5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

His inability to sniff out danger is the main reason we conceded.
A deflection and Varane turning away from the ball was the main reason we conceded.

McTominay was very good today and unlucky not to have an assist after a beautiful pass.

Kag

A deflection and Varane turning away from the ball was the main reason we conceded.

McTominay was very good today and unlucky not to have an assist after a beautiful pass.
Now you’re taking the piss. It’s an absolute fact that McTominay gets dragged into the box for no reason and abdicates his responsibility to protect the midfield. Just watch the goal back. He’s nowhere.

If you can’t see that then you’re refusing to be objective.

Leg-End

He was decent today, not sure what people are seeing to say he was wretched.

OverratedOpinion

Now you’re taking the piss. It’s an absolute fact that McTominay gets dragged into the box for no reason and abdicates his responsibility to protect the midfield. Just watch the goal back. He’s nowhere.

If you can’t see that then you’re refusing to be objective.
We just went away from hone at a tough side and dominated and should have won 4-1. You believe that both our midfielders were "wretched" your own words. I think you are the one who is failing to be objective or assuming we should win every game at least 5-0.

McTominay was good today.

3vra

He is just bad, central midfielder who cannot pass more then 10 meters, does not have a place in top team. He is just as bad as Fred in that aspect, i have seen central defenders in Polish League with better passing skills then them. What is more they do not have any positional sense in defence they just trying to run a lot from different angles hoping the ball will bounce somewhere off them.

Who was taking care of Benrahma ? They were not even 10 meters from him.

When Maguire Lost the ball to Bowen and Benrahma why there was not one central midfielder to help him ?

That pass Matic made to Lingard, they both are not able to provide for entire match and if they try one, 9 out of 10 times they will lose It and our play is stopped.

I just cannot watch them play anymore. We start the match with 9 men.

I know he gives 100%, he is homeground etc but he is just not good footballer, he would be perfect for 2nd half/relegation battle team.
I would take that Rice leave McT Fred and even promised that we wont try to buy Haaland.
That is how bad we need to buy players in that position.

Brightonian

Not bad. Touch rusty after his injury which he normally is. But lots of good moments. Markedly better than Fred.

It's clear that the Fred/Matic #6 position is the one that needs a new starter. In Pogba and McTominay we've got pretty strong box-to-box options.

Kag

We just went away from hone at a tough side and dominated and should have won 4-1. You believe that both our midfielders were "wretched" your own words. I think you are the one who is failing to be objective or assuming we should win every game at least 5-0.

McTominay was good today.
Not at all. My posting history would suggest otherwise.

I can be happy that we won while also acknowledging that our midfielders were terrible. In McTominay’s defence, he was less terrible than Fred. But being busy and doing some nice things with the ball does not make up for consistently failing to be in the right place at the right time.

OverratedOpinion

Not at all. My posting history would suggest otherwise.

I can be happy that we won while also acknowledging that our midfielders were terrible. In McTominay’s defence, he was less terrible than Fred. But being busy and doing some nice things with the ball does not make up for consistently failing to be in the right place at the right time.
I think you are expecting him to be in positions that it is not his job to be in personally. I think more and more it is evident that Fred is not a holding midfielder and unfortunately that makes his teammates look worse than they are, I do not hate Fred and always feel bad for a player when they become the scapegoat but unfortunately, it is true. I will say it again, I think McTominay was good today, his passes through the lines were beautiful at times and he did his job defensively which is to be busy and a nuisance.

Kag

I think you are expecting him to be in positions that it is not his job to be in personally. I think more and more it is evident that Fred is not a holding midfielder and unfortunately that makes his teammates look worse than they are, I do not hate Fred and always feel bad for a player when they become the scapegoat but unfortunately, it is true. I will say it again, I think McTominay was good today, his passes through the lines were beautiful at times and he did his job defensively which is to be busy and a nuisance.
I’m expecting him not to get sucked inside the box in the way he did for the goal. If he had any defensive awareness he’d have been aware of Benrahma instead of trying to hold Maguire’s hand in the penalty area.

Now if this was a one-off thing I wouldn’t mind. But it isn’t. He is really poor when it comes to sniffing out the danger around the penalty area. You just need to look at Rice to see how it should be done. There’s so much more to being a defensive midfielder than being a nuisance.

The bizarre thing about all of this is that McTominay would still be in my first choice starting eleven. He isn’t good enough but he’s probably the most competent we have.

OverratedOpinion

I’m expecting him not to get sucked inside the box in the way he did for the goal. If he had any defensive awareness he’d have been aware of Benrahma instead of trying to hold Maguire’s hand in the penalty area.

Now if this was a one-off thing I wouldn’t mind. But it isn’t. He is really poor when it comes to sniffing out the danger around the penalty area. You just need to look at Rice to see how it should be done. There’s so much more to being a defensive midfielder than being a nuisance.

The bizarre thing about all of this is that McTominay would still be in my first choice starting eleven. He isn’t good enough but he’s probably the most competent we have.
The goal was not Mctominay's fault. Maguire ran out to left back rather than passing his man on, Fred decides to vacate the midfield to cover his position (even though Maguire is moving back into position at that point) then stays there. McTominay is doing what his job is which is moving to pressure the ball and West Ham move the ball very well and get very lucky with a deflection because Varane does not block the ball properly.

It is a deflected goal from 25 yards after a nice move and you choose that to say McTominay was "wretched" after being one of the best players on the pitch and passing the ball beautifully whilst running his socks of?

The Hilton

Pressed very well, and although he started off a bit poor on the ball, he grew into the match and ended up using it really well, including a fantastic ball through to Ronaldo!

Kag

The goal was not Mctominay's fault. Maguire ran out to left back rather than passing his man on, Fred decides to vacate the midfield to cover his position (even though Maguire is moving back into position at that point) then stays there. McTominay is doing what his job is which is moving to pressure the ball and West Ham move the ball very well and get very lucky with a deflection because Varane does not block the ball properly.

It is a deflected goal from 25 yards after a nice move and you choose that to say McTominay was "wretched" after being one of the best players on the pitch and passing the ball beautifully whilst running his socks of?
Go into the post match thread and watch the goal. He gets sucked in from a good position, double marks the same man as Maguire, and isn’t aware of Benrahma coming in behind him. I’m leaving this now as you clearly have no interest in being reasonable. If you were, you’d just admit to the above. It’s quite literally what happens.

OverratedOpinion

Go into the post match thread and watch the goal. He gets sucked in from a good position, double marks the same man as Maguire, and isn’t aware of Benrahma coming in behind him. I’m leaving this now as you clearly have no interest in being reasonable. If you were, you’d just admit to the above. It’s quite literally what happens.
I literally watched it twice before typing that post then typed blow by blow what happened. You are wrong in your opinion about it and even if you were right (you are not) then he still played well and did his job properly today.

I am the first to criticise our midfield, only when justified though.

Thiagoal

We look a totally different team when he plays. We appear to have far more possession and don’t get caught on the counter nearly as much. Considering he’s not played in over a month I thought he was fantastic

Kag

I literally watched it twice before typing that post then typed blow by blow what happened. You are wrong in your opinion about it and even if you were right (you are not) then he still played well and did his job properly today.

I am the first to criticise our midfield, only when justified though.
I’d perhaps take up a new sport then. Tiddlywinks is fun.

Drainy

He is just bad, central midfielder who cannot pass more then 10 meters,
If anything it was his passing of less than 10m that was the problem, but that seemed to improve as the match went on. He had some really good progressive long passes today..

Sylar

Not bad considering his first game back. Hopefully gets up to speed quickly, as he was poor at passing a few times

OverratedOpinion

I’d perhaps take up a new sport then. Tiddlywinks is fun.
Great, I think we have different ideas of fun but do you.

I would take up a lesson in not letting pre-existing opinions based on the past totally dictate your opinions of the present.

Nick7

Decent game today. Was worried he’d be far off the pace coming back from injury. Some very nice passes dotted throughout the game.

He was OK today, about the same as Fred. He needs to get on the ball far more though if he's not going to play the positional game. He isn't in the game enough otherwise.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor first half, much better second. He’s not good enough to be a starter but he’s well better than Fred. What does that say about our midfield?

EtH

All over the place today. Hopefully not rushed back from injury.

eire-red

He does usually take a few games to play back to form after he's been injured. Will be inmportant to us this season. Still question marks about his ability on the ball.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That one pass to Ronaldo was sublime.
Agreed and, even though it wasn't his best game, just having Scott's physicality in there against West Ham was vital today.

Fred and Matic would have been treated like traffic cones today. We needed the energy Scott offers.

shahzy

Get him and Pogba to play. If it keeps Fred out the team, it is a positive

United in sin

Outside of his very good through ball to Ronaldo he went hiding and provided very little. I can't see why Solskjaer rushed him back, leaving out the fit DVB and Matic (who ended up creating the assist for the winner). Declan Rice dominated that midfield

CG1010

Impressed by his forward passing in general today and obviously it was a welcome change seeing our midfield player winning some 50-50s. He is probably going to be the first choice midfielder for us

Strats

Rusty, but stabilises the middle of the park compared to when Pogba plays alongside Fred.

Hopefully he kicks on even more when he has more games under his belt

mav_9me

Not bad. Touch rusty after his injury which he normally is. But lots of good moments. Markedly better than Fred.

It's clear that the Fred/Matic #6 position is the one that needs a new starter. In Pogba and McTominay we've got pretty strong box-to-box options.
I agree with you. Surprised to see so many critical posts. At the very least he passed fine. Quite a few thru the lines passing.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Outside of his very good through ball to Ronaldo he went hiding and provided very little. I can't see why Solskjaer rushed him back, leaving out the fit DVB and Matic (who ended up creating the assist for the winner). Declan Rice dominated that midfield
He really didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.