5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

Yeah but Pogba was objectively trash and Matic dropped a 5 or 6 out of ten.

You’re gonna be posting these sharp “quips” for ages because he’s not going anywhere any time soon.
Yes, because players like him with powerful PR machines behind them tend to be pushed as far as possible despite the evidence showing they're useless. So don't worry, he might get his testimonial but if united recruit well in midfield he won't be a starter.

Hell if the next proper manager can fight the politics of it all McTominay will be shipped off and maybe reunite with his friend Daniel James in the lower PL or championship where I feel their 'talents' will be more appreciated

Bobski

Yes, because players like him with powerful PR machines behind them tend to be pushed as far as possible despite the evidence showing they're useless. So don't worry, he might get his testimonial but if united recruit well in midfield he won't be a starter.

Hell if the next proper manager can fight the politics of it all McTominay will be shipped off and maybe reunite with his friend Daniel James in the lower PL or championship where I feel their 'talents' will be more appreciated
McT has a powerful PR machine behind him. Really? Maybe you could say that about Rashford but MCT, must have missed all that seeding of positive news stories about him, but hey, who doesn't love a good conspiracy. He is getting games because our options are either old, Matic, or meek and unplayable, DVDB. If a new manager can manage to bring in a decent number 6, or one of the youngsters takes a step MCT will drop to the bench or stands, and there will be no outcry about it at all.

Last edited:

United in sin

McT has a poweful PR machine behind him. Really? Maybe you could say that about Rashford but MCT, must have missed all that seeding of positive news stories about him, but hey, who doesn't love a good conspiracy. He is getting games because our options are either old, Matic, or meek and unplayable, DVDB. If a new manager can manage to bring in a decent number 6, or one of the youngsters takes a step MCT will drop to the bench or stands, and there will be no outcry about it at all.
Rashford has actually contributed to united. It's not even close. Right now uniteds midfield looks a more cohesive unit with old man Matic, without the hiding when-it-gets tough and yellow card a game-can't pass for shit McTominay

Bobski

Rashford has actually contributed to united. It's not even close. Right now uniteds midfield looks a more cohesive unit with old man Matic, without the hiding when-it-gets tough and yellow card a game-can't pass for shit McTominay
So PR is ok when it is Rashford? Or was it just a load of nonsense to start with?

It is not McTominay's fault that the other options are either not good enough, or not viable because they don't have the legs to last for more than 30 mins at any tempo(either Matic or Pogba at this moment) Unfortunately he is the best option we have had in recent times, that is on the club, not the player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think McTominay's passing is massively underrated on here. He is never going to be a playmaker or a truly creative passer of course, but he is very good and effective at playing a fast, simple passing game - the type that a City midfielder would probably be encouraged to do. Dictate the tempo, keep it simple, play those fast balls into the feet of the attacking players (which is something he does very well).

And yes, I think McTominay is a better passer than Fred, given the above. Fred has a strong tendency to either overhit or underhit passing, putting teammates under unnecessary pressure. Fred has done increasingly well in recent games at his passing in the final third, evidenced by his assists, but his basic midfield passing is really subpar and erratic.

As with Fred, Scot's natural position should be a more advanced #8. I truly believe that if we got a proper DM behind both him and Fred, we would have a very capable midfield. They just need to be freed up - we have seen this time and time again.
Yeah, that is not McTominay. Everything what you said there is complete opposite in reality.

lex talionis

I feel bad about the trashing McTominay has taken here, which I have contributed to several times, but we're only saying that he's not United first XI material and not that he's not a decent option coming off the bench.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I feel bad about the trashing McTominay has taken here, which I have contributed to several times, but we're only saying that he's not United first XI material and not that he's not a decent option coming off the bench.
Hm, no. We are saying that he is bottom table club material at best and by that, he is not good for Man Utd. In any role or squad status

lex talionis

Hm, no. We are saying that he is bottom table club material at best and by that, he is not good for Man Utd. In any role or squad status
When United return to CL-favorite status there's no room for McTominay on the squad, but if we had the starting XI that we could realistically expect going into next season most of us wouldn't mind having McTominay on the 23 man squad. The complaint, however, is that he somehow swindled Ole and Ralf into this iconic status as an undroppable player and, not surprisingly, we are far off the pace of the PL leaders.

United in sin

So PR is ok when it is Rashford? Or was it just a load of nonsense to start with?

It is not McTominay's fault that the other options are either not good enough, or not viable because they don't have the legs to last for more than 30 mins at any tempo(either Matic or Pogba at this moment) Unfortunately he is the best option we have had in recent times, that is on the club, not the player.
Rashford has justified his selections in starting sides for united way more than McTominay ever has. McTominay is overhyped for nothing

Man Utd 0:1 Atletico Madrid

Sylar

He doesn't show for the ball which is annoying. He jogs into a certain position and a lot of the time it's behind an opposition player.

Bobski

He doesn't show for the ball which is annoying. He jogs into a certain position and a lot of the time it's behind an opposition player.
He completed more passes than any other Utd player in the first half. Poor after HT but in the first he and Fred provided a decent platform for the attackers to do nothing with.

Skills

Snitch
He played well in the first half.

But its clear the other players - especially the CBs don't trust him. They just don't pass the ball into the middle into him, because they know he won't be able to turn with it. Someone like a Busquets, Jorginho or Rodri are all about receiving the ball in that little space in front of the CBs and turning their man into space. He can't do that unfortunately, so we just have to bypass the midfield completely and go straight into the wingers which makes us a lot more predictable.

Inception

He completed more passes than any other Utd player in the first half. Poor after HT but in the first he and Fred provided a decent platform for the attackers to do nothing with.
It easy to complete passes when you are passing sideways.

Cloud7

I thought he was decent today. Along with Fred, among our better players in the first half, for whatever it’s worth.

Oranges038

Poor Awareness, poor passing, poor first touch. He can run all he likes and show as much passion as he wants.

But, he just doesn't have enough ability on the ball.

That's why he's not good enough.

flameinthesun

He played well in the first half.

But its clear the other players - especially the CBs don't trust him. They just don't pass the ball into the middle into him, because they know he won't be able to turn with it. Someone like a Busquets, Jorginho or Rodri are all about receiving the ball in that little space in front of the CBs and turning their man into space. He can't do that unfortunately, so we just have to bypass the midfield completely and go straight into the wingers which makes us a lot more predictable.
He played well for his standard. The reality is he should not be a first choice cm for a team trying to progress to the latter stages of the champs league. He was technically the worst midfielder out of both teams. We always mention him hiding, the reason he does it is because he doesnt want to take it in tight spaces because his touch when compared to other cms is pretty bad as is his close dribbling. So decent night by his standards, but such a poor midfielder. Im happy to have him as a backup player but no where near the starting 11.

United in sin

We deserve a useless chap like him. Lauded by the club and hoards in the fanbase as the future leader of the club. Utterly rubbish player

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was very good for the first 20 minutes or so. Not just 'good by his standards', but genuinely good. He was looking to get involved and his passing was crisp, the two things that normally lets him down. After that he dropped off a little although was still fairly good for the rest of the first half, but in the second half he started slowing things down too much (still decent though).

Bobski

It easy to complete passes when you are passing sideways.
Of course, but the point was that he was on the ball quite a lot in the first half and was moving it reasonably well if not massively progressively.

Awful, awful player nothing but sideways passing all game. The sooner he's out of the starting 11 the sooner we will prosper.

Irwin99

Looked really good for the first half an hour like the rest of the team. After that, faded...like the rest of the team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Played well in the first half, probably the best I've seen him play all season. But, like Fred, he faded.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This guy fouls more than Granit Xhaka. He has no idea at all how to tackle. Just usually climbs on his man or pulls him to the ground.

Longshanks

He was good tonight, little unlucky to be subbed but I could understand the logic, matic is more creative and cultured.

Won alot of tackles, high balls and interceptions in the middle of the park, played some passes when he could kept it simple when he needed to.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
I thought he was decent today. Along with Fred, among our better players in the first half, for whatever it’s worth.
I agree wholeheartedly with this.
McT and Fred both had a good game.
Certainly they performed better than most in the team.

El__Jingo

people genuine believe he played well because atheltico sat back and allowed him time because they knew he'd do sweet FA with it. should never have started and i dont understand the obsession around him. we will never win anything while he plays such an integral part in this club.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have a lot of time for Scott, he seems like a good lad and I love those random games where he decides he'll be a world beater for 90 minutes... But those games are roughly once a season, and ultimately he should not be a regular starter for Manchester United.

Silverman

There was a moment in the second half when Varane was carrying the ball out and looking for options and McTominay would have been open in lots of space if he just took a few steps forward and demanded the ball.
However, he did not look like he wanted the ball in any way, shape or form.
He's not good enough to play for United sadly.

United in sin

There was a moment in the second half when Varane was carrying the ball out and looking for options and McTominay would have been open in lots of space if he just took a few steps forward and demanded the ball.
Burnely is his level

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Woeful. Absolutely horrendous.

His passing is so bad, he can’t even get into the Scotland midfield and he’s our fecking number 6, Jesus wept.

Noticed that as well. Such a nice little clean pass to cut through the press, but of course Scotty has zero awareness and forces Varane to play a shit no hope pass afterwards.

OhGee

I have a lot of time for Scott, he seems like a good lad and I love those random games where he decides he'll be a world beater for 90 minutes... But those games are roughly once a season, and ultimately he should not be a regular starter for Manchester United.
To be fair to him, it’s twice a season against Leeds. If they (Leeds) get relegated then what happens?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We badly need somebody good enough to be the solo DM in a midfield three (who can play for more than an hour, sorry Matic). We've tried McTominay there so many times now, and he just doesn't have the qualities to do it.

I'd be happy enough with Bruno and Fred ahead of a rock-solid DM next year, with McT as Fred's backup (assuming we're not going to get a top quality number 8 in as well, in which case Fred is the backup and McT can be sold).

Silverman

Noticed that as well. Such a nice little clean pass to cut through the press, but of course Scotty has zero awareness and forces Varane to play a shit no hope pass afterwards.
The difference we would see with a new DM and a CM in this team would be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.