5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustus Gloop

I thought he was class in the first half against Villa. Really dominant and dare I say it his touch looks improved, demonstrated by him taking the ball out of the air and driving on a couple of times. Displayed his nimble footwork a fair few times as well.

Objectively, if he’s starting the season as 5th/6th choice midfielder, if he performs like he did yesterday it is only great news for the team to have these riches in depth.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I thought he was class in the first half against Villa. Really dominant and dare I say it his touch looks improved, demonstrated by him taking the ball out of the air and driving on a couple of times. Displayed his nimble footwork a fair few times as well.

Objectively, if he’s starting the season as 5th/6th choice midfielder, if he performs like he did yesterday it is only great news for the team to have these riches in depth.
His touch and close control is underrated. His issue is passing the ball well.

Haddock

Am I mad or is he actually pretty skilled and good on the half turn? He needs to be more composed in possession but does anyone else think there's a serious player here?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Am I mad or is he actually pretty skilled and good on the half turn? He needs to be more composed in possession but does anyone else think there's a serious player here?
Not really no

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is skilful and good at carrying the ball. His passing is bit erratic and he doesn't move to make himself available all the time, something he should work on.

Among CMs he was high in the table when it comes to dribbles completed and winning fouls.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Thought he was pretty good for large parts of last season. December +/- he was one of our better players, wasn't he? He'll be 24 soon, likely his make or break season this.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not at all. I think he’s a fringe player at best.

I think he’ll have a Nicky Butt / Phil Neville type career. Stay here as a decent back up til his late twenties, then move to a midtable team & probably end up captaining them.

He’s not the league one player his detractors make him out to be, but he’s not the top 6 starter level his fans make him out to be either. He’s just a decent PL level player. Might improve a bit but he’ll never be good enough to start for a top team.

Last edited:

Himannv

Not at all. I think he’s a fringe player at best.

I think he’ll have a Nicky Butt / Phil Neville type career. Stay here as a decent back up til his late twenties, then move to a midtable team & probably end up captaining them.

He’s not the league one player his detractors make him out to be, but he’s not the top 6 starter level his fans make him out to be either. He’s just a decent PL level player. Might improve a bit but he’ll never be good enough to start for a top team.
Did you watch him vs Villa? I'm not his biggest fan, but he looked very very good for a back up player.

Fracture90

The more i watch him the more I'm wondering which one of the two scenarios is it;
-MCT actually possessing the talent needed to play DMF
-Ole's desire for him to succeed playing in that position making him blind to MCT's obvious lack of skills needed to do so.

el3mel

He has been pretty bad since the restart. Why the feck did he start actually ? Wasn't Fred the one finishing the last season in such position and on a strong note ? Fred was our best player against Seville, but then we go on and play Scott ahead of him ?

Andersonson

Shocking again. How long is this going to go ignored by our fans.

I dont care if he’s British or an academy graduate, he’s shit. If he was foreign you wouldn’t make excuses for him.
Alot better than Pogba today. Atleast Scott ran back when the team lost the ball. He was alone in midfield today. Not easy playing in a midfield two, when the other one is not there

Roboc7

I feel a bit sorry for him as both club and country are asking him to play positions/roles he is useless at.

Siorac

Alot better than Pogba today. Atleast Scott ran back when the team lost the ball. He was alone in midfield today. Not easy playing in a midfield two, when the other one is not there
I was a lot better than Pogba today so that's pretty much meaningless. They were both terrible.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Pogba was shit as well yes. Scott has been consistently shit since about December. Even when he was “playing well” he was never anything more than a 6/10.

Would he get games for Bayern? Juve? Real? City? Liverpool? Barca? No he wouldn’t, because he’s a midtable player at absolute best.

Augustus Gloop

Best of a bad bunch. Must have been difficult playing next to Pogba who was utterly useless.

Idxomer

The coaching staff truly forget the real level of some of our players and thinks that previous failed experiments will now succeed after the off-season.

Players don't acquire special skills when they aren't playing, McTominay once again will never be good as a holding midfielder no matter how much they keep playing him there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like him but he isnt a CDM - he is a box to box player made to player with another box to box player that also has defensive ability he can share with like Fred.

Him playing with Pogba was a poor decision.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Dog shit today along with Pogba. McArtur and McCarthy destroyed Pogba and Mctominah. Jesus wept.

If you could merge Pogba and Mctominah into one player, then you would have a decent player. Pogba cannot work hard enough and Mctominah is no better than Cleverly.

3KDré

He's not a holding player. His positioning is off every time we ask him to hold. He goes forward when he should stay back and vice versa. Kept hiding from the ball too so we just kept passing it between the defenders.

Untd55

The performance was on par with most of his performances last season. It is just people thought he should be excused because most of the team was poor as well, but he was actually a major reason as to why it was so bad.

Let's be realistic, he was a starter in a team that resided over our worst start to a Premier League season. He is incredibly average; I could name at least 20 midfielders in the league that could do his job, most of whom are in clubs that are midtable and below.

Most other managers would drop him from the squad; he is not even squad material for Manchester United. We have far too many of these average players that provide us with no effective depth. His passing is nowhere near good enough, he is average defensively (nothing special - Fred betters him in every area apart from jumping and heading). He is almost 24 now, so he isn't going to develop much more; his level has already been determined and it is not good enough.

Just because he is Scottish and white doesn't mean he is going to turn into Darren Fletcher, who has been somewhat overrated anyway due to that one good season in the first team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

The performance was on par with most of his performances last season. It is just people thought he should be excused because most of the team was poor as well, but he was actually a major reason as to why it was so bad.

Let's be realistic, he was a starter in a team that resided over our worst start to a Premier League season. He is incredibly average; I could name at least 20 midfielders in the league that could do his job, most of whom are in clubs that are midtable and below.

Most other managers would drop him from the squad; he is not even squad material for Manchester United. We have far too many of these average players that provide us with no effective depth. His passing is nowhere near good enough, he is average defensively (nothing special - Fred betters him in every area apart from jumping and heading). He is almost 24 now, so he isn't going to develop much more; his level has already been determined and it is not good enough.

Just because he is Scottish and white doesn't mean he is going to turn into Darren Fletcher, who has been somewhat overrated anyway due to that one good season in the first team.
Fantastic post. It’s about time he started getting called out. He’s been getting away with this for years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why any manager would believe that he's capable of playing the holding midfielder role is beyond. He's always been a below average, not average but well below, passer. Play him as a box to box 8 if you want but not a 6.

He's also clearly not a starter good as Fred but Ole for some reason thinks otherwise. I think mcotminay is grossly overrated among united fans. He's an okay squad player who has his moments. But he's more of an option level player rather than starter material.

Andersonson

Pogba was shit as well yes. Scott has been consistently shit since about December. Even when he was “playing well” he was never anything more than a 6/10.

Would he get games for Bayern? Juve? Real? City? Liverpool? Barca? No he wouldn’t, because he’s a midtable player at absolute best.
Well. He aint normally a starter. He's a decent backup option. Ole has stated the reasons for Matic etc not playing.

Ace of Spades

He is a box to box player, he struggles when he is played deepest as he is not good at building up play.

He should not be played as the deepest player, just does not have the abiliy to pass from deep, nor good positioning to play that position.

Go with Fred or Matic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I'm afraid you well be right. Mctominay that player who puts in that's one crunching or makes that one driving run, that gets people giddy about his 'heart' and ignorant of him making only 7 out of every 10 passes as a central midfielder. He seems all guts and bravery and it makes fans unsee what they should be seeing and paying attention to. I mean, we had Roy Keane comparisons some time back FFS.

Dante

Average bang
92.3% passing accuracy, 5 tackles (highest in the team), 3 key passes (second only to Bruno) and 3 aerials won.

He wasn't that bad at all. As a second string midfielder, you won't find many better. Literally nobody thinks he should be starting material with everyone fit.

Some stupid conspiracy theories in here about his race and nationality. McTominay is widely regarded by everyone (including pundits like Gary Neville) to be nothing more than a bench option. Holding midfielder isn't his best position, but he did okay. Right back isn't his best position either, but he coped without fuss.

Devil may care

Made a couple of good tackles and worked hard, but also got caught out positionally a few times and offered nothing on the ball.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
92.3% passing accuracy, 5 tackles (highest in the team), 3 key passes (second only to Bruno) and 3 aerials won.

He wasn't that bad at all. As a second string midfielder, you won't find many better. Literally nobody thinks he should be starting material with everyone fit.

Some stupid conspiracy theories in here about his race and nationality. McTominay is widely regarded by everyone (including pundits like Gary Neville) to be nothing more than a bench option. Holding midfielder isn't his best position, but he did okay. Right back isn't his best position either, but he coped without fuss.
Of mainly nothing passes, he can go and do that with Cleverly at Watford

Web of Bissaka

See doubters (not you Dante).. his passing accuracy last season is low because he took more risks when he play B2B role. Bruno's passing accuracy is even worse. When he had to like playing a holding role, he'll be discipline and play safe, keeping his pass accuracy high, just like how Fred and Matic do which reflects on their stats.

McT play either holding or B2B roles depending on different games. Fred majority of the time is holding and his passing is quite lethargic when he play B2B. Matic always hold. Pogba is instructed to be more conservative nowadays and at times holding.

Zoo

This was actually one of his better games probably because he was clearly fitter then the others. But still he’s not good enough and am afraid he never will be.

UpWithRivers

A lot of these players were playing well in the international games. Even James was looking good. So I dont buy fitness issues. And I dont blame the players. Its simply down to putting players in the wrong positions. Its football 101. James love him hate him is not a right winger. If you are going to play him then play him on the left. McTominay is not a defensive midfielder. He is a box to box. Pogba is a box to box but needs a defensive midfielder (or two) next to him. If we are going to play with a ten in Fernandes then we cant play 2 midfielders in their incorrect roles behind him. If we simply played Matic and Mata or Matic and Greenwood. Or Fred and Mc Tominay in midfield. Or Pogba, Mctominay and VDB. There are lots of combinations that will work and would have won us the game.

Eddy_JukeZ

I've never been a fan of his.

But whoever is pushing him into a holding role is bonkers.

He's a #8. Not a #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.