5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

It’s crazy to me how much flack Fred gets when McTom is the reason we have no control in midfield. The guy barely shows for the ball and often takes up positions where he can’t receive the ball.
Exactly this. Does my head in. Especially Keane is a culprit for finding all kind of excsues for Scott (learning his trade as a 25 year old?) but really digging into Fred.

Mike Smalling

It’s crazy to me how much flack Fred gets when McTom is the reason we have no control in midfield. The guy barely shows for the ball and often takes up positions where he can’t receive the ball.
100% agree. For all of Fred's limitations, he is a much better player than McTominay.

OneUnited24

100% agree. For all of Fred's limitations, he is a much better player than McTominay.
Completely agree. What’s interesting this season is how poor mctoms work rate is. Last season you’d see him cover so much of the pitch which masked his failings but this season it’s there for everyone to see

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought McTominay played ok yesterday. Showed the discipline that Fred lacks - maybe he'll get there with the DM role in time. Not holding my breath of course but he needs a class player to learn from on that front not Fred.

OneUnited24

Thought McTominay played ok yesterday. Showed the discipline that Fred lacks - maybe he'll get there with the DM role in time. Not holding my breath of course but he needs a class player to learn from on that front not Fred.
All the best DMs aren’t scared to go into defence and split the CBs to get onto the ball and create passing lanes. McTom doesn’t ever do that

abkmufc92

Such a shame Mourinho chose to promote this guy, the most untalented player to come out of our academy just to prove a point that he uses youth players.

MalaysianRed7

Just blocked Mark Goldbridge on Instagram, probably the most famous person who criticises him regularly considering Neville, Souness and Keane never lay a finger on him while constantly attacking Fred and Pogba (wonder why).

Just shows the mentality of the man. He’s an arrogant person who can’t take constructive criticism, because as far as I’m aware Goldbridge has never made it personal with him.

His footballing ability is relegation battling level as well. We know he can’t pass, but I’ve never seen a supposedly tenacious and big midfielder as weak in the tackle as him in my life.

TwoSheds

Just blocked Mark Goldbridge on Instagram, probably the most famous person who criticises him regularly considering Neville, Souness and Keane never lay a finger on him while constantly attacking Fred and Pogba (wonder why).

Just shows the mentality of the man. He’s an arrogant person who can’t take constructive criticism, because as far as I’m aware Goldbridge has never made it personal with him.

His footballing ability is relegation battling level as well. We know he can’t pass, but I’ve never seen a supposedly tenacious and big midfielder as weak in the tackle as him in my life.
The drama! :lol:

red4ever 79

Oh my life. He hides from the ball. When the cb has it he runs behind where the opponent is. As bad as Fred and together they are terrible

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have some oleyers who wouldn't play under a progressive coach and he's one of them.

TwoSheds

We have some oleyers who wouldn't play under a progressive coach and he's one of them.
As a squad player he would. If the tactics are bad and he's not being told to do what he should be, it's hard to know whether he can get better given what you lot are complaining about is a pretty simple adjustment.

Brophs

The One and Only
Every player has a ceiling beyond which effort and physical robustness doesn’t have the same effect. This sort of thing will happen to McTominay as long as he’s this far off the technical level of the players he’s up against. His touch is heavy, he doesn’t seem able to take the ball on the half turn and he’s becoming more of a target for other teams’ pressing. He’s a good lad but it looks like this has come a little early for him (if he even can get to the required level).

JoaquinJoaquin

Gibson was better, and that is saying something. Absolute nothing player who has no business being at the club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I disagree. I think his level is much better than what he is showing. Under a new manager and getting his confidence back we will see a better player

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he'd be a better CB in a back 3 to be honest, I'm not convinced he truly wants to receive the ball all the time in midfield. Tends to hide behind opposition players and is probably better at dribbling than passing.

United in sin

I think he'd be a better CB in a back 3 to be honest, I'm not convinced he truly wants to receive the ball all the time in midfield. Tends to hide behind opposition players and is probably better at dribbling than passing.
If he's unwilling to receive the ball-especially when under pressure- then he has no business being a CB in any formation. His positioning is also terrible

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If he's unwilling to receive the ball-especially when under pressure- then he has no business being a CB in any formation. His positioning is also terrible
CBs have the least amount of pressure to deal with because they can always cut back to the keeper. Or they can hoof it.

Litch

.....I think the manager picks him for what he stands for, not what he is. Fred maybe isn't the standard required but Scott doesn't help Fred's cause. When you are covering twice the amount of ground, your partner has disappeared and Bruno is so far up the pitch, he should be playing falsh 9, that leaves you not only carrying your shite, but others too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's played their for Scotland and actually been pretty good. There's a also huge difference receiving the ball in midfield to at CB as @VanDeBank says. As well as postitoning in a 3 is far easier than a CM in a two.

JoaquinJoaquin

He's played their for Scotland and actually been pretty good. There's a also huge difference receiving the ball in midfield to at CB as @VanDeBank says. As well as postitoning in a 3 is far easier than a CM in a two.
We shouldn't have to be accommodating such limited players though. This is Man Utd after all.

golden_blunder

Staff
Has about 1 good game out of 10, plays like he belongs in the Championship.
Oh stop with the championship nonsense. Its been said for O’Shea, Fletcher, James and now you’ve thrown it at McTominay. It’s just hyperbole
Keep your criticism constructive

GlasgowCeltic

.....I think the manager picks him for what he stands for, not what he is. Fred maybe isn't the standard required but Scott doesn't help Fred's cause. When you are covering twice the amount of ground, your partner has disappeared and Bruno is so far up the pitch, he should be playing falsh 9, that leaves you not only carrying your shite, but others too.
Agree, the manager adores the romantic idea of Mctominay and seemingly ignores the reality, happens with Rashford too to a lesser extent

Idxomer

I think he's been a mixed bag at best for Scotland as a CB, I watched him at the Euros basically having the same problems when he's in midfield and caused many problems with his poor passing.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
You could accept the fact that he offers basically nothing going forward if he was even half decent defensively, but he isn't, he just jogs about the pitch pointing at random things, so what's the point?

Seriously Ole, what's the point? What are you seeing in McTominay's game that makes him one of the first names in the teamsheet for one of the biggest clubs in the world?
Enlighten me.

Danny

CBs have the least amount of pressure to deal with because they can always cut back to the keeper. Or they can hoof it.
Not sure this is true in reality. If a CB makes a mistake with a pass or gets dispossessed then it invariably leads to a goal. They have to get their passes right and if they don't it invites even more pressure the next time

Glorio

Really poor player in my opinion but Fred gets the blame. Once Fred came off against City, I knew all hope was lost of winning the ball back. He justs runs parallel to opposition players in possession, and does that half hop when the ball is passed. Rarely commits to an actual tackle and apart from a few games where he chooses to run with the ball bravely, he does little with it.

Gordon Godot

Really poor player in my opinion but Fred gets the blame. Once Fred came off against City, I knew all hope was lost of winning the ball back. He justs runs parallel to opposition players in possession, and does that half hop when the ball is passed. Rarely commits to an actual tackle and apart from a few games where he chooses to run with the ball bravely, he does little with it.
Sadly another overhyped youth product. The odd game cannot hide his shortcomings, especially his tendency to hide. Lacks the technical abiltiy and awareness to play in central midfield. Perhaps a squad player at best. Hard to see how he gets minutes ahead of VDB.

pawanraj

Keep saying McTominay is dollar store Gerrard. He is passionate, needs the ball passed to him, and space to run with it. But no vision or fight. Ideally we'd play him only occasionally, on the right of the midfield three or even out wider where he has space to run in to and doesn't have to worry about positioning as much.

Instead we keep playing him in central midfield where he doesn't fight for the ball, hides from passes, and has poor positioning.

For me, he is a big reason our midfield and defense get swamped. Him being a training cone causes the entire backline to move with AWB, leaving us vulnerable to switches. It is painfully obvious to me, I am sure our coaches can see it too. But I guess Scotty has Ole's n*des or something.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he's been a mixed bag at best for Scotland as a CB, I watched him at the Euros basically having the same problems when he's in midfield and caused many problems with his poor passing.
Fair enough, I thought he was alright when I have watched him there, but maybe not watched him enough for Scotland to get a fair representation.
We shouldn't have to be accommodating such limited players though. This is Man Utd after all.
I agree, I think he should be no more than a squad player if he is to stay.

Jaykespeare88

Such a shame Mourinho chose to promote this guy, the most untalented player to come out of our academy just to prove a point that he uses youth players.
Suited Mou's ethos, big hefty unquestioning lump. His not good enough to be a starter, bit he has shown in certain games really good characteristics, quick turns to get out of trouble, strength, desire and commitment, I feel it he does a good thing, then when he needs to lay it off he tries to do a bit more and ends up losing it. I think the whole team is struggling in terms of confidence, the managers frailties are manifesting in the players not willing to take risks/ no confidence to play.

Last edited:

Winrar

Oh stop with the championship nonsense. Its been said for O’Shea, Fletcher, James and now you’ve thrown it at McTominay. It’s just hyperbole
Keep your criticism constructive
I mean, let's be honest. What's he supposed to be good at for a CM/DM at this level? Can't pass, can't mark, can't read the game for what seems to be 9 out of 10 games. Even his supposed strength in running and aggression was nowhere to be found in one of the most important games of the season. Folds to pressure.

I can't understand why he keeps starting game after game other than Ole personally preferring him.

Just like Daniel James, I don't dislike him as a person at all, I just think he does not belong at Manchester United because he hasn't consistently shown he has the skills to make it at this level of the game.

Also Fletcher and O'Shea were better players than McT so if anyone wants to call them Championship level then that's their problem.

golden_blunder

Staff
I mean, let's be honest. What's he supposed to be good at for a CM/DM at this level? Can't pass, can't mark, can't read the game for what seems to be 9 out of 10 games. Even his supposed strength in running and aggression was nowhere to be found in one of the most important games of the season. Folds to pressure.

I can't understand why he keeps getting game after game other than Ole personally preferring him.

Just like Daniel James, I don't dislike him as a person at all, I just think he does not belong at this level of the game.

Also Fletcher and O'Shea were better players than McT so if anyone wants to call them Championship level then that's their problem.
None of the first teamers are “championship level”. That’s just nonsense

El__Jingo

Thankfull we are starting to see some fans realising he is worse than Fred, Fred might not be the answer but hed be fine as a squad player. where do people see a scenario where united would need to bring on McTominay if he was on the bench? if we are holding out with 20 minutes to go Matic is a far better player to bring on, so i dont even see where he has a future with this club? which brings me on to the point.. where exactly would he go ? i seen someone before say how ridiculous it is to say he's a championship player.. why is that disrespectful? if billy gilmour aint getting in norwich's team much where does mctominay? talk sense now and see him for what he is

United in sin

@VanDeBank says. As well as postitoning in a 3 is far easier than a CM in a two.
@Lash

Try telling that to Harry Maguire. McTominay was suspect for Scotland at the back after the young Gilmour replaced him in midfield for the England game at the Euros.

Smalling was accused of not looking comfortable receiving the ball. It was one of the most overstated criticisms against him, for instance.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Aye, it's probably a better position for him. He's too technically limited on the ball and personally I think his body movements are too rigid for midfield, it makes him too predictable when he gets the ball as to what way he's going to move and where his touch is going.

There are players who just prefer to have the game in front of them. He is one of them.
It's why he's better and running through midfield onto the play and passing out through the lines when he receives the ball facing forward. He's not comfortable or brave enough in taking the ball facing his own goal that's probably why he doesn't look for it.

432JuanMata

He would not be out of place in The Championship.
He really is like United under Ole. You can tell he is not good enough and his performances show it then he will have a worldie and go back to his usual level.
I always see people here saying some of our players are Championship level like Lingard for example then he went to West Ham and showed his quality at that level. But as you said and I 100% agree, Scott wouldn’t stand out in the Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.