5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke511

He'll be out of the team soon enough, it isn't 'Mates FC' anymore.

The new system makes it harder for him to hide and is shown up more as the weak link.
Fletcher's still about, he might see McTominay as his heir :wenger:

Bobski

Why? I think that Donny would be pretty good as deep lying midfielder
Why, given he has never played that role and all his instincts are to get into forward space?. Could he transform into a Jorginho type, don't think so, lacks the passing range, defensive instincts or game management ability.

luke511

Why, given he has never played that role and all his instincts are to get into forward space?. Could he transform into a Jorginho type, don't think so, lacks the passing range, defensive instincts or game management ability.
:confused:

Idxomer

32 passes in 90 minutes from a midfielder is not good enough when the team has 60% of the ball. As someone said, hard to see some standout quality that McTominay brings so you start him regularly. As a squad option, yes.
And he only made 25 of them.

Walters_19_MuFc

People will continue to moan about him, and I myself feel he needs to be involved in games more, but after Fred and McTominay, you have Matic, which means a massive drop in energy off the ball.

I think it's no surprise we have been linked with a high energy player in Haidara. Whether we get him or not, we need someone like that to rotate with McTominay and Fred, simply because they won't be able to play every game at that intensity. That, and you are always looking to add better quality to the side where you can.

sp_107

Until he improves his game, we should look at playing Fred(6)+Donny(8)+Bruno(10)

As per the new system everyone supporting each other so above 3 in midfield might work

NoLogo

Simply not able to play in a deep position tbh. Not good enough in his positioning, doesn't offer enough passing options for other players, which you need to be 100% able to do if you play there, and his timing on the tackle is shaky at best. He would probably excel in a role like Fellaini played for Everton as an AM target man so to speak.

NoLogo

People will continue to moan about him, and I myself feel he needs to be involved in games more, but after Fred and McTominay, you have Matic, which means a massive drop in energy off the ball.

I think it's no surprise we have been linked with a high energy player in Haidara. Whether we get him or not, we need someone like that to rotate with McTominay and Fred, simply because they won't be able to play every game at that intensity. That, and you are always looking to add better quality to the side where you can.
Honestly I don't see that. McT jogs about the pitch 90% the time and rarely ever sprints to close space, unlike Fred. I can remember him doing it maybe 2 or 3 times today, that's about all the energy he excerts. Matic probably doesn't spring more, agreed, but I feel like VDB would most certainly be better in that regard and most likely also put more effort into making himself available for passing options, the only thing he lacks compared to McT is the physical presence.

the_cliff

Honestly I don't see that. McT jogs about the pitch 90% the time and rarely ever sprints to close space, unlike Fred. I can remember him doing it maybe 2 or 3 times today, that's about all the energy he excerts. Matic probably doesn't spring more, agreed, but I feel like VDB would most certainly be better in that regard and most likely also put more effort into making himself available for passing options, the only thing he lacks compared to McT is the physical presence.
I'm not the biggest Mctominay fan but that's just wrong.

Guapa

Thought he was really poor today,probably our worst performer.Rate him though so hopefully he'll come good for us once we find his best position what ever that is

thepolice123

There was this moment in the match when he received the ball in acres of space, above you can see Dalot making the overlap past the Palace player and he opts for the square ball which went out of play. This guy is incredibly limited on the ball.

Foxbatt

There was a moment when he was just jogging back and Sancho sprinted past him to defend.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was good again today. He is an important player for us and the most underrated in our squad.
I mean people are saying to drop Mctominay for VDB :lol:

Like is football really that complicated?

If Fred decides to go on a press and it leaves VDB as the sole defensive midfielder :lol:

It's only him and Matic who can even resemble to do a deep CDM job in our squad. It's why we need a replacement for Matic very badly.

El__Jingo

Ronaldo was getting the ball more often that Scott today in a game where we had 61.2% of possession. This isn't a one off either, happens pretty much every game. I don't actually see him improving, his goals that were useful have dried up too.

Player​
Mins​
Passes​
Passes Per Min​
Donny van de Beek​
5​
6​
1.20​
Harry Maguire​
90​
72​
0.80​
Fred​
90​
71​
0.79​
Alex Telles​
90​
63​
0.70​
Jadon Sancho​
61​
40​
0.66​
Bruno Fernandes​
85​
54​
0.64​
Victor Lindelöf​
90​
49​
0.54​
Mason Greenwood​
29​
14​
0.48​
Diogo Dalot​
90​
43​
0.48​
Anthony Elanga​
15​
7​
0.47​
Cristiano Ronaldo​
90​
37​
0.41​
Scott McTominay​
90​
32​
0.36​
Marcus Rashford​
75​
24​
0.32​
David de Gea​
90​
15​
0.17​

You can possibly forgive our forwards not getting the ball as much, but our defensive midfielder?

tells you everything we need to know, cannot stand seeing him play for this club, he is no where near good enough. its not even like hes out of form or anything! sooner he is replaced the sooner we will actually start to look like a football playing club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ronaldo was getting the ball more often that Scott today in a game where we had 61.2% of possession. This isn't a one off either, happens pretty much every game. I don't actually see him improving, his goals that were useful have dried up too.

Player​
Mins​
Passes​
Passes Per Min​
Donny van de Beek​
5​
6​
1.20​
Harry Maguire​
90​
72​
0.80​
Fred​
90​
71​
0.79​
Alex Telles​
90​
63​
0.70​
Jadon Sancho​
61​
40​
0.66​
Bruno Fernandes​
85​
54​
0.64​
Victor Lindelöf​
90​
49​
0.54​
Mason Greenwood​
29​
14​
0.48​
Diogo Dalot​
90​
43​
0.48​
Anthony Elanga​
15​
7​
0.47​
Cristiano Ronaldo​
90​
37​
0.41​
Scott McTominay​
90​
32​
0.36​
Marcus Rashford​
75​
24​
0.32​
David de Gea​
90​
15​
0.17​

You can possibly forgive our forwards not getting the ball as much, but our defensive midfielder?
Wow. Yeah, like Rashford, I don't think it'll fly long term under Rangnick for McSaucey.

luke511

I mean people are saying to drop Mctominay for VDB :lol:

Like is football really that complicated?

If Fred decides to go on a press and it leaves VDB as the sole defensive midfielder :lol:

It's only him and Matic who can even resemble to do a deep CDM job in our squad. It's why we need a replacement for Matic very badly.
It could have something to do with him playing well every time he's been used there..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It could have something to do with him playing well every time he's been used there..
VDB's best performance came when he played next to Matic because Matic can hold his position and let VDB go on his runs.

VDB with Fred or Mctominay is nowhere near good enough because it lacks deep defensive ability.

It's the same reason why Pogba always played better with Matic in a 2 man midfield rather than when he played with just Fred or Mctominay.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Meh, I don't rate him, but I think people are being harsh. He's clearly being played out of position.

luke511

VDB's best performance came when he played next to Matic because Matic can hold his position and let VDB go on his runs.

VDB with Fred or Mctominay is nowhere near good enough because it lacks deep defensive ability.

It's the same reason why Pogba always played better with Matic in a 2 man midfield rather than when he played with just Fred or Mctominay.
VDB had a MOTM performance next to Fred as well, it certainly was good enough. Van de Beek is just as capable defensively as McTominay in the double pivot anyway so it's kind of irrelevant whether his partner is Fred or Matic.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Done well breaking up attacks today, unfortunately they were our own. It’s going to take more than one game to change that natural instinct of sideways and backwards but Ralf is already on it and makes it very clear he doesn’t like that. Time will tell for a few of these players, Scott being one.

Cabin Clown

Honest pro but not good enough for what we need in the middle of the park. Either give Donny a chance beside Fred or look for an upgrade in Jan.

acnumber9

Him being an undisputed starter sums up whey United are where they are right now. He’s below ordinary. One good game in 20 won’t change that.

Zoo

I was exasperated when Edouard gently manoeuvred him out of the way on the edge of his box.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
32 passes for Scott today. Fred managed 72...

Honestly, what does Scott do all game? He does feck all.
His lack of involvement is criminal. And today wasn’t even a particularly bad individual performance. He just has no clue how to make himself available for a pass. Imagine how much better we’d be with two Fred’s instead of the McFred partnership?

I feel bad for slagging him off. I really want him to succeed. But he’s a terrible hindrance to our football, in most games he plays. Such an obvious weak point in our squad. Surely Ralf will drop him for VdB soon?

Seij

Definitely the weakest link by far in the starting 11. His academy status has really protected him and gave him way more leeways than most other players. We desperately need a January signing or give somebody else a run of games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Squad player at best. He'll have 4-5 really good games over the course of a season, but the remainder are like today where hes among the bottom 3 performers on the team. Hes a good lad and i love his attitude, but his skills are not up to standard if we want to compete for the big prizes

United in sin

Well Done Scotty!

Not your best position or playstyle with now Fred being the furthest up and you having to guard.

Decent game with some mistakes like the rest of the team Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho etc

Keep going on your new role until we get a new proper CDM! Then you can play in your more natural role and positions too :)
Say what? According to many on here McTominay supposedly always babysits/covers for Fred defensively. Which one is it?

United in sin

Has ralf mentioned Scotty? What makes you think he's warmed to him?
Rangnick on McTominay and Fred in 4-2-2-2: 'Scotty and Fred are almost perfect defensively on that. There were one or two mistakes. In the first-half, two square passes - one from Scott and one from Fred. I don't like those kind of balls in midfield from those positions.'

He's hardly going to throw anyone under the bus first game. He was very complementary of Ronaldo too and I thought Ronaldo's second half was terrible

Oranges038

He offers nothing, anonymous most of the time. He's just not good enough on the ball.

Roboc7

He’s the sort of player that should be struggling to make the bench not starting every game. Easiest player to improve on in the starting eleven just a shame it’s not going to happen until the summer.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Im very surprised rangnik has warmed to him so much
Because a lot of you need to realise that until we make signings in that position he’s a must for his energy and ability to get about the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.