Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We need a guy like him in the squad. Hopefully he can develop further, ala Darren Fletcher

Devil may care

For the same reason you believe it would matter to 'British pundits'...
The difference being there are countless examples of these pundits showing bias, i just pointed out that it's clear nationality is irrelevant to me. Look I get it, I've seen your McTominay posts, you think he's great, that's fine, I think he's a solid squad player, deal with it.

they must be annoyed that Bruno has constantly been out best player then.
Again not the point, I'm talking about how criticism when the players are playing badly is disproportionate depending on your passport, or the hype is elevated if you have a good game.

The difference being there are countless examples of these pundits showing bias, i just pointed out that it's clear nationality is irrelevant to me. Look I get it, I've seen your McTominay posts, you think he's great, that's fine, I think he's a solid squad player, deal with it.

Again not the point, I'm talking about how criticism when the players are playing badly is disproportionate depending on your passport, or the hype is elevated if you have a good game.
As I’ve said, look at Maguire. But then it’s obvious you ignore anything that doesn’t support your view.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Im not talking about fans, I'm talking about the British pundits. Likewise with Rashford, my point wasn't about who is better when playing well, the point is Rashford has plenty of poor games for us where he's a bit of a headless chicken, but the pundits rarely ever criticize him for those games, where as Scholes, Neville and co can't wait to put the boots into Martial when he's poor.
I thought it’s more because he’s playing as #9, a position where there’s so much expectation. These pundits played with the likes of Cole, Ruud, Van Persie to name a few who epitomised consistency, great movement, hold up play and finishing.

Even in our best teams we’ve had some less productive wingers than Rashford. But he’s younger, and even if he’s poor in some games he gets involved at least. Naturally, these ex players probably have it in for a player who looks like he isn’t giving his all.

Devil may care

I thought it’s more because he’s playing as #9, a position where there’s so much expectation. These players played with the likes of Cole, Ruud, Van Persie to name a few who epitomised consistency, great movement, hold up play and finishing.

Even in our best teams we’ve had some less productive wingers than Rashford.
The Martial criticism goes back through his entire time here though, I mean his song is based around the way he was written off as a waste of money when he'd hardly played for us. With Rashford when he plays up top his lack of hold-up play is rarely even acknowledged for instance. I like both players, I think both still have a lot to work on and I would just like to see both judged with the same energy.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We need a guy like him in the squad. Hopefully he can develop further, ala Darren Fletcher
Yeah I like him.

Not world class by any means but is able to put work rate and energy in to a certain area.

Blaming him for not being Scholes or not having a player like that is hardly his fault.

A good enough player for me that can do a job for us. The fact he starts most of games is not his problem.

Dante

Average bang

You're guilty of two different logical fallacies here. Firstly, the 'common belief fallacy': your claim that something must be true because everybody thinks it is. Secondly, you're using a 'misattribution fallacy': your claim that everybody thinks those pundits have the bias you've just alleged.

Anyway, I don't think McTominay's a great individual. I rate his his inclusion in the system alongside Fred. My posts on the topic are almost exclusively about those two as a pair.

If the nationality of the person giving the opinion wasn't important, you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. I'm only responding to you under the terms of the argument you've introduced yourself. Don't be a nationalist if you don't want to be called a nationalist.

What's evident from your response is that you're trying to do it limit praise of McTominay by calling into question the reliability of people who have anything positive to say about him (because they're British). Simultaneously, you've brought up Fred in a player performance thread that has nothing to do with him (because you have an unrelated agenda you want to push).

The United

His medium passing is still not good enough yet. But, at least he is trying to expand it. I think he has been trying to improve his passing range.

Once, he gets most of it, he will be some CDM.

Devil may care

You're guilty of two different logical fallacies here. Firstly, the 'common belief fallacy': your claim that something must be true because everybody thinks it is. Secondly, you're using a 'misattribution fallacy': your claim that everybody thinks those pundits have the bias you've just alleged.

Anyway, I don't think McTominay's a great individual. I rate his his inclusion in the system alongside Fred. My posts on the topic are almost exclusively about those two as a pair.

If the nationality of the person giving the opinion wasn't important, you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. I'm only responding to you under the terms of the argument you've introduced yourself. Don't be a nationalist if you don't want to be called a nationalist.

What's evident from your response is that you're trying to do it limit praise of McTominay by calling into question the reliability of people who have anything positive to say about him (because they're British). Simultaneously, you've brought up Fred in a player performance thread that has nothing to do with him (because you have an unrelated agenda you want to push).
Assumptions and pseudo mind reading.......anyway, to cut through the fluff and to the point, I mentioned Fred because when the combination works it's always about McTominay becoming some midfield titan, when clealy Fred is the better of the two, but sure, there's no bias, ok.

why not enjoy the win, and stop trying to find issues where they’re aren’t issues.
You can enjoy a win and still voice opinions about issues that you feel are valid regarding the team long term as we are so erratic in our form you have to look at more than the final score.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He did that thing he did against Arsenal again. Tried to pass through the lines, gets intercepted, ball comes straight back to him, he tries to pass through the lines again and hits an opposition player again. Very frustrating to watch.

Overall, though, he played well. Wasn’t passing through the lines well but did ping one or two lovely long range passes to the left wing. And did his usual excellent hassling and harrying.

RUCK4444

His medium passing is still not good enough yet. But, at least he is trying to expand it. I think he has been trying to improve his passing range.

Once, he gets most of it, he will be some CDM.
Agree. If he can improve his passing he will then take that step up a level and we could then be looking at a very good player for us.

HowYouDoin

I really like McTominay and I want him to have a long career for us, no reason not to have him for another 10 years but we would really go another level if we could get a world class version of McTominay. Meaning someone that does the same things McTominay does but also is a great player.
With that being said you wont necessarily go wrong with McTominay, you can always start him but to be a truly elite team I do feel we will need to upgrade that position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't think you can play Fred without McTominay...and vice-versa. They're a symbiotic pairing.
Fred's been fine without McTominay. Fred-Matic-Bruno won against Chelsea, Watford and City last season (did lose against Chelsea in the FA Cup though). Fred-Pogba-Bruno also dominated Sevilla in the Europa semi even though we did end up losing.

I do agree McTominay relies on Fred quite a bit more though.

Highfather_24

The Martial criticism goes back through his entire time here though, I mean his song is based around the way he was written off as a waste of money when he'd hardly played for us. With Rashford when he plays up top his lack of hold-up play is rarely even acknowledged for instance. I like both players, I think both still have a lot to work on and I would just like to see both judged with the same energy.
Will never happen. Pundits are always biased towards local players. Its why Welbeck was hyped so much, despite being a much inferior player compared to Chicharito.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Will never happen. Pundits are always biased towards local players. Its why Welbeck was hyped so much, despite being a much inferior player compared to Chicharito.
Hernandez was also hyped up saying how he is easily 20 goal striker when he scored 20+ only 2 times in 10 years.

Himannv

Some nice long passes here and there. I think he looked tired towards the end of the game and wasn't closing down the opposition in front of the backline and instead slotted into defence to compensate. For now, he's the closest we seem to have to the Carrick type player, although he's clearly a level below what is required.

lenny_1248

He's doing great, but let's be honest - we won't be a top-top team with him in the starting 11.
We need someone as hard-working as him, but more talented. With greater passing range, greater technique, etc.

Andersons Dietician

Was pretty Surprised yesterday by those long raking passes. Actually found a man as well. He and Fred seemed to have the passing boots on.

I do think he has a tendency to let people run off him but maybe it’s just when he is knackered becuase it did become more apparent at the end of the game. Do wish he would take a bit more risk sometimes. I mean they aren’t even risky passes but he doesn’t seem to want to risk losing possesion in the slightest for easy passes. Fred, Mata, Bruno popped in to space in easy to find places for anyone but he turned away from them.

As a team we really do need to find thie proper balance between being reckless and being over cautious.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Good game for Scotland in RCB role (3 at the back). He seems very comfortable on the right side with all game ahead of him. His passing has been good today too. Should give it a try, especially if we're trying to accommodate van de Beek and Bruno.

cyberman

He's doing great, but let's be honest - we won't be a top-top team with him in the starting 11.
We need someone as hard-working as him, but more talented. With greater passing range, greater technique, etc.
Name a better duo than Scott and a back handed compliment

AshRK

He is a good player. Only if he improves his passing even more he can be a proper midfielder.

STYLOISRED

People forget he is 23! At this age very few players play at the base of a midfield for a top club.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Liverpool and Jordan Henderson.

Dan_F

Great pen. Really happy he’s not going to get the blame after losing his man for Serbia’s goal.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Think CB in a 3 is right for him. Happy for him!
I've not seen any of his matches there but I'm hearing good things. Also it's great for him to score a pen and for his team and to be heading to the tournament. Well in Scott.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Fair fecks. He turned down England for Scotland and this is vindication, probably not for him mind.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Fair play to him for stepping up to take a penalty after being at fault for the goal. That took a lot of courage.

PoTMS

18th June 2021

McTominay masterclass against England.

Bwuk

The last 3 or 4 games he’s played at CB in a 3 and hes looked really good.

Wouldn’t be against it if we played a back 3 again at some point. I thought we’d do it against PSG but we went with Axel.

Status
Not open for further replies.