5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Making himself available for the ball, playing more on the half turn, trying balls around the corner. Much better.

ForeverRed1

He’s becoming what we have needed for a long time. Showing for the ball, keeping it simple and barely losing it. Looking really good. Maybe the Casemiro signing has lit a fire under him.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Good player in another good game shocker!?

Who'd have thought it.

Bobski

One thing he has really become quite good at, and you see it more with confidence, is dealing with an aggressive press. This is qualified though as when it comes on his blindside he can struggle but if someone over commits when pressing him when he can see them he is very good at stepping away, using his body and moving past them.

OrcaFat

Making himself available for the ball, playing more on the half turn, trying balls around the corner. Much better.
Yes. All improvements are most welcome.

This boy has a big heart. I’m very happy to see him getting praise for good performances. I think he has a long way to go but seeing him improve makes it more likely he will get to the level we need.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
One thing he has really become quite good at, and you see it more with confidence, is dealing with an aggressive press. This is qualified though as when it comes on his blindside he can struggle but if someone over commits when pressing him when he can see them he is very good at stepping away, using his body and moving past them.
I’ve never been his biggest fan but I think that’s always been his biggest strength. He’s always had the ability to go past a player or two and hold off his man. His issue has always been showing for the ball and lacking the technical qualities to distribute the ball enough through his passing. Under a better coach he’s really been able to work on his positional game and while I still think he’s abit technically lacking, that’s fine if he can keep it simple alongside the correct partner.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah, some people do overrate Fletcher. Probably they remember only his best period (which was bloody good) but even in his lesser periods he was still significantly better than McT.
I’m not sure even why they are being compared. Fletcher had a much more expansive game than McT. Is it because they are both Scottish midfielders?

OrcaFat

I’m not sure even why they are being compared. Fletcher had a much more expansive game than McT. Is it because they are both Scottish midfielders?
Dunno how it started. I suppose they have a few things in common, yeah, Scottish, came here young, question marks over their credentials for first XI, both CMs. Pretty different otherwise.

Probably someone threw in “McT is just as good as Fletcher” and off we went…

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The Villareal EL final game was his best game before ten Hag came. Recently, he’s been showing the same level of performance as the Villareal EL final game. I expected ten Hag would like Dalot and I believed Dalot would improved under ten Hag but I didn’t expect McTominay.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The Villareal EL final game was his best game before ten Hag came. Recently, he’s been showing the same level of performance as the Villareal EL final game. I expected ten Hag would like Dalot and I believed Dalot would improved under ten Hag but I didn’t expect McTominay.
McTominay certainly has improved, and looks far more accomplished, but he still has more improvement in him.
He always showed flashes of excellent play, but also many games where seem to disappear, so to see him more involved in every game is very pleasing.

romufc

McTominay certainly has improved, and looks far more accomplished, but he still has more improvement in him.
He always showed flashes of excellent play, but also many games where seem to disappear, so to see him more involved in every game is very pleasing.
People say he has improved, I dont think he has because as the poster said, he was good in the Villareal game.

Ten Hag has come in and given him a role, he knows what he has to do, he knows who to pass to when he gets it.

Under Ole and Rangnick, he was a 6/8 and the 2 DM's were in charge of doing everything, breaking up play, stop counters, shield the back 4, pick the ball and progress when the skills didn't match,.

jeepers

Looks like he had an excellent game from those two compilations posted.

I’ve been heavily critical of him but I also said before ETH was appointed that McT should excel under a proper coach and tactician.

Hopefully ETH can help McT find a more consistent higher level, closer to that level he usually hits in that one match against Leeds.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
People say he has improved, I dont think he has because as the poster said, he was good in the Villareal game.

Ten Hag has come in and given him a role, he knows what he has to do, he knows who to pass to when he gets it.

Under Ole and Rangnick, he was a 6/8 and the 2 DM's were in charge of doing everything, breaking up play, stop counters, shield the back 4, pick the ball and progress when the skills didn't match,.
I'd call that an improvement.

For me, the turning point for Scott when I knew he was a player was the below game. Against Spurs in December 2019, came back from an injury and just dominated the pitch. We instantly looked like a better team and Mourinho (Spurs manager at the time) said Scott “dominated their midfield”.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scott-mctominay-2019-20-performances.448811/page-58#post-25009490

The Caf in the link above was lavish in their praise. Someone compared it to Keane coming back from injury and the team raises its level due to his intensity.

Ole called him “undroppable” after that performance. It was the first time a lot of us noticed that he was actually better on the ball than we thought.

Now we have ETH a proper position-based, technical coach who can up Scott’s consistency and take his game to new heights and it looks like it’s paying off. I’d say he’s in the best form of his career so far.

Tony247

What a turn around this guy is having this year. So happy for him. Hope his form continues.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fancy him to score today. And be booked, of course. Put some money on both.

Credit to him, he’s playing better than ever at the moment. Not sure what it leans, having watched him for a number of years and been thoroughly unimpressed, but let him see where it takes him. He’s had a big performance at the Etihad before too.

Last edited:

AusRed

He's been really good recenty... today will be a good litmus test as to where he is at!

Gottabekiddingme

McTominay, if accidentally found at Real Madrid will not make the reserve team, let alone dream of benching Casemiro. The guy is living the dream right now.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Some of you need to get your heads checked. 3 week wankfest for this?
New season same shit. 2-3 decent games and the praises keep flowing.
He's mediocrity at it's finest

Borussia Teeth

Purple patch over. Back to his usual self of hiding, back passing and giving sloppy balls away. Casemiro in!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Back to his usual chasing shadows. But he'll kick few players against the likes of Leeds and people will say he should be played based on good form.

Ace of Spades

And this is the problem with McTominay, if we want to be a possession based team, we just can't have a player at the base of the midfield who is so limited. No problem with his effort, but so limited in other areas.

JeffFromHK

his biggest problem is his inability (or unwillingness) to dash full speed to make himself available for passes or track the running opponent players. He keeps jogging like a marathon player and it makes our midfield too predictable to easy to play against.

He also has no one-touch passing ability (which is essential to by-pass presses) which makes us prone to presses.

Status
Not open for further replies.