5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Poor performance. We needed to retain the ball better, especially when Liverpool were so dominant in the first half after we scored. Tried some ambitious long passes in the 2nd half that didn't find the intended target but weren't so far away either.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@Judas. You still think that i am overreacting with comparing him with Gibson/Kleberson/Djemba/Cleverley?
Kleberson was a World Cup winning starter, he was a much better footballer than McTominay. It just didn’t work out for him in Europe. Cleverley was a more technically gifted footballer than mctominay also. He started in a league title winning campaign.

McTominay is more useful to our squad than those players, don’t get it twisted. I’m just talking about their footballing ability.

Shark

@NotShark
He's a 6/10 midfielder that very occasionally puts in a 8/10 performance. Nowhere near good enough to start consistently for United.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's not just his passing that's the problem though. He does not receive the ball from his defenders in a way that puts him in total control. He's also not quick enough on the ball. Matic is similar but Matic offsets this by being a clever manipulator of the ball. McTominay's not.
This is the biggest issue with McTominay. He has no awareness of what's happening around, he receives the most ball, turns and only then thinks what to do next. He has some good attributes and it shows when he doesn't have time to think.

I've been saying for a while, Matic should get his place in first XI. Not that it would've changed much today but McTominay has been very average for a while.

RUCK4444

Sh*t along with Fred tonight. Both limit us as a team especially with ball retention.

We could do with three midfielders to be honest.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Kleberson was a World Cup winning starter, he was a much better footballer than McTominay. It just didn’t work out for him in Europe. Cleverley was a more technically gifted footballer than mctominay also. He started in a league title winning campaign.

McTominay is more useful to our squad than those players, don’t get it twisted. I’m just talking about their footballing ability.
That is what i am trying to prove to Judas. They were better football players. Neither of them was good enough for club but they were midfielders who could actually pass the ball and control it. McT doesn't have skill whatsoever. Call me old fashioned but techinque and skill should be priority to any player who plays in midfield. Especially in Man Utd

clarkydaz

That is what i am trying to prove to Judas. They were better football players. Neither of them was good enough for club but they were midfielders who could actually pass the ball and control it. McT doesn't have skill whatsoever. Call me old fashioned but techinque and skill should be priority to any player who plays in midfield. Especially in Man Utd
He plays for us due to his height. if he was a foot shorter he wouldnt serve a purpose

Rojow

Why can't we have some holding midfielders. None of McTominay or Fred can hold the ball. They always have trouble under pressure and you just can't rely on them having a good pass forward on that situations. It's really sad not be more technical in this part of our team.

RedIan

Poor game (again) MCT is at best a squad player. If we want to win titles we can not continue with MCT AND FRED. They wouldnt even make the bench at city.
hes had 1 very good game this season (LEEDS) But generally bang average at best

Robindinho

Said it a couple of weeks ago and I’ll say it again... he’s bang average.

Please someone tell me what he’s good at/why he constantly plays. Because he’s tall and runs around a bit? (That running turns in to a jog though when chasing back or closing someone down).

A squad player at best. Shows where we’re at when he’s made 47 appearances this season.

Bird Nerd

Just a squad player. Nothing more. Unfortunate to have been pushed into a role that exposes him but hopefully we get someone like a Rice, etc. to play in his spot weekly.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is in poor form at the moment but I still think he has a future here. He is being asked to play a holding role that clearly doesnt suit him - all of his best performances and moments have tended to come further up the pitch. Furthermore he is being asked (especially tonight) to be some sort of deep lying playmaker, since has been on the left and Bruno is practically up front. This was another way in which we missed Maguire.

McTominay does a lot of things well. He can run with the ball, he can tackle and intercept, he can beat the press, he can shoot, he can win headers at both ends, he can shield the ball and be physical. His strengths are clearly not to be a playmaker, nor being really positionally disciplined.

The good thing is that it is easy to imagine what the perfect midfield partner for McTominay would be - basically a young Carrick. Someone who can hold their position and play the longer, more creative passes forward. I am confident that if you put McTominay next to a player of that sort of mould, it would be an excellent and well balanced partnership.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Said it a couple of weeks ago and I’ll say it again... he’s bang average.

Please someone tell me what he’s good at/why he constantly plays. Because he’s tall and runs around a bit? (That running turns in to a jog though when chasing back or closing someone down).

A squad player at best. Shows where we’re at when he’s made 47 appearances this season.
Passion. And runs a lot with passion. Plus he has a lot of passion which makes him through and through United player. Because he plays with passion.

Idxomer

The good thing is that it is easy to imagine what the perfect midfield partner for McTominay would be - basically a young Carrick. Someone who can hold their position and play the longer, more creative passes forward. I am confident that if you put McTominay next to a player of that sort of mould, it would be an excellent and well balanced partnership.
No top club would be looking to find a partner for McTominay.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's not just his passing that's the problem though. He does not receive the ball from his defenders in a way that puts him in total control. He's also not quick enough on the ball. Matic is similar but Matic offsets this by being a clever manipulator of the ball. McTominay's not.
This x100

He has so many limitations on the ball.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Better him than Fred. In an ideal world we would have two homegrown world class midfielders a-la Scholes and Keane. Sadly we don’t, and there is no chance of us buying two starting midfielders - we have other issues to address.

Skills

Snitch
Exactly. If you set your team up to give Scott McTominay the freedom to do what he wants rather than the actually talented midfielders out there, you're off your head.

McTominay's level of talent, makes him a water carrier at any top club. He needs to be the one plugging the gaps for the more talented players around him - you don't try an accommodate a player with McTominay's base level of talent/ability.

Skills

Snitch
Better him than Fred. In an ideal world we would have two homegrown world class midfielders a-la Scholes and Keane. Sadly we don’t, and there is no chance of us buying two starting midfielders - we have other issues to address.
If you amputated Fred's left foot, he'd still have more ability than McTominay.

roonaldo78

Why did he suddenly start playing the long passes? It was several long passes one after the other which just went out of play or to their keeper.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Amputating Fred’s feet might actually improve his performances. You might be onto something there.

Every game without fail Fred concedes chances or goals through sheer stupidity at the back. He either passes straight to the opponent, or plays his teammates into trouble. He also contributes zero in attack.

From the games I’ve been watching, McTominay is rarely directly responsible for the goals we concede, and he can also chip in a few himself at the other end when he gets the chance to go forward. These chances are rare because we lack a holding midfielder. Even if we signed one though, Fred would still make those idiotic passes, and still contribute nothing in attack.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He has regressed. I don't think he will survive under a different manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's had a terrible season, he had a purple patch and seems to have regressed since then, what a shame.

El Jefe

Has an awful first touch and can't pass. Any midfielder with these limitations would struggle to be in the league but to his credit he's very good at other things and that why he's here. The problem is that he's a starter, when he clearly doesn't have the ability to be a first choice player here, at least not yet anyway.

Trex

Like Lingard to limited to be any more than a squad player, I really hope we're going for a DM this summer.

tjb

Don't know why some have taken that tangent. Fred looked bad today because he at least tried to get on the ball unlike Scott peak-a-boo Mctominay.

Devil may care

Comparing him and Fred is fairly pointless, neither are good enough if we intend to challenge for the PL, his passing tonight was dogshit, he's more physical and imposing than Gibson and Cleverley but his talent level is about the same.

tjb

This is the reason I believe in loans, We have had too many players since SAF retired that came from the academy or were bought young that have never proven to be any better than starters outside the top 6. When we buy players this window, we may need to start making the process to join the United first team more rigorous.

always_hoping

He only had a 66% passing accuracy tonight and lost possession 12 times. The experiment of playing him as a defensive midfielder needs to stop.

lex talionis

McTominay has definitely had a forgettable run of performances since the Leeds match. I like him as a squad player for us but this is an area where an upgrade is needed.

Silas

From the games I’ve been watching, McTominay is rarely directly responsible for the goals we concede, and he can also chip in a few himself at the other end when he gets the chance to go forward. These chances are rare because we lack a holding midfielder. Even if we signed one though, Fred would still make those idiotic passes, and still contribute nothing in attack.
Hard to be at fault when you don't do anything 90% of the time. If I spent most matches hiding behind the opposition, I wouldn't make mistakes either.

Champagne Football

Both Fred and McT are showing signs of fatigue. I think the hope was that Pogba and Van de Beek would share central midfield duties and rotate with Fred and McT, but Ole has stuck with the McFred combo in a double pivot in most games this season, as they are the only 2 midfielders at the club he can trust in a double pivot.

Both have been off the boil for a while now, both limited players, but who make up for limitations with high energy performances when on form.

Ole no doubt will do all he can to land another midfielder to add more quality to our technically limited midfield.

The Oracle

The problem we have with McTominay, is that he is Fergie's 'golden lad' in the team.

Fergie convinced McTominay to represent Scotland and not England. That kind of loyalty is gold to Fergie.

There is no way that Solskjaer removes McTominay from the first team - because of his relationship with Fergie.

We are stuck with McTominay whether we like it or not.
So it is something that we may as well get used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.