5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

sure. Because operating at center back for them mysteriously makes him less important. Because supposedly a Scotland would rather have its few good players sitted on the bench rather than find a way to put all their good players into the team to its greater benefit
yes. He is an attacking b2b player so putting him CB is rather amusing

TsuWave

Listens to his tactical instruction, which clearly appears to be more about staying back and covering the defense, than running around like a headless chicken a-la Fred.

Aouer-United

Some good defensive contribution but thought he was the worst player on the pitch after Rashford. Non-existent in possession. When they pressed us so hard in first half, Mctominay goes into hiding

IrishMcD

If i was playing for Manchester United, this is exactly how I would play. Full of effort, constantly off the pace, consistently out of position and making controlling a football and making a forward pass look as difficult as teaching a goldfish to play the trumpet.

L1nk

Hope he never plays for this club ever again, backwards pass after backwards pass completely nullifying our quick attacks, Rangnick won't suffer that

Zoo

Anyone notice how game after game we misplace simple passes because he doesn’t position himself correctly?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Horrible, non-existant and useless.
Couldnt wait to get in there eh? I suspect there will be a few more.

Fairly solid but unexceptional game. Defensive positioning still suspect and is a side of his game he needs to work on. I maintain he - like Fred - plays much better when higher up the pitch and with more license to roam. Will see whether Rangnick tries to free him up, or continue Carricks apparent plan of trying to mould him into a DM/RCB - I would prefer the former.

Skills

Snitch
Couldnt wait to get in there eh? I suspect there will be a few more.

Fairly solid but unexceptional game. Defensive positioning still suspect and is a side of his game he needs to work on. I maintain he - like Fred - plays much better when higher up the pitch and with more license to roam. Will see whether Rangnick tries to free him up, or continue Carricks apparent plan of trying to mould him into a DM/RCB - I would prefer the former.
Of all the midfielders in the world you can buy for £10m or more, and you give a talentless hack like McTominay the freedom to roam in the attacking 3rd :lol:

Bobski

He had a very active first half defensively and passed the ball well in the second half. However only the things he didn't do well matter.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think that i have no words anymore to decribe how awful he is.

Looking at other midfield starters in PL (outside top trio). There are so so many players who are levels above him.

Roboc7

He just goes missing for huge spells in majority of games, especially for first hour or so. Needs to take a look at Fred’s effort and determination and at least if he does that he’ll be more involved even if the quality is lacking.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
From the moment he got the yellow, he was way too passive and that's exactly his issue. He can only harass people , foul them and run but once you are asked to play a relaxed game , he isn't good enough.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Of all the midfielders in the world you can buy for £10m or more, and you give a talentless hack like McTominay the freedom to roam in the attacking 3rd :lol:
I honestly sympathize for him because Carrick seems to have been trying for ages (i.e. under Ole as well) to turn him into a holding DM, which is just not his game whatsoever and shines a light on his worst qualities - defensive positioning and reading of the game.

If used correctly - a more attacking #8 role - Scott can be a very effective player, but we arent seeing that right now. I think he has done alright the last couple of games - much better than the Caf would claim - but he just looks like he isnt entirely comfortable in the role he is being asked to play. On the occasions he got further up the pitch or was able to carry the ball forward from midfield, he looked good. It will be interesting to see what Rangnick chooses to do with him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I honestly sympathize for him because Carrick seems to have been trying for ages (i.e. under Ole as well) to turn him into a holding DM, which is just not his game whatsoever and shines a light on his worst qualities - defensive positioning and reading of the game.

If used correctly - a more attacking #8 role - Scott can be a very effective player, but we arent seeing that right now. I think he has done alright the last couple of games - much better than the Caf would claim - but he just looks like he isnt entirely comfortable in the role he is being asked to play. On the occasions he got further up the pitch or was able to carry the ball forward from midfield, he looked good. It will be interesting to see what Rangnick chooses to do with him.
"Very effective" is a bit generous, but in principle I agree his best position is some sort of high energy #8 that does a job similar to James Milner or someone. He's a solid carrier of the ball and has a good strike on him, but is pathetically limited creatively when the pass isn't completely obvious to him and he's poor technically distributing the ball. Problem is we don't really have a role for any sort of #8 currently unless we truly switch to a 433 with Bruno actually playing as a CM (doubtful).

It's like the staff just sees a big bloke and thinks "he'll be great as a DM" instead of actually looking at the players qualities.

Kostov

Got a stupid yellow once again and than like he wasn’t even playing. Cleared some mess in the first half to compensate for his partner who was on a one man mission to lose the game, but unfortunately he is of the same ilk.

Siorac

I think he's been OK by his own standards. Couple of nice passes out to Dalot, some important tackles and clearances.

The problem is the usual: he just doesn't get involved enough, games tend to pass him by.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Playing as useless player for sometime. Usually fouls while tackling. Passes are mostly backward even attacking option is available. Most of the passes are overhit. Can dribble once or twice in a game. Heavy touch most of the time.

Not sure if he has any future. Maybe good coaching will turn him into a decent player

Idxomer

I think he's been OK by his own standards. Couple of nice passes out to Dalot, some important tackles and clearances.

The problem is the usual: he just doesn't get involved enough, games tend to pass him by.
Agreed.

He has raised his level a bit the last couple of games but he's still very far off what we want to see from a United midfielder.

Better from him, as though Carrick has told him he needs to get more involved, but still not good enough. He never covers the space when Fred goes to press, he's oblivious to it.

The Hilton

Honestly I'm baffled by the stick he's getting tonight - his yellow was silly, but he won the ball back a lot and carried the ball forward well today. Struggled a little bit against the manic press for the first 20 minutes or so, but after that he regularly broke through.

Not world beating, but solid.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Agreed. He and Fred are better staying away from midfield two positions. Both are better with high energy play but less positioning and controlling.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
defensively was a bit better tonight but he still turned into Mcjoginay for their 2nd goal.

He has a habit of ball watching and forgetting he needs to get back into the box when defending, especially when they get in behind him.

AndersB

I can't believe what I'm seeing. People slating him after that match. Talk about having an agenda. He was really good first half, aggressive, won many important balls leading to breaks. Second half he was tidy enough. Can't remember mistakes he made either.

Ekeke

He did a lot defensively. 6 tackles, 1 interception, 3 clearances. More ball winning than we usually have from a DM

I wasnt impressed with him when we had the ball though. Didnt really try anything to hurt Arsenal, just kept it simple. Maguire was more adventurous coming forward from CB than McTominay was

Orange Tree

He has a good shot in him, why was it Maguire who went forward and took a shot.

He also needs to make himself available more often and takes more initiatives rather than passing the ball backwards.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's good at avoiding attention. There was a prime example around the 80th minute, where Arsenal were slowly passing on their left hand side, in their own half. Bruno and I think Sancho were trying to close down 3 players, so up runs McT. He's not really near anyone, but he makes it over the halfway line - still about 5 yards from anyone. Then a single decent pass and he's taken out of play, leaving us outnumbered, with Fred facing 2 attacking midfielders and the 2 CBs facing two forwards.

We know Fred is quick, aggressive and presses like a maniac. So why is it that teams find acres of space in front of our defence? Why are we conceding so many goals? Why when you watch us versus any other top team are opponents able to find pockets on the edge of our box?

There is an answer in here somewhere.

united for life

I can't believe what I'm seeing. People slating him after that match. Talk about having an agenda. He was really good first half, aggressive, won many important balls leading to breaks. Second half he was tidy enough. Can't remember mistakes he made either.
He had a good game, a very good game by his standards. I think the stick he gets is a result of the expectations of a player in that position. He is average defensively and lacks creativity going forward. What he has is lots of passion, but alone it doesn’t help. I mean, for manchester united, to bs able to lift the team to a place where we’re able to compete with chelsea, liverpool and city, we need an upgrade.

he is an average player who can be a squad player at best or maybe a starter in some other mid table team.

DarkXaero

He had more good moments today than he normally does but still extremely underwhelming off and on the ball too often. I'm hoping that we get to see VDB in place of him someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.