5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRM

He was alright today, usual performance plenty of grit and fight but I felt his positioning was a bit poor

STYLOISRED

The right CB role is something i think Ole and Co have picked up on as well. I watched a video a while back showing how matic dropping into the middle of the defence was pivotal to our build up as it allowed us play 334 in transition with our fullbacks pushing high which became an issue when he was not playing as neither Fred no Scott could do the job. However since our match against Newcastle i noticed he usually drops to the right side while Lindelof moves to the middle. This is also highlighted by an increase in Lindelof's involvement in our build up.

STYLOISRED

He is a bit of a nothing player. Doesn't really excel in anything. I had high hopes for him but it seems he is not gonna be good enough.
He may never be elite level or world class but calling him a nothing player is just wrong.

UtdAgain08

The guy was immense tonight, so happy for him, you can bet there were people ready to smash him for one mistake out of the entire game.

Augustus Gloop

As good as I’ve ever seen him last night. Considering he’s not a natural RCB it looked like he played there all of his life. He is composed way beyond his years and looked so comfortable on the ball for such a high magnitude match. His passing, generally, was fantastic too. Some lovely balls between the lines when safe options were on.

And the penalty. What a hit. What a player.

I love the lad and what a glorious night for Scotland. That penalty shoot out was brutal ha!

Reactions: roonster09

GueRed

i like McTominay he's a good lad

Fergie would've loved him and definitely would've ultilised him to the fullest

tenpoless

He didn't cost us a transfer fee.
He's useful.
He's young and is still growing as a football player.
He could play in positions where we are lacking.

No idea why he keeps getting criticized for being 'not good enough'. Nobody expected him to be as good as Carrick if that's what you mean. Try to apply some perspectives for once. There are players that costed us way more and is no better than Scott. A team doesn't have to be full of superstars. If he's not good enough for you then fair enough but that would mean the club should find an upgrade and not blaming the player. In my eyes he could be a very useful squad player, if not a first teamer.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

If fergie managed to get Cleverley a title medal he would have for sure loved Scott and secured him more.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

100%. SAF loved hard working players with the right mentality.

Red Royal

He's useful.

No idea why he keeps getting criticized for being 'not good enough'. Nobody expected him to be as good as Carrick if that's what you mean. Try to apply some perspectives for once. There are players that costed us way more and is no better than Scott. A team doesn't have to be full of superstars. If he's not good enough for you then fair enough but that would mean the club should find an upgrade and not blaming the player. In my eyes he could be a very useful squad player, if not a first teamer.
Exactly... I think some posters would love to clone Bruno multiple times and have 10 Brunos in front of De Gea. It just would not work, you need the McTominay and Fred's of the world to allow the stars to shine!

Chairman Steve

He’s a good squad player to have on rotation like O’Shea. Dont think he’ll be as good as the easy comparison of Fletcher as he was a starter a lot of the time for us in his prime years, next to Carrick and Scholes, after Hargreaves injury woes.

I do cringe at ’McSauce’ though.

Swiss_Red89

He showed incredible mental strenth last night. To step up for such a high pressure penalty, after being at fault for the equaliser, shows that he is "United material" imo. He just has the right mentality to play for our club. Such as players like Bruno or Rashford, who smashed an even more high pressure penalty for England at a worldcup penalty shootout when he was 20 years old.

They all have their faults, but we definitely need players like them. I hate the negativity on here towards our own young players when they have a bad game or two.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
He's learning to do a job in a position he's not comfortable in for the national team . I'd say every team needs a McT like character for just pure grit. Also he is beginning to show his class too now (the pass to Rashy last week was sick and reminiscent of scholesy's long balls)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Young lad. One of the biggest penalties in his countries recent history. No messing about. He’s got a great attitude.

SER19

Cleverly is such a lazy comparison.

Mctominay is a good passer, good ball winner and brings loads of energy to midfield. Undoubtedly he and Fred is our best combo behind more attacking minded ones. He's coming along really well, think he could develop into a really quality box to box player

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is a bit of a nothing player. Doesn't really excel in anything. I had high hopes for him but it seems he is not gonna be good enough.
I think that is pretty harsh. He may not be the most gifted player. But he has achieved significantly more than any of us. His attitude and work ethic are very good. Far better than loads of others at United. And his passing is gradually improving.
He is what he is and I like him for that.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Mctominay is a good passer, good ball winner and brings loads of energy to midfield. Undoubtedly he and Fred is our best combo behind more attacking minded ones. He's coming along really well, think he could develop into a really quality box to box player
His passing is his biggest weakness imo, if his passing was better he'd be a very, very good player. As of right now, he's a good player who is a highly useful squad player to have but not a player who should be an automatic starter. That's no bad thing either, it's a squad game these days and he's still developing his game. What I do like about him is that he does bring some leadership to the table, something I feel our team lacks at times. Wish more of our players had his desire.

He’s a good squad player to have on rotation like O’Shea. Dont think he’ll be as good as the easy comparison of Fletcher as he was a starter a lot of the time for us in his prime years, next to Carrick and Scholes, after Hargreaves injury woes.

I do cringe at ’McSauce’ though.
we won’t know whether it’s a good comparison for a few years yet. Whilst McT came onto the scene later than Fletcher, it took him a long time for the majority of our fans to really appreciate him and understand his importance. It looks like McT is on this path as well.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
His passing is his biggest weakness imo, if his passing was better he'd be a very, very good player. As of right now, he's a good player who is a highly useful squad player to have but not a player who should be an automatic starter. That's no bad thing either, it's a squad game these days and he's still developing his game. What I do like about him is that he does bring some leadership to the table, something I feel our team lacks at times. Wish more of our players had his desire.
I think he has shown he has a good range from his youth days so his passing is a bit understated. Starting out as a holding mid under Mou means keeping it simple was the best bet. Also he has been trying more of those recently which means he has them in his locker. He just needs to take more risks which will come with age. He's only 23

Recent examples : around 15 secs in ball to Rashy.

Last edited:

marktan

Agreed, but I think passing can be improved with age a bit like Fletch.
Mctominay excels at all the basics, has loads of energy, tackles, and weirdly can finish too. Once he improves his passing he'll be a very well-rounded player.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
He played fantastic for Scotland last night, he did the country proud!

Cantonagotmehere

As good as I’ve ever seen him last night. Considering he’s not a natural RCB it looked like he played there all of his life. He is composed way beyond his years and looked so comfortable on the ball for such a high magnitude match. His passing, generally, was fantastic too. Some lovely balls between the lines when safe options were on.

And the penalty. What a hit. What a player.

I love the lad and what a glorious night for Scotland. That penalty shoot out was brutal ha!
Congrats mate.

Toddler

I think that is pretty harsh. He may not be the most gifted player. But he has achieved significantly more than any of us. His attitude and work ethic are very good. Far better than loads of others at United. And his passing is gradually improving.
He is what he is and I like him for that.
It may be harsh but do you think he has the talent and ability to be a long term first choice midfielder for us?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Im not sure i'm the one who needs to grow up. Im entitled to my opinion, and you on yours. Please come up with something else than grow up and challenge my opinion with something proper. Why is he in your opinion/factually good enough for united?
It was a joke mate, with a reference to your username, we're cool. I disagree with you and rate him high as our second best midfielder currently.

norm87cro

He's useful.

THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.