5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

largelyworried

I feel like he's ended up with the wrong manager in Ole. He's got a lot of games, so there's that. But he just looks like he needs some basic coaching drilled into him.

He continually finds himself stood in the wrong place to make a tackle, the wrong side of the play, the wrong place to receive a pass, or making the wrong decision on the ball. He has the right attributes - we've seen him make good passes and he can shoot and make assists. He'll never be a DM, but he can be bit better at screening the back then he does now. But instead of drilling into him exactly where to go and how to play, Ole just treats him like he does Bruno - go wherever seems cool. Unlike Bruno, that doesn't usually lead him to the right place to be.

You can't help but feel that he would benefit from being under a manager like Tuchel or Conte, who would be absolutely explicit about where he should move and when.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He just can't play agains sides that press you. In tight spaces he struggles and his short passing is awful. So many silly unforced errors.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Solskjaer said: "He was man of the match. By a mile.

"That's the Scott we've seen many times before, you know. He's had his injuries, he's had an operation this season but today I thought he was absolutely brilliant.

"He won his tackles, drove forward, kept the ball simple, switched play, headed away a few set-plays, so [he was] absolutely top."

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

"That's the Scott we've seen many times before, you know. He's had his injuries, he's had an operation this season but today I thought he was absolutely brilliant.

"He won his tackles, drove forward, kept the ball simple, switched play, headed away a few set-plays, so [he was] absolutely top."
Sheesh, I like McT because he tries his best, as limited as he is but Ole really does smoke some strong weed to come up with this take.
McT MoTM by a mile :lol: ? We'll never gonna reach the level we aspire to if our manager finds performances like these that impressive

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Please tell me that was after the Spurs game, not this one.

Gandalf

Thought he was a bit lucky to not get a second yellow for running into/holding back that player... Especially with a European ref
Just saw this and honestly that moment was hilarious. The Atalanta players were diving and cheating all over the pitch but that incident really took the first prize, the player anticipated Scott challenging from behind and so hopped into the air and started screaming before Scott even got there, Scott didn't hold him back rather held him up off the ground with a look of total disgust on his face. I did fear that the ref would fall for it and book him but honestly his opponent should have been carded for blatant simulation and he was far from the only one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Sheesh, I like McT because he tries his best, as limited as he is but Ole really does smoke some strong weed to come up with this take.
McT MoTM by a mile :lol: ? We'll never gonna reach the level we aspire to if our manager finds performances like these that impressive
Those quotes are about the Spurs game. Naughty to post them without context.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It was after the spurs game. My bad. The article from MEN had the quote in an article about the Atalanta game.

El__Jingo

someone earlier said Scott has the wrong coach in Ole? you mean the perfect coach. an inept one who plays him week in and out .. because theres no way a manager with a brain cell would ever use Mctominay for anything other than a few minutes in a grind out win.. just to win a few headers here and there. truthfully though all you mctominay lovers and i know there will be a few of you, try an make me see what you see in this player?. back to my original point, can anyone please tell me any non physical attribute this lad excels at ? because technically i think he seriously struggles to hold down a place for most teams in the PL.

Last edited:

jem

someone earlier said scott has the wrong coach in Ole? you mean the perfect coach. an inept one who plays him week in and out .. because theres no way a manager with a brain cell would ever use mctominay for anything other than a few minutes in a grind out win.. just to win a few headers here and there. truthfully though all you mctominay lovers and i know there will be a few of you, try an make me see what you see in this player? because there is no way a Manchester United fan over the age of 25 can ever tell me they believe hes good enough for this club. the reason i said 25 is because the lucky ones like myself who have grown up knowing nothing but the Fergie era are lucky to have some some of the best footballers the club have produced. as far as i am concerned. so back to my original point, can anyone please tell me any non physical attribute this lad excels at ? because technically i think he seriously struggles to hold down a place for most teams in the PL.
I agree about McTominay, but that was an irritatingly antagonistic post.

NZT-One

I must have watched a different game then.... I thought he put in a decent performance, not amazing, but not like some have posted above. He was popping up all over the pitch pressing, breaking up play, tackling, passing forward and arriving on the edge of the box. His passing has room for improvement, but in terms of executing the job he's there to do, he did it last night. People clearly scoring him down because he got a yellow card. It wasn't a deserved yellow and he continued to play within the boundaries of not getting a 2nd yellow. Had he got sent off, then I'd have a conversation about how he shouldn't have got sent off, but he didn't.
Was the same here. I thought, compared to the matches after his injury, the Atalanta match was at least alright. He was active, some stuff worked but he did is job mostly alright. Hope this trend steadies itself.

I feel like he's ended up with the wrong manager in Ole. He's got a lot of games, so there's that. But he just looks like he needs some basic coaching drilled into him.

He continually finds himself stood in the wrong place to make a tackle, the wrong side of the play, the wrong place to receive a pass, or making the wrong decision on the ball. He has the right attributes - we've seen him make good passes and he can shoot and make assists. He'll never be a DM, but he can be bit better at screening the back then he does now. But instead of drilling into him exactly where to go and how to play, Ole just treats him like he does Bruno - go wherever seems cool. Unlike Bruno, that doesn't usually lead him to the right place to be.

You can't help but feel that he would benefit from being under a manager like Tuchel or Conte, who would be absolutely explicit about where he should move and when.
I think, that applies to many of our players. But have to admit, these sorts mostly go to players like Rashford, Greenwood, Shaw and Fred. McTominay always gives me the impression that he might never be more than a midfielder capable of doing a job. He seems to be alright in many aspects but he isn't excelling anywhere and I am not sure, this will ever be enough to warrant a place in the squad.

That said, I would probably try him as one of three CBs just like he plays for Scotland. I think, this way he has the match going on in front of him, he has the most time on the ball (compared to other positions), we could make something out of his driving runs and he is steely and tall while perfectly fine on the ball (for a CB). In a more modern interpretation of a 3atb system, he might be the CB who is best able to push into midfield and support the players there with some steele.

sp_107

This lad is, and always has been, so bang average. Can the next manager please just put a stop to this facilitation of mediocrity.
I connected with our own academy product romance but the more i see him I think we do better with out him with a proper replacement.
I cant believe we still stuck with finished Matic and an unproven academy player for the most important position on the pitch.

sp_107

Because our expectations are so low, like the Spurs game when he plays ok, it's looked upon as something better than it is. I'm kind of glad Fred isn't playing because fans believe he is the problem, well clearly not. We have played many different partnerships in there without him with the same outcome.
Agreed

Tapori

What if we genuinely find out that Ole is simply on the wrong strains and Pep, Klopp and Tuchel partake in far better creativity-enhancing supplements?

edcunited1878

He's an average footballer who can use his physicality well throughout a season, but not at a level good enough for a central midfielder who starts for Manchester United. A good squad player.

Just look at the midfielders this club has had, starting with Butt, Ince, Fletcher, Carrick. Compare him to those players, who arguably were not world class, but genuinely good players who are better than McTominay.

And then factor in that McTominay doesn't regularly play central midfield in his current national side, plays as a CB in a back 3. John McGinn is the better central midfielder.

Idxomer

Similar to Ole who's not really a manager, McTominay is not a footballer.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
But he scored a goal against City 2 years ago, we all live for those moments don’t we, but we don’t live for actual footballers, and proper coaching. Just moments. Tactics don’t matter.

Roboc7

Just strolling around randomly pointing and ball watching. Embarrassing performance, his lack of effort sums up the rot and bad habits that have ingrained in this team under Ole.

drdoityourself

There was a sequence there in the first half that sums him up. Maguire, Bailly and Lindelöf passed it around trying to move the ball forward with De Bruyne jogging between them. McTominay made sure he was always in a straight line behind De Bruyne so he couldn't possibly receive the ball.

He's lauded for his heart and passion but he really picks certain aspects of the game to show it. Even his running and aggression wasn't there. Just a run of the mill player who coasts because there are others in the firing line. The price tags are irrelevant when they enter the field, they should all be held accountable. He continually underwhelms but no one cares. One of the first names on the teamsheet but his performances have no accountability.

Red Royal

There was a sequence there in the first half that sums him up. Maguire, Bailly and Lindelöf passed it around trying to move the ball forward with De Bruyne jogging between them. McTominay made sure he was always in a straight line behind De Bruyne so he couldn't possibly receive the ball.

He's lauded for his heart and passion but he really picks certain aspects of the game to show it. Even his running and aggression wasn't there. Just a run of the mill player who coasts because there are others in the firing line. The price tags are irrelevant when they enter the field, they should all be held accountable. He continually underwhelms but no one cares. One of the first names on the teamsheet but his performances have no accountability.
Absolutely.. he was much worse than Fred...again

Idxomer

He had a 10 minute period at the start of the second half where he was actually getting involved. Otherwise he may as well have stayed in the dressing room for all the impact that he had.
He was getting involved because City players allowed him to.

As soon as Pep started shouting at them to get it together, we didn't see him again.

United in sin

This boy wouldn't make it at Villa yet finds himself an undisputed starter at United. Another nothing performance from him, and he's one of Solskjaer's soldiers.

You'd think he'd fight for his manager like De Gea. I don't see him keeping a starting berth under the next manager, provided we get someone in who knows what the feck they're doing

edgecutter

He'll be the only one upset when ole goes because his career is fecked when a new coach comes in.

Nick7

Regardless of how good he is or not, I do not get the logic of playing him at the base of midfield in the first half. He’s not a fecking holding midfielder and has none of the attributes for that position yet Ole is convinced that he will do well there. It’s incredibly frustrating that a manager getting paid so much plays him like that.

AFC NimbleThumb

Summed up perfectly.

How can players not playing watch that crap from the bench week on week & have any respect for this set up. Certain players are pulled after 45minutes whereas McT, Fred, Shaw, Maguire are given game after game with no consequence.

-Supreme-

There was a moment in the 1st half when he was literally a few yards closest to the ball than anyone else but he just stood still and let the City players get to it.

Ollie Derbyshire

Pointless player and may as well start with 10 men he does so little. People talk of his strength and physicality. It’s a joke, he has none of that. He’s he biggest coaster we have alongside Pogba.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's nowhere near good enough to be a United player. Never stood out at youth level and he's showing that same form at first team level.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I was his fan but he is absolutely clueless on the pitch, shouldn't be near Manchester United squad let alone first XI. He should be ashamed of that performance, not only hiding for the ball, but he went hiding without the ball too. If I was his teammate I would be pissed at him.

iamBen

He always seems about 10 seconds behind what's going on in front of him and doesn't really engage other than sort of getting near to an opponent before doing it all again. 1 off 100 appearances now....

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
The thing is good coaches will get a limited player doing what he’s good at. They won’t get them to do something they have never been capable of doing and for 3 seasons now we get this same scenario. Some games he looks better than others and then some games he’s absolutely shocking but I wouldn’t even be blaming Mct at this point because surely somewhere down the line the ones picking the team and picking the tactics can see when something isn’t working or when a player isn’t suited to a role he’s been given.

TempusFugit

Has no idea what he's doing. Just jogs around while City players collect possession around him. He's just very average, absolutely terrified of using possession positively too.

MattofManchester

The invisible man.

Honestly, I barely see him. And he plays in our fecking midfield ffs.

It's pretty hard to make yourself invisible in the most busy part of the pitch. He's somehow managed to achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.