5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Definitely as good on the ball as Milner and Henderson, wouldn’t you say?
No.

Scott's a hard worker, there's no denying it.

He's just not very technically gifted and doesn't possess a broad enough passing range, I'd also question whether or not he possesses a good footbaĺl brain on the pitch in terms or reading and understanding what is required at certain times. He also lacks a certain amount of awareness and vision. He's a player who is very good at running onto to the play, tighter areas or expecting him to play passes and hold the ball, play slick 1 or 2 touches, just forget about it.

Bobski

Won 8 headers alone against West Ham

They won 15 headers all together. Fellaini who
An often underlooked attribute of his, and especially in the Pl quite an important tool. Fred and Donny was always a non starter, and this is one of the reasons why.

People often say McT is a championship player, lower end PL at best. I wonder what they thought of Soucek yesterday, good PL player but quite obviously inferior to Scott.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Not in terms of what he produces no, not close
Liverpool are significantly better than Man Utd in all areas, retain the ball and control the game.
Their stats will easily surpass ours in all areas, not just McT.

Augustus Gloop

He was exhausted today.

He's played the most minutes for United this season (outfield).

By far.
Glad someone mentioned this. I assume he’s over the back injury sustained against Brentford but he was subbed off for it last Wednesday… can never doubt the guy’s commitment to the cause.

Won 8 headers alone against West Ham

They won 15 headers all together. Fellaini who
Proper beast mode in the air yesterday. Won everything that their goalkeeper kicked out.

Ekeke

Liverpool are significantly better than Man Utd in all areas, retain the ball and control the game.
Their stats will easily surpass ours in all areas, not just McT.
But they dont

its just a comparison with a different type of player, since Fabinho is the DM and McTom and Fred are DMs - and their stats are weighted towards ball winning just like his are.

While their ball playing isnt close to Henderson's, they win the ball more like Fabinho does.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Incredible effort in this thread to avoid giving McT any credit.
He's certainly not one of our worst players.
He is benefitting from the current coaching and has been lauded as one of our best performers since RR arrived

EtH

Incredible effort in this thread to avoid giving McT any credit.
He's certainly not one of our worst players.
He is benefitting from the current coaching and has been lauded as one of our best performers since RR arrived
He is well below standard for any top side. Wouldn’t look out of place at Burnley.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I get that he has limitations but his last 3 managers have him a nailed on starter. Sure, you could question Mourinho's motivation. Then, you can write off Ole as a PE teacher. But Ralf too? Far away hills and all that. I'm all for a midfield addition but he's working his ass off and is getting better. His good to poor performance ratio is better than it's ever been. Sure, not good enough for United yada yada. But this is what we are at the moment. We're trying to get better and he's part of it. So maybe cut the guy a bit of slack.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He is well below standard for any top side. Wouldn’t look out of place at Burnley.
If Dyche can get a tune out of the likes of Westwood and Brownhill then he'd make McTominay look like prime Robbo.

El__Jingo

Posted last night but no reply as of yet and im genuinely curious to know how you lot see things compared to me..I

If McT is to be sold.. ( whether he is or not isnt in question) who do you think would be in for him and for how much?

EtH

If Dyche can get a tune out of the likes of Westwood and Brownhill then he'd make McTominay look like prime Robbo.
Ah so. Maybe we should keep McTominay and hire Dyche this summer then.

Standards here have never been lower.

Gavinb33

Definitely as good on the ball as Milner and Henderson, wouldn’t you say?
Henderson until Klopp came along was very meh, its a wonder what coaching did to that Liverpool midfield, when you consider Wijnaldum very average at Newcastle as well, there isn't anything to say that with coaching he cannot reach these levels and as people have said who were gagging for Ralf to come in and do coaching he sees something in him and he is one of the most renowned coaches in the world.

Also for all the people saying he is a DM he isn't he is played there but he is a box to box player that should be his actual role in the team and not restricted to being just a DM, he has got an eye for a goal and is an underrated dribbler who can often beat his man in the central midfield

KennyBurner

Most improved player under the new manager. He doesn't look out of place in this 433 which is strange to me? Lets keep watching for the next 2 months before drawing any concrete conclusions.

Passitlikescholes

Henderson until Klopp came along was very meh, its a wonder what coaching did to that Liverpool midfield, when you consider Wijnaldum very average at Newcastle as well, there isn't anything to say that with coaching he cannot reach these levels and as people have said who were gagging for Ralf to come in and do coaching he sees something in him and he is one of the most renowned coaches in the world.

Also for all the people saying he is a DM he isn't he is played there but he is a box to box player that should be his actual role in the team and not restricted to being just a DM, he has got an eye for a goal and is an underrated dribbler who can often beat his man in the central midfield
Just to pick up on bits of your post, things like coaching, form, surrounded by better players make a vast difference in the utilisation/performance of a player.

I don't think Fred has any more levels to go up (if surrounded by better players) but I do see Scott being a much better player if he had a proper midfield partner.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But they dont

its just a comparison with a different type of player, since Fabinho is the DM and McTom and Fred are DMs - and their stats are weighted towards ball winning just like his are.

While their ball playing isnt close to Henderson's, they win the ball more like Fabinho does.

There's more balls to win if your team is constantly pissing the ball away.

I think the point is some individual player's stats can be as much about how their team operates than the actual player, not that all the metrics for a player in a better team are necessarily better.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ah so. Maybe we should keep McTominay and hire Dyche this summer then.

Standards here have never been lower.
Yeah that's right, you talking bollocks means everyone else is rubbish.

Ekeke

There's more balls to win if your team is constantly pissing the ball away.

I think the point is some individual player's stats can be as much about how their team operates than the actual player, not that all the metrics for a player in a better team are necessarily better.
Firstly that isnt the point he was making. Its the opposite actually.

Also it isnt like that. Fred and McTominay do the job that Fabinho does.

The comparison with Henderson is just lazy. He isnt Liverpool's ball winner, he's one of their players that uses the ball well for them. Thats why Fabinho's ball winning stats are high and as a combination together Fred and McTominay's together are high, especially if you also count winning the ball in the air. The problem is that we have 2 of those players doing that job.

Liverpool have their 4-3-3 where Henderson and Thiago are on the sides and more about using the ball while Fabinho is trusted to do the bulk of the defensive work. Thats one of the reasons Liverpool have more of the ball and use it better going forward. We have 2 players doing what 1 player does for them and we're sacrificing another player who can help us in the buildup. Thats also where we're missing Pogba who was doing that.

Abraxas

I don't really get the whole argument. Pointless. Firstly, Milner isn't a starting footballer for a top club over the long term. Never really has been, he's a utility man, whereas we never judge McTominay in that vein.

Secondly, who cares if he is or isn't as good as Jordan Henderson. He's probably better than McTominay especially in passing but who cares, Scott is a good age and has his own attributes, especially getting forward. It's no standard by which to judge a player.

The main thing we have to get is a manager that can appraise players and understand whether they can contribute to a winning squad. Not everybody has to be this world beating superstar. If anything the only comparison is probably that like Milner McT is going to get bugger all credit as it feels as if he's always viewed with suspicion by a large section of fans despite managers valuing them.

McTominay is going to be going absolutely nowhere. His role may change over the coming seasons. I could see him dropping down the pecking order, I could see him playing different roles, but it is near certain he won't be leaving. Cheap to keep around, works hard, has potential adaptability - no manager is stupid enough to discount him from a squad.

NewYorkRed

I’m usually a huge critic of his but he has been good as of late. I still don’t think he’s United quality, but if he keeps improving like he is then I’ll have no issues admitting I was wrong about him.

GreatDane

It's almost like he's getting coached and improving as a result, who would have known!

Krits

Both him and Fred together in midfield isn’t good enough for United. But you need one of them and honestly if it was between him and Fred, I’d chose him mostly because of his mentality. It seems to be better.

Add a good ball playing MF in there and I think it is a decent midfield.
Good game from him other than that one square ball.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Ergo, virtually the whole squad is well below standard for any top side and wouldn't look out of place at Burnley.

mu4c_20le

An ex-legend had some good things to say about him in todays podcast.

“I tell you one thing,” Schweinsteiger told the UTD Podcast. “When I was with Mourinho and training with the second team and under-16s team with United, I saw a lot of good players.

“One was Scott McTominay and I thought he will make it for sure - he had those abilities.

“So United has a good youth team - you just need to use them and give them the time to develop.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How some of you can so easily get braniwashed after 1 good performance. Like this is typical McTominay for the past 3years - 1 good performance followed by 5-10 mediocre/average/decent

edgecutter

He's just not good enough. Honestly forgot he was playing because he rarely got involved.

Woodenlung

McTominay is the one player I can't back to improve. It's not because I don't like him, but rather because he's just not good enough. Players like Rashford and Sancho have struggled this season, but have a body of work from previous seasons to suggest that they're good players and will get back to their best. But McTominay doesn't have that at all. He has never had a consistent run of good performances. He's one good game and 10 poor ones.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Someone needs to sit him down and tell him the ball can move faster than him.

Why does he insist on running in the direction of the way he’s passing for a few steps before passing the ball. Doesn’t matter if it’s sideways, backwards, or forwards, he always does it.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He would struggle to get in Boro team
He has always been a championship player, picked on his physicality, luck and obedience. Training with the best players playing games made him a better player but most often than not he will always show that he's simply not good enough. We desperately need to recruit in midfield, the gulf in quality between him and any other midfielder is shocking.

34 year old Mark noble would be a much better player for us than Scott unfortunately

Roboc7

So painfully average but seems to be destined to be a starter for years to come for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.