5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippycup

I don't think he's useless the way some are labelling ('we'd be better with 10 men', etc.) But I just don't think he's the requisite standard. I can understand holding on to him now given there is really no one else to back up Casemiro, but if we can get a good offer for him in the summer, particularly considering our financial issues, I think we'd be mad not to take it.
Personally I'd hold onto him but it's all about opinions.
What I would say. If he was put up for sale I'd bet that many clubs would be after him. Including clubs fighting for the top 4.

Zippycup

If McTominay is good enough to be in our squad, can you name 3 PL midfielders that you would say are not? This ‘squad player’ thing seems to be the easiest way to remove any requirement of standards for players someone likes, simply by saying ‘they are a squad player’. So what is that standard, and who is below it if not Scott? I genuinely need an idea of what is not good enough to play for United if not Scott.
I dont even know what this means.
Are you trying to say that McTomjnay is the worst midfielder in the Premier League?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I dont even know what this means.
Are you trying to say that McTomjnay is the worst midfielder in the Premier League?
Yes you do, as you can read. The question was simple enough. ‘He’s okay as a squad player’ is such a cop out. To gauge where you draw your line, I’d like to know some players who are NOT okay as squad players, in your eyes.

Red_toad

Can we sell him to Newcastle and just promote Collyer, even if he’s nowhere near ready? McTommy simply vanished against Arsenal, the usual I’ll stand between the midfielders and with clear passing route to him. He does this so many times and somehow still gets gametime.

Last edited:

Zippycup

Yes you do, as you can read. The question was simple enough. ‘He’s okay as a squad player’ is such a cop out. To gauge where you draw your line, I’d like to know some players who are NOT okay as squad players, in your eyes.
What are you talking about?
You want me to list players who aren't good enough for our team as squad players?
Why?
Unless you think he is the worst midfielder in the PL then its a moot point. Do you think that?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What are you talking about?
You want me to list players who aren't good enough for our team as squad players?
Why?
Unless you think he is the worst midfielder in the PL then its a moot point. Do you think that?
Yes.

In mathematical terms, I’d like to see your working out. Whether I think he is the worst or not is irrelevant. I think he is not good enough to be a squad player. I am checking that you have not concluded that he is on the basis of you perhaps thinking any professional midfielder is good enough to be a squad player. Or any PL midfielder. And if that is not what you think, I’d like an idea as to where your line is drawn. Because clearly, it is not drawn at Scott McTominay.

Jordan_mufc

If a player was able to give you a 7 or 8 out of 10 performances then he wouldn't be a stand in player. He would be player of the season.
I'm not talking about all season. I'm talking about when they're called upon. If we think back to our glory days, we had the likes of Park, O'Shea, Brown, Ole, Fletcher (for parts), Chicharito. These players would come in and give you a solid performance most of the time.

Are you of the belief that squad players should regularly drop 5/10 performances?

Jordan_mufc

What? You're not describing a squad player, you're describing a first team regular. You're describing how everyone describes Denis Irwin, arguably the best fullback ever in the Premier League.

McTominay is a squad player and hasn't started in a long while, and we were up against the most in form team in the league. Were people expecting him to seamlessly replace Casemiro and boss the midfield? He's also not a holding midfielder.
You've just decided to ignore everything I've said. We know he can't play well consistently, but the least we can expect from a squad player is a solid performance when called upon. Those are the standards.

I didn't expect him.to boss the midfield, but let's not pretend that he wasn't a liability in there. Unable to string a pass together and didn't close down well.

If that's what you want from a squad player then we are in big trouble.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You sure about that? People expect the fringe players to be as good as the main players. It's been like this since day dawn.
I remember people saying the same thing about players like Fletcher and Butt.

Fred will be the hero one week and a villain the next.
Okay then let me rephrase: I DON'T expect our fringe/squad players to be as good. That's ridiculous and I would never do that. That being said, I don't think I'm asking for too much when I want whoever fills in for a player in the XI to be technically proficient in the basic areas of football to not force the team to have to play around him, especially as a midfielder. I think we can go out and get plenty of decent squad midfielders that would provide more as depth pieces than McTominay, and none of them would cost more than 20m. That's where my frustration lies, as I've had to watch a player for almost 6 years now play midfield for one of the greatest clubs in the world while lacking basic abilities that I would expect of someone in that position.

honirelandboy

The simple thing is he is not a Manchester United standard squad player. He'd do okay for a bottom five club in the league and nothing more. His positioning and passing is horrendous. Slows down everything. Squad players at a club like United should be players like Tielemans, Fred, John McGinn, Ndidi, Doucore, Neves, James Ward Price, Kalvin Phillips etc. not Scott McTominay. If we want to return to our glory days winning premier leagues and Champions leagues squad players like Scott are not going to help us accomplish that and the proof is that United have not won a trophy since 2017. Look what happened against Arsenal, we need better squad player and definitly need two midfielders in the summer along with a striker, Let Scott off to a newly promoted team or something.

Last edited:

croadyman

Personally I'd hold onto him but it's all about opinions.
What I would say. If he was put up for sale I'd bet that many clubs would be after him. Including clubs fighting for the top 4.
Nope would rather sell and get either backup CDM or get Tielemans as rotation for Eriksen,however know we haven't the guts to make a big call this late in window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What? You're not describing a squad player, you're describing a first team regular. You're describing how everyone describes Denis Irwin, arguably the best fullback ever in the Premier League.

McTominay is a squad player and hasn't started in a long while, and we were up against the most in form team in the league. Were people expecting him to seamlessly replace Casemiro and boss the midfield? He's also not a holding midfielder.
So what is the actual point of a squad player if, seemingly by your description, they are justifiably unreliable? Like, what actual function do they provide if they are expected and excused for coming in and being poor? Is it simply to ensure we have XI human beings wearing our shirt?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Again. Revisionism at its best.
Fletcher was considered to only be in the team because he was Scottish.

What are you talking about in regards to DVB and Fred? McTominay has played more minutes than those to combined
Maybe when he was breaking through on 2003. By the time he was at McTominay's age he was a vital player for us, and key to our success. In fact, McTominay is pretty much at the age Fletcher sadly played his last full-season for us.

What Fletcher achieved and offered as a player dwarfs McTominay into even further insignificance.

Roboc7

Maybe when he was breaking through on 2003. By the time he was at McTominay's age he was a vital player for us, and key to our success. In fact, McTominay is pretty much at the age Fletcher sadly played his last full-season for us.

What Fletcher achieved and offered as a player dwarfs McTominay into even further insignificance.
Fletcher was 25 when he missed the Champions League Final in 2009, he was a vastly superior player who contributed a lot more at a younger age. Yet we still get this lazy and inaccurate comparison between the two.

Zippycup

Okay then let me rephrase: I DON'T expect our fringe/squad players to be as good. That's ridiculous and I would never do that. That being said, I don't think I'm asking for too much when I want whoever fills in for a player in the XI to be technically proficient in the basic areas of football to not force the team to have to play around him, especially as a midfielder. I think we can go out and get plenty of decent squad midfielders that would provide more as depth pieces than McTominay, and none of them would cost more than 20m. That's where my frustration lies, as I've had to watch a player for almost 6 years now play midfield for one of the greatest clubs in the world while lacking basic abilities that I would expect of someone in that position.
Or maybe you have to be a realist and take into consideration that McTominay has barely kicked a ball in months and was dropped into a midfield two with Eriksen against the league leaders away from home.
I'm honestly flabbergasted by the abuse he's received from yesterdays game. A game in which he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch

JeffFromHK

Fletcher was 25 when he missed the Champions League Final in 2009, he was a vastly superior player who contributed a lot more at a younger age. Yet we still get this lazy and inaccurate comparison between the two.
Fletcher was also in PL team of the year at the age 25-26 (i.e. the same age as McTominay is now) and he was also the captain of Scotland NT - and McTominay isn't even a starter for Scotland

Zippycup

Nope would rather sell and get either backup CDM or get Tielemans as rotation for Eriksen,however know we haven't the guts to make a big call this late in window
Tielemans will not join the club to be a bit part player.

Zippycup

Fletcher played in a much better team. In fact the difference between the two teams is chalk and cheese. Do you think that played a part?

Zippycup

I'm not talking about all season. I'm talking about when they're called upon. If we think back to our glory days, we had the likes of Park, O'Shea, Brown, Ole, Fletcher (for parts), Chicharito. These players would come in and give you a solid performance most of the time.

Are you of the belief that squad players should regularly drop 5/10 performances?
What the actual feck is going on in this site today:lol:
If a player is capable of giving a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance every time they play then they will ALWAYS play.
Also, the majority of those players you mentioned got dogs abuse at times. And they played in a winning team.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Fletcher played in a much better team. In fact the difference between the two teams is chalk and cheese. Do you think that played a part?
Certainly in Fletcher's formative years, and I'm sure McTominay would be a better player for having played under SAF/in those sides. But it doesn't change the fact that he has consistently looked a weak link in the armor under ETH.

If we're being honest, his progress has halted massively, and even possibly declined in the last 12 months. I think it will take a fair amount for him to prove himself this season, and only a Glazernomics summer window could save him.

OT_United

Certainly in Fletcher's formative years, and I'm sure McTominay would be a better player for having played under SAF/in those sides. But it doesn't change the fact that he has consistently looked a weak link in the armor under ETH.

If we're being honest, his progress has halted massively, and even possibly declined in the last 12 months. I think it will take a fair amount for him to prove himself this season, and only a Glazernomics summer window could save him.
Totally agree, he hasn't improved since Ole at all.
A good squad player yeah, but I don't know if he ever will fit an ETH system and football.
The Eriksen role is destined for FDJ.

JeffFromHK

I do think the 26 years old Mctominay is an inferior player to he was 4 years ago at 22
there is not a single department of game he has improved in the past 4 years.
Crossing is an aspect of game that doesn't need too much natural talent but can improve with endless practice, he doesn't seem to have done much crossing drills
he didn't look too out of place vs Barcelona. Now he can't even show his superiority to Charlton players

Zippycup

Yes.

In mathematical terms, I’d like to see your working out. Whether I think he is the worst or not is irrelevant. I think he is not good enough to be a squad player. I am checking that you have not concluded that he is on the basis of you perhaps thinking any professional midfielder is good enough to be a squad player. Or any PL midfielder. And if that is not what you think, I’d like an idea as to where your line is drawn. Because clearly, it is not drawn at Scott McTominay.
Why?
Unless you think he is the worst midfielder in the Premier League then its a moot point. Also, what do you mean "where I draw the line" Your talking gibberish in the hope that something sensible comes out.

InfiniteBoredom

Bloody hell
So no actual answer then? I figured as much.

For someone who is vociferously defending him, you have so far failed to muster any argument in favour of the player beyond ‘I think he’s good and I’m entitled to my opinion’, repeat ad nauseum.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why?
Unless you think he is the worst midfielder in the Premier League then its a moot point. Also, what do you mean "where I draw the line" Your talking gibberish in the hope that something sensible comes out.
You’re avoiding answering a simple question on the basis that you are not confident in your answers.

How can ‘if you think McTominay is good enough to be a squad play, can you give me an example of anyone you think isn’t’ be classified as ‘jibberish’? It’s an extremely simple question. Stop asking me ‘why’ and just answer the question. Perhaps when you start revealing some actual names the ‘why’ would become apparent to us all.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Or maybe you have to be a realist and take into consideration that McTominay has barely kicked a ball in months and was dropped into a midfield two with Eriksen against the league leaders away from home.
I'm honestly flabbergasted by the abuse he's received from yesterdays game. A game in which he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch
This literally isn't me complaining strictly about his play yesterday. It's a fecking running theme for years now of him having the same drawbacks that are just inexcusable for a United midfielder.

Not sure how you are so surprised at the "abuse", people don't like watching midfielders that hide from the ball and is an automatic pass back if he ever receives the ball.

Jordan_mufc

What the actual feck is going on in this site today:lol:
If a player is capable of giving a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance every time they play then they will ALWAYS play.
Also, the majority of those players you mentioned got dogs abuse at times. And they played in a winning team.
I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend. The reason that squad players do not play every week is that they can't perform to the required standards consistently. So no, they would not play every week as they can't maintain the required levels at a top team consistently.

However, at top clubs, the squad players should be able to come in and fill in for 1st team players on the odd basis and perform competently. What makes great players great is that they can do it every three days. What makes good squad players good, is that they can do it every two weeks.

What type of performance do you expect from squad players if you don't mind me asking?

If you can't understand that, then I'm not sure where else this conversation can go.

Semigoodlookin

The passing stat from yesterday is hilarious. He was playing in midfield and as the most defensive mid. As well as showing the literal miserable passing, the stat shows he was also not hoovering up and making tackles in defensive midfield because more passes would result from those interactions. Furthermore, it shows he was also not acting in the transition from defence to midfield. Sure, I know the team was going long a lot to counter Arsenal, but McT's lack of involvement is staggering. He is a midfield player without the skillset to play midfield. One of the strangest players I have seen because his game makes no sense.

Zippycup

Things we've learned about McTominay

He's actually 28 years old.
He's league two level at best.
We'd be better off playing nobody over him.
Its better to sell him even if it weakens us for the rest of the season.
We don't want a transfer fee, Newcastle can have him for free (Newcastle who are above us in the league)
He's gutless.
Worst CM in the league
He shouldn't play ahead of "big game player" Fred
He's a coward
One of the worst midfielders ever seen.
He's not as good as Casemiro (the best defensive mid in the world)
He's a fraud.
It's insulting to Casemiro that McTominay is back up to him.
Has there been a worse player to play 200 times for the club?
Championship player (upgrade from League two I suppose)
He's a poor mans Darren Gibson (Yes. That Darren Gibson)
He loves the club, its the only reason he's here.
McTominay makes one poster miss Fellaini
We should replace him with Fernandez or FDJ
It's Mourinhios fault
Has a career because Mourinhio wanted to troll Pogba
He's actually 28 next season so we need to sell now.
We should bring in Declan rice to replace him.
He should be performing to a 7 or 8 out of 10 every time hes needed

While some posts in this thread have been decent and give constructive criticism on the player so many posts have been like the ones listed above.
Is it any wonder some posters on here are defending him. He is nowhere near as bad as so many on here make out.
I've said it before. He hasn't played many games over the last few months and he was dropped into a midfield two with Eriksen (who didn't play well at all) against the league leaders away from home.

Last edited:

Zippycup

This literally isn't me complaining strictly about his play yesterday. It's a fecking running theme for years now of him having the same drawbacks that are just inexcusable for a United midfielder.

Not sure how you are so surprised at the "abuse", people don't like watching midfielders that hide from the ball and is an automatic pass back if he ever receives the ball.
I've seen this so many times down the years. A player who is disliked by the fans will rarely do anything right and every little mistake (sometimes ones that aren't their fault) will be magnified and nitpicked at until such times that they convince themselves that the entire result falls on that players head. Even when that player wasn't the worst player on the pitch.

AndySmith1990

Things we've learned about McTominay

He's actually 28 years old.
He's league two level at best.
We'd be better off playing nobody over him.
Its better to sell him even if it weakens us for the rest of the season.
We don't want a transfer fee, Newcastle can have him for free (Newcastle who are above us in the league)
He's gutless.
Worst CM in the league
He shouldn't play ahead of "big game player" Fred
He's a coward
One of the worst midfielders ever seen.
He's not as good as Casemiro (the best defensive mid in the world)
He's a fraud.
It's insulting to Casemiro that McTominay is back up to him.
Has there been a worse player to play 200 times for the club?
Championship player (upgrade from League two I suppose)
He's a poor mans Darren Gibson (Yes. That Darren Gibson)
He loves the club, its the only reason he's here.
McTominay makes one poster miss Fellaini
We should replace him with Fernandez or FDJ
It's Mourinhios fault
Has a career because Mourinhio wanted to troll Pogba
He's actually 28 next season so we need to sell now.
We should bring in Declan rice to replace him.

While some posts in this thread have been decent and give constructive criticism on the player so many posts have been like the ones listed above.
Is it any wonder some poster on here are defending him. He is nowhere near as bad as so many on here make out.
I've said it before. He hasn't played many games over the last few months and he was dropped into a midfield two with Eriksen (who didn't play well at all) against the league leaders away from home.
Another thing we've learned is that every player, no matter how bad they are, will have someone defending them and telling everyone they're a fine squad option

Zippycup

Another thing we've learned is that every player, no matter how bad they are, will have someone defending them and telling everyone they're a fine squad option
I know. Imagine everyone not sharing the same opinion. Crazy times we live in, eh.

rk4utd

Does he have to be the ‘worst player on the pitch’ before we suggest he isn’t good enough to play for us?

The reason he isn’t good enough is that he is very very very rarely the best player on the pitch. And for a Manchester United midfielder I personally don’t think that’s good enough

I would be surprised if Ten Hag hasn’t reached the same conclusion already, but needs must at the moment with the squad and personnel he has inherited.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
There was a hypothetical question opined on this very forum some time ago, asking if any top six clubs would want McT.

Many answers suggested no, however we now know that Newcastle are most definitely interested and want McT, this is a side 3rd in the table and in the league cup semis.

I think it's fair to say that McT is far from our midfield answer, but he is also far from being as poor as what some/most on here paint him out to be.

InfiniteBoredom

There was a hypothetical question opined on this very forum some time ago, asking if any top six clubs would want McT.

Many answers suggested no, however we now know that Newcastle are most definitely interested and want McT, this is a side 3rd in the table and in the league cup semis.

I think it's fair to say that McT is far from our midfield answer, but he is also far from being as poor as what some/most on here paint him out to be.
They are also the side with the least amount of football actually played during their matches, so it’s probably likely that they want him for reasons other than what he could do with a football.

Mcking

The difference is you're not a professional football player.

And before you come back with the "either is McTominay" gag you'll find that he is.
Daniel Whitehead plays in midfield for AFC Flyde in the National League North. He is also a professional footballer, and I'm sure he would be more than happy to step in if need be. Would make a good fringe player for Manchester United, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.