Fred and now that we have DVdBeek he is behind 2 box to box midfield players and that doesn’t even include Pogba

so it’s hard to see how he will develop more - unless he can learn to sit in front of the back 4 and be that quality DM we still lack who is either comparable to or a step up from Matic

Falcow

People forget how instrumental he was in when the chips were down around mid season. Same applies to Fred. I like them a lot and will be happy to have them here as 20-30 starts a season reliable squad players.
Agree completely. Scott is a better player than Henderson in my opinion and look how important he has been for pool. Players like Mctominay are crucial to the squad. He is one of the few things Jose got right.

georgipep

Agree completely. Scott is a better player than Henderson in my opinion and look how important he has been for pool. Players like Mctominay are crucial to the squad. He is one of the few things Jose got right.
I like McT a lot but to say he's better than Henderson is such an exaggeration that's doing nobody any favours. Henderson is Liverpool and England captain, Scott might have a great career ahead of him but right now he is miles behind Henderson in his development.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What a lovely issue to have. I don't think he'll see a lot of first team action to begin with. But it's a long season and invariably we will see injuries, so he'll get his opportunity to contribute.

United58

I like McT a lot but to say he's better than Henderson is such an exaggeration that's doing nobody any favours. Henderson is Liverpool and England captain, Scott might have a great career ahead of him but right now he is miles behind Henderson in his development.
I agree with your point, but isn't Kane England captain?

It’s a silly comparison full stop. McT is still a young player who is developing, Henderson is 30 and in the prime of his career, who has just won the league as captain.

I think I McT is a very good young player, and think he has a good future at the club. He’s not better than Henderson is right now, but has the potential to be so.

He’s got some serious competition for places now, so when he gets game time it will be because he’s worked hard and done well in training, and that’s no bad thing.

meamth

It’s a silly comparison full stop. McT is still a young player who is developing, Henderson is 30 and in the prime of his career, who has just won the league as captain.

I think I McT is a very good young player, and think he has a good future at the club. He’s not better than Henderson is right now, but has the potential to be so.

He’s got some serious competition for places now, so when he gets game time it will be because he’s worked hard and done well in training, and that’s no bad thing.
Hendo pre-Klopp era was a nothing player too. Scott isn't that at this stage of his career.

OrcaFat

Agree. McT especially will not get the experience he needs to improve. I would send him on loan immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.