5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RopersReturn

He’s a workhorse kind of midfielder who’ll never stop running, but as previously mentioned, he’s the new Kevin Nolan.
I think he’d have done well at Hull City under Phil Browns stewardship, like Maguire did a few years ago.

Last edited:

Mmm-Qatarian

I'm not a particularly big fan of McTominay but I don't consider now to be the time to think about selling him. Even if we were to bring in two deep-lying midfielders this summer (which at present seems far from guaranteed), we'd still be one or two injuries away from needing him as cover.

Our midfield is criminally light right now; having already lost Matic and Pogba this summer I don't think we should be looking to sell any more pivot midfielders.

MUFC OK

Why the feck are we getting these stories about Maguire and Mctominay. Both definitely have friends in high places at the club. Worst two players on the team by a distance. Sick to death of this PR. Only afforded to the players that need it as well.

Robindinho

De Jong imminent, let's push out some Mctominay PR :rolleyes: ... Don't know how he's seen as integral when he's not even had a training session with Ten Hag yet.

I'd be shocked if he's more than a squad player... De Jong is likely to play the deepest, so he's competing for the 2 positions ahead with Fred/Bruno/VdB/Eriksen*.

Marwood

Why the feck are we getting these stories about Maguire and Mctominay. Both definitely have friends in high places at the club. Worst two players on the team by a distance. Sick to death of this PR. Only afforded to the players that need it as well.
Because people react to stories about Maguire and McTominay.

They're making stuff up to get you to click. If they produced the same story about Levitt nobody would bother reading on.

Tibs

We'll take De Jong, and lets give Barca Maguire and McT and a fiver

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I like his attitude but I think he's piss poor. Cant understand why EtH wants to keep him.

Aeryis

Hopefully not as a pivot, now that Frenkie is coming. McTominay's strengths are more suited for a sort of box-to-box role.
Box to box midfielders should still know how to pass and in general be good with the ball. Mctominay can't pass, can't dribble, and can't do anything a midfielder's expected to do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Whatever position he is played, he will need to be good on the ball. If you are going to convert McTominay to a RB, why the hell not just play Wan Bissaka?

Highfather_24

Whatever position he is played, he will need to be good on the ball. If you are going to convert McTominay to a RB, why the hell not just play Wan Bissaka?
Fair point. I dont rate McTominay on the ball at all, but I think he might do better than AWB there, who I have zero hopes for.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair point. I dont rate McTominay on the ball at all, but I think he might do better than AWB there, who I have zero hopes for.
I’m almost certain that McTominay is not a better right back than Wan-Bissaka.

Highfather_24

I’m almost certain that McTominay is not a better right back than Wan-Bissaka.
If they are playing as a traditional RB, I agree 100%.

Maybe he will move into a back 3 when we have the ball, similar to how Blind was used by ETH. McT has played in a back 3 before, and I think he's good as a CB in a back 3, or a box to box 8, but not as a DM.

Regardless, I would have preferred we sold him. Just think if we are keeping him, we might try him there.

Last edited:

Herman Toothrot

De Jong imminent, let's push out some Mctominay PR :rolleyes: ... Don't know how he's seen as integral when he's not even had a training session with Ten Hag yet.

I'd be shocked if he's more than a squad player... De Jong is likely to play the deepest, so he's competing for the 2 positions ahead with Fred/Bruno/VdB/Eriksen*.
Tin foil hat brigade is back in full force. Yeah, so Scotty saw DJ was on his way and thought 'I know, let's get a newspaper on the phone and tell them I'm part of the plans and then I'll be part of the plans'. Think what you like, but your conspiracy is a wet fart.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve just had enough of him. How many seasons am I going to have to endure watching a Manchester United team with Scott McTominay as a midfielder regular? The Cleverley thing was over very quickly at least. I watch McTominay line up for us almost every week, with his defenders telling me it is not a problem because he is just a squad player.

He needs to be sold to save us from ourselves.

Oranges038

I’ve just had enough of him. How many seasons am I going to have to endure watching a Manchester United team with Scott McTominay as a midfielder regular? The Cleverley thing was over very quickly at least. I watch McTominay line up for us almost every week, with his defenders telling me it is not a problem because he is just a squad player.

He needs to be sold to save us from ourselves.
You'd think 4 years would be enough for people to see that he's not good enough.

Then again some people on here think it is up to the manager to get the best out of him. Same goes for Rashford, Martial, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, Dalot etc etc.

ETH is going to have to try and do what Mourinho, Ole and Steve Clarke have all failed to do so far. That is make McTominay look like a midfield player capable of playing at the highest level.

copen1945

Last season, only De Gea, Bruno, and Maguire had more starts than McTominay. I will expect similar start numbers and hope to be pleasantly surprised if something otherwise happens.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Last season, only De Gea, Bruno, and Maguire had more starts than McTominay. I will expect similar start numbers and hope to be pleasantly surprised if something otherwise happens.
‘Squad player’.

city-puma

McT developed positively every season. It’s foolish not to see the importance of him to the team. He will partner FDJ by ETH. It’s obvious.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
McT developed positively every season. It’s foolish not to see the importance of him to the team. He will partner FDJ by ETH. It’s obvious.
Yeah, some serious progression every season that has culminated in 26 passes in a 90 minute game. Like the modern day Zico, just brilliant.

city-puma

Yeah, some serious progression every season that has culminated in 26 passes in a 90 minute game. Like the modern day Zico, just brilliant.
You should also list how many his teammates made in that game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A player that would land in the bottom half of the table if he walked out. Have a word with yourself mate. This is Manchester United. He’s no important part of any top side. He’s one of the luckiest men in football. Whatever happens in his career from now on, he’ll retire having played hundreds of games for United when really, his Wiki could have easily said Sunderland and nobody would have cared.

Tarrou

the obvious outcome of signing FDJ is that McTominay gets pushed out to a squad player role, surely?

how is he starting ahead of Fred for ETH?

city-puma

the obvious outcome of signing FDJ is that McTominay gets pushed out to a squad player role, surely?

how is he starting ahead of Fred for ETH?
Most likely Fred will play in a diamond midfield. Fred + FDJ as dual-pivot is a no go setup for most EPL games because one of them will have to play on the right side. Btw, I rate Fred highly and am curious how ETH will use him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Most likely Fred will play in a diamond midfield. Fred + FDJ as dual-pivot is a no go setup for most EPL games because one of them will have to play on the right side. Btw, I rate Fred highly and am curious how ETH will use him.
Why would we play a diamond in midfield? There's been no indication of that at all.

Robindinho

Not obvious at all... Ever since Ten Hag was appointed, all that we've heard/been briefed is how midfield is the priority and needs upgrading, sort midfield before anything else can be progressed etc - think that tells you, he's not happy with our current options.

How does Mctominay fit in to Ten Hag's philosophy, with his limited passing ability and lack of movement/showing for the ball?

city-puma

Why would we play a diamond in midfield? There's been no indication of that at all.
Diamond midfield is what he could set us up in certain games. I am sure he will have several setups used by needs between games and in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.