Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's not a sitting CDM, neither is Fred which is why it's so baffling that Ole continues to play 4-2-3-1 formation. I keep saying that we should be playing 4-3-3.

Bruno - Matic - Fred

It means Bruno drops deeper, but he'd still be the more attacking CM. Keep the midfield tight, the two CM's press and Matic sits back, screening the defense. This formation can also work with Mctom, DVB or Pogba in place of Fred.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
McTominay was playing as a lone midfielder on Wednesday it's hardly fair to point fingers at him alone as the main problem. The team was all over the place with its supposed new formation.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's not a sitting CDM, neither is Fred which is why it's so baffling that Ole continues to play 4-2-3-1 formation. I keep saying that we should be playing 4-3-3.

Bruno - Matic - Fred

It means Bruno drops deeper, but he'd still be the more attacking CM. Keep the midfield tight, the two CM's press and Matic sits back, screening the defense. This formation can also work with Mctom, DVB or Pogba in place of Fred.
Matic is our best passer playing deep. However, due to his age, he just cannot press anymore, which is a vital part of a defensive midfielder's job. Fred is our best presser. Because both himself and McTominay are not natural defensive midfielders Ole tries to balance the team with their inclusions. A lot of us seem to think all the coaches the club pays to think and work with these players are brainless and don't know their football.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We've had a lot of games this season where either Fred or Mctominay have been left in midfield on their own. I doubt you'll ever see them do anything but struggle in that role as they aren't suited to it, and we also as a team don't play in a way that would allow anyone to play well in that role. You can't pick up 2-3 players running past you at once and it's happening every couple of minutes.

It works for City because they box teams in and move up the pitch as a unit. We press from the front but then drop off and leave space, and usually stop pressing effectively at all after 15 minutes or so.

It's worrying that they still look poor when paired together at the moment, but also completely predictable seeing as we have no one else we can play there and neither are at a level where they can coast through at 6/10 and still be effective without someone better alongside them

Godfather

It works for City because they box teams in and move up the pitch as a unit. We press from the front but then drop off and leave space, and usually stop pressing effectively at all after 15 minutes or so.
That's very true and incredibly frustrating

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Matic is our best passer playing deep. However, due to his age, he just cannot press anymore, which is a vital part of a defensive midfielder's job. Fred is our best presser. Because both himself and McTominay are not natural defensive midfielders Ole tries to balance the team with their inclusions. A lot of us seem to think all the coaches the club pays to think and work with these players are brainless and don't know their football.
That's why having two players who can press next to Matic, who as you say is our best passer playing deep, makes sense. Atleast worth trying in some games rather than constantly doing the same thing?

Mickson

You’re taking what I say far too literally. His positional sense isn’t at the level required. Hence he is far less involved than other players better suited for the role.
yeah I know, and I agree that his positional sense isn't the greatest but I think we can get much more out of him in that position. Our team just needs to be tighter, he has far too much ground to cover which obviously isn't great for his positional sense.

Man Utd 1:1 Everton

Zoo

So sick of him. We’re playing with 10 men when he starts. What does he actually do?

Skills

Snitch
He's shit. Can Ole take him as part of his compensation package, when he's eventually sacked?

I can't see many other managers needing a midfielder who's as bad as him on the ball.

Nick7

Not saying much, but I thought he was by far the best of the three players that played in centre midfield today. Something that really shouldn't be happening at United.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fred being shit annoys me, but Scott actively hiding from the ball is unforgivable. Going into the season with those two as our starting midfield pair is negligent.

L1nk

McSauce always been a fecking average player, but he's an academy lad so everyone thinks he's The Terminator, how he gets games here I'll never fathom

Jacob

If Donny doesn't start next game, we're taking the piss.

McT is a poor man's Herrera.

Roboc7

On the plus side he was alright near their box. Defensively he was a shambles though, constantly out of position, no awareness of players around him, doesn’t track runners and doesn’t even have desire to get back.

His passing was poor and it’s simply the unacceptable we regard him as a starter in midfield.

Based Adnan

Lots of people willing to stick the dagger in on a guy who had groin surgery and came straight back to play 350 minutes in 13 days

Thought he was fine today.

acnumber9

He has no idea what a midfielders job is. He offers zero protection to our defence and can’t pass the ball.

Augustus Gloop

Fred being shit annoys me, but Scott actively hiding from the ball is unforgivable. Going into the season with those two as our starting midfield pair is negligent.
What are you going on about? He was on the ball plenty today and showed for it constantly. Fred’s dragging his name through the mud today.

Apokalips

A nidfielder who doesn't want to get on the ball and make things happen is not a Manchester United CM. I am tired of seeing him start so many games.

Man-United

Prefer him over Fred, but we need upgrade for both 2 DM's. Good enough for the squad.

United in sin

Another nothing game from McTominay. Both him and Fred were routinely bypassed whenever Everton decided to get a little adventurous. How long does Solskjaer put up with this?

Before the final whistle Solskjaer was joking and smiling at him (not sure what he was saying but I heard him say 'Scotty' before breaking that smile). He must be content with what he sees

Skills

Snitch
McSauce always been a fecking average player, but he's an academy lad so everyone thinks he's The Terminator, how he gets games here I'll never fathom
This. The other thing that goes in his favour is that he's quite obviously shocking on the ball - so people invented a version of him, that must be good at defending. I mean if he's so bad on the ball - he must be good at something right?

He's actually just bad all-round. Defensively he's shocking because he has no positional sense. And he shouldn't be allowed within 30 yards of the opposition goal, because it means someone with far more ability can now no longer occupy that space.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Doesn't do anything particularly well. Unremarkable would be kind.

marktan

I thought he was good, made numerous runs into their box which allowed us to disrupt their shape. Once Pogba came on, he had to sit deep and our shape became predictable once again.

Zoo

Rio highlighting his part in the goal conceded. Townsend busting a gut to get up the field while McTominay is just strolling. It’s unacceptable. This guy won the lottery when Mourinho gave him that new award and Fergie bigged him up because he’s Scottish.

lost7

Good in the first half, but in the second half he was so bad, couldn't even run.

Sylar

He hides when hes at the back. He doesnt go actively looking for the ball (like Matic). When he does get the ball, hes calm on it and keeps it simple, so thats fine.
He does the late runs into the box well, but in terms of sitting deep, its a waste.

DomM

we aren't winning anything with him and Fred as our main midfielders, so limited in everything they do and so poor at reading the game, they offer next to nothing.

Roboc7

Rio highlighting his part in the goal conceded. Townsend busting a gut to get up the field while McTominay is just strolling. It’s unacceptable. This guy won the lottery when Mourinho gave him that new award and Fergie bigged him up because he’s Scottish.
He does it all the time, no desire to run back and just watches the ball. Has no awareness of danger, who is around him and looks totally lost at times.

JoaquinJoaquin

How does he keep getting starts? Matic should of played over him today. McTominay brings nothing to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.