Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was poor today, although I don’t feel the setup suited him either.

klayton88

Stop making out Casemiro is 10x better. He looks like a goomba from the Mario games and is slow as anything.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Here we go. Come on lads, let it all out, all those weeks of having to grudgingly acknowledge McTominay playing well, all that pent up vitriol.

McTominay was one of our better players - not that that is saying much because the entire team was shit. He gave the ball away poorly a couple of times which Neville picked up on, so naturally whipped the Caf into a frenzy. Defensively he made several good contributions in the first half, playing as basically a one-man midfield against Manchester fecking City.

It was obvious this was a game to drop one of Bruno or Eriksen to get that extra defensive midfielder in, although hindsight is 20/20. The likes of Sancho, Antony, Rashford, Bruno and Eriksen (I.e. the entire rest of the midfield and attack) as well as the full backs were all much worse than Scott in that first half.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Here we go. Come on lads, let it all out, all those weeks of having to grudgingly acknowledge McTominay playing well, all that pent up vitriol.

McTominay was one of our better players - not that that is saying much because the entire team was shit. He gave the ball away poorly a couple of times which Neville picked up on, so naturally whipped the Caf into a frenzy. Defensively he made several good contributions in the first half, playing as basically a one-man midfield against Manchester fecking City.

It was obvious this was a game to drop one of Bruno or Eriksen to get that extra defensive midfielder in, although hindsight is 20/20. The likes of Sancho, Antony, Rashford, Bruno and Eriksen (I.e. the entire rest of the midfield and attack) as well as the full backs were all much worse than Scott in that first half.
I thought that United fans learned their lesson on Lingard and James but i guess not.
McTominay is shit player. He had short (really short) purple patch and all of sudden he is good and everything is forgotten? No, he is not good enough. He still can't pass the ball and with him we still can't play possession game.
Benching Casemiro because of McTalentless is mind blowing decision by ETH

Hammondo

Agreed, well said.

Hammondo

I thought that United fans learned their lesson on Lingard and James but i guess not.
McTominay is shit player. He had short (really short) purple patch and all of sudden he is good and everything is forgotten? No, he is not good enough. He still can't pass the ball and with him we still can't play possession game.
Benching Casemiro because of McTalentless is mind blowing decision by ETH
Casemiro has been poor for us every time he's played.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

City running through an open midfield probably did more to get United fans annoyed than a couple
of missplaced passes.

Golden Nugget

I’m not a big fan of him, and I think Casemiro should have started, but it should have been alongside McTominay, not instead of him. Casemiro being alone would have led to similar results - one of Bruno or Eriksen should have started on the bench, or out wide to protect and try to control the midfield more.

DutchCruijff

He's utter shit. We cannot control a game with someone like him, a player who lacks awareness and is shit on the ball.

Casemiro and Fred in the middle.

Irwin99

The set up did him no favours at all but again, it's just frustrating. Of course players can have bad periods of form, the odd bad match etc. but it's just a consistent theme with some of these guys, and he's one of them.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I’m not a big fan of him, and I think Casemiro should have started, but it should have been alongside McTominay, not instead of him. Casemiro being alone would have led to similar results - one of Bruno or Eriksen should have started on the bench, or out wide to protect and try to control the midfield more.
This. Bruno was the one who needed to start on the bench today. Casemiro and McTominay putting themselves about (not that Scott did that much today) with Eriksen setting tempo while we try to shithouse our way through the game wouldn't have been unacceptable.

Ten Hag has to realise that United fans are used to bruising our way through certain games. Fergie used to play Phil Neville in centre mid against Arsenal. There are games where we know we can't match the opponent in terms of ability but can get something out of through graft and City away is definitely one of those.

Greck

I'm actually tired of this boom bust cycle because I actually want him at the club. He can be part of a pretty good rotation that will bolster our chances to win the lesser cups.

The problem is when you can't allow a utility player to play well without elevating him to midfield savior. Every. single. time. We'll be back on this delusion merry go round just in time to expose his limitations all over again. Y'all don't learn? Did you see how he was behind the play on every other goal? He's a big lad and it impairs his mobility defending space. He also isn't the best reader of the game and never tracks runners. Half the time our right side was getting overwhelmed in the first half he was right there in the vicinity tracking no one. He switches off and lets them overwhelm our CBs. These issues always pop up when we have to defend space.

Last edited:

kundalini

Rubbish performance. Out-jumped by Haaland for City's 2nd goal. Gave the ball away cheaply in the first half.

jeepers

This guy is survivor. Championship quality player who is playing regulary on first 11 of Man Utd for years.
He will start next game for sure.
Some poster on here said that he will be like Stevie G if McT ever plays in the championship.

edgecutter

Once Erikson isn't bossing the midfield he looks like he always does a bang average player that is playing in a team that he shouldn't be anywhere near.
It was the same for Scotland the other day with mcginn ans mcgregor being the stand out players in the Scottish midfield, but people here want to keep believing that he will come good.

slored1

He was poor today but come on, City's midfield is levels above ours. Eriksen was much worse if we're picking out individuals.

Drizzle

So he was terrible, became good for a few weeks, and now is terrible again. Hmm.

The truth is he's a decent midfielder, a bit limited but with some real strengths to his game. A perfect squad player, good attitude and uncomplaining. A latter day Phil Neville.

What he shouldn't be is first choice from now on unless Casemiro is injured or hits a spectacularly bad run of form.

Oranges038

Might not have been the worst. But I don't know how anyone can watch him play midfield and think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a team pushing towards the top end of the table.

He just doesn't have the abiltiy or the consistency. We should all have seen enough of him to know this by now.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s the epitome of bang average. When he becomes the epitome of a United midfielder then we are shite.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rubbish performance. Out-jumped by Haaland for City's 2nd goal. Gave the ball away cheaply in the first half.
:lol: of all the thing to criticise him for.

A 6'5 giant with a running leap? he'd outjump 99.9% of humans

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
City running through an open midfield probably did more to get United fans annoyed than a couple of missplaced passes.
I mean, that first half was more than “annoying”. It was pathetic from all concerned. That said, City cutting through an open midfield is no real surprise when we set up the way we did. It was painfully obvious that we needed a more defensive and balanced midfield setup for this game - McTominay is never going to be able to stand up to the entire City midfield practically by himself.

Ekeke

He was, but he was also quite good helping out the defence from the kickoff as City swarmed us from the start and he made a few clearances from inside the box helping to bail the defence out. So he did have some better parts too.

While he obviously wasnt up to playing against City's midfield today and needs to win that header with Varane off the pitch and his height the main thing he's bringing, he wasnt helped by Eriksen being poor alongside him and Bruno giving the ball away too easily.

Bobski

I mean, that first half was more than “annoying”. It was pathetic from all concerned. That said, City cutting through an open midfield is no real surprise when we set up the way we did. It was painfully obvious that we needed a more defensive and balanced midfield setup for this game - McTominay is never going to be able to stand up to the entire City midfield practically by himself.
Yep, it was a dumb selection. You know City overload the middle, and with the lack of effective workrate from up front and Bruno wandering McT and Eriksen were often left against 4/5 players, and that is not likely to succeed.

He still made more tackles than any other player on the pitch but even his biggest fan wouldn't say that his defensive positioning would stand up to the way City move the ball and players around. Casemiro was needed to sit and read passes and let McT or Fred go and be a spoiler.

Phil

Yup this would have been the move for me

Andersonson

This. Playing in midfield with wingers standing that high is suicide. He was alone against 5 men several times

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunately we’re so poor in the air as a team it’s a hard decision to not play him in every game. I don’t think he’s a particularly good header of the ball but he is at least tall. Take him off the pitch and we’re basically hoping that Varane single-handedly wins every single header in our box. While our goalkeeper stays rooted to his line. That won’t end well.

Even having Lukaku or Ronaldo would help us a lot. Van Persie used to win a lot of headers from set-pieces and corners too. Rashford, Sancho and Antony could all go months without winning a header, anywhere on the pitch.

Bobski

Unfortunately we’re so poor in the air as a team it’s a hard decision to not play him in every game. I don’t think he’s a particularly good header of the ball but he is at least tall. Take him off the pitch and we’re basically hoping that Varane single-handedly wins every single header in our box. While our goalkeeper stays rooted to his line. That won’t end well.

Even having Lukaku or Ronaldo would help us a lot. Van Persie used to win a lot of headers from set-pieces and corners too. Rashford, Sancho and Antony could all go months without winning a header, anywhere on the pitch.
Casemiro is really good in the air, well maybe he is just really good at positioning himself, and having such good core strength making it hard for people to overpower him.

Buy yeah, a real issue moving forward. Not too thrilled with possibility of a Lindelof-Lisandro pairing for any period.

Skills

Snitch
Casemiro is really good in the air, well maybe he is just really good at positioning himself, and having such good core strength making it hard for people to overpower him.

Buy yeah, a real issue moving forward. Not too thrilled with possibility of a Lindelof-Lisandro pairing for any period.
Doesn't ETH want to sign that Timber as well?

Bobski

Doesn't ETH want to sign that Timber as well?
Have to think that a season of PL football will sober him to that idea.

Lisandro is averaging 0.7 aerial duels won per game, probably at a fairly high percentage though, but that is like 13th most at Utd, which is really not ideal for a CB for as much as people pretend it is not a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.