5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

Im sorry but the post was he misplaced nearly every pass, all I done was show that he doesn't misplace every pass.

I agree that he hides from the ball, I haven't said he doesn't.

McTominay has a passing accuracy in the PL of 86% and Fred 87%

So looks like you also think that Fred gives away the ball more than not.
I actually don't

Fletcher was also rated very highly whilst coming through the ranks and it was reported that Fergie wanted to give him his debut at 15.
He was highly rated indeed. I didn't see it myself at the time but he won me over around 05/06

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Massive game for McTominay at the base of midfield. He has the energy over Matic but I'm not sure he has the ability to withstand the Liverpool press, whilst being able to start us on the counter.

Is it fair to say how he performs will be a major factor in how we perform overall? I hope he manages to rise to the occasion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Massive game for McTominay at the base of midfield. He has the energy over Matic but I'm not sure he has the ability to withstand the Liverpool press, whilst being able to start us on the counter.

Is it fair to say how he performs will be a major factor in how we perform overall? I hope he manages to rise to the occasion.
100%. He’s been poor in his last few outings too. In fact, his poor performances in big games has been a huge factor in us struggling to repeat last season’s results against big teams. Could really do with him turning things round today. Wish I was more confident it will happen.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Prediction. The moment he misses a pass or any other mistake there will be a chorus of complaints. The moment he does something really well not a single one of those moaning will make a comment.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
100%. He’s been poor in his last few outings too. In fact, his poor performances in big games has been a huge factor in us struggling to repeat last season’s results against big teams. Could really do with him turning things round today. Wish I was more confident it will happen.
Yeah usually he's better the bigger the match. Not this season though. After Leeds you're expecting him to push on, but it's been the complete opposite. It's been so strange to see.

Liverpool 0:0 Man Utd

Based Adnan

Poor first 10 but felt he was the only midfielder capable of playing it out the back consistently. Especially in the first half. Done well defensively as well, good game.

NinjaFletch

I thought he grew into the game after a very shaky start, but Fred and him need to grow up and learn to play that role on their own without the other holding their hand so we can play some players in there that might let us control a game from time to time.

Idxomer

One of the few games he was better than Fred, still nothing special overall and one of the reasons we got dominated in the 1st half.

Litch

Did ok and him and Fred got better as the game went on. It's funny has it feels it's been a few games since they played together and that couldn't have helped....

Roboc7

He did ok I thought and was better than Fred for a change. Hopefully Ole is starting to see that energy isn’t enough and we need better than Fred and Mctominay.

PoTMS

Awful first half, much better second. McTominay and Fred started dominating the midfield.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We got overrun in CM in the first 30 mins and I thought he and Fred got left short, with them playing 3 and also Firminio dropping deep as he does. Could have done with Bruno dropping a bit to help out and pressure Thiago.

Devil may care

Started off with some poor passing butgrew into the game on the ball and defensively, showed some good footwork on the ball when pressed.

He was poor to begin with and left Fred a bit exposed, but from that point on he was good. Matched them blow for blow and got stuck in everywhere.

Red-17

Would like to see him make driving runs with the ball from deep more often. It would be a huge asset to our team in big games because when he gets going he is not an easy player to stop. If he could be like a poor man's Yaya Toure in that regard, that would make a big difference.

Mindhunter

All he offers in these games is a body in midfield who can block some passing lanes through the middle as the team drops back into the box so that the ball is spread wide. That’s it.

When we have the ball, he is either hiding from it, being marked by someone, passing it sideways or backwards, or being harried by the opponents pressing. Only when Liverpool got tired in the second half and let off the pressing did he get some time on the ball to play passes ahead of him.

He is a squad option at best. Not in a 100 years should he be a first choice starter for a club with title ambitions playing against their fiercest rivals.

kundalini

Super performance. Several good passes into Fernandes and Rashford, who promptly gave it away. Got his head to a dangerous Liverpool corner. Moments of good skill on the ball and a decent surge up the pitch late on before being fouled.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Really struggle with McTominey and what he offers.

He cant play at the base without a partner, and offers so little it's hard to justify his selection. He plays worse with Fred - who also has issue's being a sole DM but is easily the better footballer.

The pair of them together just doesn't work. Often in the same spaces, neither great at withstanding an opposition press etc.

What bothers me most about McTominey is that he's so so poor on the ball. He's never in a great position to receive the ball which puts him in a bad position to distribute it. And he cant pass for shit. Way to safe, way to predictable, way to slow. In no way is he acceptable as a DM for us. Its always sideways, always backwards and makes us so easy to defend against. It's way to slow and limits our better players getting on the ball as much.

Also from above, it seems he has less touches and involvement than our other midfielders too - which is criminal from a Man utd DM to be "hiding from the ball". He should be dictating play etc but is very limited and hampers us as a team.

I have no idea what Donny has to do to get a game. He's a class above McTom, Fred and Matic. Mental decisions from Ole

Sylar

Game was passing him by in the first 20 or so minutes. Then he managed to get more on the ball and was hardly losing it. Was really calm at times stepping away from opposition. Also made a few good passes too. I think he will always be picked and reliable for the 'top' games.

Man Utd 3:2 Liverpool

Chairman Steve

I feel McTominay would benefit from the advice Brian Clough gave Roy Keane of “You get the ball, pass to a red shirt and you move”.

I wish he’d keep his passing simple and not try to be too fancy or elegant. Did look better when Fred came on though.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really poor on the ball today, needs to understand his role isn't to channel his inner Xavi but to just keep it simple

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His passing is still a problem, but hes doing alright

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Didn't impose himself on the game at all, needed more from him. Only grew into the game after Klopp made the subs and, more importantly, after Fred came on.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've been quite critical of him over the last month but thought he was decent today. Continued his trend of making a small improvement every match since he had that disgraceful Leicester performance. I'm not sure how much of that was Liverpool's impotence through the middle for most of the match though - I did notice a couple of times when they won the ball and attacked he wasn't in the position that you'd expect your main DM to be.

He also barely made an effort when he was turned during their first goal, and gave away a very poor freekick just outside the box soon after that. In fact the more I write and remember individual moments the more I question whether he was decent after all. :lol: I think he did continue his improvement from his recent poor form so I guess that's the main thing.

Ekeke

Was embarassing on the first goal. He's in midfield to get tight and break up moves, the ball is passed to a player a few yards away and he sits off him with no pressure giving him time to play Salah through with his pass.

Other than that, one or two nice passes and was okay overall. But that was a very concerning mistake from someone playing DM

Godfather

Grew into the game. Pretty wank for their goal and overall in the first half. Mostly tidy in the second with some good passes and runs through the middle

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Think he struggles a bit without Fred's legs next to him, not that Pogba didn't put in a shift today.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's playing to his highest level IMO. Just don't expect him to do much better unless we change the system a bit and provide more passing options (which we should do btw). Had a decent game but for whatever reason he takes too many touches at one occasion, just to release the perfect ball very quickly on other occasion. His issue is how long he takes to make a decision, because passing is good in general. Might be a low awereness of what's going on around him.

acnumber9

He isn’t good enough to be first choice every week and our midfield suffers badly for it. He has the odd game where he looks top class but his par is just not good enough. We don’t look any sturdier with him ‘protecting’ the defence and he isn’t a great passer. He’s ok at a number of things and that just isn’t enough if you want to win things.

Status
Not open for further replies.