5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Viper

Just glad that ETH was watching this guy play today. Hope he's replaced for good. He isn't even good enough as a squad player.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The odd thing is, he was always known for getting stuck into the game, but it appears he's lost that now. I wasn't surprised to see the low skill levels, but I was to see him pulling out of challenges or just going in half hearted.
It's a myth that he gets stuck in because he's just crap and can't tackle without fouling.

-Supreme-

Dominated by every PL midfielders, all perceived effort and quality isn’t there.

We should get £20m and needs to be sold whilst it’s not too late when he will be warming the bench at best next season.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I think he’s horribly limited as a player. Bench option at absolute best for him.

And I actually don’t think even the mid to lower Prem teams would fancy him as a prominent starter. I can see him being one of those players who yo-yos between Premier League and Championship.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Alright, that's enough of him being first choice for Manchester United thanks. I like a good joke as much as anyone but this one's gone on a bit long now.

Roboc7

Not even good enough to be a squad player, will be delighted to see the back of him sooner or later. He should be starting 5-10 league games if at all, that’s his level.

Today his biggest issue was same as it is most games, the other team’s midfielders were better than him. Only a handful of league games a season does he come up against players that aren’t better than him.

Art

Art the artist
We failed to buy Sean Longstaff for 50 million that one summer so instead decided that we need to make one ourselves.

TOKUGAWA-X

Scott is the most limited, headless chicken midfielder we have had in a very long time.

Ten Hag, do your thing if you want to be succesful here.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He actually started the match quite well for the first 20 minutes or so. Once again it appeared he was making the conscious effort to make himself available, get on the ball and look forwards...only for him to quickly fall back into his usual style after that.

Castia

I generally believe if he was loaned to a Championship club he wouldn’t stand out.

I’ve never seen a more average player start so many games for United, 40 games and mediocrity every year.

Imagine him in training to keep getting picked?? Must be a Makalele/Zidane hybrid at Carrington

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He is a midfielder who cant pass. Has bad first touch and tackles like a wrestler. If he is still our midfielder next season, we may as well abandon all hope for next season. We need to find a different role for him.
Lets see what ETH can do with him but I have lost all hope for him

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
On the basis of this season, off you feck McTominay.

He might be the worst first-choice academy graduate in recent memory. As much as Lingard's time has turned toxic, he's scored in cup finals and done his bit. McTominay is simply average.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is one of the least talented regular first team players I have seen since I have been following this club.

jesperjaap

Never rated him and some of the comments from our last three managers about him I have never understood, all seemed fans. I remember a lto of people comparing him favourably with Rice a couple of years ago and saying no point going for Rice as similar and McTominay better.......was always totally of the opposite opinion.

Saying all that, unless (nto that I would mind) we are offloading about 20players this summer, McTominay isnt going. As much as I dotn rate him either, I wouldnt actually sell him this summer. I think he does actually have a role in certain games, he is part of a Brtish core, seems a godo character in the dressing room....yes none of these are really abotu him as a player. But I think in the short term within the club he may be useful to ETH.

I agree with the general consensus though, he most certainly shouldnt be starting many games and isnt the frist player to name on the bench either, I feel a squad role for a season to be assessed and then maybe sold is about right for him.

WOuld also say pretty similar about Fred, who man seem to be a fan of. Again he seems to have a good attitude, professionalism, a postivie influence in the dressing room....but really is he any good? Had a handful of reasonable games and 3/4 really good games playing a little further forward, but Fred is also not a starting eleven player, offers more from the bench but I still think considering the price we paid for him, he has been a really poor signing and little better than several that have cost similar fees and been slaughtered, we will not wn trophies with Fred in our midfield, cetainly not in the pivot. Will be interesting to see how Garner and Hannibal progress for example as really we have no quality midfield options now...and dotn name VDB as one

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he is still in the first 11 regularly next season, i'm fearful.

ShoePolish

Cleverley was worse, he just had a better team around him.
No chance McT goes in summer, we've got more glaring holes elsewhere. He might be a bit part player next season, but he ain't going, don't kid yourselves.

Mmm-Qatarian

I guess the major issue I have with McTominay is not so much how he's performed this season but that I don't ever feel that he's consistently played much better than this. I think what you're seeing this season is really just McTominay's level. He has good matches in him but his complete absence of positional sense, combined with the fact that he's fairly average technically, entirely limit his ability to impose himself on matches.

It seems unlikely that he'll be leaving the club this summer, and with our midfield as thin as it is I wouldn't even want him to, but I would say right now he is probably the easiest player to improve on in our starting XI and has been for quite some time now.

Idxomer

He is one of the least talented regular first team players I have seen since I have been following this club.
I doubt you'll find anyone worse who played more games than McTominay for Manchester United, he's closing on 200 games ffs.

jem

I watched about 10 minutes and even in that time he misplaced several passes and was generally useless.

Redlyn

He is a midfielder who cant pass. Has bad first touch and tackles like a wrestler. If he is still our midfielder next season, we may as well abandon all hope for next season. We need to find a different role for him.
Lets see what ETH can do with him but I have lost all hope for him
He's crap at his most suited role so not sure what you have in mind short of putting out cones.

Jacob

No chance McT goes in summer, we've got more glaring holes elsewhere. He might be a bit part player next season, but he ain't going, don't kid yourselves.
I still hope he will be the unexpected statement sale

CloneMC16

Cleverley did more on the pitch than McT does. Even if it was always sideways and backwards passes. McT plays 90 minutes and does less than whoever his partner is in midfield every game. Even if they get subbed.

I cannot understand why our managers like him so much. There are other players that aren't rated highly, but I see something in them. They at least do something well. With him, I just don't see it. He must be the managers pet off the pitch. If he's still starting next season, we have massively failed in the transfer market.

Tarrou

A Manchester United player who starts in centre midfield can't receive the ball on the half turn. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

They teach that to 8 year old centre midfielders. It's one of the fundamentals of playing in midfield.
well anyone can do it if they have enough time and space right, even I can do it

but in a tight space like that he isn't proficient and would get tackled too often, especially against City's midfield

JeffFromHK

Every time Crystal Palace was on a counter, McTominay just slowly jogged back.

and I have never seeen him done a single clean sliding tackle this season, NOT EVEN ONCE (which Keane used to do at least once or twice PER GAME).

Anyone who allege that "He GoT PASShion" must not have watched the games

Chripper

There's going to a few pissed off people when ET
I can understand that but I almost feel the opposite, they start from zero and have to earn back trust
I get it. But as a new manager, you have no other alterative but to come into things with a fresh eye and forget about the past.

I'm a Scotland fan, so I've seen McTominay more than most United fans. I know what his weaknesses are. But I also have faith that they can be ironed out.

I'm confident that ETH will take a real shine to him. And I'm also confident that ETH will improve him.

From Ralf saying that McTominay can be a future United captain, I'm fairly certain that RR will give Ten Hag a glowing reference about McTominay.

Chripper

Every time Crystal Palace was on a counter, McTominay just slowly jogged back.

and I have never seeen him done a single clean sliding tackle this season, NOT EVEN ONCE (which Keane used to do at least once or twice PER GAME).

Anyone who allege that "He GoT PASShion" must not have watched the games
Who slide tackles anymore? This isn't the 50s-90s.

"If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

~ Paulo Maldini

NoPace

I still hope he will be the unexpected statement sale
Yeah, I think he'll be sold. There were rumours Southampton and Leeds were interested. He's big, experienced now and only 25. Think he could fetch 15M or so and that's half an actual player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@GifLord Can you post the simple pass he misplaces around 50:15

He's never been good enough as a midfielder and it was a shock when Mourinho promoted him.

Chripper

Are you taking that quote seriously? :lol:
Yes.

Paulo Maldini is many things: A world class footballer, extremely good looking, awesome in the sack (I'm told), a distant relative of Zeus, the next superhero to be introduced into the MCU, but humourist, he is not.

It's true. If you go in for a (slide) tackle then it's the last resort. Translation: stay on your feet.

I grew up watching the great AC Mila defence of Maldini, Baresi, Costa curtains and Tassotti. Don't recall any of them sliding around like Vinny Jones.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes.

Paulo Maldini is many things: A world class footballer, extremely good looking, awesome in the sack (I'm told), a distant relative of Zeus, the next superhero to be introduced into the MCU, but humourist, he is not.

It's true. If you go in for a (slide) tackle then it's the last resort. Translation: stay on your feet.

I grew up watching the great AC Mila defence of Maldini, Baresi, Costa curtains and Tassotti. Don't recall any of them sliding around like Vinny Jones.
If you grew up watching Maldini, you would have known he is the GOAT at slide tackling. Also you would be old enough to know "Lahm special tackle" too.

Chripper

@GifLord Can you post the simple pass he misplaces around 50:15

He's never been good enough as a midfielder and it was a shock when Mourinho promoted him.
@anyone can you post the Hollywood ball that Bruno passed (towards his own box) that lead to the Palace goal?

Keeping things neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.