5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewnited

Good to see him getting so much love! I genuinely think he's a very talented player - his ball carrying and shooting ability is beyond the vast majority of midfielders his age, consistency in his performances will come with time.

His skillset means he's suited to a traditional box-to-box role and I think he'll be a top player in a couple of years if he nails that spot.

romufc

I don't understand why so many fans hate him. He is a good player, he always gives his all on the pitch. It seems every time he is selected, twitter goes mad driven by alot of big United fan accounts.

Its quite sad to see so many fans dislike a player who does well. If you listen to ex United pros they all talk very highly of McTominay.

Sometimes we as fans just want the popular name in the team sheet rather than a player who is functional.

Krits

I have time for both Him and Fred. But maybe not together in the same team (unless a very defensive setup is needed). Together they bring down the collective technical ability in the midfield a little too much and teams that press us high get an advantage as they take just that little bit longer to move the ball along. Individually, they are an important cog of a team that wants to attack. They are the engine room. I think Scott will develop in to a better DM than Fred. He has a better long passing range.

A box to box who has high technical ability next to them would make us a very potent with all the other talent around. I think our coaching staff also understand this but are not rushing to make the wrong buy since they both still do a decent job.

Definitely a likeable character and good mentality and seems to be a winner. I'd rather have him in our squad than not.

Kaizane

I think all that's missing from McT's game is positional intelligence, he has all the attributes to be a top box-to-box midfielder and eventually, holding midfielder. In games where it's open, like the Leeds game, he can do a job in running box to box and in tighter games, with better opposition, hopefully with time he'll learn the positional discipline required to hold the midfield by himself.

Southampton 1:1 Man Utd

Devil may care

This was a weird substitution, I'm not sure what Ole expected McTominay to do in 20 minutes when we needed a goal, and he forced him to play with Matic who was out on his feet.

Mainoldo

If that's Rashford at left wing or Cavani at centreforward, we'd have scored.
Maybe if everyone was on the same him sheet he wouldn’t have turned and randomly fizzed that ball across.

JuriM

We really need a +1 starter in the midfield.. Fred, McT and Matic ain't enough.

theklr

Fecking hell, our midfield is wide open now.. all our other combinations are far worse. Will VDB finally get a lookin with Matic or Fred ? Or are we getting Pogba back down there..

Good timing that we have the international break soon at least. Need another midfielder now imo.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think we are about to learn pretty quickly what a key player McT is for us.

El B

As good as Utd were against Leeds, Leeds were equally as bad. Feel like there has been some real overrating of his performance, he did well because the entire Leeds midfield would routinely go missing. He'd win possession and have all the time in the world to pick his passes. He's a decent squad player but let's not act like he's the key to the CM. Because if he is we are all in for a rude awakening.

theklr

As good as Utd were against Leeds, Leeds were equally as bad. Feel like there has been some real overrating of his performance, he did well because the entire Leeds midfield would routinely go missing. He'd win possession and have all the time in the world to pick his passes. He's a decent squad player but let's not act like he's the key to the CM. Because if he is we are all in for a rude awakening.
Yeah, but against Southampton one could clearly see how much we missed his energy and progression in midfield.

El B

Yeah, but against Southampton one could clearly see how much we missed his energy and progression in midfield.

It wasn't energy missing. It was people positioning themselves in the right places to receive the ball. It was a complete lack of ideas to beat the press. McT, for all his strengths, doesn't bring that to the table.

jem

One must wonder why he was even brought on as a sub against Southampton given his fitness issues.

theklr

It wasn't energy missing. It was people positioning themselves in the right places to receive the ball. It was a complete lack of ideas to beat the press. McT, for all his strengths, doesn't bring that to the table.
I disagree partly because McT is much more in sync with Fred in terms of how they position themselves in regards to eachother, creating better options for the defence to pass to. It is also better to have one right and one left footed player when under press, than two lefties. On his own I can agree with you, but the pairing is equally important.

He can also cover more ground, presses more intensivly and progress the ball through the midfield alot better than Matic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We seriously have the worst group of people to handle injuries. Try things all summer to handle the injury, and then after 2 games of the season decide to have surgery? fecking incompetence.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I disagree partly because McT is much more in sync with Fred in terms of how they position themselves in regards to eachother, creating better options for the defence to pass to. It is also better to have one right and one left footed player when under press, than two lefties. On his own I can agree with you, but the pairing is equally important.

He can also cover more ground, presses more intensivly and progress the ball through the midfield alot better than Matic.
I agree. It's also because Fred tends to pass to move the ball forward whilst Mctominay tends to run with the ball to do that. It has a good balance to it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He plays in midfield. That already makes him a considerably better option in beating the press than having Matic play in defense. He also carries the ball very well, commiting players and creating space. I've no doubt if he was fit and started with Fred, we would've won comfortably.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ridiculous management. He's been injured all summer now they decide he needs surgery.

Based Adnan

McTominay is one of our best midfielder at beating the press though

VanDeBank

Ma’am
McTominay is one of our best midfielder at beating the press though
By not making himself available for a pass?

I love McTominay, and I think it speaks volume that he was half injured and still put in a fantastic performance against Leeds (before Pogba & Bruno's brilliant 2nd half, he was definitely on his way to MotM), but he's so limited technically and such a poor passer. It'd be good for us if he learned from Donny how to make himself available and then hot potato it back instead of hiding like he does.

He's not been involved in OGs like Fred has, because he shies away from responsibility, not because he's like Busquets. Even when he's not being pressed, he takes his sweet time then passes it sideways.

Teja

Hope we play a 5-3-2 instead of sticking with the dysfunctional Matic / Fred midfield. Identical to the Chelsea system.

------------------------ DDG ---------------------------
------- Varane -- Lindelof -- Maguire ------
--- AWB ------ Pogba -- Fred ----- Shaw ---
--------------------- Bruno ---------------------------
----------- Greenwood -- Rashford ----------

Before people jump and say Bruno + Pogba doesn't work, it will in this system. Bruno is effectively the same role as Mount and Pogba is in the same role as Jorginho. Fred / Kante is the obvious comparison.

Having 3 at the back instead of two will cover up Pogba's inadequacies in defence.

Only weak link is not having an attacking RB like Reece James.

United in sin

I love McTominay, and I think it speaks volume that he was half injured and still put in a fantastic performance against Leeds (before Pogba & Bruno's brilliant 2nd half, he was definitely on his way to MotM), but he's so limited technically and such a poor passer. It'd be good for us if he learned from Donny how to make himself available and then hot potato it back instead of hiding like he does.

He's not been involved in OGs like Fred has, because he shies away from responsibility, not because he's like Busquets. Even when he's not being pressed, he takes his sweet time then passes it sideways.
I don't mean to sound rude but how can you love him after correctly identifying all his weaknesses? I think he holds us back as a regular starter but supporters love his energy and the fact he's an academy player or whatever.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't mean to sound rude but how can you love him after correctly identifying all his weaknesses? I think he holds us back as a regular starter but supporters love his energy and the fact he's an academy player or whatever.
Because the OP said he is press resistant and I disagree with that?

I think for a ping pong type match where just finding someone in red is sufficient in possession he can be starter.

If he improves on his defending, maybe he could become a more proper destroyer.

Based Adnan

That's an area he needs to work on for sure but watch our games vs the likes of City and Liverpool and you'll see he always has no problem when pressed and those are the best pressing teams about.

One of his biggest assets is his ability to drive with the ball which he does well whenever he's pressed and there's opportunity to do so. He can definitely improve with his positioning and passing but you don't always need to be a Busquets in order to beat the press.

IrishRedDevil

Why did he wait for the season to start before getting surgery?

Apparently it was an underlying issue that had been causing him trouble for some time?

Sylar

He would have left a mark on Adama early for sure. No way he bounces around and ends up on the floor as much as Fred did.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Apparently it was an underlying issue that had been causing him trouble for some time?
Seems like they thought they would be able to manage it without requiring surgery.

Augustus Gloop

Does anyone have any clue as to how long Scott will be out? I find no return date online.
4-8 weeks.
His message on social media suggests he’ll be “back sooner than you think” so he might be back before the end of September?

The only time I remember him having an issue with his groin was when he was pulled off against Leeds at the end of that 6-2 result. He was then rushed back for the Leicester game which we drew.

That was obviously ages ago but I wonder if it has been as long standing as that?

Status
Not open for further replies.