Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The advantage Fletcher has was that he was a better football with cleaner, superior technical qualities and a lesser reliance of physical strength.

And Fletcher actually started out as somewhat of a wonderkid we wanted to feature in the first team at the age of 16.

Maybe Mctominay will improve drastically but it's amusing how people club him with vastly superior players (first Keane now Park and Fletcher) as if he's destined to reach the top and doesn't have severe weaknesses in his game.

People assume that the likes of Park and Flecher were all effort and hence essentially carried by others, which wasn't the case. It's just that our quality was so good even our squad players tended to be very good footballers.
I wouldn’t say Fletcher was a cleaner footballer. Fletcher in his early 3 years played erratic football, he often give the possession away easily and he was known with poor positioning and also lacks of creativity. Only in 08/09 when he start hitting it to new level. You might say 06/07 he was better than in his first 3 years but not by much. Although I still see Fletcher will be more technical than Scott since Fletcher can cross but Fletcher wasn’t really that good before he was 24.

Himannv

Yeah, nice little cameo last night. He's always quite good against the press. Very useful skill to have.

I think he does a lot of little things right and he's probably the most balanced CM we have in our squad.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Scott's probably around the same place Fletcher was at this stage of his career. The difference is that Fletch was far more highly rated as a youth player so it was quite disappointing he was 'only' this good, and he then took the step up to where he was expected to be for 18 months before the illness took hold. Whereas McTominay never seemed to be particularly highly rated while he was coming through the ranks and it's a bit surprising he's achieved what he has. Obviously the incredible growth spurt throws that off a bit though as McTominay at 6'4" is almost a completely different player than he was as a 5'8" 16yo.

It's yet to be seen if McTominay keeps improving and can get closer to Fletcher's top level. I do remember being quite impressed with his improvement on the ball at the beginning of last season, he'd obviously been working on it and both his passing and his control in small places had improved massively over that preseason. Unfortunately they seemed to slip away as the season wore on, but he showed enough to hope that he can do that on a more permanent basis. There were a couple of good moments in his last match, so hopefully.
He very rarely loses possession due to his poor ball control. One thing I noticed he looks much more confident on the right, takes a second to look around rather than pass it sideways when positioned centrally.

He's a good all round footballer and reliable midfielder at least, I want to see him paired with van de Beek.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Without him in midfield we played some decent football last two games. Ball was much quicker and passing was much better. Coincidence?

Man Utd 1:3 PSG

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Now for a bit of positivity, thought he was excellent and without a doubt our best player on the night. Seems to thrive in big games.

Idxomer

I don't think he started well but then got in the game gradually and had a good 2nd half.

el3mel

They were dancing around him today during first half. Didn't know how to deal with them at all. Improved a little bit in second.

Walters_19_MuFc

This thread would have been lively if he had a shite game. People complaining he's average, etc.

Fact is, he did exactly what he needed to do tonight. Protected the back four and provided a foil for our attacking players, who should have done better in front of goal.

Solid again by him.

Lanesy

Now for a bit of positivity, thought he was excellent and without a doubt our best player on the night. Seems to thrive in big games.
Completely agree, he was class. So reliable in big games, the modern day Darren Fletcher!

Ekeke

Wasnt as good as Fred on the ball, and PSG went past him too easily at times. But he also won the ball the most by a big margin with 7 tackles so he had his successes as well as his failures. Middling at best overall

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Wasnt as good as Fred on the ball, and PSG went past him too easily at times. But he also won the ball the most by a big margin with 7 tackles so he had his successes as well as his failures. Middling at best overall
And he's better at fouling given he got zero cards for 5 fouls.

Bwuk

He should be starting every game at 6.

He’s our best option there imo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That second half period where we were completely dominating PSG just before their corner goal - Mctomminay was sensational.

tjb

I think he's a good player generally and has significantly improved his game now. We could pass out of defence because Mctominay has finally learnt how to play the DM role both in and out of possession.

Devil may care

Was poor on their first goal, roughed Neymar up a bit, made a couple of decent tackles, not good enough on the ball.

Grande

Was poor on their first goal, roughed Neymar up a bit, made a couple of decent tackles, not good enough on the ball.
I disagree, and dare you to look at the game again. McTominay was very efficient and positive with the ball today, used his head well to speed up or slow down play at the right times. Defensively I thought he did a fantastic job today. Much better than Fred, who otherwise have been better than him this season.

Devil may care

I disagree, and dare you to look at the game again. McTominay was very efficient and positive with the ball today, used his head well to speed up or slow down play at the right times. Defensively I thought he did a fantastic job today. Much better than Fred, who otherwise have been better than him this season.
I want more on the ball than either him or Fred offer and he was sluggish in closing Neymar down on the first goal. Like I said he made some good tackles in the second half, im not saying he was terrible but I've never felt him or Fred are long term starters if we are to get back to really challenging for the 2 major trophies.

acnumber9

He was better in the second half but I don’t think we’ll win enough games if him and Fred are regular first choice. You need more in midfield.

Grande

I want more on the ball than either him or Fred offer and he was sluggish in closing Neymar down on the first goal. Like I said he made some good tackles in the second half, im not saying he was terrible but I've never felt him or Fred are long term starters if we are to get back to really challenging for the 2 major trophies.
The ball deflects from one side to his other, I don’t think anyone would have made Neymar given that.

Your general views on him may be fair enough, but I feel you let them colour how you saw this particular game too much. If I were a betting man, I’d bet if you rewatched the match with focus on Scott, you’d give him at least an 8 out of 10.

Web of Bissaka

The advantage Fletcher has was that he was a better football with cleaner, superior technical qualities and a lesser reliance of physical strength.

And Fletcher actually started out as somewhat of a wonderkid we wanted to feature in the first team at the age of 16.
:lol: None of those are said about Fletcher at all.

1. Firstly, it's the other way around, Fletcher is shit for not having any skills nor technical abilities, just relying on high energy, combative grit and "nationality" to get Fergie's favors to play, or so those were the popular narrative back then. Seriously when does this technical superiority started? Fletcher relied a lot on physical attributes even if he don't have the strength, he got the energy.

Sounds so familiar with McT (except the nationality part, this case with Ole).

2. Yeah, the second point... since when is Fletcher a wonderkid? but yes it's true some coaches (I doubt a lot) at the club especially Fergie wanted to play him early,even as far as to compare him to Rooney and Ronaldo. Remember the "shoot like Rooney, dribble like Ronaldo, and pass life Fletcher" thing in the past? That gets ridiculed by fans. No fans wanted Fletcher to feature at all. Except very small voices maybe. Fans were very happy once we got Hargreaves because finally Fletcher won't play.

Again this sounds so familiar with McT, few coaches especially the managers eg. Mourinho first then Ole, wanted him to feature with the first team at a more consistent basis. We were close to getting rid of him until Mou stepped in. Clearly none of the coaches before that (even LVG) rated him at all. Difference is some fans finally realize how crucial this type of players are, and so McT gained more support by some more fans, compare to Fletcher who barely received any at that time.

Web of Bissaka

Wasnt as good as Fred on the ball, and PSG went past him too easily at times.
Fred that have bad heavy touches at times that got him into troubles leading to his final sending off?
and PSG who went past by Fred with ease because it's too easy him leaving so many spaces to exploit every time he high-pressed unless McT is there to support him?

Laphroaig

Great second half, and it shows his maturity. He could have had killing Neymar as his understandable main goal for the second half, but he's more mature than me, being twice his age or summat. If things had been normal, he would have been a key to us getting a much deserved win today.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
:lol: None of those are said about Fletcher at all.

1. Firstly, it's the other way around, Fletcher is shit for not having any skills nor technical abilities, just relying on high energy, combative grit and "nationality" to get Fergie's favors to play, or so those were the popular narrative back then. Seriously when does this technical superiority started? Fletcher relied a lot on physical attributes even if he don't have the strength, he got the energy.

Sounds so familiar with McT (except the nationality part, this case with Ole).

2. Yeah, the second point... since when is Fletcher a wonderkid? but yes it's true some coaches (I doubt a lot) at the club especially Fergie wanted to play him early,even as far as to compare him to Rooney and Ronaldo. Remember the "shoot like Rooney, dribble like Ronaldo, and pass life Fletcher" thing in the past? That gets ridiculed by fans. No fans wanted Fletcher to feature at all. Except very small voices maybe. Fans were very happy once we got Hargreaves because finally Fletcher won't play.

Again this sounds so familiar with McT, few coaches especially the managers eg. Mourinho first then Ole, wanted him to feature with the first team at a more consistent basis. We were close to getting rid of him until Mou stepped in. Clearly none of the coaches before that (even LVG) rated him at all. Difference is some fans finally realize how crucial this type of players are, and so McT gained more support by some more fans, compare to Fletcher who barely received any at that time.
Fletcher was extremely highly rated coming through the ranks. He looked far better than McTominay did at that stage and the surprising thing was how he did end up struggling for the first few years when he got into the team. Him eventually becoming such an important player for us was only him achieving the level that he was expected to. Unfortunately the illness then cut that short. But even in those earlier days he did have a better passing range than Scott.

To be fair to McTominay though, his incredible growth spurt makes it difficult to compare his youth team performances to anyone as he's a completely different prospect now than he was at 15-16. He also has had periods (the start of last season, once or twice this season) where he has shown quite good ability on the ball, so the potential is there. Hopefully he will take the step up like Fletch did even though he didn't show the same promise as a youngster.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't recall him losing the ball due to poor touch or misplaced pass. I thought he made good use of the ball actually.

Defensively he wasn't at his best, even if he made 10 tackles he must've attempted at least twice as much. But I'm not worried, playing against two wonderful players does that.

I am fully confident with McTominay on the pitch. We should pair him with Donny this weekend as we need to try this combo ahead of big game against RB.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was brilliant tonight, he was given the ball in dangerous positions a few times and didn’t panic, he used dribbling and feints and got out of trouble and getting in Neymars head was hilarious. Makes it funnier because he genuinely looks like a school bully. :lol:

He started terribly. He couldn't get near them in the first half. Grew into the game in the second half by which time it was too late.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Regardless of the result last night, Fred, McT and Bruno are still my favourite MF to line up with.

McT is turning into a decent player and although it will cost us from time to time, I love his developing mastery of the dark arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.