Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Purley King

It was Varane. And by a distance
Wasn’t asking you, sunshine
I wouldn’t argue with that necessarily I thought varane was good but hard to reconcile a motm performance with a team that was clearly outplayed and gave up so many attempts at goal

El__Jingo

those comments by the manager are very worrying the lad being talked about as a future captain.. hes 25 and playing his part in one of the worst united teams in the PL era.

Where are the clubs standards? Same goes for some of the fans.. you'd never ever see Real/Barce have a player in such a pivotal role on the pitch.

Oranges038

McGinn outplayed and outfought him again. The goal and the shots don't mask his lack of control in midfield.
It was Neves and Moutinho last week, Johnjo Shelvey the week before, Gilmour and MacClean before that, Capoue, Cleverly, Koomeiners etc.. it's pretty much the same every week.

Him and Fred get out fought and out thought by most players they come up against.

OL29

Was good for the first 20-30 minutes, winning the ball in midfield and spraying long passes out to the wing. Kind of fell collapsed with the rest of the team but he’s been one of our better players under Rangnick.

NoPace

All those managers that like him have one thing in common, they have been sacked by us for producing god awful football, seems like we’re heading in the same direction again.
I'm rooting for Ten Hag over Pochettino just to get the club used to the idea that want the ball and being able to keep possession under pressure are good quality and not witchcraft.

When you add Bruno constantly turning it over (which I do think we can live with and the right manager could maybe address personally with Bruno and also make less of a problem tactically) how many teams have a midfield that would upset a Guardiola style manager more than ours in the Prem? Not more than 7 or 8.

I'm gonna start ranting about how if we'd given Moyes a few more years we'd actually be in better shape because we'd be hard to beat at least while still being unable to dominate games and keep the ball and get banned or swatted, I'm logging off.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If he's been one of our best performers since RR took over, how shite have the rest been?

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSeQPkcE7/

Failed to close down McGinn the first time round, then slowly jogged while watching McGinn line up. He even pointed out that someone needed to close the shot down.

Total lack of effort. For someone so technically limited, he should be working his ass off to compensate. Instead he jogs about like he's Zidane.

RooneyLegend

We have to try him at the back. There's no way he can have a future in midfield at our club. If he's not hiding, he's making terrible passes, if not that, he's not aware of where opposition players are who are trying to take the ball away. This just won't work.

Foxbatt

I thought he was good earlier on especially in attack but his defending was bad and Fred did not help it at all. He is not good enough.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Gotta love his thirst for attack and hunger for goals, but he needs to be more consistently better at attack and his defensive work is simply abysmal for a top club we aspire to be.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His facial reactions when he pops off a half-decent volley every once in a while reeks of an average player surprising himself

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Scott is good box to box or attacking midfielder.
Excellent positioning on set pieces, good long range shot, has a through ball in him.
DM he is not.
He is asked to do things he is bad at. With a proper DM and a more attacking role, he will be great.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Excellent positioning on set pieces, good long range shot, has a through ball in him.
DM he is not.
He is asked to do things he is bad at. With a proper DM and a more attacking role, he will be great.
I tend to agree with this. Both him and Fred are squares asked to be perfect circles and then take criticism for it. They don’t work as a pairing in a 2. I don’t know why our managers constantly think that they do.

TSE123

DM he is not.
I tend to agree with this. Both him and Fred are squares asked to be perfect circles and then take criticism for it. They don’t work as a pairing in a 2. I don’t know why our managers constantly think that they do.
100% correct. I actually went to this thread to write exactly this, but you saved me the effort. :) I'm not trusted with liking posts yet, but would have done so if I could.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I absolutely love Mctominay.

I've seen so many more average midfielders at United starting matches than him.

For me, it's not his fault that we lack World Class midfielders that puts him in his "righteous position" at the club. Good player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I absolutely love Mctominay.

I've seen so many more average midfielders at United starting matches than him.

For me, it's not his fault that we lack World Class midfielders that puts him in his "righteous position" at the club. Good player.
Name one. Who was midfielder who started games for us and was worse than McT? I will accept players who were only rotation players too

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Name one. Who was midfielder who started games for us and was worse than McT? I will accept players who were only rotation players too
Cleverley, Schneiderlin, Bastian, Pereira, Fellaini from the recent ones.

GlasgowCeltic

He can have a solid midtable career grabbing the odd goal while others do his midfield work, like Kevin Nolan

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First 30 mins or so he was playing very well. Hit some beautiful passes and some good shots.

He then did his usual trick of switching off defensively and let Mcginn have a piss easy shot under no pressure, then proceeded to start mishitting every pass.

He's very odd in the way he can go from looking like the next Micheal Ballack to Bebe in a number of minutes.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
First 30 mins or so he was playing very well. Hit some beautiful passes and some good shots.

He then did his usual trick of switching off defensively and let Mcginn have a piss easy shot under no pressure, then proceeded to start mishitting every pass.

He's very odd in the way he can go from looking like the next Micheal Ballack to Bebe in a number of minutes.
Pretty much.

I want him in the squad though, I just don't think he should be in the first XI.

Idxomer

None of these players have played in midfield for United as much as him, Fellaini and Celeverly were also better players than him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Same Cleverley who looked like Zidane playing against McT month ago? Fellaini? Fellaini was much better player for us than McT.
Others never were starters or regular players.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Pretty much agree with this, thought first 30 mins he was going to have one of those games where he is class, but then it all went to pot and we just got completely over ran. He can spray the ball about quite well when not under pressure, but he really isn’t the quality United should be relying on as a 1st 11 player if we want to win things.

Ixion

Would love if it his game highlights weren't being muscled off the ball, ran through, dispossessed, giving the ball away etc. The goal was nice but being more reliable in possession and shielding the defense is what we need.

KingCavani

Clearly more of a number 8 who needs more of a licence to push on. He's got a very good shooting technique but he doesn't get in those positions often enough and his physicality would cause real problem for defenders if he could make those late runs into the box.

The hatred he gets from our fanbase is disgusting. He's the least of our problems. A good player and every manager has loved him for good reason.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair he’s not really our biggest problem right now. It’s just him and Fred have inconsistency which is part of problem if we want to challenge the league. The biggest problem right now is that our attackers are off form (all of them). I would like to see how our current team are running when Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, and Rashford are performing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Seriously, what is up with our club? This is all while the likes of Modric, Vidal, Kdb, Thiago, Kroos and so on were changing clubs and some on cheap deals. We are just so terrible at spotting up and coming first team talent or when we spot it we drop the ball or spend the summer chasing Fabregas or Bale. Christ! If we just swapped cities DOF and gave them the same money we’ve spend we’d currently be dominating the game.

Bruno. That’s pretty much all we’ve got to show for in the market since 2013

FerociousCorgis

consistency will never be there from him to be a top CM. Standards have fallen so much for this club. Would be a good squad option to keep around but that should be it. Future club captain? Feck me man.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Alan Smith, Phil Neville, possibly Fortune, O'Shea, Kieran Richardson, Darron Gibson (although he could have been class if not for the booze/attitude/whatever it was).

El__Jingo

Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Alan Smith, Phil Neville, possibly Fortune, O'Shea, Kieran Richardson, Darron Gibson (although he could have been class if not for the booze/attitude/whatever it was).

did you actually ever watch united ? kleberson is a world cup winning midfieder, djemba djemba probably started about 10 games.. alan smith was 10 x the player, watch any united arsenal game where phil neville played cm and tell me youve ever seen McT have a performace like that . Fortune.. the LB ? who played a few in midfield..at a time we had keane scholes butt etc.. oshea. is 100 x the player he is, richardson .. again a left back..and another who never played 150 apps for the club and to finish off darren gibson performed in important CL games for us..and has far more technical ability.

the only one in that list is Djemba Djemba.. and he didnt play a 1/4 of the games McT has.

The Mediocre this fan base accept now is astonishing, we have a lad who in past years would never ever had played 5 games for this club being talked about as a future captain.

whats worse is fans who claim hed be decent further up the pitch...so we want to be in for the likes of Haaland for him to be supplied ammunition by Mctominay.. wake the f up will ya

DM he is not.
I agree with this BUT as a box to box or attacking midfielder he is not good enough either. He's decent at running forward through the midfield but there's a lot more to that job than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.