Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was one of the best of a very bad bunch. Fecking maddening how often he gets passes slightly wrong though. They go down as a completed pass but the recipient is almost never able to take it in their stride.
One reason I don't take passing stats seriously. They won't tell you if the pass was the correct pass or if it was a good pass.

United in sin

He sometimes has decent games when the team plays poorly as a whole. So strange. Both him and Fred need replacing in the starting 11

Valencia Shin Crosses

One reason I don't take passing stats seriously. They won't tell you if the pass was the correct pass or if it was a good pass.
Too many people don’t take this into account as well when talking about whether players are good in possession. I think it was Xavi or Scholes that talked about the best passers being those that could complete passes not only accurately, but with the correct weight and angle to aid the reciever of the pass to continue moving the ball along.

Then you watch McTominay and Maguire leave their teammates for fecking dead when they pass a little behind them when a press is on and it’s night and day difference

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His passing poor, he's part of the reason we don't control games. Also disappears in games far too often, you will rarely seen him in involved for a few minutes.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's just a bigger Tom Cleverley. When our centre backs have the ball, he does Cleverley's signature move of hiding behind an opposing player instead of moving and showing for the ball. If Fred is the runner and the presser, McT has to sit and be an outlet. His play is so cowardly in that regard.

VDB isn't a 6, and I doubt he is the answer long term, but surely he has to be better than what we're seeing from both McT and Fred, who are first pick every game.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Played well tonight in a poor team.
Certainly improving under the current manager.
Hopefully continues to improve.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Too many people don’t take this into account as well when talking about whether players are good in possession. I think it was Xavi or Scholes that talked about the best passers being those that could complete passes not only accurately, but with the correct weight and angle to aid the reciever of the pass to continue moving the ball along.

Then you watch McTominay and Maguire leave their teammates for fecking dead when they pass a little behind them when a press is on and it’s night and day difference
Exact same criticism I have levelled at Fred repeatedly. I dont think McTominay is particularly bad in this respect, although he is obviously not and never going to be a great passer. He has a few reliable passes that he does well - pinging it forward into the feet of the striker(s), and has been improving with things like switches of play in the last few matches too.

Thing I like about McTominay's performances under Rangnick is that when he receives the ball he at least seems to have a bit of urgency in moving it forward, whilst some others seem to just slow things down.

OverratedOpinion

Someone this bad on the ball is not suitable to play for a side that dominates possession.

That is not his fault, he tries his best but it just does not work.

Litch

If it's about not being Utd quality then attach that label to 100% of the players as not one would start in many of our prem winning teams. Replacing Fred and Scott would be as much worth as signing Varane and Sancho. The issues are much more entrenched than simply blaming the midfield, there is a culture of players that would sooner blame each other or anyone else but themselves.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Was arguably our best player in this match, although that's not saying all that much considering how poor everyone else was. It's a couple of fairly good games in a row now from him though with a very noticeable increase in how often he tries to pass the ball forwards.

KeanoMagicHat

Just nowhere near good enough on the ball for a top team. Puts in a good shift but we need more.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

I for one thought he was woeful, slow and lethargic without any passion. Did nothing to make us win the game.

I think he tries too hard to look cool and composed when he plays, like he was Zidane or Pirlo, who could control games and beat opponents walking. I mean he can run, sometimes drive with the ball, tackle and is a decent Roy Keane like passer- but he plays with no urgency which instantly drops him to a League 1 level.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Made 18 recoveries yesterday according to Fbref. Won 7 out of 10 aerial duels. Was involved in 23 press sequences yesterday with a 53 % success rate. In my opinion, our best player by some distance yesterday. Not saying he is without limitations.

MattofManchester

Made 18 recoveries yesterday according to Fbref. Won 7 out of 10 aerial duels. Was involved in 23 press sequences yesterday with a 53 % success rate. In my opinion, our best player by some distance yesterday. Not saying he is without limitations.
Cool, but that doesn't tell you how many times he sold a player short with his pass, how many times he made the wrong run, how exposed we were in midfield.
For all the stats people throw out, he didn't do much.

Also, De Gea was the best player.

Kostov

Jonjoe Shelvey is probably a better midfielder than this lad, and this is the guy that had to stay on while the partner had to be subbed off at half time. We are absolutely fecked.

Dan_F

Jonjoe Shelvey is probably a better midfielder than this lad, and this is the guy that had to stay on while the partner had to be subbed off at half time. We are absolutely fecked.
Maybe he’d have been better if he actually had a partner in the second half, instead of being expected to run the whole midfield by himself.

robinrooney

He's just a bigger Tom Cleverley. When our centre backs have the ball, he does Cleverley's signature move of hiding behind an opposing player instead of moving and showing for the ball. If Fred is the runner and the presser, McT has to sit and be an outlet. His play is so cowardly in that regard.

VDB isn't a 6, and I doubt he is the answer long term, but surely he has to be better than what we're seeing from both McT and Fred, who are first pick every game.
I've noticed he does this a LOT. Won't show himself in the space but hides behind oppo player so he can't get the ball.

Needs binning with Fred ASAP.

Ole spent £400m+ but never thought to replace McFred or an aging Matic. Madness

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Was arguably our best player in this match, although that's not saying all that much considering how poor everyone else was. It's a couple of fairly good games in a row now from him though with a very noticeable increase in how often he tries to pass the ball forwards.
Yeah, this is true. Looking for the ball between the lines a lot. This is good. I think in a more competent team performance, his own showing would have been excellent. Still has a few bad habits he needs to shake off but at least I feel he's paying attention in training.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think he was one of our better players yesterday. Not really good or exciting, but ok. Seems to me that he tries to not keep the ball as long anymore and hit more forward passes.
Can he ever be more than quite solid though? I don't know.

Woodenlung

I'm probably going to go against the consensus here, but I thought McTominay was dreadful. It's clear that his strengths lie in making forward runs towards the opposition goal and he actually was quite effective at that tonight.

But his ability to retain the ball or progress it is appalling. We had no control over that game against a pretty crap Burnely side. And he's not particularly effective shielding a defence either. So when he plays in a two man midfield it heaps so much pressure on his partner to do most of the actual work. Maybe he might flourish in a midfield 3? I don't know, but tonight, against a relegation threatened side like Burnley, he did nothing to suggest he can make the step up to becoming a genuinely good player.

acnumber9

One of his good ones. Which he has every few months. He suits a game where it’s a physical battle.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Low standards around these parts with how his performance is being rated. Saying that he was one of our better players and had a good first half.

Ekeke

Probably his best game for United. Has always been good when getting forward and shooting, but playing in the 4-2-3-1 we rarely ever saw him getting forward and do it. He was playing without his best skill. Both or midfielders seem to get forward more under Ralf and today that suited an impressive McTomminay

TSE123

Defensively McT was his usual self. Not particularly good. Didnt matter too much with matic and it being against burnley.
Attacking i thought he did very well!

el3mel

He was on fire today. Doesn't mean that I want him a permanent starter or that I'll forgive his invisible performance in other games but he deserves credit for today.

Red Stone

The long range efforts with the inside of his foot are world class. Feels like every time he has a pop it's a big goalscoring chance at the very least.

Marwood

As usual the key for Scott is making that performance his standard performance. That has to be his bottom level.

Bobski

Sloppy second half, get caught on the ball a few times, general loss of intensity, but excellent in the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.