5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I thought he was great today in many ways, and had him as my motm, but also feel he is one reason why we can’t control the midfield.

criticalanalysis

He had a great game and his performances recently have been much better. Doesn't worry me as much as he used to and he's a useful addition in that midfield. He has a particular set of skills...
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for De Jong I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my ball go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

Cue:

:drool:

norm87cro

The guy is underrated IMO amongst the CAF. Having said that I really rate him as a good squad option but nothing more. He would probably do an O'shea under SAF

RedCurry

He is playing well, but we have no control of the midfield with him playing.
I don’t think McTominay deserves too much blame for lack of control. He’s after all just one player. We lost so much composure on the ball that we just started to launch aimless long balls towards Rashford following the disallowed goals and the ball kept coming right back at us. McTominay broke up play, got key defensive headers in the box to actually restore some kind of calm.

foolsgold

Seems to be a player that benefits from good coaching, Jose liked him and I hope he's a success under EtH

Teja

Ok I'll own up and say I was one of the people laughing when there were comments (leaks?) earlier saying McT will be unleashed because of the Casemiro signing but he's really kicked on since then.

He still has many areas in which he's poor but he's been using his strengths really well.

Positives

Can be a one-man press breaker when he runs forward with the ball, have to double team him to stop him

Has a good tackle in him, deals with aerial balls well, good on set plays, can pass moderately okay unlike Fred.

Has a decent shot

Negatives

Absolutely no sense of defensive positioning, not the type to read danger and snuff it out like Fabinho, Casemiro etc

Doubt he has the intelligence to create triangles and passing options when we eventually decide we want to build play out again. Hides behind oppo defenders.

Waynne

I won't lie. I'm his biggest critic but my god has he shut me and a few others up with these monstrous performances.
According to Ten Hag he's even keeping Casemiro out of the starting 11.

OT1214

Loved his clearance in our box towards the end. Martinelli would have surely scored if not for that intervention from Scotty.

MiracleInMadrid

Really benefits from having a centerback pair who actually can bring the ball forward on their own and pass it past the opponent midfield.

Under Ten Hag he is being played more to his strengths instead of having to play as a deep playmaker.

Once Casemiro is fit he will have to start on the bench in most games though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His first half performance was the best I've seen him play. He was passing in between the lines and dribbling out of tight areas with consumate ease. Absolutely shocked me given I think the guy isbbang average and can't pass the football. Well done!

Hughes35

Think he's been great the last 4 games. I said a few games ago he deserves to keep his place in the team while he plays like this.

romufc

For once, our manager is saying, play for your place. Yet, some fans want names in the team, but they blamed the old managers for doing so.

Alot of people calling for Casemiro and Ronaldo has no justification at the moment.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
For once, our manager is saying, play for your place. Yet, some fans want names in the team, but they blamed the old managers for doing so.

Alot of people calling for Casemiro and Ronaldo has no justification at the moment.
Indeed. Every single player earned next start against Palace. Individual performances is one thing, but also 4 on the bounce and against decent to top teams, I think we're getting some momentum going.

romufc

Indeed. Every single player earned next start against Palace. Individual performances is one thing, but also 4 on the bounce and against decent to top teams, I think we're getting some momentum going.
Yep, now the fringe players will get the chance in the Europa league. This will be the chance for the players to step up because Soceidad are not a bad team either.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I can't stand mctominay usually but he has been much better recently. Crazy what a little confidence can do a team/player.

I'll echo what someone else said in here though. He's doing well but I also feel like he's part of the reason we can completely control midfield. Hard to explain but he just isn't on the level to play triangles/first touch.

He's proved me wrong a bit already this season so let's see if he can improve that way

OmarUnited4ever

He's never going to be a world beater, but he's an efficient, effective player who follows tactical instructions near enough to the letter.
Glad there's a few on here that will have to eat their words.
as you said he is no world beater, he is also limited in many ways, but, when he plays like he has been playing in the past few games and he does it consistently, it gives the team & Ten Hag an option, imagine if Fred also gets some good form under his belt, with Casemiro & Eriksen and suddenly we have some sort of a competent midfield, with ways to mix it up depending on the needs of the team.

Last year and the first game against Brighton soured me on McTominay, earlier in his career I knew his limitations but I did not think he was a shit player, but last season and against Brighton this season, he was really horrendous in a lot of games and there was no other options but to play him, which maybe affected him negatively (being consistently selected despite his terrible form).

flameinthesun

Ok I'll own up and say I was one of the people laughing when there were comments (leaks?) earlier saying McT will be unleashed because of the Casemiro signing but he's really kicked on since then.

He still has many areas in which he's poor but he's been using his strengths really well.

Positives

Can be a one-man press breaker when he runs forward with the ball, have to double team him to stop him

Has a good tackle in him, deals with aerial balls well, good on set plays, can pass moderately okay unlike Fred.

Has a decent shot

Negatives

Absolutely no sense of defensive positioning, not the type to read danger and snuff it out like Fabinho, Casemiro etc

Doubt he has the intelligence to create triangles and passing options when we eventually decide we want to build play out again. Hides behind oppo defenders.
I think if anything Mct has shown he is very good at sniffing out danger and also covering the cb's defensively. Is he prime Busquets, Fabinho no, but in this system he is improving in all facets of his game. The main bit I've been impressed with is the defensive side of the game. In this run each game he has come out with good interception and tackling stats, even on the eye test we are seeing him fill holes much better than before. Whilst its down to him improving its also probably due to the system around him helping him and EtH giving him clear instructions.

jeff_goldblum

He will start on thursday - perfect game for him to make his full debut
Absolutely. McTominay's been great the last few games and has more than justified his place in the first XI for our league games. Thursday is a great opportunity to give him a rest and get Casemiro some minutes in a game where his experience playing in Spain is going to be really valuable.

Skills

Snitch
Why wasn't he playing with this kind of intensity before? I've actually seen him run the last few games, rather than usual meandering jog back

If you're someone like him, where the talent is lacking the effort can not be anything short of 100%

Teja

I think if anything Mct has shown he is very good at sniffing out danger and also covering the cb's defensively. Is he prime Busquets, Fabinho no, but in this system he is improving in all facets of his game. The main bit I've been impressed with is the defensive side of the game. In this run each game he has come out with good interception and tackling stats, even on the eye test we are seeing him fill holes much better than before. Whilst its down to him improving its also probably due to the system around him helping him and EtH giving him clear instructions.
Yes he can challenge but he doesn't have that positional awareness defensively. Lets runners past, gets caught ball watching etc.

He is an #8 with some specific strengths and weaknesses, so let's see how it plays out.

I think the biggest question in my mind is how he can adapt when we stop hoofing it from GKs.

Skills

Snitch
Yes he can challenge but he doesn't have that positional awareness defensively. Lets runners past, gets caught ball watching etc.

He is an #8 with some specific strengths and weaknesses, so let's see how it plays out.

I think the biggest question in my mind is how he can adapt when we stop hoofing it from GKs.
Might be an option to just use him like Fellaini. Hoof it to towards him because he's decent in the air (obviously not as majestic as Fellaini was)

KjaAnd

Monster performance. Did everything you could want from a CDM: won the ball, tracked his man, kept calm under pressure and played a couple of nice passes. I do think he should've prevented Ødegaard from making the pass that led to their goal though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t care what people think but to me he is better than Oshea and Fletcher. Those two under the managers Mctominay has been playing under would look bang average.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
One of the players who has made clear improvements under ETH. His off the ball movement is one of his biggest improvements, as he was prone to standing close to or behind opposition players when our back four had the ball, but now he is constantly moving and showing for the ball. His passing looks good too, played a few forward passes into the front 4 yesterday. Good performance. I hope he can keep it up.

Sylar

If you didn't know that was mctominay a lot of our fans would be saying hes the type of midfielder we need, just on that performance.
Yeah thats fair. I think having a system and better players around him (and a manger to coach him) will help him. Its been a lot of 'just go out there and run' it seems. I think hes been more disciplined under ETH and more so, get the ball and give it to the better players mostly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

100%

Fans are fecking clueless. They just think throw big names in and hope for the best.

ETH is building discipline and making people earn their slots with good performances. Nothing is more important than the team, and 4 wins in a row? damn right you guys have to be patient and wait your turn.

I have no doubts Casemiro is understanding and agreeing with this. He will get his chance, and he will have to make sure he grabs it, which is what we've all been asking for.

If you told me Mctominay was playing so well he's keep Casemiro out of the team 6 months ago i'd have called an insane asylum for your ass that second.

Cloud7

He’s been really good in a system that gives him a clearly defined role to stick to, rather than the free form chaos that was the previous managers he worked under.

Status
Not open for further replies.