5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie092

When he is good he is actually good. The issue is he is not consistent enough, he will pull a 9 out of 10 one game then a 4 out of 10 the very next. The other issue is he is clearly not a number 6 as he is bypassed way too easily there but is so much more at home as a number 8 with the license to go from box to box with an actually number 6 behind him.

May work against certain oppositions like the lesser teams in the league but against the very best I don't think he has the ability to control games.

DaveinToronto

When he is good he is actually good. The issue is he is not consistent enough, he will pull a 9 out of 10 one game then a 4 out of 10 the very next. The other issue is he is clearly not a number 6 as he is bypassed way too easily there but is so much more at home as a number 8 with the license to go from box to box with an actually number 6 behind him.

May work against certain oppositions like the lesser teams in the league but against the very best I don't think he has the ability to control games.
Agree, McT can perform well against weaker teams, just don't expect him can boss the midfield against top 4 opponents.
Which pretty much stated his standard is a squad player at most.

NZT-One

Credit where credit is due, he had another good 2nd half tonight. I think, it really helped that Brentford weren't as energetic as in the 1st half, because then, he didn't look particularly great. Good to see him stabilize his form though, hopefully, confidence will help him to be more assured and try more stuff and get rid of the tendency to hide when things get shaky. Still think he has a place in the squad but doesn't in the 1st team as soon as we bring somebody new in. I don't trust his positioning at all.

ClassOf'99

If you expect Pogba to play the way Scott did today then you’ll be forever disappointed. It’s just not his game.
I don't, that's my point, Pogba has all the potential to do what Scott done tonight, what many expected him to be able to do, and he's just never done it, a shame to waste talent like that but that talent has been replaced by Scott and I'm all for it now.

Wing Attack Plan R

I've always like McT, even when he was not used in his favored role (which is most of the time). I don't think anyone could ever doubt his commitment and his grit. Even when morale was low he showed he was playing for the shirt, having come through the academy he knows the history he represents. I think what's happening now is RR is coaching McT to do specific things, or more likely, to leave certain things for other players. McT's liability has been playing him as a 6, or pairing him with someone else who is also not a DM, and expecting the two of them to come up with a 6 and an 8 performance magically. In the 4231 system he was encouraged to not make vertical passes, and that was a frequent criticism of him on the Cafe. Under RR, vertical is being drilled as the first option and it's making all the difference.

First half Brentford were good, it wasn't just us being disorganized. Brentford has given a lot of top teams a proper game, and we just weren't at the races in the first half. 2nd half, McTominay was a thoroughbred out there. People have written off his first touch and his passing, and yet 2nd half he's nipping through players with the ball and releasing attackers with precise long passes. He's got the stuff, it's the system that has been holding him back. Which is not to say he's Iniesta, but he's a good player and we might be getting to see him hit a higher gear than he has so far, with RR's coaching.

NK86

He can play so well and drive with the ball. Why does he struggle so much so regularly then? He has it in his locker but more often than not he just plays within himself and struggles to even hold on to the ball.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He can play so well and drive with the ball. Why does he struggle so much so regularly then? He has it in his locker but more often than not he just plays within himself and struggles to even hold on to the ball.
He’s an 8 more than a 6. He’s clearly being told to play in a certain area and it doesn’t come naturally to him.

united for life

Who was that yesterday? I understand it’s Brentford but his performance was excellent. He was playing as a CDM but actually went forward a couple of times. 100% tackling rate, 90% passing completed 5 of his 6 dribble attempts.

he’s been played in different positions lately and he’s played well in all to be fair to him. Yesterday’s performance was excellent. Can he keep that up? Time will tell. I always doubted him playing in that position and actually being a first team regular. Hope he proves me wrong - i’ll be more than happy

Shimo

Top game from him. I really don't recall seeing what he did wrong in the first half (bloody game on Peacock, so no recording). Where did Brentford cut through us because of him?

Dalot lost the ball for the first chance cheaply and we got countered off of corners. Greenwood and Bruno instead of taking the tactical foul instead let a ball between them for one of those chances.

What he did in the second half in terms of determination to win the ball, that is what we always lauded players like Keano in doing, leading by example and he did that. Just wish every one of those players that pull on the shirt would take on that responsibility, play with that intensity more regularly. Elanga is doing it right now too, maybe rest will finally take the hint that if they all did it, we might actually finish the season off strong.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Very very good game. It needs to be said, he truly was an engine and they just couldn't cope with him. His passing was nice and crisp too.
I maintain that after DDG, he's been the best player since Rangnick took over

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thought he was our best outfield player yesterday. Good work rate, good on defense and both the 2nd and 3rd goal he started by some good skill/strength

If he could sustain that level he'd be a damn good player
He's been our best performer in the past two games, he's definitely on a roll and found some form.

Hopefully he can sustain it, as you're right, he's a damn good player in that mood.

ROFLUTION

Who was that yesterday? I understand it’s Brentford but his performance was excellent. He was playing as a CDM but actually went forward a couple of times. 100% tackling rate, 90% passing completed 5 of his 6 dribble attempts.

he’s been played in different positions lately and he’s played well in all to be fair to him. Yesterday’s performance was excellent. Can he keep that up? Time will tell. I always doubted him playing in that position and actually being a first team regular. Hope he proves me wrong - i’ll be more than happy
Wasn't Fred practically the CDM? McTominay had so many forward runs and in between the lines, it feels strange to call him CDM

NoLogo

Wasn't Fred practically the CDM? McTominay had so many forward runs and in between the lines, it feels strange to call him CDM
The way I saw it yesterday they were actually playing in a double pivot, not like Ralf claimed before the game in a 433, so Fred and McTom would probably both find themselves in a deeper role every now and then.

But as always with Scott his best actions all happened higher up the field when he pressed at the right time to win the ball and immediately used his forward momentum from that pressing to put a quick pass forward.

Gordon S

First Burnley and now Brentford, i guess he enjoys playing against more physical teams. Would love it if he could do it against better opposition as well, but can´t be too greedy i guess.
It does at least feel good to see a proper MOTM performance every once in while.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He was far and away MOTM but still not sure about him as a long term solution in the holding midfield role as he doesn't show for the ball enough when our defenders are in possession. Does his best work driving forward IMO, Keane-esque performance last night.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was very good performance, he has quick feet so his dribbling is always good. Made so many driving runs which got us into very good positions, at least we capitalized on it couple of times.

Ixion

He was very good in the second half, it isn't surprising that when our centre of midfield is doing well the rest of the team's performance follows.

Strelok

He was far and away MOTM but still not sure about him as a long term solution in the holding midfield role as he doesn't show for the ball enough when our defenders are in possession. Does his best work driving forward IMO, Keane-esque performance last night.
Agreed.

I don't think he's our long term for that holding role either. He's far better at driving the ball forward and he still doesn't know how to read the game and position himself accordingly as a holding. He's a pretty good goal scorer too it'd be both wrong and a waste to keep playing him there.

Just buy a good holding and move him up as a b2b.

united for life

i guess both went forward. It was a bit confusing whether it is 4231 or 433. But i felt scot was set up deeper than fred

Yeah he was excellent today. Proper defensive midfielder performance.
Not really. He had some great runs through the lines but ultimately we were cut open through the midfield numerous times, and as the deepest player and DM that's his responsibility. A defensive mid needs to move the ball through the lines AND keep things controlled at the back, not one or the other. And this was Brentford, not City or Liverpool or even West Ham.

He can do some things well but there are fundamental flaws to his game that cause problems in any position you put him in.

yamo123x

When Scott is good he is really good.
He was superb last night, especially 2nd half, he was also great against Burnley, Leeds..but he needs to step this up and get more consistency to his game.

I think if you put a good defensive midfielder alongside him like Rice freeing up Scott to maraud forward i think it could be a win win for the club.

Raven

He's impressed me under Ralf, I'd pretty much given up on him before Ole was sacked.

Bobski

Very very good game. It needs to be said, he truly was an engine and they just couldn't cope with him. His passing was nice and crisp too.
I maintain that after DDG, he's been the best player since Rangnick took over
Comfortably, other than against Wolves when he was fairly terrible he has been one of, if not the best Utd player in every game under Rangnick. Real resistance to admit that from some.

He was poor under Ole this season, but I would suggest that our midfielders have been given a thankless task for the majority of this season, almost no defensive cover in front of them, Bruno insanely high up the pitch in the main, massive space to cover and numbers to deal with.

Chief123

He played v well last night and that will happen with any player. He will have many more games where he plays well but also many more where his limitations cost us.

But the reality is, he is not good enough if we aspire to challenge for the top honours.

We really need to focus on the bigger picture and continue to find improvements for the Mcfred positions because neither are the standard we need.

rooney2009

He was driving forward quickly in the 2nd half
That’s his strength and he needs to do that more

Hughes35

He was great last night and I think in general he has been really good recently.

I think with a new holding DM that allows him to drive forwards he can be a big player for us. He's definitely one of the few with the right attitude too.

OverratedOpinion

At his best -
  • He is a brilliantly effective dribbler.
  • He has a totally reliable first touch.
  • Great shot from distance.
  • Arrives into the box at the right time.
  • Can still get caught out of position.
  • Great energy and stamina.
  • Passes really well (in that he understands his limitations as a passer, does not try and be Paul Scholes).
If we get a top class defensive midfielder next to him then we might be in a good position.

I do not mean this as a dig at Fred, I actually think they are both good enough to be the second best midfielder.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Been criticising him for a long time but yesterday he was superb!

That's the thing with him- he has all the tools to make it as a very good player, but he rarely uses them. Perhaps he finally makes that much needed step up with new manager and more define role in the team. Last thing I want to see is him hiding behind the players like he often does, would rather see himself be open for a pass and losing ball from time to time than playing like a coward.

Abraxas

I think it's always depending on the game with McTominay. If there is space to drive into, and we aren't getting him pushed into defensive areas as a team then he can be very effective.

When we play at a low tempo and you ask him to take the ball in difficult spaces with the opposition coming onto us and we want to buildup then it isn't going to be great. You need someone else for that side of the game. It also highlights his positional weakness in defence because it gives the opposition confidence when we play like that.

He will be a useful player if Ralf gets us playing how he probably wants as it'll suit his style.

captaincantona

He is not the guy you want as a sole number 6. He is just not capable of finding space to help out the centre halves or to recieve a ball out from the back under pressure. For me, he and Fred should be competing for that second “8” position alongside Bruno depending on who’s we are up against. His bursts from midfield and breaking lines are such a weapon when there is no space to pass into. He needs to be a bit further up.

Pirlo'sBeard

He had a great game last night and undoubtedly is a useful squad player. But let's not forget how average he's been for years now. We struggle to get any control in a game with him and Fred. McTominay shys away from the ball and passes backwards or sideways. Fred isn't shy but doesn't have the quality to deliver consistently.

A handy player to have but not a starter for any side with trophy aspirations.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we can find a genuinely good DM and play him as one of the two 8s in front of that 6 I think he could be really good. He is really good if he can press higher up and has the license to go forward as well. So him next to Bruno and a quality DM behind those two could be really great imo.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.