Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyril C

He's not good.

And needs to see significantly less playing time next season.
McTom is not alone but he is probably 1 of the worst, why is he still struggling to find consistent form throughout this season? mcTom is not someone full of talent or vision, he relies on his physical fitness, tireless effort and concentration to stay in the game. I think he lacks all 3 throughout this season.

Mike Smalling

Remember a couple of months ago, when everyone got a semi because he hit a couple of decent long shots against Burnley or something?

Calling him average would be generous. He will probably be in the squad for a while, but you could argue he is not even good enough for that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Only matter of time now before he gets a red card.
That was never a red card. Modern refereeing/punditry standards are fecking ridiculous. Not a dangerous challenge in the slightest.

wolvored

This is why the squad is so poor. Him Fred an aging Matic and a will he wont he turn up Pogba are nowhere near good enough for what we need. Thats why we struggle every game. The midfield neither links the attack effectively or helps out the defence.

Acole9

Outstanding
That was never a red card. Modern refereeing/punditry standards are fecking ridiculous. Not a dangerous challenge in the slightest.
Hmm personally I thought he was lucky. I'm not basing my previous post on that incident alone though.

TwoSheds

Hmm personally I thought he was lucky. I'm not basing my previous post on that incident alone though.
Don't get me wrong it was a silly challenge, he often cuts it close but if we're going to give red cards for a slide tackle foul that isn't dangerous then let's just ban sliding challenges completely, make it easier for the useless refs.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I like McTominay. He can be a very important squad play. Problem is he's not a DM. He's a box to box midfielder. The only #6 we have is Matic. Which is why for so long we saw McFred. Two #8's instead of a #6. We have now seen how good Fred can be if played as a #8. I know McT gets a lot of stick around here, but even though he shouldn't be in our best 11, he bleeds MUFC through and through and can still play a very important role in our squad. We just need a real #6 as that position has been ignored for far too long...

Chripper

OK. I'm a Scotland fan and I've gone from loving Scott McTominay to liking him and then being confused by him.

First and foremost, I love how committed he Is to Scotland. (And before the jokes come thick and fast about "England dodging a bullet", Gareth Southgate did have a talk to him about declaring for England.)

He plays mainly in a back three for Scotland, and he's never let us down. However, he's played in midfield about 2 or 3 times and he's been underwhelming. His spacial awareness is bad.

He's an odd player. I can't figure him out. At times, when he's on his game for United he looks like the lovechild of Keane and Robson. Off his game, he looks like Liam Miller (RIP) or Tom Cleverely after an all night bender.

I do think he's a victim of circumstance. When the class of '92 broke through, they had leaders like Schmeichel, Robson, Cantona, Hughes, Irwin, McClair, Ince, etc, to look up to and to learn from. Who has McTominay (and the equivalent) had to look up to? Pogba? Bruno? McGuire? Ronaldo?

He's having to learn on the job, and that's something that the class of 92 didn't have to do, because they had real leaders who took the brunt of the responsibility.

Not that I'm making excuses for him, but no one can deny the fact that there's not been any leaders at United for God knows how long.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Scott when the new manager comes in.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was a potentially red card challenge that luckily (for both players) didn't make full contact. Because of that it was only a yellow card, but if he'd made full contact it would definitely have been a red.

TwoSheds

It was a potentially red card challenge that luckily (for both players) didn't make full contact. Because of that it was only a yellow card, but if he'd made full contact it would definitely have been a red.
The player's leg was in the air, it wasn't dangerous and McTominay knew it when he committed. Don't get me wrong a shit ref could easily have sent him off but luckily he didn't have one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I remember a period where he seemed to be signing a new 5 year contract every 10 months or so. Was genuinely bemused as to what people were seeing, but to be fair, most fans seemed to be on the same page with the club at the time. He’s been spoken of as an £80m midfielder, one of the best in the league, better than Liverpool’s midfielders and one of the top 10 players to ever come from United’s academy. He’s one of the luckiest men ever in football, and if we happened to be a successful team during this period, he’d be even luckier, probably retiring a Champions League and multiple PL winner.

arnie_ni

Don't get me wrong it was a silly challenge, he often cuts it close but if we're going to give red cards for a slide tackle foul that isn't dangerous then let's just ban sliding challenges completely, make it easier for the useless refs.
Your man at arsenal got a red a month or two a go for a virtually identical challenge.

As nev said, if a red was given on the field it wasn't going to be overturned.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He has been a starter for such a long time. Now were do we rank him across all our past midfielders?

TwoSheds

Your man at arsenal got a red a month or two a go for a virtually identical challenge.

As nev said, if a red was given on the field it wasn't going to be overturned.
I don't disagree, I just think it would have been a wrong decision from the ref that's not so bad VAR would choose to intervene. So I don't get why fannies like Neville clutch their pearls about it - silly to give the referee the decision to make but good that he made the correct one, why does anyone need to cry about that?

Revaulx

He was done a year later
RVP and Rio had their careers finished by Moyes. Because they were basically crocks, SAF had agreed ultra-light training regimes for both, and in Rio’s case never played him more than once a week. Moyes came along, made them do the same training as the rest of the squad and played them week in week out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've got an idea....let's play a guy out of position and then complain that he's not good enough in that position that he's not meant to play. Bottom line is McTominay is a #8 not a #6. He's trying his best to play that role but it's just not suited for him. He's too "high energy" to play in such a disciplined role. Personally I blame our management for constantly playing him out of position. We have one DM on our team. Matic. He should start every game, especially now that we are knocked out of every other competition and he only has to play once per week...

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I've got an idea....let's play a guy out of position and then complain that he's not good enough in that position that he's not meant to play. Bottom line is McTominay is a #8 not a #6. He's trying his best to play that role but it's just not suited for him. He's too "high energy" to play in such a disciplined role. Personally I blame our management for constantly playing him out of position. We have one DM on our team. Matic. He should start every game, especially now that we are knocked out of every other competition and he only has to play once per week...
For someone with such high energy he joggs around too much. He's not good enough even for number 8 role, there's a reason he plays as CB for Scotland.

IrishMcD

Aren't #8s meant to be comfortable on the ball, with a good first touch and passing ability? Genuine question mate, not trying to be a smartarse, what exactly does he offer as a top #8? yeah he can be a powerful runner through the middle when higher up the field but he is not gonna get a sniff of playing as an 8 in any top team in the world.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Aren't #8s meant to be comfortable on the ball, with a good first touch and passing ability? Genuine question mate, not trying to be a smartarse, what exactly does he offer as a top #8? yeah he can be a powerful runner through the middle when higher up the field but he is not gonna get a sniff of playing as an 8 in any top team in the world.
He's a lot better than many give him credit for, but still not great. He should be a squad player. Like Fletcher was...

IrishMcD

He's a lot better than many give him credit for, but still not great. He should be a squad player. Like Fletcher was...
Not for me, terrible skill set, no where near good enough. Can not pass, awful control and can't dictate tempo of game. Need much better, even as squad players if we want to challenge for titles. Just my opinion.

Chief123

Another performance highlighting how bang average this guy is. Yet we still have a tribe on here who get all giddy with him and Maguire.

jem

He was done a year later
That may be true, but you can't say the player most responsible for winning our last title was washed up. His decline was indeed rapid (a combination of the Moyes voodoo and injury) but he was firing on all cylinders at the end of 2012-13.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
the rest maybe, but blaming Fergie for leaving us RVP is ludicrous.
He could never have predicted RvP would hit a wall so quickly but that definitely fecked us. Likewise Rooney ageing so poorly. Although we weren’t going to get much more service out of them tbf. Which Fergie must have known.

What really fecked us (and he wouldn’t have predicted) was the fact that not one of Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rafael, Anderson, Kagawa, Cleverley, Hernandez or Nani would out anywhere near as good as the players he had assumed/hoped they would replace. That was a straight up catastrophe. The step down in quality from the spine of our title winning squad to that lot was enormous and we’ve been feeling the consequences of that ever since. Rooney and RvP bizarrely both going directly from 29 to 40 years old only added to the mess.

United in sin

OK. I'm a Scotland fan and I've gone from loving Scott McTominay to liking him and then being confused by him.

First and foremost, I love how committed he Is to Scotland. (And before the jokes come thick and fast about "England dodging a bullet", Gareth Southgate did have a talk to him about declaring for England.)

He plays mainly in a back three for Scotland, and he's never let us down. However, he's played in midfield about 2 or 3 times and he's been underwhelming. His spacial awareness is bad.

He's an odd player. I can't figure him out. At times, when he's on his game for United he looks like the lovechild of Keane and Robson. Off his game, he looks like Liam Miller (RIP) or Tom Cleverely after an all night bender.

I do think he's a victim of circumstance. When the class of '92 broke through, they had leaders like Schmeichel, Robson, Cantona, Hughes, Irwin, McClair, Ince, etc, to look up to and to learn from. Who has McTominay (and the equivalent) had to look up to? Pogba? Bruno? McGuire? Ronaldo?

He's having to learn on the job, and that's something that the class of 92 didn't have to do, because they had real leaders who took the brunt of the responsibility.

Not that I'm making excuses for him, but no one can deny the fact that there's not been any leaders at United for God knows how long.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Scott when the new manager comes in.
He's already played under three different managers and has shown zero signs of significant development or improvement on his shortcomings. What more do we want?

He's been shoehorned into the Scotland NT and deployed in a role that doesn't even augment his 'strengths' because they're better players in midfield like Gilmour and McGinn. McTominay has absolutely nothing on these players.

From my recollection Sohthgate merely sent him a text about his England chances whereas Alex McCleish met him in person in Manchester to 'persuade' him to declare for Scotland. This is based on Brian McClairs account of events. Southgate instead focused his energy on getting Declan Rice to turn his back on the republic of Ireland. Well that's how Roy Keane probably viewed it! Must be nice to be McTominay, pushed forward without merit at club and national level

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Time for MCT to get another 3 year extension. Nothing like having a good poster boy for mediocrity

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's a poor player. People want him to be this great squad player like the ones we've had in the past but he's not got the tools.

El__Jingo

yet another shocking performance, been saying this for months he's easily the worst player to have ever played 150 games for the club.

when people try and claim this lad is a great squad option... in what scenario is a player who has no use to a team starting a game going to be a great option off the bench? no attacking threat, cant pass a ball, cant defend, cant tackle .. sooner we get rid of dead players like this pretender the quicker we can get back to where we belong.

Andersonson

RVP and Rio had their careers finished by Moyes. Because they were basically crocks, SAF had agreed ultra-light training regimes for both, and in Rio’s case never played him more than once a week. Moyes came along, made them do the same training as the rest of the squad and played them week in week out.
Yes and these were two of leaders in the dressing room and basically finished at players at this level. Maybe we couldve scrapped a year more out of them, but getting rid was the only option. Fergie did leave an aging injury-hit squad to his successor. Almost an impossible task

Kostov

I think it was not a red, but shat my pants because we very rarely get those brakes and the right decision lately. He could have been sent off easily considering the way the Leicester arseholes reacted like the guy got killed.

mikeyt

Couldn't agree more, I don't think he's terrible but a squad option he could and should be for now. He's nowhere near good enough to be in our starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.