5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Problem is playing him as an 8 forces him to play on the ball in tighter spaces, which means he has to think and act quicker than he's capable of.

He doesn't really have a best position in my eyes, he's a complete tweener that isn't a good enough passer or creative further forward but struggles positionally playing as a 6 and lacks passing range.

He has to play since we don't have any other midfield options currently, but anyone at the club that genuinely thought Scott is captain material is fecking blind.
His best position is #8, but his role is a bench back up player. His use is to be on the pitch when we need more body in midfield to see out game. Fresh leg and height in place of Fred when opposition resort direct percentage football. ThatKs about it.

Having him as no 6 and starter for now is evidence of failure in team building.

Devil may care

I appreciated the fact he at least tried to remain pisitionally disciplined today, he's not a #6 so can't ask much more than that from him, it was criminal that we didn't get a DM in January.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We pass up the chance to sign a central midfielder in countless transfer windows because we have him. I despair.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Another game against smaller team where he was useless. What will happen when our tough run starts?
McT is not a defensive midfielder.
McT is not a midfielder.
McT is not Pl quality player.
McT is hardly a football player

Bobski

Invisible?

He had made more passes than Pogba at the point he was taken off. He was ok today, Romeu looked the better of the 2 in the DM role though.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Went missing after the yellow and which is usually what happens in most games.

He should be subbed the very second he's booked.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Being United academy player is the best protection shield for football player.
Unfortunately doesn't work for Pogba.

We have better cms in the academy right now anyway. I'd rather recall and play our Verratti in Galbraith or give Mejbri a chance. People will say that'd be a worry from a defensive pov as at least McTominay is big, but he doesn't protect the defence. We get carved open every game he starts anyway. Might as well play someone with class on the ball.

jesperjaap

McFredin general. I remember people excusign them for any blame saying it was our weak defence behind them that bought pressure and Varane was meant to solve that......was utter twaddle then.

I dont minf McTominay, as a valuable squad player. I dont rate Fred at all whatsoever but not wanting to start the who is better/worse. The big problem for me is both are so unaware positionally and at reading the game that is leaves us exposed so often. And lets face it, neither have a game offensively that makes up for it at all like say Pogba does. Again in that midfield he is positionally unaware. VDB simply doesnt have the game to play there. Our only player that can play there is often looking over the hill now in Matic.

Its crazy we have spent over £170m on Pogba, VDB and Fred alone for our midfield and still McTominay is arguably the best option there at the moment when he has no range of passing or game reading,.

Unless Hannibals future is planned in that midfield by a mile our biggest priority incoming wise is completely rebuilding our midfield. So many of our problems defensively and offensively begin there

lex talionis

Ralf needs to come his senses soon and realize McTominay isn’t good enough to be one of the first names on the squad sheet.

SoCross

Ralf needs to come his senses soon and realize McTominay isn’t good enough to be one of the first names on the squad sheet.
He has no other option till the end of the season.

Matic can’t play consistently, Fred as a 6 is also not the best option.

Roboc7

He wouldn’t get in Southampton’s team, sadly he’s not the only one.

He’s a squad player at best, if we spend years trying to prove otherwise we’ll continue to be shit. Again he’s not only one that applies to.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He’s not a holding midfielder. Can’t expect him to do things that a holding midfielder does, when he isn’t one.

lex talionis

Lacking options to be fair. Neither Fred nor Matic were even on the bench today
I’ll give him that, but this infatuation with McTominay goes back two seasons.

A decent squad player yes, but not more than that.

Smithy89

One of the most average midfielders i've ever seen at the club likes going hiding when it matters, and is just a pure passion merchant.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's a trier but his limitations as a footballer lead him to hog the ball when he should pass. He's too scared to hit the fast one between the lines, ends up running and it kills the chance of many a counter.

I miss Michael Carrick.

ti vu

Invisible and also tactically at fault for the conceded goal. Southampton created 2 vs 1 on Varane zone. The goal assister was free during the transition because McTominay decided to be a passenger, and not involved. He's not pressing anyone, why didn't he position to help the back line to prevent overloaded in defensive zone? Everyone with a bit of awareness see this coming from a mile away.

Roux

Game changed when he got the yellow card for 2 stupid challenges at 30mins in - after that he couldn't tackle and they tore through us at ease.

AndySmith1990

I think if there's one player who sums up how far our standards have fallen, it's Mctominay. He's not terrible, but he's a pretty underwhelming player who doesn't really excel at anything, he's kinda meh. When you look at our past title winning teams I don't think he'd even make it as a squad player. I mean Darren Fletcher used to get criticised for not being good enough, but he was twice the player of Mctominay.

El__Jingo

no surprise that he has another stinker, do you notice how often the defenders are forced to send long hopeless balls over the top because he doesnt come to show for the ball. its the most important position on the pitch and we have a player who is seriously out of his depth to start for a team who want to be where we want to be.

The manager is the only one to blame as he is the one who continuously picks him along with Maguire and Rashford.

we will never challenge for a title as long as those 3 players consistently start for this club. absolute joke of a club at the minute

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Wow!
Played reasonably today.
Had a lot of work to do on his own.
Don't see how the goal was his fault.
Re the goal, there was so much time and space for Southampton because there was no tracking back.
Then the tackles were dreadful.
Great finish by Adams.
If our team was coached as well as Southampton and there was a Team Structure we would be great, but we're not.

GueRed

I like him.

He's not a natural sitter/defensive midfielder though.

He can do a job there but it's asking a lot of him to play and sit in front of the defence alone imo..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"Best" part of his game is passing. Anybody noticed how only way how he knows to pass the ball is basic stuff which is learned when you are 8y old. With inside of your foot and with slight ball rotation. Even then he must position his body in specific position which takes ages.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Was left awfully exposed yesterday with Pogba and Bruno not tracking back quick enough. He's not a natural DM either.

Litch

Not Scott’s fault tbh. Not saying he is good enough but If we played Bruno or Pogs at 6, there would be we more quality in some aspects but we’d be having a similar discussions. Matic is the only true 6 and it’s the failings of managers and the club that we don’t have alternatives….

Dan_F

And being white and British. Look how Pogba and Lingard are treated by comparison
In what sense? McTominay takes pelters after every single game. One of them cost £90 million and is a World Cup winner, the other was free and on substantially lower wages. I think it’s obvious to see why expectations of Pogba are higher.

Matthew84!

How anyone can blame him for the goal is beyond me, he has Pogba and Bruno who go forward and hardly ever track back, until that's changed it doesn't matter who the holder CM is they will get over run or just passed around.
I like him as a player, he'll get better but would be better if he was learning of a quality CM.

Banana Republic

It wasn't great, but Scott was left on his own to cover 4 Southampton midfield players, with Bruno and Pogba pushing too high upfield and even being stranded too apart from each other.
All three of these players and the lack of involvement and effort from the forward and so called wide players is the reason we have no midfield capable of controlling games.

Marwood

Thought he had a decent game and was unlucky to come off.

I get why in theory, Pogba and Bruno more likely to create something. But actually in the 2nd half Scott was the only one of the three getting on the ball and keeping it moving. Even if it was basic stuff.

joedirt87

Reminds of when Fellaini was here. Playing him out of position because the managers believe they have better players in his more natural/better fit role but because he’s tall they want to stick him a defensive position they are weaker at. I guess the difference is when he started to get games he was only 20 or so they thought they could mold him.

Rajma

Makes you want to cry when you have Thiago/Rodri playing for Liverpool/City and McT starting the same role for us. The gulf in quality between them is probably as big as Mct vs me. We need at least 2 starting midfielders this summer.

lex talionis

Another underwhelming performance by McTominay. How it’s come to the point where Manchester United settled on him as a regular starter I have no idea.

We’ve got problems everywhere, but the largest gaping dropoff in quality in our starting XI is holding midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.