Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't understand why we tend to overrate Scottish players so much. I remember when Fletcher was coming up. He was the guy SAF wanted to give his debut to at 16 years of age which is extraordinary considering that Paul Scholes had to wait in his 20s for that. Then Fletcher got his shot and for many years he was simply meah. After 5 minutes of coaching experience he became our technical director. God bless the guy.

McT is what says on the tin. He's all passion and little more. He'd probably be half decent as a backup B2B player but that's all.
We have 3 better b2b players: Bruno, Fred, VDB. Matic is our best #6. We should buy another DM and keep McT as a fringe squad player for cover.

People like to hype up Garner (or they used to), would be interesting to at least see him get a shot instead of McTominay
Levitt looked a much better player in pre season. I like the look of Galbraith far more. We need to buy a first choice DM right now and maybe one of the kids can replace Matic next year or the year after, because Matic's clearly on his last legs.

Skills

Snitch
Hopefully with Ole gone, that's the end of him in our starting XI. Awful footballer

eire-red

I would imagine this is probably the end of his Manchester United career as a central figure. If we hire a progressive manager, surely he'll be a peripheral figure?

Could be sold for decent money and easily do a decent job for a midtable PL side. Unfortunately, just not up to the level for a team expected to challenge for top honours.

United in sin

Solskjaer's dismissal will surely signal the end of McTominay's meritless run in the starting 11 and probably the beginning of the end of his United career.

His academy status can't protect him in a more progressive set up. He's been the poster boy for the failed 'cultural reboot'

clarkydaz

Solskjaer's dismissal will surely signal the end of McTominay's meritless run in the starting 11 and probably the beginning of the end of his United career.

His academy status can't protect him in a more progressive set up. He's been the poster boy for the failed 'cultural reboot'
He will be here till 30, the board will see to that

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On the penalty, Bruno made a mistake with his wild wild swing. But i don't understand, how McTominay lost to Joshua King when competing on that slow harmless high ball?? Just how did he then turn it into fecking penalty?? :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would imagine this is probably the end of his Manchester United career as a central figure. If we hire a progressive manager, surely he'll be a peripheral figure?

Could be sold for decent money and easily do a decent job for a midtable PL side. Unfortunately, just not up to the level for a team expected to challenge for top honours.
Maybe a coach that actually cares about passing/building up play could teach him it? I genuinely think our lack of care/coaching in this department is why our midfield look so clueless.

the only thing we seem to work on is win the ball back, then pass it wide/forward asap. We have no idea how to recycle possession effectively or pass it out from the back when being pressed.
On the penalty, Bruno made a mistake with his wild wild swing. But i don't understand, how McTominay lost to Joshua King when competing on that slow harmless high ball?? Just how did he then turn it into fecking penalty?? :lol: :lol:
Looks like he got a small pull on his arm which unbalanced him, then his left foot slipped on the grass and he came tumbling down.

Skills

Snitch
Maybe a coach that actually cares about passing/building up play could teach him it? I genuinely think our lack of care/coaching in this department is why our midfield look so clueless.
There's a limit though on what a coach can teach. For example I think AWB is a more teachable example - he's got some of the tools already, and needs to develop a few others to actually be more useful (i.e. refine his positioning in and out of possession, and then also a cutback pass/cross). That's a realistic scope to ask a player to develop

McTominays a central midfielder, who's just not comfortable or capable with the ball at his feet. He can't take a ball on the turn, doesn't have much range or vision and off the ball he needs a lot of work too. That's asking a lot for a coach to teach him at the age of 24-25, when there are 20 year olds with most of those fundamentals nailed down

Then on top of that, is it actually worth the effort? We've already invested way too much gametime into him, and I'm not seeing much value out of it

Most of our players can't be judged because of the lack of coaching. Fred, Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Sancho etc. but with McTominay I just don't see how coaching improves him. When a player does the wrong thing that can be fixed, but when a player does nothing at all? How do you fix that. He's just too limited.

lost7

McTominay has barely progressed because we haven't had proper coaching in place. Will be interesting to see whether he'll develop into a quality midfielder or if he'll be left behind once we appoint a good coach. I'm going to be open minded and see what happens

Adam-Utd

There's a limit though on what a coach can teach. For example I think AWB is a more teachable example - he's got some of the tools already, and needs to develop a few others to actually be more useful (i.e. refine his positioning in and out of possession, and then also a cutback pass/cross). That's a realistic scope to ask a player to develop

McTominays a central midfielder, who's just not comfortable or capable with the ball at his feet. He can't take a ball on the turn, doesn't have much range or vision and off the ball he needs a lot of work too. That's asking a lot for a coach to teach him at the age of 24-25, when there are 20 year olds with most of those fundamentals nailed down

Then on top of that, is it actually worth the effort? We've already invested way too much gametime into him, and I'm not seeing much value out of it
while that's true i'm not sure he completely lacks the technique required. We've seen him have plenty of good performances before, I think it's more of a systematic issue.

Our players need to be more drilled, they need to have subconscious patterns to rely upon instead of free reigning it. Only a few are good enough to think that quickly and make it up as they go along, but the likes of Mctominay aren't.

There's a reason teams with worse players than us can play better football, structure and repetition is always more important in team sports.

Roboc7

It’s not worth the effort if the next manager tries to continue with what Ole was trying to do with him. He’s never going to be the next Carrick or whatever else they were thinking,

Ole massively over estimated Mctominay’s ability and regarding him as an undroppable starter was just madness. If the next manager can see him for what he is, find a role that suits his strengths and use him less then he could be a good squad player.

Mctominay also needs to sort his attitude out, he can’t afford his effort levels to drop off like they have done or not to track runners etc. Also needs to focus more on his own game rather than walking around pointing and trying too hard to be a leader.

Villarreal 0:2 Man Utd

Ekeke

A bit better with his passing today. 2 or 3 good attempts at a switch or firing a ball into an attacker in an advanced area, obviously I'd prefer 5 or 6 per game but its better than the usual 1 per game McTominay comes up with. For a gameplan where we had less of the ball and were playing defensively but still wanted to attack at times, McTominay overall had a good game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's criminal that people compare him to Fred. Fred isn't anyhwere good enough but at least has some qualities, especially in a functional team.

He shouldn't be anywhere near our starting XI, I would rather play Pogba-Bruno as defensive midfielders than him, he gives nothing defensively either. What a disappointment of a player he's turned out to be.

Ekeke

It's criminal that people compare him to Fred. Fred isn't anyhwere good enough but at least has some qualities, especially in a functional team.

He shouldn't be anywhere near our starting XI, I would rather play Pogba-Bruno as defensive midfielders than him, he gives nothing defensively either. What a disappointment of a player he's turned out to be.
:confused:

Idxomer

Went from non-footballer in the 1st half to playing relatively well in the 2nd.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
A bit better with his passing today. 2 or 3 good attempts at a switch or firing a ball into an attacker in an advanced area, obviously I'd prefer 5 or 6 per game but its better than the usual 1 per game McTominay comes up with. For a gameplan where we had less of the ball and were playing defensively but still wanted to attack at times, McTominay overall had a good game.
Yep, defensively in the second half especially, he had some good interventions near our box and a couple of vital wins in the middle of the park as well. If he focused on that side of his game he could be really useful.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought he was poor in the first half but good in second, especially after Bruno came on.

thepolice123

Simply too limited on the ball. He can't pass under pressure and goes for the easy option most of the time. Many times he took one touch too many and the angle gets closed up.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He can play a somewhat decent pass when he’s in space, but he is awful at picking up the ball when being marked and doing anything other than playing it back or sideways.

Until he learns to pick up the ball on the half-turn, he’s not fit to play for us as a 6.

He’s so bad at building up the play, a major part of why we struggle so much.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Solid tonight.
Showed his strength breaking from defence a few times.
Should be encouraged to do this further up the park too.
More of the same please.

L1nk

Somehow this guy is absolutely stealing a living at this club. Fred gets a lot of flack and rightly so a lot of the time, but christ on a bike he's double the player McT is, play DVB there until we get a much better CM option. This guy is the definition of deadwood if ever i've heard it, a complete passenger. Especially in the first half, fortunately he improved a little in the second but my word, how he is untouchable in team selection i'll never know

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Stop waving your arms as if you have clue. Carrick won't be fooled as easy as Ole.

McT can't complete basic passes and his defensive positioning is atrocious.

Fred, Matic and Donny every time.

Abhinav

Not good enough to be a starter. So many times either did not see the pass or was scared to play it forward. Really slowed our plays & needs to be replaced with a better passer for us to look better as a team.

Roboc7

He was dreadful for most of the game, hangs Fred out to dry. He did at least make some contributions towards end of the second half but he just can’t continue starting all the time.

I think understand why he goes missing on the ball but no excuse for his laziness off it.

Rajma

If a new manager doesn’t limit his time to a very minimum he will find himself sacked quite soon.

Lewnited

Everything good that Villareal did in the first 60 minutes had something to do with him or our fullbacks. Woeful. Hides just enough that he doesn't often look glaringly bad, but he was basically a ghost today. Picked up a little when the general level of the team went up.

Ekeke

He can play a somewhat decent pass when he’s in space, but he is awful at picking up the ball when being marked and doing anything other than playing it back or sideways.

Until he learns to pick up the ball on the half-turn, he’s not fit to play for us as a 6.

He’s so bad at building up the play, a major part of why we struggle so much.
He's better at it than Fred who has been caught with a bad touch or poor choice many times for us.

McTominay's problem on the ball is more that he'll take the ball in, turn, run with the ball a bit and an opponent will foul him and instead of driving past and making the most out of the fact that opposition player is now out of the picture, he just takes the freekick so it stops our momentum. He's a big strong boy and he likes to run the ball and today for example only Ronaldo completed more dribbles than McTominay. He's better at it than his passing. Again he played at least 2 or 3 good passes into attack but that isnt a lot (just more than his usual) and thats the area where he needs to improve his output.

Oranges038

That first half was bloody rubbish. Second half not so bad.

Still not good enough.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Didnt help the first half taking about twenty touches of the ball each time.

Better in the second half.

Adam-Utd

He's in such poor form at the moment. We give academy players far too much belief, they've got invincible plot armour it seems.

If he plays he has to play higher up the pitch like he did against Leeds. Sitting so deep just doesn't suit him at all.

DarkXaero

No idea why he continues to get starts and so many minutes. It is blatant favoritism imo, because it clearly ain't his playing form or performance level on the pitch.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's in such poor form at the moment. We give academy players far too much belief, they've got invincible plot armour it seems.

If he plays he has to play higher up the pitch like he did against Leeds. Sitting so deep just doesn't suit him at all.
That's where he's pretty damn good, like a Khedira. He'll never really get enough if any games for us in that part of the pitch though. He's really good at ghosting late into the box.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s really just not good enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.