Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I quite rate him and think he will have a good career. He is cery valuable all-action Player for a side that is happy to play reactive football.
ETH used him very well this season.

Hughes35

I really like Scott. In the right team he could be a really good player, has a great attitude and is a proper athlete.

I just don't think he's top level or quite good enough on the ball for atop 4 or top 6 team. Another one that would be great for an Everton / West Ham.

Rockets Redglare

If he plays every week under a good coach he will develop into a better player. I don’t think he can do that here. Whenever he comes on, I get a slight feeling of despair. He’s often done okay but never does enough to challenge for a place in the XI.
He just isn’t good enough for a top team and there’s no disgrace in that.

The issue is United have had such a threadbare and dismal midfield that a player like McTominay has ended up with far more appearances than he ever should have.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has to be a priority departure this summer. Not only is he not good enough to play for this club, he’s also in a position where he would likely be our most lucrative sale of the summer this year. Timing is everything with these deals and we absolutely MUST get better at timing our sales. It’s either sell this summer for in and around 40m, or sell in two summers for 4m.

We need to raise funds and his sale is a no brainer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Has to be a priority departure this summer. Not only is he not good enough to play for this club, he’s also in a position where he would likely be our most lucrative sale of the summer this year. Timing is everything with these deals and we absolutely MUST get better at timing our sales. It’s either sell this summer for in and around 40m, or sell in two summers for 4m.

We need to raise funds and his sale is a no brainer.
Agreed.

and then replace with Wout

Sylar

I really like Scott. In the right team he could be a really good player, has a great attitude and is a proper athlete.

I just don't think he's top level or quite good enough on the ball for atop 4 or top 6 team. Another one that would be great for an Everton / West Ham.
He would also get less scrutiny and have less demand in terms of end product, which might funnily enough lead to more productivity with less pressure.

Nothing wrong with having a good premier league career at a non top six/seven/eight club

Hughes35

He would also get less scrutiny and have less demand in terms of end product, which might funnily enough lead to more productivity with less pressure.

Nothing wrong with having a good premier league career at a non top six/seven/eight club
Yea exactly. A bit like when Jonny Evans / Chris Smalling were at Utd and got a load of stick..... Moved down a level (Still to a very high level) and then everybody started saying what good players they are.

Scott will have a good career, and I hope he does. Seems like one of the good guys.

Golden Nugget

Yea exactly. A bit like when Jonny Evans / Chris Smalling were at Utd and got a load of stick..... Moved down a level (Still to a very high level) and then everybody started saying what good players they are.

Scott will have a good career, and I hope he does. Seems like one of the good guys.
100%. I think there’s a good player in him - and there’s periods where he plays well; just not consistent enough for a big club and not suited to a club where we want to be possession based. In a mid table club where there’s less spotlight, I think he’ll be good

Bwuk

He’d of been a far better striker for us than Weghorst.

Andersonson

He plays very well for Scotland! As Martial and others have said, he is the best trainer at the club. Maybe he can turn things around and be a better player for us as well? Rumours are we're selling Fred, so maybe we will keep McTom around for another year

Bwuk

He plays very well for Scotland! As Martial and others have said, he is the best trainer at the club. Maybe he can turn things around and be a better player for us as well? Rumours are we're selling Fred, so maybe we will keep McTom around for another year
It depends how we want to play him.

He can be a very good player when he’s running box to box, and pressing high up the park.

Hes not a CDM.

Red Royal

Sell him while his stock is relatively high. Whatever we get we can use towards getting slightly better quality, him for Mount would be a good upgrade.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It depends how we want to play him.

He can be a very good player when he’s running box to box, and pressing high up the park.

Hes not a CDM.
I agree with this.

Watching him closely for Scotland, he doesn’t have the positional awareness and discipline to take the holding midfield spot in a team.

He is decent defensively though hence why he’s been used in a back 3 but it’s not his best attribute.

Going forward he is actually a very good finisher. He doesn’t panic and he scores with both feet. He’s pretty well rounded for a midfielder and his passing has significantly improved, possibly since Ten Haag came in.

Bwuk

If we held out for 25m, no doubt. But surely we'd take 15m for McTominay. Exactly who would spend more than that for him?
Neither of them could afford 15m anyway.

McTominay will also be on about twice the highest earner at either clubs salary.

Adamsk7

I mean I don’t particularly rate him for us but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. As a more offensive 8 he’s half decent and can play multiple roles. £15m is ridiculous. We sold Dan James for like £20+. McT is a £30m player all day long

lex talionis

Neither of them could afford 15m anyway.

McTominay will also be on about twice the highest earner at either clubs salary.
I suppose you're right. We might as well then keep him as deep cover when we're comfortably ahead or woefully behind or in domestic cup matches.

OleGunnar20

Super Frank is the modern day Big Sam.
I mean I don’t particularly rate him for us but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. As a more offensive 8 he’s half decent and can play multiple roles. £15m is ridiculous. We sold Dan James for like £20+. McT is a £30m player all day long
Agreed. Even assuming he's on inflated wages, I'd say 25m would be the minimum really.

He's a very well rounded player if played in his correct role and clearly a top professional. He's just not up to our standard which is no shame. Very few are.

I think he could go on to do as well as if not better than Pereira at Fulham who has looked pretty decent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There used to be a place for him as an occasional starter. The Darron Gibsons of the world. The nothing special and not so good technically but has a decent work rate. But the league has moved on to the point where if there's a weak link in your midfield, you're done. Your opponent is going to exploit that weakness. Working hard is not good enough anymore and in the case of Scotty, he has found a way to hide while still working hard.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
There used to be a place for him as an occasional starter. The Darron Gibsons of the world. The nothing special and not so good technically but has a decent work rate. But the league has moved on to the point where if there's a weak link in your midfield, you're done. Your opponent is going to exploit that weakness. Working hard is not good enough anymore and in the case of Scotty, he has found a way to hide while still working hard.
He's twice the player Gibbo ever was, also twice the professional.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aye, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling him for less then £30m - he's clearly a Premier League quality midfielder who would do an excellent job at a mid-table side.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Very interesting headline on the BBC Sport page today :D:drool::drool:

edgecutter

We should be looking to get rid. He's never been consistent enough, and ETH refused to use him at the end of the season which tells its own tale.

I loved Robbie Keane when he played for Ireland, but he would have been shite playing for united. There is levels and Scott is levels below what we need.

izec

Chelsea would easily get 30-40m for him. We are garbage at selling. Our hope is some club is desperate for him and offers us a good amount without us having to do much.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He would be fantastic in a Sean Dyche midfield but sadly we don’t have the money to obtain him.

Champ

Chelsea would easily get 30-40m for him. We are garbage at selling. Our hope is some club is desperate for him and offers us a good amount without us having to do much.
Like Chelsea did for Gilmour, Bakayoko and Jorginho right?? (Just merely picking on midfielders here)

izec

Like Chelsea did for Gilmour, Bakayoko and Jorginho right?? (Just merely picking on midfielders here)
Bakayoko was average and failed in the PL. Jorginho was 30 and out of contract. Gilmour never was a regular. Their James Garner.

Scott is a versatile and established player, entering his prime and is already for years a regular in our squad and for Scotland. PL proven. 30-40 is the going rate.

I would compare Scott to Gallagher in their squad. And they would fetch 30-40m for him.

Champ

Bakayoko was average and failed in the PL. Jorginho was 30 and out of contract. Gilmour never was a regular. Their James Garner.

Scott is a versatile and established player, entering his prime and is already for years a regular in our squad and for Scotland. PL proven. 30-40 is the going rate.
Gilmour is/was an up and coming player highly regarded by many, and probably more valuable than McTominay, especially considering he is also a regular in his national team and was back when he was sold.
Jorginho was/is a regular starter for a trophy winning international side and was sold to a major rival,
Bakayoko was signed for a huge fee and sold for precisely nothing.

To say Chelsea would get £40m for McTominay is a fallacy, history tells us this.

James35

£25m max and we should snap anyone’s hand off if offered it. Such a basic player and they are the ones we need to replace if we have any aspirations of being more than just a decent premier league team.

AndySmith1990

I would compare Scott to Gallagher in their squad. And they would fetch 30-40m for him.
McTominay is crap and £15-£25m is a fair price for such a limited player

Status
Not open for further replies.