5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

That's great. We don't need footballers who can generally put out acceptable performances. A couple of moments here and there are enough to meet our ambitions of being a top 6 club for eternity.

This thread isn't about Mctominay's team mates, it's about him. If we're talking about team mates let's compare our only two real central midfielders who aren't leaving the club or finished- Fred and Mctominay. Fred for all his faults is twice the footballer Mctominay is and has again shown that this season.
This is RedCafe mate. Speaking about players in their own performance thread isn't allowed. In order for any criticism to be valid; you have to first absolve the player in question by blaming the whole team.

Idxomer

Yes, because all of his team mates are really playing world class football.

How about when McTominay set up Bruno for a golden chance in the first half? No. Didn't see it? How about when he sliced the Arsenal defence with a pass to Lingard, which Lingard miss controlled? Didn't see that, either?

Oh. Forgot. We have to have a scapegoat and absolve everyone else. Silly me.

Let's just forget about Bruno missing his penalty, too.
A couple of moments in a sea of shit, you don't have to defend him just because he's your countryman.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is RedCafe mate. Speaking about players in their own performance thread isn't allowed. In order for any criticism to be valid; you have to first absolve the player in question by blaming the whole team.
Look, context can be used to gauge a players potential. For example Sancho clearly looks a really talented footballer who will hopefully benefit from a better more cohesive team soon. Or if we don't want to look that high up on the talent chart, even Fred despite the season the team is having generally puts out performances of a certain level.

Mcomtinay on the other hand is a CM who can't pass. Whose main strength is his physical strength/frame. That's how low we've stooped. Can't wait for us to sign a few midfielders so he can become our new fellaini.

Chripper

That's great. We don't need footballers who can generally put out acceptable performances. A couple of moments here and there are enough to meet our ambitions of being a top 6 club for eternity.

This thread isn't about Mctominay's team mates, it's about him. If we're talking about team mates let's compare our only two real central midfielders who aren't leaving the club or finished- Fred and Mctominay. Fred for all his faults is twice the footballer Mctominay is and has again shown that this season.
Once again, what you just said there is applicable to any of our squad.

I really hope you're rinsing all of the other United players like you're doing with Scott.

There were people here who were 100% certain that McTominay would br thrown in the reserves when RR arrived. Or rather, they hoped.

How about we back the team?

There's talk about disharmony in the dressing room and toxic behaviour. Yeah, well, some fans are just as bad.

Robbie Boy

Look, context can be used to gauge a players potential. For example Sancho clearly looks a really talented footballer who will hopefully benefit from a better more cohesive team soon. Or if we don't want to look that high up on the talent chart, even Fred despite the season the team is having generally puts out performances of a certain level.

Mcomtinay on the other hand is a CM who can't pass. Whose main strength is his physical strength/frame. That's how low we've stooped. Can't wait for us to sign a few midfielders so he can become our new fellaini.
Aye.

Thing is, I actually think McT could be an ok-ish squaddie as a B2B midfielder. However, the role he plays, he's just not suited to. Ultimately, I would be surprised if he survived more than 2 seasons into ETH's reign.

amolbhatia50k

Once again, what you just said there is applicable to any of our squad.

I really hope you're rinsing all of the other United players like you're doing with Scott.
Only those that aren't good enough and deserve it.

How about we back the team?

No ill back the club. If a player isn't interested I'd want him out. If a player isn't good enough I'd prefer him replaced/upgraded on.

Chripper

Only those that aren't good enough and deserve it.
We're going to finish 7th. When we do, come back to me and list the players who, according to you, don't deserve criticism.

No ill back the club. If a player isn't interested I'd want him out. If a player isn't good enough I'd prefer him replaced/upgraded on.
McTominay cares more than most.

Not good enough? Again, when we finish 7th come back and tell me who you deem "good enough".

amolbhatia50k

We're going to finish 7th. When we do, come back to me and list the players who, according to you, don't deserve criticism.

McTominay cares more than most.

Not good enough? Again, when we finish 7th come back and tell me who you deem "good enough".
He's in the second category.

I could do that right now but you actually want me to make the effort of doing thus for every player? Just so you can feel good about Mctominay having decent company or something ?

Basically your response to criticism of Mctominay is that we have been bad this season. I wonder if the players who play for us have anything to do with that.

FerociousCorgis

People don't seem to understand when someone says a player is trash and not good enough to play for united it doesn't mean that said player will go around shanking everything and falling over trying to make a simple pass or something. Pretty much the worst player in prem can still make a good pass or nice play every once in a while. What they mean is that player just isn't up to the consistent standards needed to play for a supposed top team in the world.

That is exactly what Mctominay is. Sure every once in a while he might make a singular great individual play, all players at this overall level will. Problem is he clearly isn't at the overall technical level to be a starting midfielder for a top club week in and week out. There's no shame in being a mid to low table midfielder in the English premier league. That's the level he is at

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
People don't seem to understand when someone says a player is trash and not good enough to play for united it doesn't mean that said player will go around shanking everything and falling over trying to make a simple pass or something. Pretty much the worst player in prem can still make a good pass or nice play every once in a while. What they mean is that player just isn't up to the consistent standards needed to play for a supposed top team in the world.

That is exactly what Mctominay is. Sure every once in a while he might make a singular great individual play, all players at this overall level will. Problem is he clearly isn't at the overall technical level to be a starting midfielder for a top club week in and week out. There's no shame in being a mid to low table midfielder in the English premier league. That's the level he is at
I agree and yet we totally fell apart as a side when him and Fred got injured

Maniron

For McT to shine he needs better players around him. If we were challenging for the title I think he would be looking and performing a lot better. As it is I have always found him to be anonymous when the going gets tough and when the crowd gets disgruntled he goes into hiding.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which speaks volumes about the alternatives but tells us very little about McT.
Its tells us he has a right to say what he said about those in the dressing room actually

Secondly it shows why they were both picked ahead of players like Pogba whilst fans were complaining

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
For someone who is supposed to have "an engine" and be constantly around the pitch, he was incredibly passive today. The CM position is demanding, and his lethargic behaviour is detrimental when out of possession

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its tells us he has a right to say what he said about those in the dressing room actually

Secondly it shows why they were both picked ahead of players like Pogba whilst fans were complaining
I’ve no problem with anything he says. I just don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough to start games for us. Other than when the alternatives are “player like Pogba” anyway.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
His lackadaisical jogging back when other teams break on us drives me up the fecking wall.
It's truly embarrassing. Elneny today ran his socks off for Arsenal, and in my opinion is not as good as McT technically. His output for Arsenal far outweighed Scott's.

Just dont understand the value he adds

CloneMC16

I don't see that. He's part of the problem. He's one of the players that has played in most games this season. We've definitely been worse recently, but we haven't been good for any period of time across the season. You usually get a run of a few games where you'd say we played well and got results there. We haven't had that at all. We've had some okay performances, but the results mostly weren't there.

I don't think any player can talk much shit about their teammates this season. None of them have been consistent. McT, Shaw, Maguire, and De Gea have all come out and taken snide jabs at their teammates in interviews. It doesn't make any of them look good.

Roboc7

I don't see that. He's part of the problem. He's one of the players that has played in most games this season. We've definitely been worse recently, but we haven't been good for any period of time across the season. You usually get a run of a few games where you'd say we played well and got results there. We haven't had that at all. We've had some okay performances, but the results mostly weren't there.

I don't think any player can talk much shit about their teammates this season. None of them have been consistent. McT, Shaw, Maguire, and De Gea have all come out and taken snide jabs at their teammates in interviews. It doesn't make any of them look good.
His comments are well intended but also out of touch, he’s trying too hard to be a leader when he simply isn’t one. He can’t do his own job, once he can do that he can worry about others. He’s also very guilty of ball watching, not being available for passes and jogging around too often to be calling anyone else out.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It's a bunch of PR nonsense to big himself up for the new manager and makes himself look like one of the leaders in the team.

One of the biggest frauds at the club.
Fraud. The Caf know it all word of the week.
“PR” Nonsense is another word the CAF likes to spew.

Not like McT was actually saying some home truths and maybe showing some leadership material.

That being said even if Ronaldo had said the same thing “PR” Nonsense would still be thrown about.

It’s the ol’ CAF faithful thought process. Anything positive is good PR nonsense and not to be believed & all bad news is like it came from god himself and to be believed.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
His comments are well intended but also out of touch, he’s trying too hard to be a leader when he simply isn’t one. He can’t do his own job, once he can do that he can worry about others. He’s also very guilty of ball watching, not being available for passes and jogging around too often to be calling anyone else out.
Sounds and looks like leadership material to me.

Idxomer

“PR” Nonsense is another word the CAF likes to spew.

Not like McT was actually saying some home truths and maybe showing some leadership material.

That being said even if Ronaldo had said the same thing “PR” Nonsense would still be thrown about.

It’s the ol’ CAF faithful thought process. Anything positive is good PR nonsense and not to be believed & all bad news is like it came from god himself and to be believed.
There's nothing positive he said, and yes it's nonsense and hilarious coming from him of all people.

If McTominay is a leader in this dressing room, it's no wonder it has gone to shit.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
There's nothing positive he said, and yes it's nonsense and hilarious coming from him of all people.

If McTominay is a leader in this dressing room, it's no wonder it has gone to shit.
So no one can be a leader unless their world class by that comment?

Neville was our captain, Fletcher, Young, Valencia. All captains and leaders within the squad.

Why the heck is ithilarious? When it’s been spouted on here from various posters all throughout the season. But because it’s coming from McT it’s hilarious? Or nonsense?

But it’s perfectly ok coming from a fan?

So in that regard. What do you want him to say?

Roboc7

Leaders don’t ball watch, jog around or go missing. They do their job first, he talks a good game but can’t back it up. Whenever I see him in an interview he comes across very well but it’s just talk, same as everyone in this squad, all talk no action.

Sylar

Sounds like one
But speaking like one is not good when he's not performing like one

It's all well to talk about shying away from the ball, but he's as guilty as anybody from doing that. He's a midfielder that seems to do his utmost to avoid getting the ball especially when our defence has it

The one time I can think of him showing some balls was the Europa League final. There are hardly any standout performances from him or even a string of consistent games where he's looked decent

Idxomer

So no one can be a leader unless their world class by that comment?

Neville was our captain, Fletcher, Young, Valencia. All captains and leaders within the squad.

Why the heck is ithilarious? When it’s been spouted on here from various posters all throughout the season. But because it’s coming from McT it’s hilarious? Or nonsense?

But it’s perfectly ok coming from a fan?

So in that regard. What do you want him to say?
Every one of those was miles better than McTominay. Valencia and Young weren't good captains, especially the latter. And yes, having a certain amount of quality is needed for a captain of Manchester United. It's called leading by example, there's no reason for other players to listen to the likes of McTominay and Maguire when they can't even do their jobs properly.

"Going out on the pitch and showing a bit of balls in your performances"

You don't find this bit hilarious? Fake passion is his schtick like you have your own here playing the devil's advocate and being wrong all the time. The rest are just soundbites to appeal to the fans and the next manager.

I don't also care whta's coming from the rest of the fans, the biggest problem with this squad is the lack of quality from the players and the coaches. Most of what we hear is just noise to distract from the main problem.

AFC NimbleThumb

He completed 23 passes and had 70% pass success overall.

Elneny who doesn't even stand out in Egypt's midfield completed 62 passes.
Further proof he doesn’t show for the ball. Any midfielder worth their salt who’s making themselves available gets more than 23 made passes ffs!

I still remember the idiots after he scored 2 against Leeds, we’ve wholeheartedly done this to ourselves. We shouldn’t accept a midfield with this guy in it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His lackadaisical jogging back when other teams break on us drives me up the fecking wall.
Referees often run back at bigger intensity when opposition counter attacks us than him. It's quite amazing how he does that for years now and no one from our coaching team has warned him about that.

Irwin99

To be fair he is just back from injury and probably rushed back. Do people question his engine/stamina? because to me it's always been his lack of passing range and generally being unconvincing as a DM that i've questioned the most about him. Always played better when he's got licence to arrive in the oppo box.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians

He has more right to be a leader than most of the squad.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree and yet we totally fell apart as a side when him and Fred got injured
I generally don't have a problem with him being in our strongest 11 with the options that we've got. As much of a problem that I think he is, he still provides more stability and consistency to the team than Matic and Pogba generally do.

The big problem is that after all these years he's still arguably our second best central midfielder despite it being such an obvious issue (Fred being our best). We don't seem to have put any urgency into actually improving the position, which is unbelievable negligence by the club.
As for Scott himself I don't blame him for most of his limitations, but the two things he does that really do frustrate me is how he actively seems to position himself so that his team-mates can't pass him the ball, and how he is so lazy at getting back when the opposition get behind him. He's ok when the opposition are in front of him or within his reach, but once they get past him he just jogs back with no urgency at all. He's certainly not the only one in the team that does it, but it's extra frustrating with him considering that work-rate and drive are the things that he's supposedly best at.

In Rainbows

To be fair he is just back from injury and probably rushed back. Do people question his engine/stamina? because to me it's always been his lack of passing range and generally being unconvincing as a DM that i've questioned the most about him. Always played better when he's got licence to arrive in the oppo box.
That's actually part of the reason why as a DM is unconvincing. He doesn't track back well, or track runners well.

The problem with him having license to arrive in the oppo box is that he lacks talent. He's limited in that aspect and the most he can muster is a Jonjo Shelvey type attacking output. Why bother with giving him that role when there are more talented players out there?

Eddy_JukeZ

If he's still starting games next season, I give up.

He's a horrid footballer.

I mean, he plays as a CB for Scotland. That should tell you everything about what they think of him as a midfielder and they're not exactly loaded for options.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians

I mean, he plays as a CB for Scotland. That should tell you everything about what they think of him as a midfielder and they're not exactly loaded for options.
Actually, they're very strong in midfield and have many options. CB, not so much.

Chripper

How do you know? Apart from McGinn, can you name another Scotland midfielder?

There's McGregor, Jack, Gilmour. Add McGinn to the mix. All four could play for any team in the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.