5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

And here we go... let the hating begins.

So that's another "big game" vs "top" side where he play and we didn't lose.

After he's out, our defense immediately opened up, which thankfully Chelsea's attacks are off and shit.
Obviously, we will lose less games if we play defensive players and set up defensively. And just as obvious we will win less games and scores less goals, fail to develop attacking patterns and keeping attacking players happy. Is this good enough for you, will it take us where we want to go? Is not losing a game viewed as a success? This was not prime City or Liverpool.

Ashamed of the expectations many people have these days, the endless line of excuses, awarding mediocrity and expecting it to some how lead to something better as a natural consequence. Tell you what, it won’t. Every day we play like this, is a missed opportunity to develop attacking cohesion and our own brand. Players like Pogba, Fernandes and the likes will not like this setup very much.

Mcking

A big problem especially with AWB in the team. We really should have signed a deep midfielder. It was so obvious that one was needed.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

A big problem especially with AWB in the team. We really should have signed a deep midfielder. It was so obvious that one was needed.
This chart is too irritating to interpret. I'll go by what I see from him instead and I think he's a very dependable CM, I think he could easily partner Van de Beek or Pogba in CM.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Technically poor. Gets away with it because he’s a hard worker & passion merchant.
Funny when you compare the responses of Scott's thread to Fred's, interesting to see that people have accepted that we have a 50M midfielder that has a role that doesn't involve being a strong passer but ready to slaughter McTominay for also lacking in this. To those who I've quoted, I'm not saying you're wrong I actually agree with you but these 2 threads are night and day.

Fred was fine. Let’s not shift blame here. Fred s job is not to create chances. His job is to make sure our team doesn’t get dominated and our back line is protected. Those things were achieved. It was then up to Bruno, Rashford, Pogba, James, Cavani and the fullbacks to some extent to help with creating changes and scoring. Yes it would be great If he contributed but keep the blame to those who failed at their primary job. Toxic-cafe.
He was very good today. Stopped them playing and getting any rhythm going by his doggedness, and helped keep them pinned back with quick short passing. It was not his job to create today.
He played well today. Did his job and nullified their midfield.

His role isn’t to play amazing passes, he is a DMF and breaks play up and keeps the ball moving.Simple.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Funny when you compare the responses of Scott's thread to Fred's, interesting to see that people have accepted that we have a 50M midfielder that has a role that doesn't involve being a strong passer but ready to slaughter McTominay for also lacking in this. To those who I've quoted, I'm not saying you're wrong I actually agree with you but these 2 threads are night and day.
I don't really care about price tags of players these days, everyone is expensive and the market is ridiculous, and the price of a player will only drive you crazy as a fan watching. That being said, Fred's value probably isn't very far off that 50m considering he's a proven big game player that provides an engine and relentless effort that got Kante lauded as one of the best in the world (which was ridiculous at the time).

I think people's frustrations are that we seem to have a manager that has a firm grasp of what Fred does well, yet thinks that McTominay is the successor to Matic when in reality he's just a taller Fred with less technical ability. The two are pretty redundant in their skillsets, and it makes for a midfield platform that can shine in harassing the opposition without the ball, but seriously struggles at the other end of the pitch when the onus is on one or the other to progress the ball in a timely manner into our forwards.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The kid cant play, it really is that simple.
Fecking mental. How many top clubs have a home grown 23 year old who's put in the amount of big game big performances that Mctominay has and still has to listen to shit like this? Get a grip.

RooneyLegend

Fecking mental. How many top clubs have a home grown 23 year old who's put in the amount of big game big performances that Mctominay has and still has to listen to shit like this? Get a grip.
The guy can't play, running around throwing your weight around doesn't equate to huge performances. The guy is basically allergic to doing anything with the ball.

He'sRaldo

A lot of the performances he's put in on the ball wouldn't be acceptable for the top clubs you're talking about.

wattsy7

Unpopular Opinion: Scott’s been our best player so far this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's got some very good qualities in his physicality and tenaciousness. However, his passing is a big problem. Eventually he's going to have to be able to pick out forward passes otherwise he's just going to be a Fellainiesque player we roll out for certain games. At a top team, which hopefully we want to be, you can't get away with a non passer. On the comparisons with Fred, the latter can be clumsy but he's capable of pulling out some very good passes, his issue is completely consistency rather than near inability

Cloud7

Fred is a bit more technically refined than McT, so I guess that gives him a bit more leeway from other people, but there isn't any great deal between the two of them, and for me having both of them in the squad is overkill in the long term. One of them is fine, as a destroyer that we bring out when necessary, but neither of them have what we need to be our long term defensive midfielder IMO.

rollingstoned1

i liked both his and fred's performance against chelsea. what was all the criticism about? the team as a whole were shy of trying too hard to score throught the match and not committing players forward. even if he failed to execute them i liked that he at least saw a couple of passes between the lines that he may not have seen a year or 2 ago.

Augustus Gloop

The guy can't play, running around throwing your weight around doesn't equate to huge performances. The guy is basically allergic to doing anything with the ball.
A lot of the performances he's put in on the ball wouldn't be acceptable for the top clubs you're talking about.
He’s shown time and time again he can be extremely capable on the ball. Besides, “on the ball“ does not equate solely to passing. His first touch is consistently good - how many times has he lost the ball with his back to goal after receiving a ball from the back 5?

And his footwork is nimble in tight spaces, especially for a big chap. He can glide past people. He done that time & time again prior to his knee injury last season.

Yes, his passing was disappointing against Chelsea. But he can do better so it’s not like it isn’t in his locker. If we didn’t score two freak own goals in two games we’d be sitting on three clean sheets in a row. Scott is a HUGE part of the beginning of this revival.

Instead of hammering down on an issue that was only apparent in one game, where we continued our momentum and gained an invaluable clean sheet anyway, why don’t you look at some of the facets in Scott’s performances that have helped in the past 3 results.

His defensive positioning and awareness seemed to have increased tenfold since playing with Scotland in a back 3. And this progression has been so quick. The fact that he’s learning and adapting and developing is fantastic. He’s much younger than his CM counterparts and in my opinion he’s on an exciting trajectory.

Fred is not creative but hes a good technical passer and keeps the ball moving quickly. McTominay is not.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Neither are good enough. Some fans have a very big bias for British/academy players, some fans counter that by having a bias against British/academy players. I don’t give a shit where their from, if they are good enough that’s all I care about. We won’t go anywhere we haven’t been in the last 7 year with these 2 in the team.

Signing a declining Matic & Fred for a combined £90m was shocking business in hindsight, especially when you consider Fabinho was available both summers.

Robbie Boy

His form has really picked up. He was very good in spells last season and he's a good option.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
All these rubbish talking about him being some average player.

He helps this team out to a significant standard. That's all I care about.

fergieisold

Fred is a bit more technically refined than McT, so I guess that gives him a bit more leeway from other people, but there isn't any great deal between the two of them, and for me having both of them in the squad is overkill in the long term. One of them is fine, as a destroyer that we bring out when necessary, but neither of them have what we need to be our long term defensive midfielder IMO.
I like Fred but I actually think McT is better technically. He’s an excellent player to have in the team!

Superunknown

He and Fred play so much better together.
They've got good chemistry and seem to just fit well together. It's dependable. There are other players in the squad who can be creative, so I think it allows these two to just focus on blocking anything from getting through.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was a great cameo, he's strong as an ox. He's limited but he's proved time and time again how good he can be in these big games, a valuable asset.

MrBrightside1989

Another good performance. Offers super energy and presence. I appreciate he is not the most gifted passer but I'm confident he will be able to develop this side of his game in the coming months.

-Supreme-

Although McT was fine when he came on, but I'm surprised seeing so many thought he played better than Matic who I thought had a great game alongside Fred.

Matic and Fred must start in midfield, I don't think McT is at that level yet.

Zen86

He was like a man possessed when he came on. Matic is the more composed player, but McT really injected some energy and aggression right when we needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.