5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSSnake

It seemed like he was all over the park today. Great performance. A lot of fans were screwing about McFred today but they are easily our best midfielders behind Bruno & Pogba. Like all I want to see more from Donny and I hope he gets a chance next to either player.

Dante

Average bang
My name's Brightonian and I'd like to say
It was a good game from McTominay
I hope you don't think that I'm rude
Cos I think Scott's a real cool dude
Word to your mother

criticalanalysis

Relishes a battle, struggles with a puzzle.

This wasn't some standout 'best ever performance' from him. He plays like this quite often for us. I'd say about 40% of his games for us over his career have been around this level. He's a much better footballer than he gets credit for.

The biggest downturn in our performance today happened when Scotty came off and Matic on, and that's no coincidence.
True.

As for the drop off, I'd say it's more to do with the fact the game was already won, we had naturally lowered our energy/intensity and then there was a few subs from both sides afterwards.

Very good game from him today. When there's space and he can get right up in player's faces and in passages of play and be involved in those short 5-10 yard passes, he's got good ability. It's when he finds himself needing to dictate play, finding space in a congested midfield that he has bigger problems. To be fair that's not unique to him in the squad but he's got the most to grow in this aspect, even if it's not something natural for him.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Very good performance today.

The midfield definitely looked worse when he came off.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's actually a bit of a freight train when he drives forward with the ball. Big long strides on him.

His passing was good today too which is usually his weakness. If he can keep that level of passing up then he really can be a top midfielder.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Jose bringing him into the team was probably one of the very few good things Jose did for us.
It is one of the few things I would credit him with, but Jose didn’t give him any license at all. He was purely brought in to win the ball in the floor and in the air and pass it immediately.

Ole gave him lots more freedom and he is almost an old fashioned box to box midfielder

tjb

Thats what the complaints are about. Fred and Mctominay would be brilliant for us of they were rotating for each other like Fletcher and Anderson were. Getting a DM next to them would allow for this to happen. That way when we need to slow the game down, cover the spaces in midfield or recycle possession, they won't need to have that responsibility.

Red_toad

What is with this Goldbridge (United Stand) and his hate for McT? Even said VdB should have played tonight instead of McTominey. And he said it after the match.
Why do you watch him is more the question? Does nothing but moan and whinge, stop watching his content, I recommend it as a worthwhile thing to do!

Based Adnan

It is one of the few things I would credit him with, but Jose didn’t give him any license at all. He was purely brought in to win the ball in the floor and in the air and pass it immediately.

Ole gave him lots more freedom and he is almost an old fashioned box to box midfielder
To be fair and far be it for me to defend Jose but I do remember him acknowledging that publicly and saying Scott is capable of much more like scoring goals but he's asking him to play a limited role.

Brightonian

He will be our most improved player this season. Plays like he did today and we may not need another midfielder just yet
Definitely still do, because he was playing in the position that actually suits him, box-to-box, not as DM where we need reinforcement. He'll look even better if paired with a real DM, rather than Fred doing his best in a position that doesn't entirely suit him either.

Which is beside the point, anyway. You're right, Scotty's going to have a big season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Had great games in EC Final and now as B2B.

Hth, his position as DM is wank. Few times today Leeds were free on the middle to shoot. Area where a DM should be. Maybe he’ll learn. Maybe he won’t.

El Zoido

He gets better and better. He's just a really good footballer, knows how to learn, and I can see him having a long career with us. The Fletcher comparisons are apt, despite them being different kinds of players. Could anyone say he looks out of depth compared to the rest of the rest of the squad? I couldn't.

MiracleInMadrid

Very important to our collective expression as a team. At times in the first half, Leeds almost succeeded in creating chaos with their pressing, but Scott brilliantly demounted their pressure several times. So important to have a player like him, who understands how to use his body. Fred gets overrun far more easy.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I love the way he carries the ball and runs forward with it. He did a lot of that in the EL final and I'm glad he's brought that into this season!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have said it many times before, if there is a season to see McTominay's real potential in consistent basis will be this season. Fletcher started his best in 08/09 season and he was 24-25 years old, which common age for midfielders to start showing their best. The same age with McTominay now. Let's see if he can do it this season.

DoomSlayer

Scott is very agile and aware in tight spaces for the physical body frame he has, I'm kind of amazed when he performs to his top levels. I believe the only thing he lacks is tempo control against teams that sit back against us. He starts losing a bit of concentration when the ball gets recycled through him too much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have said it many times before, if there is a season to see McTominay's real potential in consistent basis will be this season. Fletcher started his best in 08/09 season and he was 24-25 years old, which common age for midfielders to start showing their best. The same age with McTominay now. Let's see if he can do it this season.
Not to mention that Fletcher was seen as being unusually advanced for his age, to the extent that Fergie challenged the league rules to try and get him a league debut when he wasn’t old enough to be allowed.

RedDevilRoshi

I thought he was absolutely excellent. Energetic, getting stuck in, driving really well forward with ball. He’s developed into a fine player for us under Ole.

Top notch performance from Scotty!

lost7

He was involved in the build-up of 2 goals on Saturday with some sharp forward passing... This is what I love to see from Scotty, more of it please

SoCross

Not to mention that Fletcher was seen as being unusually advanced for his age, to the extent that Fergie challenged the league rules to try and get him a league debut when he wasn’t old enough to be allowed.
Can’t recall this but yeah, he was highly thought of as a young player. Hope McT can emulate.

SoCross

Googled it and I misremembered. Fergie didn’t try to change the rules. He wanted to play him at 15 but the rules didn’t allow it.

Link
Thanks for the link! Fergie just had an eye for talent and grit, I wager Scott may have broken through under him too.

romufc

I really like him. I never understand the hate he gets on here at times.
He didn't play for another team. For some fans you are not allowed to make mistakes.

They get excited over players who play for other teams and ignore the ones we have. It is clear that the manager rates him and he is constantly improving.

SATA

He's definitely a box to box midfielder and a very good one at doing that role. He's not going to dictate games like a Modric or Kroos but he's in my starting XI every week. He's not afraid to carry the ball, not afraid to shoot, loves a tackle and is a threat on set pieces with his strength and height. Glad he's ours

Sea-Cow

I thought he about to recreate last year when he burst in the box early on, but he hesitated a bit and his shot got blocked.

It would have been huge!

Art

Art the artist
He looks different this season in terms of ability. There's an urgency to his game that's been sorely missed last year. Hope he strings 4-5 top quality performances like the one against Leeds, which'll convince me that he's starting XI material for United. Fantastic on Saturday.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
McTominay wouldn’t have been the most talented youngster but he’s obviously got a great attitude and you can see him always adding bits to his game, which is massive. I‘d bet there’s no one working harder than him at training and most top sides have a place for someone like him. He’s obviously got similarities with Fletcher but also the old Juventus players who played for Lippi. Good, reliable, versatile footballers. Think he’ll have a big season.

sillwuka

He's actually a fantastic asset to our team. Title winning teams need players like this who are experienced internationals who will bleed for the shirt but also not complain when benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.